Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Paint Problems

Comments

• colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    Susan,
    Sad to say, but your in a lose/lose situation...if you have the whole car painted, thats not good!!...If they paint the hood, it's a band-aid on cancer.....my opinion?...suggestion? from someone who's been there done that?....if GM thinks it's from stone chips, well then they won't mind taking the car back on a trade in......you'll lose money if you do that but your going to lose money in any situation with that car!! Susan, cut your loses and trade the car in on another car with different paint!!! your fellow New jerseyan.................bryan
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Geeezzz..., Bryan...Really ??? There's No hope here....???
    Too depressing for me...!!! :cry:

Frank
    If she has it repainted ..the value you goes down......if they just repaint the hood, whats to say in 2 months the roof doesn't starts to peel, chip etc.....if she trades it in , she loses money....Cars are not an investment!!...you lose 5-7K when you drive off the lot with them!!...I'd get rid of that car now....If my Red Impala starts to chip, you'll see this guy dump that car in a minute......If it's only stone chips, then let them take it back as a trade!!....
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    Okay, now you have me depressed. :sick: I'm still waiting to meet with the GM rep over my paint chips, but this is not encouraging at all Susan. The customer service guy called again yesterday to see if I'd met with him yet. Says he will call again next week to check. I'm ready to file with BBB as well if he says no. With all the other problems I've had, fixed and not duplicated, this will stretch my patience. :mad: Don't know that I can afford to trade it in right now. I've only had it 6 1/2 months so don't have any real equity in it even with 0 percent interest. The saga continues.

Wanda
    Hey Bryan..seems to me that you are the man with all the background here when it comes to bad experiences with partial and total re-paints. Wow, this can be maddening..!!I'm curious about this specific area though...so, help me understand something. :confuse:
    Assuming there is documented proof a problem from GM....Then why on a (GM) trade-in would the value of her car go down if it is indeed repainted by Gm who have agreed with her that there was definately a defective paint job from the factory.Wouldn't they want to keep her business..??Sorry ,for the long winded question here. And Gee, on a private sale, would they really know the difference, say 4 years later. Do the door jams etc. etc. really give it away ??.
    I'm not challenging you or your experience here, I'm just curious as to why!!.

Talk to you later...
    Frank ;)
    Hi Frank
    Well not everyone would know that a car has been repainted, but there are quite a few out there that would!! If you've ever seen a repaint before you would be able to tell. Question is ..will they paint the whole car?..and if not, if they just paint the hood , what happens as in my case a few years ago, the roof starts to peel, chip,etc? Then Susan would have to go thru all this again! As far as the trade in goes, what I'm saying is this..If/suppose GM says it's stone chips and not a bad paint job.....Ok, then take it in to sales dept. and try trading it in, if they tell her (Susan) that the paint isn't good and they have to paint it.....WWAAALLLAAAA....go back to the service dept and tell those guys that sales says it has a bad paint job!!...On a personal note..I went thru all this with 1989 Chevy S-10...paint peeled off while I was washing it one day...I just stood there and laughed, I was to pissed off to do anything else!..Took the car to the dealer they said I used a strong detergent on it....yeah, I always wash my cars in Bensene!!!...So, they painted the hood ...rotten job , but they never the less painted it....2 months later....the roof peeled..same thing.....they told me again, I washed my car to strong of a detergent....this time....being Irish, I threatened to drive the truck thru the showroom window!!...and thats no bull!!....Finally, after 2 lousy paint jobs , I decided to give the truck to my son who was at that time ready to go to college.....since the truck was very sound mechanically and kids that go to college really don't take care of their cars anyway...I let him have it. But , before, I finished doing that, I went to my lawyer , told him what I needed him to do....and in 4 weeks I had a check from GM for $1533.......That's what it would have costed me at that time to have a decent paint job by an independent Body shop!........I mean if Susan hung onto the car for 6-7 years, put 150,000 miles on it...doesn't matter........But , hey ,everyone is different....I've been there done that with GM before and ain't a pleasant trip!!.....talk later............bryan, not a Colonel....
    Usually you can tell something has been painted because of the overspray to other parts of the car. If they decide to paint mine, especially the door jams where the paint is rubbing off, I worry about overspray to the interior. It is really evident that the paint is coming off. You can also feel the pitting when you rub your fingers over it. :sick:

Wanda
    Mornin Bryan (and all),

Many thanks !! Hope I never have to go down this
    particular winding road...
    Ok, so final question here...and what's your best guess at this point... Do you personally feel that GM has an overall problem with one of their colours (red) at this point, or can it be one of those isolated bad production day things for Susan and Wanda. If I recall, Susan has the ('07) Precision Red while Wanda has the ('06) Sport Metallic Red (Burgandy/Maroon), same as yours. At this point, You seem to be ok with yours....very strange isn't it..!! And Ooooh Ya, let's not forget something else.....you don't have any of those headaches with your fobs . You are truly blessed...!!
    Well, thanks Bryan , I hope I did not offend you in any way with the Colonel thing...It was not my intention... I was just curious and playing my name game.

Talk to you later...
    Frank ;)
    Hi Frank,
    Yeah , I keep my fingers crossed, so far I havn't had any of the problems that have shown up with the rest of the members here except for the intermittent on/off of my Onstar light. And what happened back when I had my paint problem was that it was a blue paint recall on all S-10 pick-ups.I'm not sure what will happen here, if theres only a few red paint jobs effected GM will not have a recall. I'm not sure what Wanda and Susan should do at this time...personality and finances plays a part in this also. I'm hoping everything works out for them!......talk later....bryan ps...as far as the fobs are concerned, my life style doesn't take me into situations where I need to use my fob at long distances...maybe if I needed to use it at 100 ft, I'd have a problem, but at the distances that I use it, it works fine.
  • susanm5susanm5 Member Posts: 21
    I hope my paint job comes out alright-the car is only 3 months old and I can't afford to trade it and lose thousands of dollars-even though it is paid for. I had a Cadillac that I hit a deer with and they had to replace the hood and whole front end and it came out really good. The body shop has a good reputation here so I hope it comes out good.
    Hi Sue....

This is Really great to hear.. and congratulations for holding your ground !!
    Good luck with your paint job. I'm sure everything will turn-out ok for you. The body shop manager and painter here sound like they are fairly decent guys ....
    Sorry about your loss..

Keep us posted..
    Frank ;)
  • susanm5susanm5 Member Posts: 21
    They deleted a couple of my posts,but just to update Wanda and everyone else here,GM ageed to paint my whole car after filing my paperwork for Arbitration.
    Ok, Hosts...What happened to Posts #62, #64, & #65
    Pat or Karen can you tell us...did you delete these for a reason or..???!!!

Frank :confuse:
    Susan said a naughty word..she can't help it , shes from new jersey, like me.....we have no morals... :P
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Frank,
    I believe it was a slightly offensive word that means pointed object...pick with an r after the p. :) My post was removed because it was in reply to the one removed.
    Basically, the regional guy was a jerk and I suggested she report him to the higher ups. She's thinking about it. :) It's great that things are working out for her but sad that GM still has jerks like that working for them.

Frank...my man...chill, buddy. The hosts are just doing their jobs. :)

Later,
    Ron
    I have to get my car repainted, no, no chips...but I'm the only guy here with a red car!! :cry: it's either I get it repainted or everyone here will think I'm a g..........irl :blush:
    Nah, Bryan, I'm anxious to see pictures of y'all's cars. I have a feeling they look pretty sweet. I missed my last black car when I decided to buy this one. But, this will likely be my last black car....at least for some time. Red, charcoal, or maybe pearl/white may be next for me.

Aside from pink and emerald, I'm not sure there are any other girlie colors. ;)
    Well, the fact that Wanda and Susan have the other red cars...that leaves me looking kinda...you know... :shades:..yeah , I'm working on the pictures ...takes me awhile to figure things out, like the remote on my TV...
    Thanks Ron,

AAAHHHHHHHHH Yes !!! Now I remember why...it's all coming back to me now. It was that "P" word used !!. 'Ya , I was a little surprised at the time, but forgot about it after a couple of days ...It was posted for quite awhile and so I thought that the host(S) were ok with it at the time and after. Oh well, I surely do understand now..
    Remember, I am still relatively new here with some of the in's and out's of......
    The HOST(S) (Pat & Karen) do a great Job..!!!

Many thanks
    Frank ;)
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    Bryan, don't worry - mine is Sport Red too with the tan interior and very pleased I am with it.
    Thanks, Martin....I feel better now..is yours an "06 or '07?...Leather or cloth?....SS or LT?
    '06, SS with leather. I'd post a picture but it's not unusual like some I've seen. The only customisation is a discreet 'GB' badge on the trunk lid. (Being an ex-pat Brit, I had to show the flag!)
    Mine's unusual, not because I modified anything,It's the only one that I've seen or know of that has Cloth seats, no sunroof , no XM radio....just a stripped down SS....
    Martin,
    We have a couple of Red Impala's here with paint chipping problems...do you have any problems with the paint chipping?
    None whatsoever, luckily. This paint problem may be related to a specific production date (ie a bad batch or someone asleep at the switch) For the record, my car was built in Jan '06
    Wow!!.. Thats the month mine was built!!....and I have no problems either....The other 2 Red Impalas in here that have problems are Wanda and Susan's ...could it be that...nah...I don't wanna go there..... ;) I think one is an '07 and the other is an "06...thanks for your info Martin...
    Been away for a few days, but glad to hear Susan is getting the whole car painted. I'm still waiting for the GM rep to come in, but the guy from GM customer service is still checking with me every week to find out if it's happened yet. Hope he's not the jerk (or like him) that Susan had to deal with. My situation is really sticky since my son is a salesman at the dealership, but as I told the guy CS guy yesterday, it seems to have been thrown together with all the problems it is having.

I'll take a look at the month mine was produced, but you are correct that mine is 06 and hers is 07.

Wanda P.S. sorry to hear some think the sport red is girlie. I'd have chosen white or black if they'd had them on the lot during the closeout.
  • pogo1000pogo1000 Member Posts: 7
    I recently bought a red/maroon 2006 Impala LTZ. I bought it used from a chevy dealership. I didn't notice any chips when I bought the car, but a few days later I noticed many (approx 40-50) small chips on the front plastic bumper and hood. I wondered how they covered that up where I couln't tell?

Anyways, I just want to say there is someone else out here who has that problem. Do I have any recourse with the dealer since I bought it used?

By the way, I love the way the car rides. Thanks.
    Check to see if all the warranties transferred. If so, you'll probably have to fight like the others but you should be covered the same way. It's becoming apparent that there was at least a bad batch of red paint. If everyone affected sticks together, it will make it easier for everyone to get some recourse. At least, that's my opinion. ;)
    Pogo, theres a few here who have the problem....and a couple here that don't, including me, Thank Goodness.....what month was your car manufactured?..............thanks......bryan..............ps...theres at least one person here who's getting her car repainted...
    Hey Bryan...

It sure will be interesting to see if Pogo has the same January '06 production date....You know, it's been 5 or 6 days since your question, do you think he knows where to look for it..??. And Gee..This paint chip problem doesn't seem to be as active as it once was..?? Do you think everyone has given-up here..or maybe gone on vacation ?? And, it's very strange....there's no word from the girls (Susan & Wanda) in particular..?? Oh well, you know what...
    probably, Susan is in the paint booth and is refusing to come out until her full paint job is done to her satisfaction, including door jams, and, our friend Wanda has found a boy friend and could be checking for those nail scratches around the door handles. Gee wiz , hope I didn't get tooooooo personal here.!! Just wondering..!!

Frank ;)

P.S. And, closer to home... I hear that the life story/musical " The Jersey Boys" (re: Frankis Valie and the four seasons), is a great show to see..!! Yep...I'm a big fan...
    Yeah, The Jersey Boys are awesome...come and see it!...I'm about a 45 minute ride from new york....I believe there are 5 of us with Red Impalas...Pogo, Martin, Wanda , Susan and myself...so far Susan, Pogo and Wanda are the only ones with the chip problem.... Martin and I have the same production date....Jan, "06................talk later....bryan
    Hey guys, Not sure about Susan, maybe paint fumes got her, but I'm still waiting for the GM rep to come to town ... going on 4 weeks now. The GM service guy at the 800# calls every week to find out if anything has been done. And he says he calls the dealership each week as well. Maybe they're hoping that I'll just go away. . . stupid them.

I finally looked at the date on my car... February 06. Too bad mine couldn't have been back in Jan when yours were done so maybe I wouldn't have problems.

Oh, and Frank, no boyfriend yet. :D
    Thanks for checking in Wanda!!...WE no longer have to Wanda where Wanda is.......and who knows , maybe the guy who does that great job on your car will be that right guy!!......take care.............bryan
    'Ya, Wanda, this could very well be " The guy "
    you know..!!! Just maybe.., :)

And, Oh by the way Bryan, playing on the Wanda thing...well, very Corny here on your part.. OOOps, sorry, Corny, no not you....I meant........

Ok , this is getting out of hand now....

Later..........
    Frank ;)
    Okay. I'm getting the idea that you guys think I need a man in my life. :surprise: Who knows, might happen yet. Then I could let him change the oil, filters and such and I could just sit back and watch. Now that sounds like a plan. :P
    You don"t change your own oil , do you Wanda?...no way..say it ain"t so... :cry:
    Don't be so sad. Haven't in this one yet ... my dealer offers free oil changes for life - that's free labor only. I have to pay a whole $7 for the oil, but it's cheaper than I can buy it. So I let them do it for now. . .

but, yes, in the past, I sure have (but I admit to wearing gloves so no oil under the fingernails. Changed an alternator or two and other simple stuff. Even changed my brakes back in earlier days, although I had a hard time bleeding them by myself. Took one to a station once and asked if they'd help bleed them. The mechanic asked who had done the brakes for me, and when I said I did it, he decided I had probably "torn up all kinds of things in there" and might need a complete redo. Needless to say I left and never went back. :shades:

You just never know what you can do when you're short on funds and help. ;)

Wanda
    Holy, Moly, here Wanda....Not just a pretty face ...!!

And, who said you had a " GIRLIE " car....!! !
    Wanda is going to make some lucky guy a very happy man someday...seriously, to talk car stuff with your wife and she'll know what your talking about!!!....AWESOME!!!
    And to think there are guys out there that actually appreciate that a woman knows just a little about cars. My ex was apparently intimidated by it. When we were dating it made him made when I would do something like that. Guess I challenged his manhood or something. I should have taken it as an omen. :sick: But make no mistake about it, I enjoy being a real girlie girl too. :blush:
    I'm sure you do, Wanda.... ;) (it is safe to wink, isn't it?)
    ;) Only if I can wink back. :)
    please do... :)
    OK, OK,.... are we finished NOW......!!!!!!
    ;) Ooooops...
    :blush: Sorry, Frank. I'm done. ;);)
    Sorry about not getting back to the board right away. I was out of town. Anyways, the car was manufactured in Canada on 12/05. I probably won't do anything about it at the dealers because I don't think repainting it is worth it at this point. Now, if the chipping problem gets worst, I may. My chips, though numerous, are small and sometimes not very noticeable. However, if it got repainted, I know it would be noticeable.

What about the touchup paint. Will that help much? Thanks.
    I'm not to keen on touch-up paint...but thats only my opinion...how big are the chips?...dime size?...pencil point size?
    My chips are small. Around the size of a pencil point. Some are a little bigger, maybe 2 times the size of a pencil point.

I was thinking of buying some touch-up paint at the dealer.
    It's been a long time, but the regional manager finally came to town. For those who were here then. . . He up front told me he was probably not going to make me happy. He first looked at the chips with the service mgr and made a decision. He got halfway through it and I told him I wanted to show him the other places. He totally discounted the weather stripping rubbing the paint off in the door wells and said that just happens. Never mind the grooves it created, or the fact that it would continue to do so. Was uninterested in the fact that the weather stripping was cracking.

Because of the rain today I had water spots so he said he couldn't tell what was spots and what was the paint bubble I showed him. He said the other was just stone chips, like Susan was told, and that was why they made touch up paint.

What he said they would do is keep it, give it a good cleaning and maybe wax and buffing, because some of the chips would disappear with buffing ...???? He said it probably wouldn't take care of the bubbling spot, but I had quite a bit of warranty left and if it continued I could bring it back again. He said when they get through this time, if I unsatisfied I could file a BBB complaint and get arbitration and they might end up buying it back. I think it was in retaliation for some comments I made to their 800 customer service guy along the same line.

They did give me a rental because he said with this and the other problems I had it would take them a couple of days to cover everything.