Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier Repairs

Comments

• richslumsrichslums Posts: 12
    I think everyone who has a rainier goes through this. My cd player was done. it got hot and would stop playing. in rainier no matter what radio you got in there it will mess up if you drive long distances frequently, by gettin the car hot or agressive driving, as far as all the gauges? i had to replace the whole thing. i removed the whole cluster and tried to repair it myself and succeded only to find out it was temporary. Electrical problems is number one with these rainiers, you just got cruise with them, lol driving this truck like a maniac ( like i did(do)) lol you will finish this truck fast!! atleast thats what my truck is telling me..
  • crlabcrlab Posts: 2
    Our 2005 Ranier has had problems with the oil and speedometer. My wife is now looking for a new car and refuses even considering GM. The service people charged us a lot of money, but there repairs were only temporary. This vehicle has a lot of inherent problems and the company was not willing to support their product.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,081
    Hello Criab,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have experiences concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your vehicles concerns, so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • mjacks77mjacks77 Posts: 1
    I cannot believe that there is no recall on the speedometers. I understand that they don't make them anymore, but the ratio of bad speedos to the number of Rainiers on the road has to be high. Mine started acting up a few months ago, but I attributed it to a bad speed sensor and was going to change a wheel bearing until I researched it tonight. I was looking up info on how to reset my computer because it seems that my AWD is engaged all the time and stumbled on this website. I also have a Buick Rendezvous that is my wife's car and the lease is up on it. I am upset to read all of this and to know that GM is not doing anything, and I am not going to buy another GM car. My father put 31 years in for GM just to have them mess with his insurance and pension, and now this! No way! They single-handedly destroyed Michigan and deserve to be put out of business for not taking care of their customers. This is definitely a manufacturers defect and they are holding the customers responsible for it. Unbelievable! :mad: We have a Chevy Malibu on hold at a dealer, but I think I'll cancel and we will buy that Nissan Altima that my wife is in love with. :(
  • loanladyloanlady Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I got my rainier from the dealer who sold me the warranty from different company and i dont know if my car is under warranty. i am having problems with fuel pump and sending unit, does any one know. I laso have problems with with my gage it shows fuel always at empty right after I just filled the tank. repair shop is asking about 1000-1200 for the repairs all I need to know what's the warranty on this car. in the beginning it was ok now a lot of problems with the car. I already spent over 1000 to fix the cylinder problems. is there a website which can show the warranty info for the car. I will not buy another GM again I have driven their oldmobile to chevy and this one just sucks.
    Hello Loanlady,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me so I can get more information from you to look into your situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • dmrjlrdmrjlr Posts: 3
    I too started having problems with first my Speedometer, then my oil gauge, next my Tach, then Engine temp, next gas gauge now my air shocks are lowering when the truck is at rest? Does anyone have any thoughts on the air shocks? I'm very up set at Buick for not returning my emails to help resolve some of these issues?
  • loanladyloanlady Posts: 2
    i had extended warranty and i took to the repair shop we take all our cars to.. Mechanic there had been working with GM cars for last 16 yrs and suggested to change the fuel pump and sending unit as well as spark plugs and control unit since ac was not working too. i recently had spark plugs replaced however they were burned, Brian said since sending unit was not pumping fuel spark plugs had to work extra and burned, warranty did not pay for the spark plug work which i am so upset since i never missed any regular maintenance, right now car is working fine. hope thats all i need. i ended up more then 800.00 in cost after the warranty paid. its unbelievable
  • tonyk1395tonyk1395 Posts: 3
    Hey dmrjlr: You are not alone here. This is one of the defects of this vehicle. The gauge control panel is defective and needs to be replaced. The "Air shock" noise you are hearing is not air shocks but your rear stabilizing system which is also defective. Have your tire pressure checked. That is one of the things that could correct that problem. There are issues with the AWD (all wheel drive) unit that causes you to get a jolt in the vehicle when you are sitting at a red light. Another defect. Buick dumped this vehicle a couple of years ago so don't expect them to help you any time soon. Sure they may recommend you "upgrade" to an Enclave but based on their lack of response, I would steer clear. It's no wonder why GM went bankrupt. Paying assembly line folks $70 an hour to produce this schlok can put anyone in the poor house.
    Hello Dmrjlr,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that no one has gotten back with you from Buick. Can you please email me with more information about your situation so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • icemaniceman Posts: 21
    I have a 2004 Buick Rainier CXL 4.2L inline 6cyc. 2 wd. I purchase my buick rainier about 2 years ago with about 37,000 miles on it and luckly I purchased the extended G.M.P.P. warrenty which was good for 30,000 miles. Since then I have had to have my air bag sensor on passenger side replaced which started the whole problem of it now sagging on the back passenger side., WHICH IT NEVER DID THAT UNTIL I HAD THE SENSOR REPLACED it had about 39,000 miles on it. Then I took my rainier in to have the front end aligned because I had to replace the two front tires and the service tech came back and told me that the front tie rods where messed up and needed to be replaced so I took it to the dealership and they agreed and they replaced it under warrenty and they said that was normal it only had 41,000. I then had to have my drive shift replaced at about 46,000 miles. And I have had to have my fuel filler neck replaced at about 46,000 miles also. I had to have my rack and pinion replaced at about 57,000 miles again the dealership said that was normal "I disagree". I now have about 68,000 miles on my rainier. Since about 39,000 miles I have had the problem with the whole rough idling and stalling out issue. At first the dealership said it was clogged fuel injectors so I paid out of my own pocket because it is not covered under warrenty the expense of having my injectors cleaned which did work for about 2 weeks. I took it back again and they ran test after test and said it was my fuel filter and again I paid for it out of my pocket because again it was not covered under warrenty. And again it lasted about 2 weeks and it started acting up. I had contacted Buick customer service with little to no help. Finally, it stalled out and tripped the check engine light, so I took it in to the dealership and they said the code it showed was a bad crankshaft sensor so they replaced it and it worked for about 2 weeks. Again I called Buick customer service and no help there. Each time it stalls out and dies it reads on the dash "LOW OIL PRESSURE." I can then put the rainier in park and restart the rainier just fine. When it start's the whole rough idling you can watch the rpm gauge jump from about 300 rpm's to 800 rpm's. I had my local service manager look at it and he seen the rpm gauge jump around and he said i quote "THAT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL BECAUSE IT IS UNDER STRESS." the rainier was just setting still in park. I have had the rainier completely die on me at red lights with out warning that has happened to me twice in the last 5 months. I have contacted the Buick customer service with no luck and/or no help. Now I'm out of my warrenty and hoping it doesn't happen to my again but I know it is a matter of time because it it still idling rough. So please help me. If you have any suggestion's or idea's, short of trading it off which I'm thiniking very seriously about doing for a none GM product maybe a Nissan or Ford. Because after this experience I can see why GM has the reputation it has about poor quailty and even worse service departments. I will not own another GM product and the sad thing is I worked for GM and I believed in the whole brand loyalty but not anymore..... :( :confuse: :lemon:
    Hello Iceman,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have been experiencing an issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • dmrjlrdmrjlr Posts: 3
    Has anyone had the same problem? Any suggestions? Please advise. When I shut the truck off for more than 2 hrs the trucks rear end lowers? When I start it up the truck the compressor raises the rear end. Are there sensors in the rear? Thank you for ant thoughts or recommendations.
    Dave
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    Guys (and gals). I had an '88 Regal that the odometer went whacky on me. When I pulled the dash apart, there was a sticker on it for United Electronics in Syracuse Ny. I called, and the Tech quoted me $150 to R&R it. I shipped it out, in a couple weeks they shipped it back and worked fine. Now, this was in 1995, so I don't know what the charges would be. Here is their info:

Automotive Electronics
    Nationwide
    5705 Enterprise Parkway
    East Syracuse, NY 13057
    Toll-free: 800-448-0944
    Phone: 315-446-5570
    Toll-free Fax: 800-701-3874
    Fax: 315-446-2434
    Keith Martin, General Manager
    Dale Frier, Operations/Logistics Manager
    Automotive Parts
  • tcharles28tcharles28 Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2004 buick rainier at approximately 88,000 miles.. I took it to the dealer and they said the switch to unlock the vents is located under the steering wheel.

They quoted me a price over $3000 to fix it. I opted out of the fix last year and this year I heard a very strange noise coming out of the right side floor area of my car while driving it.

Strange I am getting some air (not like i did when I first purchased it) out of the fronts vents. I guess I'm hoping it will reset itself.
  • mom0423mom0423 Posts: 14
    I am the sole owner of this Rainier, which was suggested to me by my brother who was a GM dealer technician for a number of years. Overall, I have not had major problems with it. I took it in a number of times for the rear "kick" by the GM dealership admitted there wasn't a resolution to the issue yet. I recently had major work done to the front end, but that's another issue for another time. Now, however, I'm having a problem with part of the dashboard cluster. Speedometer and tachometer work fine, the rest - including the driver recognition and gear acknowledgement, are not working. I took it to an Auto Zone to have them use a diagnostic guage, but instead the guy replaced the fuse to the panel and everything worked fine. Next day I start the car and it fails again. What is blowing the fuse??? Due to the GM failure, I have no decent dealership anywhere nearby to take the vehicle to. Seriously. I need some answers and GM isn't responding. Any ideas???
    Hello Mom0423,
    Did you ever take the vehicle back to AutoZone and tell them about the fuse they put in? Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • lisa1012lisa1012 Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Buick Rainier that has numerous problems. I have read lots of posts about the electrical problems with speed odometer, mine is not working at all!! With all the problems, I can't understand why Buick does not have a recall in regards to this issue. In regards to the A/C unit, my front vents do not blow any air. It will only flow from the vents at my feet. Does anyone else have this problem, and what were the repair costs? Another ongoing problem is hesitation on acceleration. This has been going on for months. I have taken it to several auto repair places, one said to replace the fuel filter, I did, problem not solved. Another repair place suggested that I flush the transmission and get a tune up, no luck there either. I have had numerous problems with this car and have spent several thousand dollars on repairs. This is the worse car I have ever owned!!!! Any one else with similar problems, especially with the hesitation on acceleration, please let me know. I need suggestions!!! Thanks
  • lisa1012,
    I have a 2004 Rainer with about 70,000 miles.
    I have a very similar problem with the AC. It will not blow out of the chest level vents but will blow out of the floor and defrost vents. It also causes the engine RPM's to drop and nearly die when idling at a standstill.

Any idea what the problem is? I'd like to know if it is a simple fix.

Thanks!
  • lisa1012lisa1012 Posts: 2
    I had one person look at it and told me I needed an actuator, apparently there are 4 on the car. I had a tune up done and after it was done the air was not blowing out of the front vents. They agreed to repair my car for free, because I feel they did something to the air, it was working fine when I took the car in. They replaced one actuator and told me it blew the other one out when they put the one in. So, they would not repair my car. I have no idea what it will cost to repair it.. I have noticed that the car idles, and it actually cut off on me one day when I had the air on and was sitting still.. So now I mostly ride around without the air on and its nearly 100 here in Columbia, SC. Yesterday my rear view mirror came loose and had to repair it myself. This car has been a constant problem over the last year and I wonder what will happen next. My neighbor has the same vehicle and her speedodometer does not work either..
    Lisa
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    ".....I have noticed that the car idles, and it actually cut off on me one day when I had the air on and was sitting still.. "

While no expert, I would have the actuator replaced. If it is blown, it may be causing a vaccuum leak which will cause the engine to run a little rough, and can cause it to stall.

As for the speedo, the entire instrument cluster is one unit. Check electronic shops in your area to see if the can repair them. I had this happen to a 1988 Regal. The dealer wanted $350 for a remanufactured unit, local boneyards wanted $250 for a used one w/ no guarantee. When I pulled the unit out myself (I was going to have a friend look at it) there was a sticker on it for a electronic company. I called them, they told me $149 to refurbish it. Another $20 to ship it to them, and problem solved. I posted the name on another post here for the Rainier, but not sure if it got removed as SPAM.
  • It's about 100 degrees here and getting into my 2005 Buick Rainier is not a pleasant experience. We turn the A/C on and it blows hot air. It has to run for quite a while to get it to cool, but once it does decide to cool, it's cold. I read in another post the following..." If it sits for less than 4 hours and the temperature increases by less than 20 degrees you have to run it at a steady speed for a few miles/minutes for it to recognize that the increase in temperature at the sensor is real and not caused by the sun shining on the vehicle." Sometimes this is over 5 minutes. So if my A/C temp wasn't managed by a computer, I would be cool. How do I override this?
  • mbowlesmbowles Posts: 2
    My 2004 Buick Rainier has rough idle sometimes.and cuts off at red lights.Any help with this problem..Thanks anybody.
  • mbowlesmbowles Posts: 2
    My 2004 Buick Rainier has rough idle and also cuts off at times.Any answers.Please help.
  • Hey Iceman, My Buick Rainier did the same thing I changed the cam sensor and crank senor and it still idled rough and would stall. So for giggles I changed the fuel filter and what would you know it runs normal again. You will need to have the check engine light reset though other wise it will still say bad cam and crank sensor. I hope this fixes your problem as well. good luck.

Russbret from Vermont State :)
  • I was told by a mechanic to watch the fuel filter, to change it every 4 oil changes the whole fuel system is very touchy and will cause the engine light to come on and say you may have a faulty sensor which in some cases you may but start with fuel filter first its only $16.00, also when doing routine maintenance its always good to inspect the brake pads and rotors, also he told me that the Rainier is known for going threw front wheel bearings ,I have just replaced my rotors and bearings and I have had my Rainier for 1 yr. But it also has 96000 miles on it. I am not sure how many times the first owner changed it.
  • My '05 Rainier just started having strange and disturbing problems within the past month. The fuel gauge registers E when it shouldn't, and always after I've just filled up. Warning light comes on along with the DIC low fuel msg. At other times, the gauge just bounces around. Thank God I haven't been stranded yet because I avoid driving whenever possible and don't let the tank get low. In searching for info, I've discovered this is a common problem with all the sister SUV's (Envoy, Trailblazer, etc.) of this age. Although out of warranty, it only has 47,000 miles. There are thousands of complaints about this identical problem. Seems the fuel level sensor is the culprit (along with instrument panel problems) and that the Trailblazer owners have been quite vocal about it for years. Probably because there are (or were) so many more of them. Sometimes the check engine light comes on too and on rare occasions, the DIC completely blacks out. Seems that there has been no recall and many owners have had to shell out a lot of money to fix what appears to be a case of faulty parts. I don't think I should have to pay for this repair.

I'd like to add that I'm a middle aged woman who for the 1st time ever, intentionally sought a GM product to maybe help save jobs there. Buick seemed to have the best reputation I could afford at GM. I need reliable transportation and thought that coughing up the extra money for this vehicle would buy me that. I plan to push this issue for some resolution. It is implausible that the service dept. at the largest GM dealership in Hickory, NC didn't acknowledge this common problem when I called them today, but seems that NHTSA has received lots of complaints. Since Mariah from GM customer service regularly monitors this site, my vin# is 5GADT13S352177361 and I shouldn't have to pay to diagnose what you already know, the fuel level sensor is bad...and the instrument cluster is going soon!
  • Dear wake1up, it sounds like the beginning of the wire assembly unit challenges?
    I have a 2004 and I have no use from the Battery, Hot Engine, Fuel, etc. The Rainier is a great vehicle with about 5-7 flaws. If you have the extended warranty then any dealer will help to eat the costs. The people from GM monitor and get involved to help pacify or assist vehicle owner to get into touch with a dealer. If you have good relations with a dealer you are 20% the way. Be ready for a long journey I wish you the best.
    Hello Wake1up,
    I did check your VIN that you provided and it didn't show any recalls currently at this time. I can have an agent look at your situation further for you. I will need you to email me your contact information, current mileage, dealership and best time to contact you. The agent is going to require that you get the vehicle diagnosed. That is something I cannot waive, but you can talk to the agent about it. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • I also have this same fuel gauge frustration in my 2005 low mileage Ranier. We spend the extra money thinking will will have Lexus comparable reliability. The vehicle drives nicely but I have learned and should have known this truck is full of their economy line parts. I am very disappointed that a fuel gauge of all things is a wasted effort of quality Engineering and design. I believe they know about this but will never admit to it because people like you and I will shop with a North American bias and will not make good on their known blunders. We are presently in the market to replace the Ranier and the Enclave has made our short list. Now I will do my research intentionally trying to find the best vehicle as opposed to being loyal. When I know I have done something wrong in my business I will hopefully get to my customer before he discovers it. Amazing...... what the results are with this type of Customer Service. This is not just a fuel gauge issue I have had to replace sensors, door latch, tie rod ends etc. I almost believe each and every part is a profit center competing against each other. Good Luck and I look forward to reading the GM comments.