Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier Repairs

Comments

• Hi a_mac,
    I own a 2004 Rainier myself and live in Michigan as well!! Worst place to not have your AWD.
    You'll know when your AWD is responding because your steering will feel "tighter", and the Rainier feels likes it's "stiff". I just got mine back from the shop b/c it needed the TCCM replaced (440.00 repair) Mine wasn't reading correctly so there for it was stuck in AWD. If I were you I'd take it in and have it looked at. Generaly you know when it's in AWD and if it does do it there could be lots of problems. Supposedly they have issues with the DIFFS leaking and ultimately burning it up...................Good Luck
    Beth
  • bethsrainierbethsrainier Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    I don't know about the speed indicator but the fuel gage being gone usually means your fuel pump is getting ready to dump on you!!! This will leave you stranded when ever it finally finishes.
    Happens to moct GM pumps
  • My 2005 Buick Rainier V6 has a check engine light SU176 Secondary Air Injection Solenoid engine sensor error. I was told the solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced. Do I need to have this replaced? Is this going to affect my vehicle's performance? Will I be able to drive the car? Does this only impact emissions? Is this a necessary element of the engine?

Additionally, I had the panel gauge issues as mentioned and had to have my speed odom panel replaced. So yes, this is a Buick defect that should be a recall.

I also have the thumping feeling when I am at a stop light. Like someone tapped my bumper from behind. I guess that is another Buick defect that should be recalled. Wow, wish I would have known these things before deciding to by it. :lemon:
  • How did your Rainier act when it was locked in four wheel drive. I was told mine is locked in and it shudders and shakes when I turn slow left and right turns. Engine runs rough too. It goes fine straight down the road.
  • I didn't have an issue with it being locked in four wheel drive. My issue is when I am at a stop light, I get a "bang" action that feels like someone tapped into my bumper even though nobody did. It is a quick jerking action. No engine issues or loss of power.
  • toastsdtoastsd Posts: 1
    My 2004 Rainier has 55k and has been a good vehicle. The problem is a grinding/clunking noise from the front end and vibration in the steering wheel when turning left. It does not make the noise until the vehicle has been driven for about 5 minutes. It has been doing this for the last year and nobody has been able to fix it. Since my extended warranty ends soon, I brought it to my local Buick dealer. They proceeded to replace the front differential with a used unit, but it did not fix the problem. If anything, it is moderately worse.

Now the dealer says the issue is inherent to the all wheel drive system and is not uncommon. Has anyone experienced this issue? They are saying the system is performing as it should. It did not make the noise for the first 50k miles, so I am still concerned.

Any suggestions?
  • tm2408tm2408 Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem but the clunk vibration was eventually occured both when tturning sharp left or right. It felt like it was binding up. I finally took it in and it was the transfer case, middle box, that went bad. It locks into four wheel drive all tme. You only notice it when turning. Cost was 2300.00. It definetly solved the problem.
  • richslumsrichslums Posts: 12
    Im having the same issue. Its a thump sound on my right passenger floor it seems like. It happens every 10 to 15 seconds or so. Its louder when i turn on the car for the first time in the day, during the day it get lower but still noticeable. I think it could be a rat or something up there lol jk i dont know much about cars, but i do know i need new tie rods and something for my axel which makes noise in the back, maybe these could be the problem?? i have a buick rainier 2004 70,000 awd v8 5.3 L...about the 4x4 or awd going into gear, i live in the city where theres a bunch of pot holes, i was told my truck would switch to awd due to the many bumpy roads, could be the problem for the thump or any other tugs or sounds,.
    I just hope i dont have to get a new transfer case like the post many before me he paid 2,300 for it, oh hellz no lol
    Also for those that had problems turning etc and hearing noise i had the same problem, i went for an oil change and they changed my power steering , put some kind of kit, changed or added some fluid to my transmission oil, and now i dont have turning noises, might be able to fix some of your guys problems i have read above...
    hey how do you change the o2 sensor? where is it located?
    I think everyone who has a rainier goes through this. My cd player was done. it got hot and would stop playing. in rainier no matter what radio you got in there it will mess up if you drive long distances frequently, by gettin the car hot or agressive driving, as far as all the gauges? i had to replace the whole thing. i removed the whole cluster and tried to repair it myself and succeded only to find out it was temporary. Electrical problems is number one with these rainiers, you just got cruise with them, lol driving this truck like a maniac ( like i did(do)) lol you will finish this truck fast!! atleast thats what my truck is telling me..
  • crlabcrlab Posts: 2
    Our 2005 Ranier has had problems with the oil and speedometer. My wife is now looking for a new car and refuses even considering GM. The service people charged us a lot of money, but there repairs were only temporary. This vehicle has a lot of inherent problems and the company was not willing to support their product.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    Hello Criab,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have experiences concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your vehicles concerns, so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • mjacks77mjacks77 Posts: 1
    I cannot believe that there is no recall on the speedometers. I understand that they don't make them anymore, but the ratio of bad speedos to the number of Rainiers on the road has to be high. Mine started acting up a few months ago, but I attributed it to a bad speed sensor and was going to change a wheel bearing until I researched it tonight. I was looking up info on how to reset my computer because it seems that my AWD is engaged all the time and stumbled on this website. I also have a Buick Rendezvous that is my wife's car and the lease is up on it. I am upset to read all of this and to know that GM is not doing anything, and I am not going to buy another GM car. My father put 31 years in for GM just to have them mess with his insurance and pension, and now this! No way! They single-handedly destroyed Michigan and deserve to be put out of business for not taking care of their customers. This is definitely a manufacturers defect and they are holding the customers responsible for it. Unbelievable! :mad: We have a Chevy Malibu on hold at a dealer, but I think I'll cancel and we will buy that Nissan Altima that my wife is in love with. :(
  • loanladyloanlady Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I got my rainier from the dealer who sold me the warranty from different company and i dont know if my car is under warranty. i am having problems with fuel pump and sending unit, does any one know. I laso have problems with with my gage it shows fuel always at empty right after I just filled the tank. repair shop is asking about 1000-1200 for the repairs all I need to know what's the warranty on this car. in the beginning it was ok now a lot of problems with the car. I already spent over 1000 to fix the cylinder problems. is there a website which can show the warranty info for the car. I will not buy another GM again I have driven their oldmobile to chevy and this one just sucks.
    Hello Loanlady,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me so I can get more information from you to look into your situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • dmrjlrdmrjlr Posts: 3
    I too started having problems with first my Speedometer, then my oil gauge, next my Tach, then Engine temp, next gas gauge now my air shocks are lowering when the truck is at rest? Does anyone have any thoughts on the air shocks? I'm very up set at Buick for not returning my emails to help resolve some of these issues?
  • loanladyloanlady Posts: 2
    i had extended warranty and i took to the repair shop we take all our cars to.. Mechanic there had been working with GM cars for last 16 yrs and suggested to change the fuel pump and sending unit as well as spark plugs and control unit since ac was not working too. i recently had spark plugs replaced however they were burned, Brian said since sending unit was not pumping fuel spark plugs had to work extra and burned, warranty did not pay for the spark plug work which i am so upset since i never missed any regular maintenance, right now car is working fine. hope thats all i need. i ended up more then 800.00 in cost after the warranty paid. its unbelievable
  • tonyk1395tonyk1395 Posts: 3
    Hey dmrjlr: You are not alone here. This is one of the defects of this vehicle. The gauge control panel is defective and needs to be replaced. The "Air shock" noise you are hearing is not air shocks but your rear stabilizing system which is also defective. Have your tire pressure checked. That is one of the things that could correct that problem. There are issues with the AWD (all wheel drive) unit that causes you to get a jolt in the vehicle when you are sitting at a red light. Another defect. Buick dumped this vehicle a couple of years ago so don't expect them to help you any time soon. Sure they may recommend you "upgrade" to an Enclave but based on their lack of response, I would steer clear. It's no wonder why GM went bankrupt. Paying assembly line folks $70 an hour to produce this schlok can put anyone in the poor house.
    Hello Dmrjlr,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that no one has gotten back with you from Buick. Can you please email me with more information about your situation so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,