Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier Repairs

Comments

• I have a 2006 Rainier. Tried to back out of my driveway and the car would not let me turn (stopped completely). Same thing happened while trying to park (forward) into a parking space. It has been at my mechanic for 4 days. They have changed the differential fluid and had someone look at the transfer case(?). They are basically at a loss as to what the problem is. Anyone have any idea?
    Thank you!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,168
    marcia1212,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Are you working with a GM dealership or an independent mechanic?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Hi Caron, It is going to Star Buick in Leesburg, VA today. Is this a common problem with this car?
    marcia1212,

Thank you for the update! Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Actually I decided to try another dealership and was told a different problem. The transfer case actuator was bad. fixed now
    johnhatebuick,
    Did you try speaking with a different dealer? You could ask they speak with Customer Assistance. Please feel free to email me with your information.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2004 rear wheel drive Ranier. All in all it has been an excellent motor vehicle with very few problems. One problem, however, is the passenger sear lumbar control. When the button to activate is pushed there is just a clicking noise. When I took to the dealer, they said that the motor needed to be replaced at over $500. Is there any research on this problem?
  • jaye37jaye37 Posts: 2
    My 2006 Rainier suddenly stopped making sharp turns this weekend. I can't pull into parking spaces left or right. The steering is fine but it feels like the truck as a whole won't move. I can hear the wheels skidding when I turn sometimes. Is this the same as the other problem listed regarding the transfer case?
  • jaye37jaye37 Posts: 2
    I just posted that I'm having the same problem with my 2006 Rainier. I'm not able to turn going forwards or backwards
  • adf2adf2 Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 Rainier and it occasionally shudders quite badly when turning sharply. I have no idea what causes it, but I have heard it can be related to incorrect tire pressures.

Mine seems to happen at low speeds, but maybe that's because no-one makes really sharp turns at higher speeds.

Andy
  • Have them check the encoder motor. It is what controls the awd system. I was having the same problem (binding or crow hopping) on sharp slow speed turns. I had to do the research and found the GM service bulletin #3928 describing the problem and then had to tell my dealership. Nice huh? They wanted to rebuild my rear differential as the solution! Have them test the encoder motor separately, it will not show up on the main system computer check. It cost me a little over $500 for the repair and things are back to normal now.
    I have a 2004 Rainier AWD I6 which has developed a 'bucking' behaviour when turning corners. When travelling in a straight line I have no problems, although when I decelerate, a slight whining can be heard until I come to a stop. Just before I stop there's a mild clunk.

I've read it could be an encoder motor, but I have no idea where that is, and if it's repairable by a non-professional. Anyone got any ideas?

Andy
  • I have a 2005 Ranier and it's doing the same thing as yours was. I've taken it to several service center and they either didn't know what was wrong or...told me that's normal and nothing to worry about. Just all the wheels aren't turning at the same time and for me not to worry. Well, Im not stupid and knew it wasn't ok. That's why I kept taking it to be checked out. Anyway, thank you so much for your posting. I'm sure that's the problem. Just wish with all of us having the same problem. They're would have been a recall. $500 is alot of money now days! Thanks again. I'm sure you helped lots of us Ranier owners : )
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    I will say, make sure the tire pressure is up!!! My wife had been complaining of the same thing. I was able to replicate the problem. The front tires looked low and I added air. (there was only 15 psi in the front tires. Rears were fine). No problems since!!!
  • Yeah, my husband thought it may be the tires too but unfortunately,he checked them and it's not : ( Thanks for the advice thou. Would have saved us alot of money.
  • I have owned a 2005 Buick Rainier for almost two years. I loved my SUV until a few months ago. In October I had to have the secondary air injection pump and valve replaced at a price of $732.99. I understand cars need to have things fixed so I was ok with that. This month the truck seems to not have as much power. It has a strong gas smell when I start it. Now the fuel sensor is off telling me I am empty after I have just filled up. I am being told I do not qualify for even 50% of the cost to be covered by GM because the mileage is just over 120k. What kind of recall only pays 50% to start with?

I was hoping to keep this truck for many years, or trade it in for an Enclave. I was very happy with the Rainier until I read all the posts in this forum and see the generic responses from the Buick rep apologizing and asking for the VIN number. Has anyone had a good experience with Buick after giving the rep your information?
  • Sorry to hear your having problems with your Rainier too. Like you. I loved my Rainier until all the problems started! I as well had problems with my fuel sensor which, made me run out of gas and then I coudn't get it to start back up. Unfortunately to replace the sensor. You will need a whole new fuel system. It cost me about $400 and that wasn't thru a GM dealership. They're cost was alot more. My Rainier only had alittle over 60K and GM did say they would pay 50%, but only by a GM dealership and I already had it towed to my local mechanic and replaced by the time they contacted me back. Sorry to say, but be prepared for your mileage gauge to stop working too. Mine only works sometimes now. It just started that a couple of weeks ago. I'm also having problems with my AWD and my anti lock break light just came on : ( We've always bought GM products but...I'm not sure that's ever going to happen again? Oh and GM did keep in contact with me eventurally but...they we're no help finanically. Good luck!
  • Good afternoon, mrsmac116,

Have you been working with Customer Assistance on the fuel pump issue you've described? If so, what is your Service Request number?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I had the same problem (it finally stopped and CEL came on). It's likely the air injection pump like mine. I just haven't taken the time to replace it but the noise is gone now that it finally crapped out entirely. I just have to find out where the darn thing is located under the hood........can't see it initially. :confuse:
  • Sarah,

I always see you and the other GM Customer Service reps posting the same thing. The funny thing is, neither you nor anyone at the GM dealerships ever really pony up when it is time to fix a problem that is due to poor quality. Why don't you save everyone the trouble and stop posting this stuff like you care. I don't know about anyone else, but GM pretending to care pisses me off even more.

Dustin
    Buick Rainier
    list of repairs:
    -Rear differential
    -windshield wiper motor
    -fuel sensor
    -speedometer does not work
    -actuator went bad causing timing to be off
    -engine coolant sensor went bad
    -check engine light will not shut off

Never buy a GMC.
  • Good morning Dustin,

I am sorry if we've further upset you by our presence on Edmunds. Looking at the list of repairs you've put up, I understand that you're frustrated. Have all of these repairs been done at a dealership at your cost, and do you have a current concern with your vehicle? We can build up an assistance case if you were to email us more information about your situation.

Happy Holidays,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Dustin, have you called the 800 # for Buick Cust Svc to complain??? I did it with my Rainier, and I did get results.
  • I have a '04 Ranier that is also having issues with speedo. I was told you could reset it with the key. That didn't work. I wasa told the same thing that I needed the whole cluster replaced. I told them only the speedo was nor working. But they said it all had to be replaced. This is the same company(gm) that said it would cost $45 to re-program my keyfob. I did it myself in 2 minutes.
    Any help at all on the speedo issue. Maybe a silent recall. hhhmmmm
    I know when I had my speedo go whacky, the fix was to replace the stepper motor, which was done by a garage. It's been fine ever since (4 years).
  • bob192bob192 Posts: 19
    I had mine replaced a couple years ago under an aftermarket warranty. It cost me the 100$ deductible. The repair center told me they had to make a 900$ deposit to have the replacement cluster sent to them. They had the car for 4 or 5 days. Only the speedo was bad, but the whole cluster is how they sell it. The speedo is a very complicated hi tech expensive replacement for something that has been around for decades. bad design and even worse customer relations. I will never buy a GM again. They've had thousands of these fail on cars just out of warranty and if its a Ranier you're on your own. If you have a GPS hooked up you could get your speed from it. I dont know if you could get by inspection without a speedo though.
  • I am sorry that you have not had a satisfactory experience with us. Since the replacement, how has your vehicle been? Do you have any current concerns?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bob192bob192 Posts: 19
    about a year ago, my Rainier was hit while parked and subsequently totaled by my insurance company. I also had the transfer case actuator fail. Another 500 repair, just out of warranty. I certainly wouldn't buy a GM without a better warranty. 3 years or 36 is not very good in today's market, particularly with their reputation for failures.
    It's now 4/50 bumper to bumper, with 5/100 on the powertrain.
  • Likewise my '04 Rainier had all the symptoms described in this thread from the slight bump when stopped to the stuttering/inability to turn sharply at low speed with whine while decelerating. One dealer says the transfer case needs replaced and another wants to replace the actuator. The motor is available on ebay motors for less than $175 shipped. I don't know what the installation charge will be but I ordered the part. If that works, great; if not I'll go for the transfer case. At many suggestions here, I double checked the tire air pressure but that was within a few pounds of one another and when evened did nothing to stop the issues. The vehicle had less than 35K miles when I purchased it in Jan '08 and has less than 70K 4 years later. I recently saw a thread with a GM service bulletin number that I will send to the local dealer as well.
    Again like many here, I had the stepper motor issue in the speedometer and had to pay for the repair out of pocket.
    I also have a intermittant problem with the NAV/Bose unit making such an horrific noise the radio is un-listenable. A sharp slap on top of the dash ususally cures this but no one acknowledges this as an issue at any dealer or GM Customer Service but EVERY aftermarket electronics dealer laughs when I tell this story.
    I also have possibly reversed polarity on the seat as it slams me under the steering wheel when I exit instead of sliding all the way back to facilitate exit.
    I apologize for hijacking/rambling but I am really frustrated. I have owned Buicks all my life from my first car in '72 until today.
  • lb267lb267 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Buick Rainier with 56500 on the dash, I bought it 6 months ago with 50000. I have the SAME issue as pretty much everyone else on here, I took it to the dealership where I got it from and Turns out, the Transfer case was binding, fortunately I bought a warranty with it, So all i had to pay was my 100$ deductible. They said that they had to replace the Shifter fork, and the actuator clutch...