Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier Repairs

Comments

• In my case the right rear air bag had dry rotted and intermittently would sag. SOMETIMES till I heard a thump where it had bottomed out. Destroyed the rear shocks and replaced only one, after changing out the right rear airbag sensor height adjuster. Big mistake. First replace airbags in pairs.

Yes you change out the airbag suspension. There is a company that sells aftermarket changeover kits. But they are also testing a new airbag. Not sure if it is available yet.
  • Replace BOTH rear air bags or change over to springs. YOU GOT GOOD AGE OUT OF THEM!
  • bobvillarainybobvillarainy Posts: 7
    edited August 2011
    Hey, for my two cents worth, I have started having an issue with my 2004 Rainier, 65,000 miles, in refernece to fuel gauge. Interestingly I had a Ford Explorer before the Rainy and through expensive unnecessary parts replacement for a similar issue I presume for myself, and possibly several others of you may find you have a bad slosh module. In my case it no longer fools the gauge in driving gas moving aroud the tank and now it tells me I am on empty when I am not. It would be cheaper to go to the mechanic and say "hey for **** and giggles, would you change my slosh module. It isn't that expensive of a part, if I recall.
  • In reference to Differential "Thumping": I have to note that the 4x4 differential fluid is noted to be replaced in the unit for "NORMAL" driving EVERY 50,000 miles. For Hilly, excessive 4X4 use, and IN TOWN driving this should be done more often. When the problem occurs, and it is NOT THE TIRE pressure or the Actuator Motor, then you need to change the differential fluid with GM (ONLY) Blue differential fluid drive it for about 100 mile drain it and refill. ALSO I was advised during this 100 mile flush to run the vehicle in reverse driving a figure 8 several times during this period. All I know is I did this and then replaced the acutuator motor and everything has been fine with the 4x4 since.

In reference to the tranny, I would also recommend increasing the maintenance schedule in hilly and city driving conditions to no more then 36k miles. I do all drive train fluids at this frequency, now that I didn't listen to my Tranny man and found out the hard way. He charges me $75 for a trany svc, including filter and Syn Fluids, and smiles when I admit he was right. All DT fluids and all he charges me $135.
  • Oh I forgot to mention that I waited too long to change mine and had to replace the rear shocks as they couldn't take the abuse of no rear suspension. But on the good note, I talked with KYB directly and they said I could upgrade to their Gas-Adjust Shocks with no problems. Hold the road better, but a little bumpy at times and feel I need to bite the bullet and replace the front struts.
  • Hey,

My parents, getting older and dimensia disability of one of them, I took my car to my dealer for a scheduled repair. On my list was upgrade the onstar since our vehicle was listed as being upgradable. I just didn't get around to getting it done when I received the letter in the mail. Since my car had a more expensive repairs, when I picked it up I wasn't even thinking about the Onstar digital phone upgrade. About 6 to 8 months later I took the car back to the dealer and mentioned we had missed doing the upgrade when we had a high dollar bill the previous time. Service writter told me he would get back to me on it. While he was working on it I called back and asked about the upgraded digital phone for the Onstar and he came back to tell me that they were inclined to do the upgrade. Finally he told me that "If I was willing to pay for it they could do it."

I contacted Onstar and was told to go to another dealer. Went to another dealer and after they pulled the Vin the Svc Mgr told me NO. I called GM this time and they told me that my car was definately upgradable and maybe I should check another dealer. I had an appointment with another dealer further away, but due to inclement weather I had to cancel. This dealer told me they knew for a fact my car was upgradable for digital phone module, that they just did another 2004. But I can't get them to call me back to make an appointment. I even called and was bumped to a voice mail box and asked if I could have an oil change while they pulled the code's from the existing system to tell the GM rep' so they could get the right upgrade parts in for the install.

It bugs me that I quit getting phone calls from GM on this issue, and I was reminded of the phone calls after my father got a "Disabilities Catalogue" from GM, which I felt must have been sent due to my mentioning persons with disabilities to the GM rep.
  • Seriously I used to love my rainer,, not so much lately, I have a constant thumping sounds like im running over frost heaves steadly, used to be only when i stopped and the buick was still cold. my instrument cluster is wacked why hasent this been recalled ???? i went to a vehical boneyard and the guy said i could buy one of the 2 he had i had 250000 km the other had 195000km cant do that my vehical only has 93000 km's i would seriously be deprieciating my car, I also have the constant air filling in the back i just thought that was normal till I found this site, and have seen there is someone from buick on here steady why isnt she going to bat for the loyal customers. i'm now in the market for a new vehical and cant say that i would even look at the buick enclave, and not only that but in my search for a new vehical my son has asked if he could buy this buick off me, i not sure i can in good conscience do that, i feel at that piont i would be putting his life in danger (with the speedo the way it is) and giving him a lemon
  • worxriteworxrite Posts: 5
    Hello,

I have a 2004 Buick Rainier CXL

Sometimes when I turn my key to start my car it gives a little clicking noise and won't turn over. Sometimes it will start on the 2nd time I turn my key and then other times it may take 10 times before it will start. The battery is new; I'm not sure if there's a loose connection somewhere, if it's the ignition or what it is. Has anyone had this situation before, if so, please help me know what I should do?

Thanks,
    R. Corbett
  • doell1982doell1982 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 awd buick rainer that was jerking at 40 to 45 mph. The car is now jerking at 20 to 30. This leads me to beleave that it might not be the transmission. Could it be a sensor or actuator mortor? Has anyone had this problem? please help i dont have the money for a transmission.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    doell1982,

Have you had the chance to take your vehicle in to be diagnosed? Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Learned from a former GM Garage that the "high end" GM SUV's may have two spacer washers on the battery cables. Remove battery cable, remove bolts from cable and take the two washers out and soak in coke. Brush with toothbrush under cold water and rinse.Reassemble.
  • _jasoon_jasoon Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I Bought my Rainier from Joseph Pontiac before they moved there last location from MI. Know if i have any problems i have to go all the way to OH for them to do anything, considering im still paying on it.. Well just this past Febuary i hit some slush on the high way and it sent me all the way the ditch. I had snow all the way up to my door and so much damage i paid my deductiblefor full coverage and the dealership i called Suski Chevrolet fixed everything but the one thing i told him about, it feels like if i pull into a tight parking spot the back tires are like grabbing on to the pavement like no other. Well my cousin looking at it and drove it around the corner and said its stuck in 4Wheel Drive. So i called to tell them that, they want 150$ to look at it and to determine whether it was from the accident or not!
    Can someone tell me what is going on before i ruin my car Completely?
    Please, and Thanks, (:

(PS: Mind you i pay a 400.00 car payment a month for this thing, i can barely keep my head above water as it is!)
  • jackiepowjackiepow Posts: 1
    We own a '06 rainier, for the past yr. the gas gauge tells us we are empty even after filling it up! It has run out of gas 3 or 4 times and we are more than sick of it! Along with that the front door handles are broken and won't open from outside. Now the right rear passenger door won't open from the inside! Pretty soon we will have to climb in through the hatch.
    Come on GM why don't you use quality parts in your products and take more pride in them?!
    Our rainier is also eating oil like crazy. Yes, we look under it and no there are no leaks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    _jasoon,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I have a '04 buick rainier....I had my front brakes changed and a friend did it for me. My rotars were worn a little so i had them smoothed down. Now my truck is jerking really bad when I turn. I'm not sure if this is due to a sensor or what it could be, but i"m sure it has something to do with the suspension or something.....any ideas?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,003
    Not me - any owners with suggestions?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• The only other time it did this is when my tire blew out and I had my spare put on and it wasn't the same size as the others and i did not know it....I had to get all the same size put on and it didn't do it anymore. This is why I think its got something to do with the balance or a sensor or something.....
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,003
    You can try Edmunds Answers while waiting for owners in here. Different group of folks tend to hang out over there.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mom0423mom0423 Posts: 14
    I have heard of this happening. My advice would be to take it to a dealer to have it repaired. I have a terrible time with this in my area due to the closure of so many dealerships. But if you don't and it is an issue that is recalled, then they will NOT honor the recall. I think this is TERRIBLE because there are many quality credentialed shops around but it doesn't matter. So take my word for it. At least have it evaluated and get a price. Because these vehicles are going to have some recalls further down the line if they already haven't. I love mine, but it has definitely had some issues. Costly ones at that.
  • I am having the same issues..
    My 05 CXL revs up to 3500 rpms before it shifts to 2nd. and when it shifts, it is a hard shift and will only do it if you take your foot off the gas like a manual trans.
    It will then shift into 3rd, but that is as high as it will go... It will not shift into OD.

I dropped the transmission pan, replaced the 1-2 & 3-4 shift solenoids and the 3-2 shift solenoid.
    This did not help..

I then took it to a mechanic and they ran some tests.. They stated that they found that the oil temp is reading -40 degrees- IT IS 87 degrees outside right now!!!

Any help??? Anyone???

I am dying without my car...

PLEASE HELP!!!!!