Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XK Series Overall Ownership Experience

What has it been like for you to own an XK-Series car?

Comments

• I notice that used XKs are now well under 20K for a late '90s model. What do you think? Is buying one going to be a fiscal disaster? Maybe the answer lies is in how electronic it is?
  • donbldonbl Posts: 42
    I bought the car new six years ago and it has been good except for throttle body replacements which were due to a technician reversing two wires.

Other than that, few window switches and odds and ends that do not seem out of control...... 'course, fixing anything is expensive. Nearing end of life on fourth set of tires.

Now has 71K miles and has an extended warranty through 86K miles. Looks great and still runs good.

Do not like the new XK. Not sure what I will buy next. Maybe, trade up to an RV.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,273
    My wife and I have owned a 1999 and now own a 2001, both convertibles. My overall assessment is that there are small annoyances with these cars (memory seats lose their mind, warning lights sometimes come on for no reason, etc.) but I haven't had any major problems. The tires do wear quickly, but changing to a different brand might help there.

There is a reason that I specified that I have owned 2 of these. Someone in a Pontiac Grand Prix blew a stop sign and came into the right front of the '99 at about 40 mph. Totalled the car, but my wife and I both opened our doors and walked away with minor bruises and scrapes. That is the reason that we bought the 2001 to replace it, and I consider it an important endorsement for the car.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• I have to agree with you. I have the new XK convertible, and only after a few months I found myself having to swerve to avoid running over a cyclist who smashed into a parked car's door. As I ended up on the wrong side of the road, and oncoming taxi collided almost head on with me going at 45mph+.

The two passengers and I opened the doors and walked away without any injuries. Jaguar have really got safety to very high levels. Looking at the car, its unbelievable how we were untouched in the cabin.

This has to be the biggest selling point for an everyday car. I got this car because although it doesn't have amazing performance, it is very easy to control and run everyday, and has great torque for such a light weight.

And it's absolutely gorgeous.
  • flgirlaolflgirlaol Posts: 51
    My husband is ordering the Jaguar XKR (convertible) on Monday. I checked out the backseats and they are pretty tight. They'll be great in those rare times when we'll take this car out with everyone in it. Does anyone know if there is a car seat or a booster that would fit in those curved seats for a 3 year old? They don't look very flat like other sports cars.

Thanks so much. :confuse:
  • sophiefsophief Posts: 1
    I have the exact same question!!! CAn you please let me know what you find?
    Thanks,
    Sophie
  • kal3kal3 Posts: 1
    The jaguar rag top has always been my dream car, and now I'm considering buying a 2003-2004 XKR. Found an '03 with 27K miles, loaded, asking price $39K. I'd appreciate any info from those who own or have owned one. I live in WA state and am a little worried about winter driving. Also curious about repairs, problems, costs, etc. Thanks!
  • mary37mary37 Posts: 4
    Hi, I am thinking of buying an 2007 XK and was wondering what the feedback was on ownership? Any problems or regrets?
    It really is a lovely car, I have just started looking and have found several used on the market as well, and was surprised to see that so soon. Any info would be great.
  • dmintzerdmintzer Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a car seat that works for a 3 year old-I have the same problem-Thanks
  • flgirlaolflgirlaol Posts: 51
    Hi there,

Well, my husband got his beautiful black XK-R convertible a couple weeks ago and my daughter's car seat is a bit too tall for it but yesterday we went to a baby store and we found something very interesting that we haven't taken out of the box yet. It's a Safety 1st Tote and Go car seat..it's like a car seat pouch that attaches to the seat belt and has a 5 point harness. It looks like the kid is wearing a safety pack strapped to her.

Now we haven't tried this at all! I should really look into this but it was only $25.00 so we grabbed it and she's only going to be riding in the car on a rare occassion. But I do want to look more into this harness type seat. It's supposed to be used while traveling in rental cars/taxis and stuff.

Hope that helps. If you child rides in there more, a permenant child seat may be your best bet. :)
  • sheikensheiken Posts: 1
    I am also interested in this child seat issue. Can someone confirm it is practically possible to seat one two ear old ,and one five year old, in the back (in permanent safety seats)? Does anyone know of an adult ever having squeezed into the rear seat of the XK? :)
  • I sat in it yesterday I am 5'10. Incredibly uncomfortable, it gives new meaning to plastic seats covered with nice leather. This was in the coupe which should have more backseat room than the convertible.

Convertible tops store behind the rear seat minimizing rear seat occupants legroom

a two year old is doable a five year old is getting close.

how tall is the child, below five ft should not be a problem, 4'8 and higher is going to be no fun for anyone in the backseat.

when I testdrove the car with my wife, I had to have the seat all the way forward, to accomodate the salesperson and she was only 5 ft, and she struggled.

THink about it this way, this is not a car to drive to dinner with you and 3 other people. It is a car for at most two people. The backseats, are just there to reduce insurance prices.
  • I work at a Jaguar dealership and I am also the proud owner of a 2007 XK convertible. We have sold approximately two dozen of these beauties and I have seen all of the issues that have come into our service department. Most of the issues have been misunderstandings in how the vehicle operates. I will say it has been a learning experience on my end to know all of the things to make an xk driver aware of so their experience is care free. But we have not had any real issues with any of them except a very early on computer software upgrade. :blush:
  • what do you think has been confusing owners about the car's operation. Are these things design faults or do they not get proper instruction?
  • Has anyone seen the new Azure color on the XK/XKR convertible. I'm would order the Ivory interior with slate and burl wood trim and 20" Senta wheels. I would get the Dark Blue rag top. I was lucky to test drive both the XK and XKR convertibles several times now! I even got to drive the XKR on a semi race track that was fun!
  • My 2003 XK-8 just ran out of warranty. I have had several electrical issues over the years. I'm sure they would have been very costly if I had to pay for them. Anyone else looking at this?
  • I am looking at the same issue for my 2003 XKR. I just bought it in July as the warranty expired, with only 8k miles.
    Initially bought a warranty through the local Jaguar dealer, which turned out to be useless as I had my first repair issues - they covered nothing so I cancelled the warranty for a full refund.
    Am now looking for a major breakdown warranty - powertrain, roof, etc.
    Be interested in sharing info on this, and appreciate anyone else's experience.
  • I have used the rear seat of the 2002 XKR Convertible for my kids and on one occasion an unfortunate colleague.
    Getting the car seat for the two-year old in there is a real challenge, as it takes up lots of space. Once the kid is in there, I have to move the passenger seat all the way forward and the back all the way up - and his feet still hit the back of the front seat.
    For the older kids, the room back there is fine.
  • I hear carchex is a reputable provider of extended warranties. Has anyone had experience with this company?
  • Do not know about carchex but did buy an extended warranty through the dealer after I bought a used 2003 XKR convertible privately. I believe the company was JBS/JDS/JDM or the like. After they failed to cover some repairs that I thought they should have, however, I cancelled the warranty for a full refund.
    Good luck.