Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XK Series Overall Ownership Experience

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    And here I am, a new (to me) 2009 Liquid Silver Jag XK Coupe owner! Just a gorgeous piece of work, an attention getter no doubt.

I've only had it a few weeks, but one smooth, powerful, quiet and comfortable ride. Not sure I'm looking forward to New England winters, but I'll be buying snow shoes. Or, panic and buy a winter beater...

So far, ownerhsip-experience-wise: The AM radio has gone adios. Averaging ~20mpg in mixed driving, need to buy some fresh Zaino but am enjoying the shine supplied by the dealer. 12 year old son approves of the car, 15 year old daughter not so much. She feels the $ was better spent on home renovations and college savings. Can't argue with that, my thoughts, too, just her voice. But the mid-life crisis side of the brain ruled the day!

If anyone has any experiences to report with their 2007+ XKs, love to read 'em!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Hi, Folks:

New '09 XK Coupe owner. Does anyone know if when the passenger door or hatch is open, should there be a chime to go along with the IP notification. Driver's door chimes, not passenger or hatch...

Thanks!

Over a month in with the XK. A/C tube, AM Radio and Glove Box door fixed. Still enjoying the ride, like the exhaust note. Car gets a lot of attention, has been mistaken for (not surprisingly) an Aston Martin and Maserati so far. Getting ~20mpg in mixed driving.

• Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    No pic?

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Claire

HOST

Luddite, nowhere to host pix...

The XK continues to get unsolicited compliments (sadly, not so the driver...). Biggest gripe for me is the brake dust buildup on the alloys. It's almost like having a black car, they're only clean for about a day or two after cleaning. But whatever wax the dealer applied to the body when prepping is keeping water beading up quite nicely. However, Zaino in the near future. Although I don't relish the ritual (Dawn wash, Z7 wash, Z6, then a couple of coats of Z5/ZFX. Yeah, Z5, not Z2 per Sal for the Liquid Silver color). I must be getting old...

Exhaust note continues to put a smile on my face. And the mpg hasn't been bad although I think the OBC may be about 5% optimistic. Winter fast approaches, so we'll have to get the lovely wife her new wheels in the next couple of months so I can user her RX300 when the snow flies.

Loving the Jag, but thinking what's my next set of wheels...! ;)

But, post on I shall:

Another electrical gremlin for the Jag: Nav system has flaked out. Started shutting down every time I entered a destination, took two or three tries to enter, but it worked. No longer, now I'm stuck in Washington, DC, can't program any other location! And, the AM radio might be on vacation again... But, no critical system failures and I totally expected electrical gremlins. Warranty, loner car. But, come the end of warranty, I may have to set the feline free! To roam, unfettered amongst the common, proletariat hoi polloi of the mainstream automobile backwater! And, then I'll buy a Kia...

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

Dealer couldn't recreate the Nav issue. I picked up car, and while sitting in the lot, after service had closed, was able to recreate the issue first three times I tried to enter an address. Fourth time and beyond, it worked. I'll keep an eye on it, bring it back later.

At least it got a nice bath.

Still loving the sound of this ride, great exhaust note! And, of course, the style.

Stopped by the Jag dealer regarding the rebooting Nav system. Got a tech in the car, couldn't recreate the issue for him....initially. Finally, it rebooted the system several times. They kept the car for three days, ultimately replacing the Nav system. I got a Hyundai Santa Fe rental (on the dealer, of course), nice enough. Best part was the Satellite radio.

Dusting of snow today, my XK barely made it up the driveway! My first RWD car with wide, low Summer tires. I expected poor snow performance (I won't be driving it in real snow), but I was surprised at how bad it was in a dusting, probably < 1/8"!

• Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Wow, it's about time they replaced that Nav system for you... just in time for snow tires?

Claire

HOST

Not this winter. I have use of an older SUV for the white gold. Come this fall, I'll have to decide which direction to take: snows or as the OEM Dunlop's may be ready for replacement, all-season's with a rep for being good in the snow (Continental Contact DSW, Nokian WRG2?) or trading the XK for something a little more practical. Right now, that would be an Audi A/S5, A7 or RR Evoque. Would be tough to part with the XK, though, but I think I've scratched the mid-life crisis itch. Although, there is the (hopefully!) upcoming Jag C-X16! Wife told my son it would be "irresponsible of your father to buy a two-seater!" That's cold... ;)

• The Akebono brand brake pads will eliminate nearly all the black powder soot from the wheels. [http://www.autopartswarehouse.com has them as AKEBONO EURO ULTRA-PREMIUM BRAKE PADS, CERAMIC, 2-WHEEL SET] I had them installed with EBC slotted rotors and they work great and eliminated nearly all the soot problem.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll review when the time comes. Luckily, they're an easy clean.

Not sure he would cross his Mom, the "money tree!" Wife has a passive-aggresive attitude about my XK. She's been encouraging me for years to just do it, but I being a fiscally conservative New Englander felt there were better things to do with the money (mortgage, college savings, blackjack... ;) ). But, when a stock I owned was bought out, a sudden cash windfall-ish. Which I was going to save for a rainy, college invoice day... But she persuaded me to go to the dark side. And, is mad at me for doing so! I think she thought my "cheapness" wouldn't allow me to do so. Heads she wins, tails I lose!

But, that future Jag is a temptress. Let's see how reality stacks up to the fantasy.

So, two days after a rock creates an 18" straight line crack in the wife's BMW, today my car got nailed. Dime-sized crack about 8" below my sight line. Let's see how it looks tonight...

• v8catv8cat Posts: 6
    I've had my 2010 Jaguar XK coupe now almost 1 1/2 years. Not a problem! It has been back to the dealer only once for the free annual oil change. I'm just amazed at what an improvement the car is over the 1999 XK8 coupe I traded in. The aluminum body is much more rigid, and the new 385 HP engine is nice. The exhaust note is really exotic sounding - the older model I had was too quiet. The interior materials are top-notch including the leather covered dashboard and the soft grain leather seats with contrasting stitching. It also has the Bowers & Wilkins sound system, 16-way heated & cooled seats and the BEST THING ABOUT IT IS ALL OF THIS WAS STANDARD. There was not an option on the car except for the 20 inch Kalimnos wheels. It's great that you don't feel a bit cheated becasue you are in the base model.
    edited April 2012
    Nice to hear about your XK, I agree that the exhaust note is great! My '09 "only" has the 300hp 4.2, but that's fine by me. The B & W system is also great, much better sounding to me than the Alpine. Mine also has the luxury pkg, so leather everywhere, multi-adjustable seats etc. Contrasting stitching would have been a nice touch, though.

Where are you located, any snow experience with your XK?

It has been a year since I bought my Liquid Silver '09 Jag XK Coupe.

Likes: Well, look at it! It's an attention getter (last week, the father of one of my son's teammates brought his silver Aston Martin DB9 convertible to the game, I parked next to him. Like twins, separated at birth! Gotta admit, though, the Aston looks even better). Exhaust note, power delivery through the seamless auto tranny, luxurious interior, great ride/handling combination and fuel economy all make the like list. My new favorite frivolity, heated steering wheel has spoiled me for all cars to come (except, of course, the "winter beater" I'm contemplating buying. I just need that to run well and have heat!). And the keyless push button start is cool, the B&W audio system rocks and rolls.

Dislikes: Hmmm, well fuel economy (yes, also a like, because given the car and my driving, the 19-20mpg I average ain't bad. But, not great.). Warranty trips to the dealer for the AC issue (passenger footwell filling with condensation water), the audio control module and Nav system replacement. But, it's a British car, so the electronic gremlins surprised me not. The AC was unexpected. But, warranty work and absolutely fine otherwise. The touch screen certainly isn't state of the art, slow and having to scroll back and forth amongst screens isn't as much fun as it sounds. But, again, I knew of the electronic foibles before buying, so it was not a deal breaker.

So, I'll continue to enjoy this wonderful GT through the summer that is inching closer every day. I do kinda miss having a roof hole, c'est la guerre. I do need a road trip, though!

But the other Prince of Darkness: Another "Lucas" moment. The other day, hopped in the XK and all the radio presets were gone. As was any radio audio. Ok, switched to CD, no problem. Drove home, rebooted car and all is well again. No problems since. But, the Gremlins, they lay in wait! 9 months of warranty left...

Of course, this happened two days after I was at the dealer for an hour simply getting my state inspection sticker, maybe it picked up a germ from a Land Rover? :P