Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type Transmission Problems

Comments

• I just recently purchased a 2003 Jaguar S-Type and wanted keep someone handy in case I have problems. Please email me at AshleyandTaylorJackson06@yahoo.com
    Ty!!!
  • Good luck. Check regularly all bushes, wishbones, and anti roll bar and drop links. Also shocks. What engine is it? Hopefully as it is 2003 you will have the ZF box, better than the original French 5N55R. Watch out for minor electrical faults, door locks windows and of course the heater. Keep them all repaired and you will be fine. JM
  • ashjagashjag Posts: 3
    My Jag shifts from drive or reverse into neutral. They said it could be a computer problem, but from where?
  • 03styper03styper Posts: 1
    Hello, I own a 2003 S-Type-R. I have changed the injectors at 129000 miles and now it runs better than ever. I bought some used ones that were cleaned and flowed to within 3% of each other. What a difference it made, it is a pain to change them on the R model. The engineers that designed that system were nuts!! I do have a question, what type of transmission fluid does Jag recommend for the 6 speed auto?
  • Needs a special and very expensive fluid. Does not use Ford fluid. Needs fluid for a zf 6hp24 or 28.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    Some Jaguar owners with your car and your ZF tranmission report no problems using THIS FLUID:

PENTOSIN ATF1-1L

You may want to further research this online as a lower cost alternative to the Shell ATF M1375.4 recommended by jaguar, which is very pricey indeed.
  • atazzatazz Posts: 1
    Hello, Thanks for the hard shifting infromation. What is "SW UPGRADE"
    and what did it cost? Is that software or parts?
    tanks tazz
  • A "software upgrade" is what is commonly known in the business as a reflash.
    When defects in a cars programming are discovered, the engineers rush
    to come up with a new program that will eliminate the problem. Sometimes the new reflash has its own problems. My '97 xk8 had about 6 new reflashes
    announced (transmission only) between '96 and '05 when I sold it. 1 hour labor time is the normal charge and there are few shops other than the dealer who can do it. With the "Data Aquisition Charge" It would cost about $135.00
    at my shop. Most Dealers would be cheaper if they are honest because they don't have to pay to aquire the new program from Jag.
  • Im going to buy a vintage jag 2002 and i am going to check it with the country dealer tomorow .....thanks .
  • Car has 135K. First 2 transmissions were replaced under warranty. Replaced one at cost in 2010 and it failed two weeks ago. Repair shop put in one with 75K on it as a favor. Now, cylinder 7 is misfiring and would be an expensive fix. Will try to sell or trade car and never get another. With the 4th transmission in the car, I just wonder if anyone ever successfully brought a class action suit about the problem against Jaguar. I have heard similar transmission horror stories.
  • jaymzsjaymzs Posts: 16
    In answer to your message, I also had a tech tell me on my 2001 S V8 that I had a weak or misfire on a cylinder and they wanted to pull the heads. Case in Point I ask them to switch the ox senser from left to right, there are 4 of them on the v8. bingo, the other bank misfired. Replace one ox senser for 200.00 at 55,000.00 the car now has 100+ on it, good motor!!!

Last on your Trans, mine had torque coverter squeal which eventually chewed up the tranny.
    I had the trans flashed many times, but only would last for a few months and I would get program drifts. Trust me, if you want a bullet proof transmission to go back just have program drift. The ZF trans in this car is used in many high end cars.
  • jaymzsjaymzs Posts: 16
    #223 of 223 Trans Prob and Cylinder missing by jaymzs

Oct 09, 2012 (9:04 am)
    In answer to your message, I also had a tech tell me on my 2001 S V8 that I had a weak or misfire on a cylinder and they wanted to pull the heads. Case in Point I ask them to switch the ox senser from left to right, there are 4 of them on the v8. bingo, the other bank misfired. Replace one ox senser for 200.00 at 55,000.00 the car now has 100+ on it, good motor!!!

Last on your Trans, mine had torque coverter squeal which eventually chewed up the tranny.
    I had the trans flashed many times, but only would last for a few months and I would get program drifts. Trust me, if you want a bullet proof transmission to go back just have program drift. The ZF trans in this car is used in many high end cars.
  • that is what I use also. slightly cheaper than genuine Jag and they ship it straight
    To you home or shop if you order thru "World PAC.com. just download their "speed dial" program, and you just got access to the cheapest Jag parts and even Technician advice. (for a fee) Soberguy.
  • what are your codes? what is the transmission fluid level? Does your speedometer ever stop working. do you have ABS lites or traction control lites?
  • I hear people constantly saying that this is the same car as a Lincoln LS. it is not. They are both built on the same platform, but almost nothing interchanges. the Ford spark plugs will screw into the holes, but have different harmonics and heat ranges. the coils won't even interchange and the transmissions are completely different. The Ford unit is more dependable but doesn't shift at the higher performance speeds of your ZF. If you try to install a Lincoln transmission in your Jag, you will need the wiring harness,PCM, andTCM out of the Ford to make it work. Let's go back to the basics. What are your codes. are there any other lites on: abs,tcm, brake or parking brake?
  • Take your car back to good mechanic and find out if it is overheating or you have a bad sensor or short in sensor wires etc. There is a coolant feed line on top of the v-8 models that can cause static cooling due to vapor lock. Checking the cooling system is much cheaper than replacing the head gaskets and then checking the cooling system. Rule #1. Never mess with an overheating Jaguar. Always tow or take them in immediately if they seem to be hot. The engines and heads are just too expensive.
  • Ford doesn't make an independent rear axle anymore and they sold out to TaTa Motor company in 2010.
  • Your Ford tech very well might know what is going on, but, he didn't learn it from Ford. Those cars use completely different transmissions and I would love to see the look on his face when he tries to order parts for your ZF6hp!
  • MY LABOR CHARGE FOR BEING HANDY IS 96dollars per labor hour.
  • Do whatever you want with your car. However, a cylinder 7 misfire has nothing to do with your transmission except to throw it into limp mode. The cylinder either has a bad spark plug,injector or coil. All are easy fixes. Did this car have the plugs and coils replaced at 100,000 mi as needed?