Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ Transmission Questions

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
If you've had any difficulty with the transmision in your XJ series car, please tell us about it.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Comments

• No really problems. There is a recall out for a programming issue. Other than that the cars has been great.
  • ksjksj Posts: 6
    I have a 1998 XJ V8 vanden plais. Last spring at 80,000 I had a rebuilt transmission installed from a transmission shop. A rebuilt transmission cost was $3200, while a brand new transmission is $7000+ from dealer. Rebuilt possibly can last another 20-30,000.

Good luck.
  • I have a 1990 xj40 that has a 4.0 liter that run great and has been fully tuned. the nagging problem that I have is that after washing the car the transmission jumps to limp home set for about a week to ten days and the works fine. It sounds like water under the dash when I turn right or left. Did the previous owner/mechanic leave a plug out?? or is there something I can do to prevent this (other than driving a filthy BRG jag???)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    You could try covering the fresh air vents under the wiper blades with clear plastic and tape while you wash it. If that works, then you know you have a leak through the firewall under the wipers, possibly from a clogged drain in there. What happens is that the drain clogs, the water builds up in that basin like a fish tank, and then sloshes through some plug or cable or opening in the firewall...the firewall was not intended to be waterproof.

So clean the drains out and that might help you.

• Check the connector on the transmission(driver's side) if it has the rubber boot, or check for the connector's connection cleanliness, check pins if they are not corroded, use electronic parts cleaner. Check for trans mount, if it's gone the trans will move more then it was designed and can cause connection problems.
  • papeenunpapeenun Posts: 1
    How can I reset my lights?
  • wojcikwojcik Posts: 3
    Yup.

I have a 2000 XJR which I bought in 2001. To tell the truth, it has been an excellent car. However, last month, the transmission just started to disengage for no reason. I had a few other error messages crop up (a rear wheel sensor was going at the same time, which disables traction control and ASC). I have twice now gotten an incorrect gear ratio error that lets me limp home; when the car is restarted, no problem.

It is QUITE a problem when you go to accelerate on the highway and the engine just revs. Flipping to a different gear, or in and our of neutral, does nothing. Not even an error message most of the time. When the car slows down to 30 MPH, it re-engages with grace and ease - not a slam jerk or anything like that.

So far, the Jag dealer tried to sell me bushings and shocks (don't car if the transmission doesn't engage), AAMCO says the mechanicals are OK, and I'm out $1500 of various 'repairs'. The ECM has thrown a transmission error (incorrect gear ration), but the TCM doesn't have that error. Seems like I have an electrical problem somewhere, but WHERE!!!

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Louis
  • vondavonda Posts: 4
    Your message has a real clue in it. Read a post (elsewhere) about a guy whose XJ would dissengage and he got so he could tell it was about to do so. Went thru 2 tranny replacements and countless other things until a true technician spotted a faulty ABS sensor on a rear wheel---the engine management system recognized the (erroneous) signal as a catastrophic condition and disengaged the transmission! I'm simply repeating the story, but it looks like your tranny problem may be little more than the car trying to avoid self-destruction that is being suggested by the ABS sensor.
  • I have a 93 XJ6 sedan and, at the moment I think I am having transmission problems. I'm not sure and I honestly won't be able to aford to take it to a mechanic to even look at it until next week. The car is making whining noises and every now and then I hear like some liquid sloshing around (sounds like it's behind me but I'm not sure). Idk why it would have problems it's only been driven 77k miles since my grandfather bought it in 95. The car also has had plenty of trouble with the battery and circuits. Can anyone help tell me if they are having similar problems and how they fixed it or if anyone knows this situation well enough to advise.
  • tworkdatworkda Posts: 7
    I was receving a 'Gear box fault' but it seems to go away.

I'm having problems locating the area to check the transmission oil.
  • vondavonda Posts: 4
    "Sealed transmission"---the 5 speed ZF auto----for detailed instructions and info see:

http://www.zf-group.com/pdf/5HP19FL.pdf

Good luck....
  • I have a XJ6 and I washed my car then the tranny went into limp mode so I dried it out and it still will not come off. Is there a way to manually take it off of limp mode or did something fried out when it got wet? I never had a problem with it until I washed it and everything is dry, it has been about 3 mo. I checked all my connections and everything seems good but one thing I did notice is that my dash light sometimes go off and on but it does go away after some time on the road.
  • Remove battery cables this should reset your system.
  • tjb069tjb069 Posts: 1
    I have a XJ6 and the transmission light came on the car went into 1 gear only this got me home I checked the fluid shut off the car re-started it and the light went out and it shifted great! this has happen several time and not sure what to do any help would be great..... Also can some one tell me if the car has a chevy tranny as i have heard this many times
  • This is in followup of my former post - hopefully my problems are resolved and I can share this with everyone.

TWO problems had to be corrected:

1. My transmission really did have a mechanical problem and a rebuild fixed the internal hydraulic issues. Cottman Transmissions did this for 60% of the price that AAMCO quoted.

2. The transmission "neutralization" problem had to do with the ABS system. The ABS sensor and harness to the left rear tire were bad and needed to be replaced. However, this didn't correct the problem. A bearing was loose on the same tire, and tighten that finally fixed the problem.

What REALLY irritates me is that after the transmission was rebuilt, and after the local Jag dealer replaced the rear wheel ABS hardware, they DIDN'T tighten the bearing - resulting in the persistent neutralization and their stated desire to spend $13K of my money to put in a factory rebuilt transmission. Cottman Trany tightened the bearing saving me that experience. Somebody over at the Jag dealership must have slipped and passed on the info to Cottman.

So, in summary, SHAME ON JAGUAR and their dealers!!!!

There is NO excuse for a transmission to give out at 84,000 miles unless you are in nascar. I love my car, but this is the last Jaguar I buy.

Regards,
    Louis
  • What cause the gearbox fault light to come on?
    After the gearbox light came on it didn't want to go into gear.
  • wojcikwojcik Posts: 3
    I unfortunately experienced two problems. Neutralization of the transmission (car running, NO engagement of the transmission until it slowed to 30mph) was due to a bad ABS wire, and misalignment so some sort of the left rear ABS element at the wheel itself (or so I'm told by the mechanic who fixed that issue).

The gearbox fault is an internal mechanical issue, and you may need a transmission rebuild :(

I, too, had the occasional issue of the transmission not wanting to shift out of part and into gear, and turning my Jag off and restarting it seemed to work. However, it wasn't related to the gearbox fault light coming on. This problem has gone away, too, with the transmission rebuild.

Hope this info helps.
  • HOW about this crappy limp mode?
    I have a 1990 xj6 that is cherry but,I may have to junk her because of this problem with the transmission.
    I cannot fatham a transmission going out at 105 thousand miles when old people drive it all the time.
    Does this ring a bell With anyone?
    So what is my option?
    Thanks
    Glenn
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,332
    If you were to sell it - you'd have to fix it so after you fix it - drive it.
  • Good morning Friend!
    You are partly right.
    BUT i plan on selling it to the wrecking yard as a parts car.
    Too bad because it is a fine car. BUT jaguar has screwed a lot of people. With a bad transmission.
    NOW researching putting in a different transmission.
    Will let everyone know what i find, I own body shops! so i know a lot of people.
  • drcuresdrcures Posts: 3
    My 1995 Jaguar XJ6 began having a transmission problem in the last few days. It feels like the transmission is slipping as the car feels like it's bucking a little or like the transmission is grabbing and then periodically letting go for a second. No lights have come on and the fluid is full. I live on a hill and once recently I had to pull the car out of park a little harder than normal and heard a little clang, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I didn't know if there was some adjustment it needed as replacing the transmission makes no sense in a car worth under $5000. The car has 135,000 miles and I believe it's the original transmission. Any suggestions on what to check?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    Well you'll have to have the transmission diagnosed to see if limp mode is from an external or internal problem. If it's from an external sensor or control unit it may be worth fixing. If it's internal, the car is probably not worth repairing, you are right. You could buy a clean, low mileage 1990 XJ6 with a good transmission for less money than overhauling your transmission, which is at least 20 hours just for the labor.

100K is not great longevity for an automatic transmission but it's not premature either. The world's best warranties from the world's best cars don't offer more than 100K, so if Rolls Royce or Toyota or Mercedes apparently doesn't think a transmission should go over 100K, i don't see why Jaguar owners could hope for more. One might expect 150K but more often than not, it doesn't turn out that way for most car owners.

Options? Spend some $$$ on a diagnosis and make your final decision based on that. There is a complete diagnostic step by step for this transmission available to any competent shop.

Engine missfire would relay the same symtoms. Age of wires and plugs?
    Actually, you hit the nail on the head. It was a bad coil, which was causing a misfire. The shop replaced the coil and plugs, now no problem. Always take it to a Jaguar mechanic though, the first shop just took it for a test drive, then said the transmission was bad.
    Happy to know you have it fixed. The XJ is an admired motor car. :)
    Since you seem to know a lot, how easy is it to replace the bulbs that make the clock LED's work, as they are not readable at this point. I know I have a watch, but I'm on the go a lot and a working clock woutd be nice.
    Is the brightness dependent on a dimmer or reostat that varies the volume of light illuminating the rest of the dash? If so, turn up the dash lights dimmer to it's brightest setting and see if it is connected to the clock.
  • djagmandjagman Posts: 5
    the trans is a zf.made in germany.somebody did not tack care of it.but it is worth fixing.
  • cin2cin2 Posts: 1
    Jag transmission problems? Contact immediately, the NHTSA hotline center.(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.)
    Either e-mail NHTSA Hotline@telesishq.com or call 1-888-327-4236.
    They will take your complaint seriously.
    If they have enough complaints, they will open an investigation and determine if a recall should be done.
    Sept 30,2008 my 1998 XJ8 started balking and the transmission fault light came on.The car did not want to move forward, but very slowly. in several miles, there was a loud thuuump.The car did not want to accelerate. I had the car carried home on a flat bed truck.
    I googled transmission fault Jaguar and came across several sites with a multitude of complaints from Jag owners about failed transmissions.
    I called Jag Corporate and they claim not to have any complaints about transmission fault problems. Jaguar stated that the owners of the vehicles with transmission fault problems probably do not service their cars. I stated that is simply untrue, that you cannot say that all the Jaguars that have transmisison problems have owners that do not take care of their vehicles.
    I reminded him that I had called Jaguar and complained about 3 years ago that my Jaguar would suddenly lose power on the interstate and I was fortunate that I was not killed.It happened about 6-8 times and Jaguar told me that they had no other complaints about the issue. Well, here we are almost 3 years later and 6 months ago they issued a recall for the Throttle Operation which in "EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES" could cause the car to lose power.

I filed a complaint online with consumer.com and the NHTSA.
    NHSTA recorded the information today with a case number and will have an investigator review it within the next 48 hours.
    I called a transmission shop and was told that the drum breaks and the metal gets into the transmission and that it is a common problem for Jags.

SO IF YOU OR ANYONE THAT YOU KNOW HAS HAD TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS, I URGE YOU TO IMMEDIATELY FILE A COMPLAINT.
    Good luck . Cin2
  • I have an 05 xjr (silver) with the clear comeing off in spots.......Jajuar says the car is just old!!!! Owne a 99 xjr dark green clear is fadeing bad...........This one is geting old....Now my GMC truck (Red) 02....Looks great. Love My car, But Jaguar is no help at all..........Later tell everyone about my tran prob.Jackson Mississippi Jaguar Dealer is a joke.

Joeyxjr