Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid Engine Problems

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    "My engine also destroyed itself. It was in August I think. I didn't do any maintenance on the car and it has 50K+ miles on it."

I presume you mean you didn't do any maintenance on the car YOURSELF?
  • ajoseph1ajoseph1 Posts: 3
    No, I didn't mean that. I meant no maintenance was done.
    "No, I didn't mean that. I meant no maintenance was done."

Besides normal oil changes & etc.?

Otherwise you have set a record for mileage between oil changes...
  • hybrid11hybrid11 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have had several problems with this as well on my 2005 escape awd (twice) but the dealer said it was the trottle control chip which was replaced. It ran for quite a while with no problems with 45k for the total miles. The othe problem I have is the check engine light which is on more than off but has no effect on the cars performance. It says the gas cap is not on tight and then the emmisions warning indicator comes on, engine light comes on. I have had this gas tank refill tube replaced twice but the problem is still occuring but both the mpg and running of the engine seems normal and performance unaffected.
    Roy.
  • My 10,500 mile Escape hybrid has been in the dealership for a month waiting for an instrument cluster, which is on nationwide backorder. One day I was driving along, and all the "idiot" lights flashed on and then turned off. I brought it into the dealer that day. They could not figure out what happened, then the technician hit the dashboard and all the lights went on. They could not find the "loose wire" so they ordered an instrument cluster. This sounds similar to what was experienced in this thread - service lights turn on, the car chugs or slows, and then recovers. One time I had the cruise control on and it turned off. If this is on nationwide backorder, I imagine this is happening to more than I am finding in my research. Anyone else have this experience?
  • I can't start up the engine as I stopped by my friend's house. I shut off the engine and went inside the house for 10 minutes, then I got into the car again, and tried to start up the engine just as usual. I can't hear any sound from engine compartment (the starter does not run) and engine and oil warning lights are on. The message window shows the oil life has 45%, the electrical pack is OK, Brake system is OK. The car has about 18k miles and there is no sign of any degradation at all. I have been getting 30 mpg consistently.

Is anyone has same issue as mine? What would be the problems? Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
  • hevincalihevincali Posts: 7
    You did change the oil at the regular intervals correct?
    I had a similar problem, my 06 Escape Hybrid engine seized on me a few weeks ago without any warning, no check engine or low oil pressure light. I had just changed the oil 2000 miles ago or so (no where near the 10,000 recommended interval) and it turns out somehow I was left with only 3/4 of a quart left. How this happened I don't know, no evidence of leaks or anything. I have 89,000 miles on it. This is over the powertrain warranty but within the 100,000 unique hybrid components warranty. Technically the engine is listed under the powertrain but this is a unique engine to the hybrids, brand new specifically for them and with a unique engine cycle (Atkinson). I've talked with the dealer and Ford engineering but they're only wiling to drop the price a little. I'm not happy with this situation and am putting this out as a warning to all other Hybrid escape owners to be careful of this issue.
    So the latest is that the dealer and Ford Customer Service only offered to reduce the labor rate and offered no other assistance. They actually accused me of not performing the scheduled maintenance just because I didn't let the dealer scam me into doing a more frequent oil change. I had it towed home and bought another engine for it. I'm removing the parts necessary to get the motor out and when I take the halfshaft out from the transmission I have Engine oil spilling out from it.
    So bottom line is that the seal between the engine and the transmission blew out.
    I'm in contact with Ford Customer Service again.
    "So the latest is that the dealer and Ford Customer Service only offered to reduce the labor rate and offered no other assistance. They actually accused me of not performing the scheduled maintenance just because I didn't let the dealer scam me into doing a more frequent oil change. "

Did you perform the oil change intervals mentioned in the owner's manual?
    Yep, It recommends every 10,000miles and I changed it a little more often than that using Mobile 1 fully synthetic. I have a new engine in it now and am a day or two from starting it up. The Transmission didn't end up having engine oil in it. It was just really dark trans fluid. I'm just having a little trouble getting the left front halfshaft in. does anyone have any recommendations on that? There is a retaining clip that I think I just have to get seated but it doesn't seem to want to go in all of the way.
    " I'm just having a little trouble getting the left front halfshaft in. does anyone have any recommendations on that? There is a retaining clip that I think I just have to get seated but it doesn't seem to want to go in all of the way. "

Sorry, I'm not that mechanically inclined.

Where did you get a hybrid engine? I believe they are different from the normal I4 Escape, being Atkinson cycle rather than Otto cycle...
    Got the halfshaft in, just gotta slam it a bit, get some momentum.

On ebay, from a place in North Carolina, shipping was 1/2 the price of the engine. got it for $550. All the others I saw were more like 1700. 60 day warranty,
    It started Wednesday night and I drove it around the block Thursday after bleeding the coolant. Not an easy thing to do either. I'll drive it a bit more today and see how it goes.
  • I'm looking for a replacement long block for my 2005 Escape Hybrid. I have located one source that claims to have such an engine but it says it's the same engine as in the standard Escape. I believe the hybrid has an Atkinson cycle engine that is different from the standard Escape. Can anyone point me to a source for a rebuilt engine?
  • Hi everyone!
    I have a 2007 Escape Hybrid with only under 10000 miles. The car is horrible, shuts off after 0 minutes of driving,the red triangle simbol cames on.I took it to 3 different ord dealers, and they charged me over $1000 for nothing.s fine. They just can't find the problem. I was suspected overheating, I checked radiator, radiator fan, everything if good. After 20 minutes of driving
    it's just shuts off, then when cools off, then starts again.
  • hello,

we also have a ford hyride 2006 and we have exact the same prolems. As we live on Sint Maarten there is no knowledge and they told us that the car can't be repaired anymore. hope you can help us. I can not find your service bulletin on the ford site. can you send us a copy of it so we can go te garage with it.
  • I suspect the problem is a pump which circulates coolant to the battery. I had the same problem as you multiple times on my 06 FEH FWD. No codes, no clues, just the red triangle of death, pull over to the side of the road, turn everything off and then restart,. You would have sworn the pig was made by Microsoft. This probably happened 30 times before being towed in a Seattle dealer from dying a dozen times on I-5. The guys at Scarff Ford in Auburn, Washington figured it out right away and solved a problems that 4 different Canadian Ford dealers were no help with. It is a known problem but since my vehicle is a salvage title I paid the bill myself. If your FEH is under warranty they should be able to fix it quick. Parts cost was about $300 and labor was a similar amount. Thank heavens for full service AAA or we could have added a $500 towing bill. The dealer did give me a rental car for a day at no additional charge because he did not have the part in stock. The ironic thing is I drove the car on the wrecker at the I-5 rest stop, and I drove the car off the wrecker at Scarff Motors. My wife was so traumatized by 20 random engine failures on I-5 and Highway 2 in Alberta she refused to ride in car I mile further. Ford dealers have the amazing ability to make you feel you are an idiot with a novel problem Scarff Ford in Auburn acknowledged issues and had the solution and the repair completed within 27 hours of being the recipient of Kermit.
  • Dear Jim,

The engine is hybrid specific, and when you get the replacement engine see if the computer that came with the engine is also available. In the 05/06 series there are 5 different ECMS used, Make sure if you are changing engines the ECM will work with the new engine. I do have a spare that came out when we changed a trans axle and it would not talk to the new one. tya2@4-fly.net

escape06
  • hennehenne Posts: 407
    I test drove a new 2010 FEH and a FFH for the first time today. After the initial start, the RPM's on the FEH were about 1500 during warm up, then after a min or so, it settled down. I have never seen a vehicle rev that high for a warm up. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

Robert
  • hennehenne Posts: 407
    Found out on another forum this is normal.
  • whitey9whitey9 Posts: 138
    It likes the engine oil at "operating temperature", so it gets the oil warmed up, and then shuts down. The oil warms more quickly when at a higher "idle' speed. When warm starting, the engine runs for a little bit to keep engine oil warm.
    Also, the CAT warms more quickly at higher idle speed as well.
  • I am having the same problem with my 08. I have to pull over every 30 miles. Do you have a contact name at Scarff Ford?
  • I bought a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid in mid summer of 2007. The automobile has been great until now, March 2010. I have put 80,000 miles on it since I bought it 2.5 yrs ago. In the past two weeks the engine cuts off at high speed (60-70mph). A warning light comes on (looks like a red yield sign with an exclamation point) and dash display states "Stop slowly". There were no other warning signs or lights to indicate anything was wrong with the vehicle. I followed the instructions in the manual (turn the vehicle off for a minute and try restarting). I did this and made my way home - it cut off on me two more times that evening. The next day I checked all the fuses to make sure it was not a bad fuse.

The car functioned as normal until four days later when the same thing happened. I am taking it to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow. I am wondering if some of the wire coverings that have worn in the past 2.5 years (exposing more of the wire) may have triggered a sensor that shuts the engine off.

If anyone has had a similar experience I would like to hear about it.

Other than this the vehicle has been a pleasure to drive.
  • Do you know what the exact fix for your '06 FEH shutting off was? My '08 FEH, which was built in '07 is experiencing the same problem. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • hch109hch109 Posts: 1
    Please let me know what your dealer says about your FEH. I have a 2006 and am at 70,500 miles on my vehicle. Starting in January I received the same "Stop Safely Now" message and the FEH shut off. I had to get it towed to the dealer 2x and it was "allegedly" fixed in February. Well this past weekend my husband and I made a 4 hour drive each way for a weekend getaway and I got the same message on average every hour. We would have to pull over on the highway, shut the engine off, restart and continuing driving until we got the same message. It has not happened again since Sunday, but it just makes me nervous that it can happen again at any time. Just curious to see what your dealer says is the issue.
  • There are 2 problems I have had with the stop safely now.
    1. There was a recall that fixed a problem with part of the battery electronics corroding and an overly sensitive software code line that decided that corrosion was a reason to shut down. I had this one fixed about 3 years ago. I haven't had that issue again. It wouldn't start again for 30 minutes after this.
    2. After about 45 minutes of driving I will loose power and the engine will stop, I still have electric power and can pull over safely, after this it will start again after 10 minutes but with much less power and if I don't baby it it will happen again. I've been told this is a faulty motor electronics cooling pump (transmission cooling). Dealer wanted too much money so I'm going to change it myself. We will see what happens then.
  • I have a 2008 with 75,000 on it and had the same problem. The dealer I bought the car from couldn't find anything wrong and told me there were no codes on the diagnostic; so I took it to another dealer recommended by someone on this website. That dealer found 2 codes and replaced an electronic cooling pump. I haven't had any problem since.
  • Good morning, i have a 2005 and it is stalling all the time, i went on a road trip and it took 4 hours to get someplace it usally takes 2 hours, i checked all fluids and they are fine, i have no idea why its doing it. i almost got hit by a semi on a nerrow road because i had no where to turn off and it wouldn't let me start it again.
  • iscaisca Posts: 1
    Bought my 06 FHE used in June, and after a few months of hard driving experienced the "triangle of death" for the first time. I had a emissions code come up as well at the time. I was told by the dealer that there was a solenoid canister that needed to be replaced, well, 5 months later and 4 more times in the garage for the same issues, its getting to be a bit trying. If the car didn't just shut off randomly and without warning I might have a little more patience. When its working, I love my car, would love to get to the real issue and if anyone has any advice, I'd like to hear it.
    Thanks.
  • This happened to my wife's care last night. Her car is a 2008 with 43,000 miles. Driving on the freeway, the "Stop Safely Now" warning beeped on and she lost power. The powersteering and the ABS seemed to work fine and allowed her to pull over to the shoulder. She turned the engine off, called me and I asked her to see if the car would start. It did start and the warning was no longer on. Not trusting this car, I took it directly to the dealer for them to trouble shoot. This is the first time this warning has come on, but three other times other warning warning lights have popped on while my wife has been driving and I have taken the car in and only once did they find something, the other two times, they blame faulty sensors. I guess I should have waited for the bugs to have been removed when considering this first generation Ford Hybrid engine. BTW, I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with almost 100,000 miles on it and I have had zero problems with it. Yes there is a recall on the gas pedal, but I haven't had warning lights beep on, engines shut down, faulty acceleration, or poor braking. I am having lots of 2nd thoughts about having purchased this Escape Hybrid.
  • The nitty gritty on the problem with my 2008 Escape hybrid shutting off. I took it the dealer (Capital Ford in Raliegh, NC). They stated the water pump went bad, and the traction battery filter had to be replaced. The new water pump was $325.69, and the traction battery filter was $32.00. The total for the labor was $256.83. Total for the EEC Pin Point Test was $2.70. (Grand total of evrything was $658.80).

Again, I bought the SUV mid 2007, it have put 80,000 + miles on it since then. Yes, I was upset, I felt the pump should have been covered under warranty. But, I have been pleased with the automobile considering the amount of driving I have had to do.

Since I had the water pump replaced I am having an issue with the powertrain light coming on (looks like a wrench), but nothing seems to be wrong with the car or the engine. When I turn the car off and back on the light goes out. I will call the service department about this.