Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid Electrical & Lighting Problems

2»

Comments

• I was thinking the same thing! How hard can it be? I plan to take it to a different Ford dealership next time that hopefully has some more knowledgeable staff in the service department. Or maybe I should find a local guy since it isn't under warranty anymore anyway. Thanks for your response!
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,806
    I suppose it's POSSIBLE that when the dealer said he checked the fuses and bulbs that he MEANT he checked the switch as well. But I sure would like to hear the words come out of his mouth rather than have to try and figure it out.

Before you let anyone chase some imagined electrical gremlin, make sure they've checked the switch and the wiring that runs to it. Other than the connection to the power source, that circuit has no interaction with any other electrical system in the car. So it HAS to be a continuity problem in the circuit somewhere.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• ndfeetndfeet Posts: 2
    2007 FEH came home shut the car off came back out an hour later nothing. The headlight were dim no dash lights and relays were clicking. Put a battery charger on it and then more relays started clicking odometer and tach were pulsing with the relay clicks. jumped it and it started. took it to the Ford dealer they said battery was shot and a relay was out. 4days later the relay is here now the low tire light is on and they say I need another part $253.oo to fix that. I said we will leave that and make sure the other relay fixed the first problem. Any idea's what would cause the first problem.
  • dgcarlson1dgcarlson1 Posts: 8
    Not sure what's up with your relays. How many miles are on your '07 FEH?

Since I got my '08 FEH back after getting a new water pump at 80k miles I have had the powertrain (lighted wrench) warning come on and stay on three times. The FEH runs fine and I pull it over, turn it off and on again and the warning light goes away.It has not happened in over a month.
  • have you had the ABS Tone Rings checked? That's what the culprit was in my 2008 FEH.
  • Anyone experience your rear wiper coming on when you start your Escape Hybrid? Mine will start intermittently with no control on the stalk (turn signal stalk). It's like it is possessed. I will shut the car off, go back & open/close the rear hatch and it stays off. Next time I start up, it's back happily wiping the rear glass with no input from me (the driver) ...STRANGE! Wondering if there's a short somewhere.
  • Anyone expreience thier A/C shutting off (blower just quits!) while driving? It's happened several times over the past four years in our 2008 Escape Hybrid. I pull over, turn the engine off, restart, and viola! The blower A/C comes right back on. I swear, this car seems possessed at times. Anyone else experience this? Suggestions?
  • I have a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid that has had the blend door, battery fans, MECS pump and transmission changed. Everything seems to be working fine except the cruise control and the power outlet. The green led blinks from time to time. Sometimes, it could be several times a day and other days maybe once or twice. The one thing I can tell you is if I start the car with a solid light, the light will stay solid the whole time the car is running, conversely, if the car starts and the light is blinking, it will stay like that till you shut off the car. Ford says there are no diagnostic trouble codes and they already have replaced the outlet. I brought it in with the light blinking and that is when they told me the socket is no good, but I think they do not have a clue what the matter is. The dealer called the Ford hotline, and they told them there are two tests to perform which my car passed. Any suggestions? I have brought the car back 5 times. Thanks, Marc
  • "Wrench Light" diagnosed by Ford. Cooling Fans for the '06 FEH high voltage battery (HVB) needs replacement according to a "Technical Bulletin." (There is no apparent problem other than the light itself), and it's not covered by Ford's extended warranty, :cry: I believe the cooling fans are part of the "HVB system," which is warranted for 10 years. Are the cooling fans covered by the original 10 yr HVB warranty or not?
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    ""Wrench Light" diagnosed by Ford. Cooling Fans for the '06 FEH high voltage battery (HVB) needs replacement according to a "Technical Bulletin." (There is no apparent problem other than the light itself), and it's not covered by Ford's extended warranty, I believe the cooling fans are part of the "HVB system," which is warranted for 10 years. Are the cooling fans covered by the original 10 yr HVB warranty or not? "

The Ford dealer needs to put in the warranty request for the entire battery pack, which includes the fan. The fan is not supposed to be replaced by itself. If the dealer requests the warranty this way, it will be covered. If they just put in the fan stock number, the warranty coverage will be rejected. Many owners have had their similar problem fixed under the 10 year warranty.
  • mingo1mingo1 Posts: 5
    I have 64K on my 08 FEH (just had a 60K service). It has been getting the wrench light, which cannot be diagnosed unless you bring to a dealer when the light is on, intermittently for about a year. There are no problems when the light is on and it does not appear after a cold start. Well, a week ago I was driving home when the "Master vehicle electrical hazard
    warning lamp" came on along with a text message said to stop the immediately, which I did. I turned the engine off and restarted it. The warning was gone, so I resumed my trip home. The warning came on 2 more times in the 4 mi trip home. The error was reset when the engine was restarted. This is a scary warning! I researched this error on the internet and it appears there are many type of failures that can cause it (read: hard to fix). My research indicated this error strikes vehicles with 50K+ miles across all model years. I traded it in the next day. I don't want to deal with an intermittent catastrophic failure. I am normally 50-100 mi from home on the weekends in rural areas where there is little or no cell service. I lost my taste for hybrids.

:sick:
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I hope you got good value for your trade in! Is your dealer very familiar with hybrids? I think that makes all the difference when dealing with this sort of thing. It may well have been the electronics pump in the front, that seems to be the most common. The intermittent light often means the blend door actuator is having problems, but the dealer has to perform special computer analysis to find this error.

Good luck with your new ride! What did you get to replace your FEH?
  • mingo1mingo1 Posts: 5
    Hi,

I like the Escape, so I bought a 2012 v6 Escape. It gets significantly poorer MPGs, but I really like the extra power of the v6. It is a real highway cruiser.

Regards
    "I like the Escape, so I bought a 2012 v6 Escape. It gets significantly poorer MPGs, but I really like the extra power of the v6. It is a real highway cruiser. "

That sounds like a great car for you. You might want to check in on the Escape forums to meet with others that have that drivetrain.
  • I don't know if this is the correct place for this question. The driver side rear widow will not go up. Any know what the problem might be.
  • mercmar8mercmar8 Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    2008 MMH 70,200 miles. Intermittently I will have no A/c. I turn it off then on again and it works fine for that trip. It now will occur but I also will have no front or rear wipers. They have replaced the Hybrid cooling pump, actuators and blend doors. But this keeps recurring. Any ideas?? At 59,000 I had the red triangle and loss of power issue. That was repaired with the cooling pump.
2»