Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Sunfire Headlights

2»

Comments

• kpaintkpaint Posts: 1
    passenger side headlight does not work on low beams. changed the bulb still does not work .high beams work but passenger side is dim
  • Every time I turn on my car and put it in drive the headlight indicator on the dash flashes about 5x and then the service light comes on. I noticed the other day my passenger side headlight was out but today there were both on but very dim. I bought a new headlight that still needs installed but I'm afraid its not the headlight but the connection. I only say this because the lights on my shifter (R,N,D,2,1) and dash are starting to short out. Has anybody had the same problem? Also how much do you think it would be to take it to a shop?
  • I have had my 2000 Sunfire GT for about 8 years now and have had the lights issues since about after the first year........after the forth time taking to GM I found mechanic that knew what issue really was.........the routing of the wiring harness is a design flaw........the wires are routed behind the washer fluid jug so when you overspill it drips onto wiring harness causing it to short out and also travels across car behind rad so rubs against rad and frays wires...........had current mechanic reroute the whole harness and had no issues........it used to also blow my revese & fog lamps.........and it does burn out the switch in the steering column every freaking time!!!!!!!!!!! contacted GM to advise and they were nasty about it
    this way I can tell those who have one this is issue and stop paying big coin to dealership for their mess up to begin with.............btw easy fix........get crimping hose and wrap wiring with it and the chances of reoccuring are gone
  • I know this is an old topic, but I had this same issue with my 2002 Sunfire, and it turned out to the the Turn/Hazard/Headlamp switch assembly on the steering column. I replaced that and it solved the problem.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 978
    Thanks, sinclake01 - even though it's been awhile someone's likely to need this information. :)

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• aldersonalderson Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I have had this issue three times and "fixed" ($200) each time...Now has happened again. Headlights work fine as do running lights, but when I switch on the high beams, headlights go out (as do the small round fog(?) lights below the main headlight).
    The fix has previously been a wiring problem, though my mechanic did not tell me where the shorts (or loose ground) were found, other than they think it was near the battery.

Any ideas where specifically I should look, and what to look for?

Thanks!
  • I replaced the combination unit-turn signal,high beam/low beam,cruise control,hazard-yet the problem persists. Therefore, I am led to investigate the wiring array.
2»