Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Engine Problems

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,723
    It's normally an out of balance or defective tire. Have the tires checked and rebalanced (or replaced it they're worn). If that's not it then the driveshaft would be the next logical culprit.
  • I am looking for the location where the eec relay switch is located and I cannot find it. Anyone out there know where.
  • pilk1pilk1 Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone knows why my mustang is not running smooth. a mechanic told me that my intake manifold gasket is leaking coolant into one of my cylinders causing it to run a little rough. He told me that this is a big problem with mustangs with over 100k miles on them is this true??
  • you have wrong starter. ford part#doaf 11131-c should be on nose if you need i can get you napa part#
  • waterdrwaterdr Posts: 307
    Your mechanic does not know what he is talking about. 1999-2004 Mustangs are not notorious for leaking coolant. 1996 - 1998 Mustangs are. That does not mean that you don't have this problem, just that I would not jump to a conclusion like this w/o evidence on a 2002.

So, what evidence is there of a leak?
  • rbright13rbright13 Posts: 10
    Well , first off, water doesn't go through your intake man. , only air , and vacuum. Now your head gasket does , and no it does not mean that it needs to be replaced . Is there white smoke , coming from the tail pipe ? Open your radiator cap , does it have oil on the bottom of it , like milky look ? leave the cap off and rev the motor , does it shoot up and out of the radiator ? Pull out the dip-stick , is it milky ? If you have any of these signs , than you have a head gasket problem.
    I got a 1999 , first year of this body style with 107,000 and dont have a problem. But has it ever been over heated?
    Well , first off, water doesn't go through your intake man

That's what I thought but apparently it does. Do a google search.
    the only thing that is part of the man. is the front piece that crosses from one side of the motor to the other . but it doesnt have anything to do with the main gasket for the air intake. its just a cross over pieace that you see made of aluminum
    I agree that it's not the intake manifold gasket per se, but you said that coolant doesn't flow through the intake manifold and that's not true - it does and it can leak coolant. Whether it can leak into the intake and get into the cylinder is another story. I think it's much more likely that it's a head gasket.
  • bandit10bandit10 Posts: 27
    You might want to bring it to AutoZone. I found them very helpfull with sensors and other electrical problems. And they can order more parts than you might think. Plus they don't charge to take a look.
    Well I can tell you this , a friend of mine had 1 that had 386,00 miles on it before the head gasket blow . I told her it would be worth it to replace the head gasket with that many miles on it . She had the car since it was new ,and never had to replace it . I told her to buy a used motor and ill put it in. She did , and has been driving on that motor fore over 2 years and still doesnt have any major problems with it. Im not really a ford person , even though I got a 1999 mustang gt , but the 6 cycle motors are built very good . I would say if the car is in very good shape, doesnt smoke at all , and good price I would jump on it!! :)
  • amberaambera Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Mustang which runned perfect until it got ran over a hill. The car sit on it's side for approximately 14 hours before towing. Since then, it misses bad and hesitates when accelerating. I changed the spark plugs which helped for about a day, then it started right back. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem?
  • my problem is only half the fuse box works. already replaced most of the fuseable links. what else could be wrong?
  • is powertrain Control module located at ? a dianostics was done and came up with the #2 coil not recieving current for the #2 & #3 plugs , the Auto shop is charging an arm and a leg for the part and labor ! So, can anyone point me to the right site that can show me where it's at and can find one at a resonable Price with the proper way of installing it /. Thanks ! it's for My Sons car , John in Houston TX
  • djcrash31djcrash31 Posts: 1
    My brother had this problem and i was the Fuel Pump that was bad. He's no mechanic so I'm thinking it was an internal (in the tank) filter to the pump that had gotten clogged.....but I also experienced this with my girlfriends Saturn. It kept stalling on my when I was idling but no other time. I changed the fuel pressure regulator, which I could tell it was totally messed up, but then I had to go back and change spark plugs because the old regulator was allowing to much fuel and fuel-fouled my plugs. Works great now!
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Posts: 317
    Now that my warranty is almost up, would have traded in my perfectly cherry 05 GT Premium (16k miles) for an 08, if the dealer hadn't low balled trade-in value $5,000 below Blue Book. Ford is closing plants and this moron won't deal? Screw it: Instead, got Ford Extended Service Plan for another 2 years. Will wait for the 09 or 10 Mustang, for expected redesign/upgrades (500 HP rumored). :shades:
    Blue Book means nothing - it depends on what the dealer thinks he can get for the vehicle at that particular time in that particular market. Maybe the used car market is already saturated with mustangs. Why didn't you get a quote from another dealer for comparison? If all the dealers were quoting $5K under blue book then blue book is simply wrong. If other dealers offered you blue book with the same vehicle price then yes, perhaps that dealer was taking you for a ride. But I imagine the market for V8 mustangs is a lot smaller than it was a year ago.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Posts: 317
    Checked local car ads and ebay. Dealer offered around $9,000 below open market value. Differences between '05 and '08 models are minimal, certainly not worth, to me, $15,000-$18,000. I was willing to chip in a max of $10,000 for a new model. :shades:
    So sell it yourself if they're going for so much more in the open market.
  • belvettebelvette Posts: 13
    The air conditioner on my 2003 GT is barely blowing cold air. At idle the ac compressor clutch seems to continually cycle in & out. The engine rpm's increase & decrease as this is happening. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Any ideas on how to correct the problem.
    Thanks in advance
    Sounds like it's low on refrigerant.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    some of the o-rings are in hard to get to places.

Mark
  • clgcoach6clgcoach6 Posts: 1
    Ok I have a 2000 ford mustang 3.8L, and for about 3 days now my car has been making a horrible noise like a belt squealing. so i did the WD40 thing, belt dressing, soap thing, even changed my water pump, and the idler pully, the only other noise could be the alternator, or the tensioner pulley right. now that i have changed all of the other stuff, it still makes the noise, just not as bad. i'm lost and need some help. so for those of you that can lend a hand. help me please..... :cry:
  • wyldpnywyldpny Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. Yesterday while driving on the highway, the dash of my 07 Mustang lit up and I started loosing speed. As I tried to steer to the shoulder, I lost my power steering. After re starting the car I was able to get home, but the CEL remained lit. Had my mechanic look at it and was told the computer system is "kablueie" (His term not mine), should be covered under the warranty. Called the dealership and they can't look at it until next Monday. Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem could be and how serious? Thanks
  • As one of the guys already said, the noise of this may come from lifters but don't confuse this with valve raddle from low grade gas. try 91 verses 87 octane and make sure that your timing is where it should be 10 to 15 BTDC. 10 is factory.
  • It will be covered under your warranty and yes sounds like a computer problem
  • First of all water does run through a factory intake but not after markets ones in most cases
  • The bendex is sticking and it now time for a rebuild or a new starter, check the teeth to see if they have been damaged.
  • I got my 83 GT in 1983 drove it for 11 years and the only time I has that problem was when the thermastat was bad and cause me to blow a head gasket. It can also cause you to blow the header core. does your 83 have a brown left side marker and dual exhaust.
  • Its not normal, Ford has a TSB out on the lash adjusters, but wont warrant the work if you are out of 36K limit! Very expensive repair, its their design problem because they corrected it, supposedly, after about March 2008. You think they would own up to their mistakes! This damages rockers and cam if left unfixed. :(