Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Engine Problems

Comments

• anyone with problem of engines blowing, driving on hiway notices over heating pulled over riht away got towed to machanics , checked it out wouldnt hold any pressurer, says anti freeze blew threw the engine need new engine what would chase this problem had everything done all the time oil changes ect, ect, anyone no thanks
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,720
    Sounds like it overheated and blew the head gasket and/or warped the head. Either way that shouldn't require a new engine. What caused it to overheat?
  • dont know mechanic did compression test on#1 cylinder & #4 it was reading 81 psi he said there was know point in doing ant more on it- engine toast, do you think i should go ahead and see whats wrong thanks Stan
    If he said the engine was toast just because of a blown head gasket (which caused the compression leak) then get another mechanic because he's an idiot. You just need new head gaskets and to check the head to make sure it isn't warped or cracked. Not cheap but nowhere near a new engine.

First you need to fix whatever caused it to overheat or it will happen again.
  • thanks alot kirby for all your help you dont know how much better i feel now noing itcould just be gaskets.what do you think caused it ? thanks stan
    The blown head gaskets were caused by the overheating. As to what caused the overheating - could be a lot of things. Stuck thermostat (new ones are designed to fail in the open position but it could have stuck closed), coolant leak, busted hose, water pump, etc. That's easy enough to fix after you get the engine fixed - just make sure it's fixed and keep a close eye on the temp gauge for a few days to make sure. If it starts to overheat, stop it immediately and never put cold water in a hot engine if you can avoid it - let it cool down as much as possible to avoid warping the heads.
  • forgot to tell you they tried to build up air pressurethrough the rad it would not build up you could here air leaks on the drivers side of the engine
  • As has been said in other replies sounds like a head gasket or a freeze plug and no there would not be pressure builded up. Fine out why the overhead have the head decked put the engine back together and don't let some one sale you a engine unless they can show you why (the broken parts). do you have allum heads? was he testing your engine or radiator sounds like someone looking to get paid.
    That could just be from the blown head gasket. The head gasket is what separates the coolant from the moving parts of the engine. When it blows it allows coolant and air to pass back and forth. The air you hear is probably coming out of open valves into the intake manifold or out the spark plug hole if those were removed. Just have them check it when they take the heads off to make sure the block and heads are ok and not cracked or leaking.
  • Hope someone can help me. My Mustang has just started making a sort of high pitched whistle noise from, I believe, the front of the engine. Perhaps from one of the wheels connected by the serpentine accessories belt. It increases in intensity when I rev the engine and seems to lessen when the engine is fully warmed up. I have 28,000 miles in the car and I intend to change the belt, but I just don't think that is the problem. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas? Cheers.
  • check the computer to make sure it is grounded the kick panel . There is a plastic bracket that holds it into place, behind the computer is a spring that keeps it grounded . sometimes it will not ground .I had some of the same problems I made my own ground wire from the computer to the body of the car and never had another problem since
  • sounds like a crank position sensor
  • I bought a 2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L v6 about 2 years ago and the car has had this ticking noise in the engine ever since I have bought it.

When I start my car the ticking starts high, then dyes down a little, then gets the loudest, then gets low and goes away after 3 minutes of starting. When my car makes the ticking noise I have noticed my rpm gauge jump between 1000 to 2000 and the loudest ticking makes the rpm go higher... Dont no if this has anything to do with the ticking but when I turn my car off i hear this noise that sounds like dropping drops of water on a hot surface. I looked up under my car and noticed water dripping from ( Im guessing its called the resonator) If I even spelled that right; anyways its the part that connects the muffler. Also noticed I have a very light cloud of white smoke but its rather unoticable unless you look at the tail pipe.

Please help me! Im a rather clueless female and I no nothing about vehicles.. So if you respond can you please explain in detail what I need to do... Thanks
  • motor knocks high oil pressure shuts off 1990 4 cyl mustang auto please help
  • I have a 2000 Mustang V6 and the engine started acting up. I was driving down the road and I hear like a snapping sound similar to what is sounds like if you run over some little twigs in the road, then I noticed my car was shaking and did it worse when I was stopped. Kinda like when your almost outta gas and your car start shaking and stalls....thats what mine does but it doesn't stall it acts like it almost does. The check engine light is not on and i replaced the spark plugs. what could be the problem???
  • It is possible that a wheel is out of balance, it is also possible that you need an allignment.
  • If you're burning coolant there should also be smoke in your exhaust. White smoke I think.
  • hhds113hhds113 Posts: 2
    Warning : 1999-2004 4.6 liter engines have been known to have the spark pug blow out of the cylinder head . Its happened to me and alot of other people . Ford didn't put enough treads in the cylinder which is aluminum and they will blow out. Now its going to cost me about 2,000.00 - 3,000.00 dollars to have the engine tore down and replace the heads or have inserts put in . Not a happy camper when I only have 30,000 miles on my 1999 mustang GT Convert. show car. ** Buyer Beware**
  • papasam1papasam1 Posts: 84
    There are companies that will come out and it without a taking the engine down. lady that comes into the hobbyshop had hers done in about two hours.
  • Here a youtube video of a woman having a difficult time getting her Mustang started. The first crank lasted rougly 11.5 seconds. The second crank went 13.5 seconds. The third at 21 seconds and the forth crank ran for a total of 23.5 seconds. Here's a link of the video below.

Here's link to the clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0i3pwJRDYI

Is it possible that if someone crank the car (or any car in general) that long that could it lead to the car/engine catching on fire as someone mentioned as an reply to this topic?

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/821649-woman-having-hard-time-starting-he- r-mustang.html. Post number 16.
    Without knowing the history of the car its hard to tell just what is wrong but heres are a few things that could cause this. The computer gone bad, The EGR value gone, the run fuse blown, coil bad, The ECM modular bad, timing belt broke/jump timing, cats gone bad and clogged
    Could very well be a broken timing belt/may have jumped time. how many miles does the car have. A timing belt could be changed about every 80K miles and change will last alot longer. Have your timing checked.
    Need to know more about the problem
    You are aware that in these year starters that there are two types, One for the auto tranny short nose and the long nose for the manual tranny. Is the spacer plate in between the motor the and tranny.
    To change the head gasket is the best way to go, but both gaskets not just one. the other one is the same age as the blown one. need to know what part of the country you are in ( not your address) just the part of the country.
  • hhds113hhds113 Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    JUST HAD MY 4.6 MUSTANG HEADS REDONE WITH INSERTS IN ALL THE SPARK PLUG HOLES PUT A NEW VALVE IN THE CYLINDER THAT HAD THE BLOW OUT -NEW LIFTERS AND ALL THE REST AND IM STILL GETTING A TAPPING NOISE FROM THAT CYLINDER ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
  • lasamitchelllasamitchell Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I am having issues with my 2000 Mustang. It will start and idle just fine. Will also run fine when you rev it up but if i try to slowly press the gas, in gear and nuetral it will act as if it is going to stall. Any ideas on where I should start??
  • trench12trench12 Posts: 5
    2011 V6 coupe,6sp manual, 3.31 gear. 3500 mi. on car, 1000 miles on replaced engine. I am somewhat disappointed in the mileage on this car. I have the perfect test track at my disposal, I-80 in eastern Iowa. Cruise on, apx. 60 mph I agree the car will achieve the claimed 30 mpg. Shortly after hitting the secondary roads and driving as conservatively as possible I watch the mpg's take a drastic plunge down to apx, 19 (as rated). There is no in between. Any stop-go, shifting or anything but 6th gear uninterrupted cruising results in terrible results. Is this the norm? It would be impossible to drive anymore conservatively than I do. Thanx for any input. :confuse:
  • I have a 94 mustang with a 3.8. It has been knocking and bucking. Changed the plugs and replaced wires. Checked Ignition control module and changed out the coil pack. When I get it running it smells like pure gas is coming out of the exhaust and really thick blue smoke. The oil on the dip stick smells like gas. Any suggestions?
    Sounds like It may have jumped time and fouled number three plug, how many miles on it over 100,000 miles check the timing.