Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Tire/Wheel Questions

13»

Comments

• Options
    kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    What size rims can be used on a 2012 Impreza. I know they are 5 X 100 patterns with an offset of 48? If I buy used Impreza rims or WRX, which years will fit?
  • Options
    angitheriasangitherias Member Posts: 34
    I found a good link about subaru wheels: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239019

Usually the wheels size, width and offset is printed someplace on the inside of the wheel, behind the spokes for example. So that would be a good place to look.
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    There's more to rim fitment than just the dimensions. The wheel has to clear the brake parts - so that means you just can't just look at the dimensions.
  • Options
    kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    That's why I was sticking with impreza and wrx rims only. Looking at the link above, looks like many of the oem rims would fit. If someone knew which rims will ft without a problem, I can start searching for a second pair. :)
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    The only ones that will not fit are STi rims. Otherwise, 16" or greater Subaru rims with a 5x100 bolt pattern will fit it. I recommend that when you find a set, you test-mount one on the front of the car just to ensure it will meet your need.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Test mount without the tire, unless your upsizing and looking to see if the tire clears components.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Member Posts: 18
    A few times a year, I take my Impreza on trips that involve a lot of dirt roads, including some that are pretty rough, basically mild 4WD roads.

I ought to own a Forester or an Outback for trips like this, but I don't. Can I "Foresterize" my Impreza for such trips by putting on oversized, higher-profile tires? If so, how much bigger? The OEM height profile is 55. Could I run a 65 or 70?

If this is possible, I'll just keep on hand a spare set of tires and rims and put them on for my trips to the back country.

Thanks for any insights.

http://www.pbase.com/lookoutranch/image/135723442.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lookoutranch/image/135724108.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lookoutranch/image/135723270.jpg
  • Options
    You might consider a mix of smaller rims with slightly higher profile. I am not sure if the 2007 would still take a 15" rim, but you might check on that. If so, you could go with a stock '96-'99 Outback wheel (205/70R15), and that might be just about perfect at the same width with maximum sidewall and a 0.7" increase in radius (if you have the clearance!).

Assuming the 15" will not fit, your model looks to have 16" rims on it with the 205/55 tires. You would need to measure the clearance, both in the wheel well and between the tire and strut, to actually determine what will fit. Just increasing the sidewall height will give you a little more flexibility than if you were wanting to go wider as well because you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing when you turn. At a 205mm width, moving to a 60% ratio will increase your radius by .4", while a 65% ratio will increase your radius 0.8".

While that radius increase won't give you much additional ground clearance, I imagine it will help when you're dragging belly through that mud or crossing that creek!

In addition, those ratios will also knock your speedometer/odometer off by 3% and 6%, respectively. So, while running them, if your car is traveling at 60 mph, the speedometer will read ~58 mph and ~56 mph (respectively).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    fandangofandango Member Posts: 18
    Thanks!

Yes, I would want to keep the 205 width and just get a higher profile sidewall. It looks like a 65 is about the most that would fit, and it would give me about an inch more height, which would nice out there in the dirt.

It won't help much with the biggest problem, though, which is the angle of attack. That low front end really sticks out there.

Gotta get me a Forester. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    That low front end really sticks out there.

That it does. I had the same problem with my Outback ('96) when I took it off road. My Forester, a 2010, has nice angles on it. It sure could use a rear LSD though. The VDC does nothing for you in those situations, so you're basically stuck with open differentials. :cry:
  • Options
    205/65r16 is 26.5"
    205/70r15 is 26.4" overall diameter.

Ever consider a skidplate? :shades:
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited October 2016
    Hey out there! Haven't posted in a while, my Soob is still running strong - 110K miles, yay! - but my low-tire-pressure light has started blinking intermittently for the second time...last time I needed a wheel sensor to the tune of $300, and I am sure this will be the same thing again. I am loath to repair it, as I would have paid to delete this system if I could have when I bought the car. And I suppose that if I repair it then it will just happen again - there are four wheels after all! :'(
    Mine is an '09 OBS, one of the last Outback Sports they made before they went all Crosstrek and stuff. ;)
    Anyone else out there having this problem with their Impreza?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)