Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Transmission Problems

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    The hesitation is probably due to sticky hydraulics, bad seals, or low fluid. My guess is one of the first two. If it is sticky hydraulics, it may be possible to clear up the problem by having the transmission flushed with a solvent. If it is bad seals, then a transmission rebuild/replacement is in the future. Low fluid is an easy enough one to rule out.... just check the fluid level.

Seems as though other users have posted about a similar problem with their cars; typically '99s for some reason, if I recall correctly.

How many miles on the car?
  • It has 130,000 miles on it. The fluid level is fine, I was hoping it was an easy fix. Confused why it only happens in drive....reverse no hesitation.
    I *think* the forward/reverse gears use a different fluid channel, but it has been quite a while since I looked at a diagram of these things and I have never taken one apart. From what others have said with similar symptoms, reverse is not typically the problem - only trying to go forward.

You might consider looking at cost of a rebuild/replacement transmission to determine if you want to proceed with this car. A solvent flush is, I would guess, about a $300-500 job. If it does not clear up your problem, then there is only the expensive option left. :(

Search the forum for this problem. I am not sure where you will find other discussions on this, but I would shoot for the "problems and solutions" threads for the various Subaru models (especially Legacy/Outback) as they all used to be lumped in those single threads.
  • 30,000 mile maintenance had the gear oil changed.

so a transmission problem then? this bothers me quite a bit as it's a 2006, and definately not my first manual transmission.

i'm at 34,700 miles so i've only 1300 left on my warranty if it is a trans issue, and if they don't try to tell me it wont be covered.

at any rate, car goes into the shop tomorrow.
    Keep us posted. I would rather not speculate any further without additional information.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Warranty is 50,000 miles on the drivetrain, and a MT trans is covered under that :)

-mike
  • bjordan2bjordan2 Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 subaru impreza 5speed. Just yesterday I can't shift into 5th or reverse. Any ideas of what to look for?
  • nbrokmannbrokman Posts: 1
    I recently took my 1997 outback that has 130,000 miles on it to get new tires. After the work had been done and the car lowered the tire guy couldnt get the car out of park. Their claim is that it is an electrical isse with a short not allowing it to shift gears. I think they snagged the transmission line under the car when they lifted it. If anyone can help me find a diagnosis to this issue I would be very happy.
    :confuse:
  • dobber3dobber3 Posts: 3
    I just put a new JMD Trans and Motor in my 98 impreza 2.5 rs auto. we took it out for a drive and got on here and she will act like she is draging the rear end it torqs the front end all over the place does a jdm trans have a different front end ratio in it the the us model
    Yes. First you are going from AT to MT which have completely different gears. Second you are going from an NA to a Turbo trans which also has a different ratio. You would need the rear diffy that came with the JDM trans in order to get it to work. At the very least you'd need a trans that matches the gear ratio which is different.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • dobber3dobber3 Posts: 3
    hay thanks, do u know were i can track down a rear end that went with this trans any web sites or any place to call would be cool thanks
    You might start with the place that sold you the trans.

-mike
  • lorettsloretts Posts: 13
    Hi,
    I have 1996 Impreza 150,000 miles, AWD. 2.5.
    Lately the automatic gear shifter will not click right away out of park.
    When I grasp the gear shift and try to depress the button, it won't go and there is a clicking sound coming from near the steering column. Sometimes I can get it to move by a subtle shift in pressure on the button, and then it's fine. I have noticed that it has been happening only in the morning after the care has been sitting all night, and now in the cooler am temperatures.

Any suggestions welcomed.
    There was no 2.5 in 1996. 1997 was the first 2.5RS.

I'd start with replacing the button, seems like a bad connection inside.

-mike
  • u mite need to replace the elect shifter soleniold in the the shifter i had that same problem and i had to replace the soleniold it just became to weak to pull the pin all the way back to shift
    whoops... typo... meant 2.2
    Is that something only a mechanic can do or is it something i can do myself?
  • i had the same problem in my 1993 impreza and i now have it again in my 1999 outback. we tried to fix it in the impreza, but it kept returning. sometimes if you turn the wheel hard to one side or the other, that will losen it up, or if you pump the brake. thanks for the suggestion of checking the solenoid, i'll have to look into that. this problem is a real pain, especially if you shift into park in traffic and then find yourself stuck when it starts moving--what a nightmare!
    Not that this helps address the problem at all, but in traffic, it is probably a better idea to shift into neutral than park. If you get bumped while in park, it could be bad for your transmission.... ;)
  • I have 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback (sport) with 200,000 miles. It is a champ. The timing belt has been done twice, and it has an AUTOMATIC reman tranny (80,000 miles). The strangest thing started happening about two years ago. About once a month I would start the car, put it in drive and it would leak a little tranny fluid. At first, it was just a little bit (few drops). After a couple of these incidents I decided to have the transmission pan gasket replaced. This didn't help. So I did the transmission gasket again! No help. By now the leaking is turning into some serious stuff. The key to this is that it doesn't happen every time. It only happens when the car has been sitting for a day or two without use. I talked to a friend who said it might be an issue with a breather hose??? He said that the fluid flows in and out of the torque converter from the tranny and if the breather isn't working right the fluid can gush out if you put the car into gear before the fluid is finished moving. Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Sometimes it leaks so bad that it leaves a 50 yard stripe of fluid on the asphalt when I pull away from my house :cry: . Don't worry, I keep at least three quarts of tranny fluid on hand. I'm tired of the trouble though.