Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Transmission Problems

Comments

• dobber3dobber3 Posts: 3
    hay thanks, do u know were i can track down a rear end that went with this trans any web sites or any place to call would be cool thanks
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You might start with the place that sold you the trans.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • lorettsloretts Posts: 13
    Hi,
    I have 1996 Impreza 150,000 miles, AWD. 2.5.
    Lately the automatic gear shifter will not click right away out of park.
    When I grasp the gear shift and try to depress the button, it won't go and there is a clicking sound coming from near the steering column. Sometimes I can get it to move by a subtle shift in pressure on the button, and then it's fine. I have noticed that it has been happening only in the morning after the care has been sitting all night, and now in the cooler am temperatures.

Any suggestions welcomed.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    There was no 2.5 in 1996. 1997 was the first 2.5RS.

I'd start with replacing the button, seems like a bad connection inside.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • u mite need to replace the elect shifter soleniold in the the shifter i had that same problem and i had to replace the soleniold it just became to weak to pull the pin all the way back to shift
    whoops... typo... meant 2.2
    Is that something only a mechanic can do or is it something i can do myself?
  • i had the same problem in my 1993 impreza and i now have it again in my 1999 outback. we tried to fix it in the impreza, but it kept returning. sometimes if you turn the wheel hard to one side or the other, that will losen it up, or if you pump the brake. thanks for the suggestion of checking the solenoid, i'll have to look into that. this problem is a real pain, especially if you shift into park in traffic and then find yourself stuck when it starts moving--what a nightmare!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,445
    Not that this helps address the problem at all, but in traffic, it is probably a better idea to shift into neutral than park. If you get bumped while in park, it could be bad for your transmission.... ;)
  • I have 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback (sport) with 200,000 miles. It is a champ. The timing belt has been done twice, and it has an AUTOMATIC reman tranny (80,000 miles). The strangest thing started happening about two years ago. About once a month I would start the car, put it in drive and it would leak a little tranny fluid. At first, it was just a little bit (few drops). After a couple of these incidents I decided to have the transmission pan gasket replaced. This didn't help. So I did the transmission gasket again! No help. By now the leaking is turning into some serious stuff. The key to this is that it doesn't happen every time. It only happens when the car has been sitting for a day or two without use. I talked to a friend who said it might be an issue with a breather hose??? He said that the fluid flows in and out of the torque converter from the tranny and if the breather isn't working right the fluid can gush out if you put the car into gear before the fluid is finished moving. Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Sometimes it leaks so bad that it leaves a 50 yard stripe of fluid on the asphalt when I pull away from my house :cry: . Don't worry, I keep at least three quarts of tranny fluid on hand. I'm tired of the trouble though.
  • penth2openth2o Posts: 2
    Hi, My name is Joel from up north Michigan.
    I have a problem that I hope you guru's can help me out on.
    I have a 2000 stock impreza rs automatic 52K.

I was told my brake lights were out by a cop a week ago.
    I came home last night and and put it in park. let the foot off the brake and it starting rolling in reverse. It was in reverse (even though the shift lever was in park). I could gas it and go in reverse. I turned the key off but it would not turn all the way off as it was in gear. The lever was in park.

Played with the shift lever now it locks in park and can only be unlocked manually. If I push the button on the shift lever I can hear a click for every time I push the button. It comes from a realy or switch on the left side of the steering column by the turn signal lever.

Play some more and the car started up, put it in gear and she rolls in every gear including reverse and park. Play more and it goes to park and won't unlock. you have to manually unlock the shift lever. Once unlocked it still wont start as it thinks it is in gear. The more I mess with it it seems I get a different sympton.

As of now I have the steering column and shift consule exposed. I will include a pic of the switch that I can feel clicking every time I push the shift button. It is the one with the red and black wires going to it.

also with the key out I can hear and feel the intergrated module clicking on and off. the little light that is under the automatic shift lever cover that shows which gear you are in blinks in harmony with the clicking of the intergrated module.

As it sits now it won't go out of park and it won't start and all of the above mentioned.

Is there anyone that knows about this or what the problem may be. I replaced the stop switch as this is what happened to another car of mine but it did not help this on. Please help. This occurred Jul of 08 and I threw it in the corner of my garage and forgot about it till now.

Thank you for all your help in advance. Sorry I had to be introduced this way but I'm in a bind as I cant tow it or drag it on a flatbed as it is in gear. Thanks again.

Joel penth2o_1@charter.net
  • tufflucktuffluck Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Impreza AWD that keeps to much pressure or gets to hot one and blows the seal out every time I have replaced the seal now for the 3rd time and befor I put it back into car is there anyone that can tell me why it keeps blowing the seal ?????
  • Over the weekend, I stopped my '05 impreza outback at a rest area and when I went to start the car to leave, it wouldn't start. Tried jumping the battery, although I couldn't imagine how it would have died in under 5 minutes. That didn't help. Was advised to try to start in neutral - that worked. I think I tried one more time in park...didn't work. Again in neutral, it worked. Then as soon as I decided to take it back to the dealership and demand a repair...it worked in park, and has the 6 or so starts I've made since. I have had the car less than 2 weeks. Bought it pre-owned, and out of town. I don't know how to replicate the problem at the dealership - but that should be a problem covered under lemon laws, etc, correct? But if I can't make it happen on command...

advice? the miles are ticking. how much would replacing a neutral safety switch, or adjusting it, on a 2005 impreza outback sport generally cost? And where is the switch actually located on that particular model??
  • lonnys1lonnys1 Posts: 3
    93 Subaru Impreza automatic transmission will not shift from 1st to 2nd when cold. Will shift fine when engine warms up. What could be causing this? Fluid level is fine and no leaks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Let's see...lemon law definitely no - that only applies to New cars and even then it's usually less than 12 months old or 12,000 miles.

I would go back to the dealer that sold it to you, or take it to an indy mechanic you trust. The 2010s are out so that car is well past the warranty. Some used cars come with a 30 day warranty from the dealer that sold it, though, if that's the case.
  • I have a 2002 Impresa WRX auto (75,000 miles) with a probable transmission problem. Check engine light on and hesitation between second and third gear. Anyone have a similar experience or know whether there is any likelihood of not needing to replace the transmission?

I have regularly served the car and the mechanic that looked at the car so far said the transmission fluid didn't look too bad. That mechanic was not comfortable with the car and suggested taking it to a dealer for a diagnostic. I will be doing that unless I can locate a recommended local mechanic before then - Cleveland / Akron area.

Thanks.
    What were the codes stored in the system? Did the mechanic hook it up to a reader?
  • I called the mechanic who didn't write down the code, but told me that it was a "Second gear incorrect ratio"

Looking online, I found out that this is probably a ECU P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio

Calling the mechanic I usually use in Brooklyn know who's Subaru, he thought it was just a speed senor. Mechanic in Ohio wanted to replace the transmission based on the same info.
  • Have fierce clutch judder when starting from standing start but overcome it by high revs.and clutch slipping is this normal
    I've heard it could be surface rust and a good reverse burn out will wear right through it.

Try this at your own risk, but it sounds fun. :D

If you wanted to replace the clutch anyway, you have little to lose.
  • I have a 95 Subaru Impreza L 2.2 automatic and i need to change my rear output shaft seal and ive looked everywhere online for the steps i need to do this and i have not found anything. ive even been in all my local auto parts stores and cant even find a repair manual. i have full access to a shop therefore im doing this myself along with the help of my buddy. can anyone please give me the steps or give me a link to steps i need to fix this i really love this car and i need it so please i need help
  • ccouplesccouples Posts: 1
    (133,000 miles)

At between 2600 and 3000 rpms, highway speed, moderate to long (although not necessarily steep) grades, it feels like the transmission is shuddering -- most of the time, I can goose and then back off the throttle, and the shudder goes away. I've seen lots of posts about this kind of symptom online, but not any really good suggestions of remedies.

Has anyone seen this before -- if so what was the solution? This is likely to be the deciding factor between keeping and junking it.

Thanks!
  • clpriceclprice Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Impreza L with awd auto trans. It is blowing transmission fluid through the final drive dipstick filler hole. Has any one else had this problem. Which seal is blown and how do I repair it.
  • wrcsube13wrcsube13 Posts: 1
    Hey I have a 96 2.2 l impreza 96k miles problem is a slight delay and hard shift between 1 and 2 also shifts a little ruff 2 to 3 any ideas what the problem could be thanks john
  • cerraicerrai Posts: 2
    Hello all...hopefully you can help.

I have an automatic 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon.

I was driving home tonight - stopped on the way to run errands - and when I got home, my car wouldn't shift into "park". I tried shifting from drive to reverse, back to drive, back to reverse, and then park, but it still wouldn't budge. I also tried to shift it past drive 3, but it wouldn't go past that either. I finally shifted into neutral and pulled on the e-brake, and turned the engine all the way off. However, since the car was not in park, I could not pull out the key. Also, any attempts to fully restart the engine failed because the car was not in park. So basically, I'm unable to lock my car, and I can't take it anywhere short of towing it.

My boyfriend says he thinks it's a transmission problem because that's where the shifting happens....which is retarded because it's only four years old and has roughly 40,000 miles on it.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    :cry: :confuse:
    The car should be able to start in neutral or park. The fact that it does not leads me to believe that there may be a problem with the shift interlock rather than the transmission itself; perhaps a connector came loose or unplugged?
  • cerraicerrai Posts: 2
    xwesx:

Thanks for the info. I tried starting it in neutral, and that worked, so I took it to my mechanic. When I first started it up, the engine was making a horrible noise, but by the time I got there, the problem seemed to have fixed itself...I was able to park it and the engine was all but silent while running.

The mechanic looked at it and could find nothing wrong with it except for evidence of mice or other small rodents that might have gotten up into the engine (or transmission...I don't remember which) and nibbled a bit on the insulation for the electrical wires. He recommended putting in an additive that cleans the dirt out of the fuel injectors and carbs, but other than that my car has a clean bill of health.

I think maybe a piece of ice or large rock/dirt clod or something got stuck in the cable and driving around broke it free. I guess that's what I get for living in high altitudes on dirt roads... lol

In any case, everything is fine now. Thanks for the tip though! :shades:
    I had rodents chew the wiring harness on my Sienna to the tune of $700!

For me they were chpi munks.

AAAAAAAAAAAAALVIN! :mad: