Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Brake Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
Discuss Impreza brake problems here.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• I have a 02 WRX wagon and there is a mystery sound that happens intermitantly when the breaks are applied. This has been going on for 1 1/2 years and i have taken it in at least 6 times and have driven it 4 times with a mechanic in the car...and NOTHING! They say everything looks fine and they cant hear anything. It's there right now and again they can't find anything and again they want me to go and drive it. i'm freaking out.
    THE SOUND!! It comes from the front right side (i think) and sounds like a CLUNK! as if something has slipped out or into slipping into place and its loud. HELP! My boyfriend says it sounds like when those four wheel drive manual locking hubs click into place...but louder! Do you have any idea what this could be..????????????
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    Does it happen once or everytime you apply the brakes?
    Sometimes when you apply the brakes when going backwards the pads shift, then the first time you apply them going forwards you can hear a clunk as they shift in the other direction....my Acura has been doing this for over 40K miles.
  • its pretty random, no real pattern. sometimes it will do it twice in arrow and then it wont do it for a few hours.
    thanks
  • Hello. After driving our commuter beater for a couple weeks I got into our WRX and noticed a distinct shudder during some relatively hard braking on an exit ramp that I don't think I had ever noticed. I gave it a couple more before I got home and didn't notice it as much but at 52,000 miles I'm thinking perhaps it needs some new pads/rotors. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions...maybe I don't need them yet? I've changed pads/rotors on other cars before but I'm not sure how difficult it is on the WRX (ABS an issue?) And does anyone have any suggestions for a equal or better setup (within reason) that I might purchase than the stock OEM brakes? Thanks.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Probably just rotors, and they can cut them for you so you don't pay an arm and a leg. I assume you've replaced the pads already.
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    My wrx w/ 36K miles shudders if I have not driven it for a while. I think it is the rust. A couple hard brakes and the shudder goes away. If it is rotors, new ones don't cost all that much.
  • BY CHANCE... Anyone out there know off hand, what type of bolt head might be on the through-bolt that holds the front brake calpiers together on a late 90's Subaru Impreza or a 2005 Chevy Impala? Would it be "off base" to call the dealer service center and ask?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Are you trying to replace it with something from home depot? I wouldn't do that, go to the dealer and purchase the proper bolt.

-mike
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 PAPosts: 1,085
    I have 48,000 miles on my 2002 WRX wagon and was looking for suggestions on new pads. Should I go OEM or something else...normal brisk driver, no track.
    Serge
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    OEM are quiet, good for road use. Unless you go to the track that's what I'd stick with.

C&D tested Hawk pads and they did really well. I think it may even have been a WRX they used for the test.

-juice
    Hawk HPs are your best bet for a street pad with a bit more bite, low dust, low noise. We run Hawk HP+ for HPDEs at the track and street use, high noise, high dust. For the Legacy race car we are going with Hawk Blues in the front and blacks in the rear, which are track-only as their operating temp is higher than streetable temps.

-mike
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 PAPosts: 1,085
    I ended up getting the OEMs from 1stsubaruparts.com...good prices versus Liberty and other places...64 for fronts and 57 for rears. They should be here this week and I'll get them put on...you can feel that it needs them already...48K miles is a record for me personally for pads...must be that extra weight in my right foot!
    Hope you all had a good thanksgiving.
    Serge
  • Hi There,
    If you wish to purchase new brakes for your impreza I am selling front performance drilled discs (pair) for £100 and front high performance pads for £30.
    If you wish to purchase these let me know and I can send you a pay pal invoice and you can pay through paypal or credit card or personal cheque. My email is gbe66s@yahoo.co.uk
    Many Thanks,
    Gary
  • Hi There,
    If you wish to purchase new performance brakes for your impreza I am selling front high performance drilled discs (pair) for £100 and front high performance pads for £30.
    If you wish to purchase these let me know and I can send you a pay pal invoice and you can pay through paypal or credit card or personal cheque. My email is gbe66s@yahoo.co.uk
    Many Thanks,
    Gary
  • Hi There,
    If you wish to purchase new performance brakes for your impreza I am selling front high performance drilled discs (pair) for £100 and front high performance pads for £30.
    Many Thanks,
    Gary
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    I have the Hawk HPs pads on my WRX and they have been GREAT. Quiet, brake very well, very little brake dust. Highly recommend them. :)
    In that case, I carry all kinds of brakes and rotors :)

-mike
  • and huzzah, call me for firewood ;)

John
  • Purchased new 2008 Impreza 2.5i premium and after roughly 2 months and 1000 miles, warning lights coming on during normal driving and staying on. This is sporadic. It's been to the dealer 3 times now. They are perplexed and are working with Suburu to identify a fix. Anyone else? If not, posting this in case more show up.
  • I got my 2-008 2.5i delivered on 11-7-2007 and have encountered the identical problem. Dan Perkins Subaru in Milford, CT is aware of the problem. They asked me to come to see the service department. I am planning to visit this Monday 12-10-2007. I pull off the road and restart the car and the lights go off. Also my cruise control does not work when the lights go off. I took a picture of the problem with my cell phone because they won't believe me... I am glad I am not the only one with the same problem.

I was driving under slippery and hilly conditions when the lights went off. Not sure if the systems were working fine and only the lights were on or the systems were actually disabled. I am speaking of ABS and VDC. The car performed very well while many other cars were loosing control.

I will let you know here if Subaru will fix the problem or like in you case.. just studying it.

You can call me 203-767-0770.