Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Engine Problems

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810
Discuss Impreza engine questions here.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• cabsoobcabsoob Posts: 1
    Have a 2006 Impreza 2.5i sportswagon with about 25M km with an engine noise that sounds like a beat up lawnmower. This occurs on cold mornings when starting the car and last for quite some time. Any idea why this is occuring? Is this common for a boxer engine?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You may have a loose heatshield or something, I'd let the dealer have a look at it to be safe.

-juice
  • claudius753claudius753 Posts: 138
    Could anyone tell me what the WRX engine turns at 60 mph in top gear?

Actually, both the 2.0 from previous years and the newer 2.5 would be helpful.

Thanks
  • From what I remember, my 2004 WRX turned approx. 2400 RPM at 60 in 5th. My 2006 TR is about the same. This is based on a visual of my speedo and tachometer. Obviously, not scientific.

Specs say the 2006 2.5 has better torque, the torque comes on sooner and there is a slight bump in hp. It certainly feels that way. Drive both, then decide.
  • dop50dop50 Posts: 162
    Don't generally drive 60 mph. But in 5th gear my '02 WRX runs approx. 73-75 mph @ 3,000rpm. Give or take a tad for speedo error.

I expect 60 mph would be in neighborhood of 2500 or so.

Ken
  • claudius753claudius753 Posts: 138
    Ah, thanks. I was just curious, doing some general research. I read an Australian review that said 100km/h was at 2800, which seemed too high for relaxed driving.

About 2500 for 60, or 3000 for 73-75 is about what my current car turns, and I wouldn't want anything much higher. It seems that manual transmissions turn a lot higher in top gear than autos.
  • I dug up an old WRX brochure that had a reprint of a Car & Driver review of a 2002 WRX. Mph/1000 rpm in each gear is as follows: 1st=5.3, 2nd=9.5, 3rd=13.5, 4th=18.9, 5th=24.9
    so dop50 and I are in the ball park. This was for an American spec car. Re: the '06 Australian WRXs(100km/h =60mp), perhaps they have different gear ratios than my US model '06 TR?
  • km24km24 Posts: 36
    Hi

I have test driven some 2004 automatic trans WRX With 15-30K on the clock and although they look great the engine seem to be louder and rougher than a new one. Are these cars suppose to get smoother or rougher with age.

Khyle
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,653
    The one you tested was a 2.0. The new ones are 2.5s. Sort of comparing apples to oranges...

Bob
  • km24km24 Posts: 36
    Hi

They were all 2005 wrx's some with a few hundred miles and the others with 15-30k mile. One had been owned by a an older man who babied his car but the engine still felt rough and this car was at a subaru dealer. The one's with 15-30 does not seem like alot miles but the cars ran like an old car.

Khyle
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,653
    It's hard to say. I haven't heard of any rough older WRXs per say. Having said that, keep in mind that many of these vehicles were bought by younger guys for their high performance. So my guess is that many used WRXs out there may have lived a hard life, or at least a harder life than a non-performance Subaru.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    A turbo actually smoothes out the boxer slightly, maybe that one had a bad engine mount.

-juice
  • I replaced fuel lines on my 93 Impreza,due to rotten lines,now darn thing wont start. Had to chisel hole in floor to check lines on top of tank. Is there some kind of fuel shutoff switch,that i might have triggered on it? Chiltons book doesnt cover this problem,,
  • path4path4 Posts: 24
    Hi, Can anybody tell me what is the RPM when driving at 80mph? This is my crusing speed as I have a long commute. I just hope it is not too noisey. Thanks!
  • silversolarasilversolara Posts: 113
    i have an hour-long commute also. 5th gear and 80 mph - not too noisy by my standards, as long as the CD player is running - loose approximation is 3100 rpm. my wrx is bone-stock.

hope this helps! :)
  • I made a little RPM calculator spreadsheet in Excel a while back (I was bored and had some car mags to compare to), and after searching for the 5MT gear ratios, I came up with around 3143 RPM at 80 MPH (approx 128.7 KM/H) based on the following specs:

Wheel/Tire -> 17" Wheel with 215/45R17 Tire
    Fifth Gear -> 0.738:1
    Final Drive -> 3.9:1

But, obviously, real life doesn't necessarily reflect the calculations, so on the safe side I'd get more first-hand numbers. ;)

Edit: Wow... maybe the spreadsheet is accuate after all. :D
  • Does anyone know how to take off and reinstall a crank pulley. The new one is a lightweight crank pulley.

thanks
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    very easy. Disconnect the ignition fuse inside the fuse panel so the car won't start. Take a breaker bar and put it on the crank nut. Crank the engine in short bursts til it pops. Remove the pulley...

-mike
  • Where can u get a breaker bar. How do u tighten it if so how much.
  • that is untill it hits 3000 revs then it takes off like a bat out of hell any one got any ideas as the engine managment light is not on
    Andy