Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Engine Problems

14567810»

Comments

• I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza sedan and it just did the same thing at 34k miles, I was getting on to the highway and my check engine light came on then traction control light and started knocking pulled over checked oil it was bone dry 3 QUARTS LOW, rod in motor started knocking car spun a ring. Subaru is warranting the motor which is a good thing but i am a little worried about how they are talking about fixing my motor eater they will replace the bad parts with new, or they will order a short block for my car and i have a problem with those options because of the fact of you are taking your heads off the motor that has been damaged and putting them on the new short block well i have a problem with this because what is to say the heads were not damaged from not being lubricated and foreign material from shavings in the motor.

i have my oil changed every 7500 miles because i run fully synthetic oil and i only have the dealer work on my car.

0n 2/3/12/ car had 29800k miles on it when i had the oil changed and transmission serviced,

on 3/15/12 car had 34000k miles on it when it chose to break down

and i checked my oil 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was full

car has not been tampered with at all

please if this has happened to anyone i would really like to know
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    I got to 35K miles, and the car went in for its next oil change having lost no oil since 30K. Now I don't know what to think - why would it lose all that oil between 25K and 30K, then lose no oil in this OCI? I always check it right after they change it, so I know it was properly filled at 25K.

Oh well, inconclusive......

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• kelstarkelstar Posts: 1
    I just got my car back from the dealer, had to have a new block put in (~47,500 miles). It was covered under the warranty, luckily. I haven't had the car back for a full 24 hours and the check engine light is on AGAIN, as well as the traction control and the cruise control lights. Neither of these buttons are responding when I try to turn them on or off.
    Has anyone had this happen? I want to think that something isn't connected or there's a blown fuse, but I'm afraid to keep driving it and have it crap out again. Of course today is Sunday....
    Anyone?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Sounds like some electrical connections didn't get reinstalled in the right way. I wouldn't worry about damaging the new engine, but don't be surprised if you suddenly have a dead battery in the next day or two. If it were me, I would be straight back in there to get this fixed on their dime.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• k3nd0k3nd0 Posts: 1
    @zwzachary87 That is exactly what happened to my 2010 impreza 2.5i at 36,700 miles I had changed the oil every 3k per dealership and on the last one I went 7k because I was going to change the oil myself after the warantee was up... The day I was going to change it myself it spun a bearing exactly as you described it, with the traction control light and no oil etc etc. After looking at it they are going to cover it as warantee by replacing the shortblock. but what troubles me is they didnt even fight me over it. That says to me that there is a bearing issue and I just hope that it doesnt blow again soon. I am going to have to check the oil every stop for gas just to be sure the engine doesnt start burn ing oil like a champ when I least expect it and blow the engine again. :cry: :sick:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,677
    The warranty for drivetrain components, including the engine, is 5 years or 60,000 miles. That likely factored heavily into the decision they made.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • This exact thing just happened to me. What did you end up doing? I've only had the car for less than 8 months... not a happy camper. It sounds like a new engine is the only way to deal with this. After this is makes me wonder if the car is worth holding onto. Thanks for your advice to help ease any issues I could be facing in the future.
  • I had this same thing happen this past Tuesday evening. Turned off the freeway and a pinging started. Not one engine light or oil light came on. Checked the oil and its 3quarts low. just bought this car last year with 29,000 and now have 68,000 as it is my commuter vehicle. I get my oil changed every 5,000 miles with full synthetic and have all the receipts, so how is it getting that low on oil?
14567810»