Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Engine Problems

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Fuel pump is in the tank, it can be accessed by removing the rear seat and then unbolting a panel on the passenger side to access it.

No need to bleed the system when putting a new filter in (in the engine compartment). Just replace it and fire up the car. You should if it's quiet be able to hear the pump buzz when you put the key into the "on" position.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • hello my friends I have a 06 sti with perrin intercooler up pipe and dow pipe perrin to greedy blow off valve and xs computer on top of factory every stage works perfect it have from 0 to 9 and take off wires i tried with and without but my cruise control light comes on somebody knows something about how to fix this problem thanks for your time.
    Could you explain the problem a bit more indepth?

-mike
  • well my cruise control light blinks all the time since the chip or computer has bee n installed it has a take off mode some wires that have to be installed in the cluthcpedal ok.well i tried with those wires on it and without it and the cruise control light still blinks but the chip works perfectly but i canot use my cruise control no more thanks guys for the help,
    I would contact Turbo XS, I've installed a lot of Turbo XS piggyback chips and they don't usually have this issue.

-mike
  • jimbrujimbru Posts: 1
    My Impreza (2000) has run sweetly for 3 years but has developed and intermitent problem. Whilst driving at any speed the engine cuts out, it feels as if its run out of petrol. After about 10 minutes it will start again, maybe runs for 2 minutes of 2 days. Has anyone had similar problem and can advise me?
    Have you replaced your fuel filter yet? It's the black canister on the left side (looking forward) in the engine bay. Should cost about $20 at a local autoparts store. That would be a good start.

-mike
  • Hi,

I have 2008 Impreza Wagon and when I start the car in the morning, Engine Coolant Temperature light comes on. After driving for 2 minutes light goes away. I brought car to the dealer but they said it is normal. I think it should be off after 1 - 2 seconds like all other lights. What is your opinion? Thanks.
  • I get the same blue coolant light in my 08 Impreza 2.5i every mornign I start up. And im not even sure if its the coolant, it may simply be the engine's temp is too low.

We've had below zero temps here in the Chicago area, and that light comes on everymorning. Even if the engines is off for at least an hour in freezing temps and you start again, the temp drops enough to turn that light back on.

I believe it simply lets you know that the temp has not reached its ideal value in order to get the best performance/efficiency/mileage/etc from you engine.

Your best bet is to just wait the 2-4 mins it takes to warm up your engine enough to turn the light off.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,687
    If I have understood other posts correctly, the Impreza does not have a temperature gauge in the '08, it only has the "dummy light." If the coolant is below operating temp, the blue light is on. If it is above normal operating temp, a red light will illuminate. On my car (08 Outback), there is a temp gauge and it takes about 3-4 miles for it to get to full operating temperatures at -20 to -40F. So, at zero, it will probably be on for a couple minutes or more. At room temperature, it might be as short as 30 seconds.

In short, this operation is normal. I would think your owner manual should explain the normal function.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Yup, even the gauges in todays cars are generally idiot lights. There may be a physical gauge there, but it really only has 3 positions...

-mike
  • tuttttuttt Posts: 1
    My backup lights are not working. I have concluded that it is the switch since I can make them come one sporadically by wiggling the shifter.

Does anyone know where the backup light switch is located on a 1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon with manual transmission?

My car has State inspection coming up next month and I don't want to have to pay a mechanic big $$$ to fix it. :( If I can find it, I can fix it

Thanks!!!
  • i just bought a 94 impreza i really like this car but the check eng light comes on after about 15 minutes of warmup time and 30 to 40 minutes of driving then it runs rough and it starts to burn gas i get good milage when light is out and bad when on could it be the o2 senser or map
  • I'd suggest taking your car to a car parts store that will read OBD codes and determine precisely what your problem is. Although it sounds to me like a faulting knock sensor (I had similar problems on a 2000 impreza - would have check engine light on some days, off others - car idled/ran rough when it was on). I ended up moving the knock sensor to a different thread about 2 inches away and this solved my problem. You could try running a higher octane fuel too - if your check engine light doesn't come on, then it's most likely a knock sensor issue.
  • have 53 sti, start car when cold, leave to tick over no problem but start and drive down road engine starts struggerling then dies or when stopping at the end of street,does this once or twice, once warm no problems at all changed plugs,coils.water temp.sensor can any one help
    Unfortunately a 94 won't have an OBDII code in it cause it's OBDI. My guess is that it's the cat, but that's only a guess. Bring it to a dealer and have them read the code. It'll cost about $95 but it'll tell you what the code is for.

-mike
    My guess is a faulty intake manifold gasket.

-mike
  • grazgraz Posts: 4
    my 08 impreza just randomly started making a rattleing noise, it seems to be coming from the front on the passenger side. any suggestions?
    Interior or exterior?

If interior, is it intermittent and loud or is it consistent and muffled?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    it is exterior, it kinda makes a noise like a loose exaust pipe would, but i have no problems accelerating and it doesn't get that loud.
    Hmmm. Does it do it constantly? If it sounds like a loose exhaust pipe, I almost want to say "heat shield," but more information is good...
    someone else said that the heat shield might be loose and that subaru's are famous for having problems with the heat shield. it didn't make the noise on my way to work and 8 hours later when i started it, it was making that noise
    Yeah, that sounds like a good place to start. Unless they are very loose, heat shields are not necessarily consistent rattlers.

Oddly, the only problem I ever had from a heat shield on my '96 was a bent shield due to running over a large rock through a construction zone on my way up to Alaska. The bent shield rubbed against the rear driveshaft and caused it to squeal. Eventually, once we made it home, I put it up on ramps, located the point of contact, and moved it back into shape. Problem fixed. ;)
  • jimv1125jimv1125 Posts: 5
    ty taking it to a dealer to get code dont have knock sensor
    ty mike am taking it in to get code
    started the car up today...no issues. it was 50 out today and i heard that they do that in the cold and they can be tightened but they'll eventually loosen up again. guess i'll take it in to get looked at
  • mutty122mutty122 Posts: 1
    hi can anyone tell me ............ my turbo kicks in alot better cold than when hot ? and what sort of turbo would a 1994 wrx import have.. td04 ? td05 ? thanks .andy
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Cold air is more dense, so that makes perfect sense. Also, a turbo compresses the air, which heats it up, so you lose some of the power gains, which is why intercoolers are so common.

Not sure about the specific turbo, though.
    anyone know what an asv solenoid is?
  • tunerguy87tunerguy87 Posts: 1
    hey i have a 06 subaru wrx and i was thinking about taking out the cayalyicconverter but i was told that it might be a bad idea but others say its all good. what should i do. p.s. i was looking for extra hp and a better sound. will that work