Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

Check Engine light came on Sunday. The code that came up with it was P0440. Does anyone know what this code means. Tried calling the dealer and left a message. Has anyone had this problem?

Comments

• I have a 2002 dodge Ram 1500 w/ 109,000miles on it. I haven't had any trouble whats-so-ever until just this past week.

I was on my way to get my inspection done and got a ticket for it. As I was driving my engine light came on so I ran to the auto parts store and they read a P1491. So I have done what you guys have said on the replacement of the AC rely - engine light is still on. Took the battery - and + off and then replaced the rely. Still on.
    I talked to the dealer and they said it could be anything. Odd?

So, I have noticed that my AC is not running right at all. It does blow air but when at a light it is moist air and then when driving over 25mph it becomes cold again. I thought I might need to recharge the AC and I had it checked it was okay.

What should I do? What else should I check?
    PLEASE HELP.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Posts: 254
    Check fuse #39. Fuse box is located under the hood,next to the battery.
  • Thanks I wrote down what you guys have told other people in the past about fixing a P1491 on a DodgeRam .

1. on-off-on-off-on = worked for me and told me what was wrong.
    2. Checked the fuse #39 - it was broken- replaced it.
    (this still didn't get ride of the engine light.)
    3. Replace my AC rely.
    (this still didn't get ride of the engine light.)
    4. Replace my Rateator rely.
    This fixed everything.
    In total I sent only 20 dollars to fix my truck.

Thank you! :shades:
  • Here is a link to all trouble codes. P0440 is listed halfway down the page.
    http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php
  • Here is a link to all trouble codes. P0440 is listed halfway down the page.
    http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php
  • I think it was just my gas cap. I got gas on Tuesday night and the MIL light went off Wednesday night. Thank you for your help. I hope that was the problem considering I only have 46,000 on it. ;)
  • ron44ronron44ron Posts: 2
    What does code P0442 mean?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    P0442 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Basically this code means that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has recorded an event where the fuel tank could not be negatively pressurized (vacuum).

This could be caused by refueling with the engine on, or this vehicle has a leak in the evaporative fuel system. On Dodge trucks the first suspect is usually the fuel cap is either not tighten correctly to 1/4 turn, or defective.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ron44ronron44ron Posts: 2
    Thanks Dusty. Is there somewhere on the web where I can look up PCM codes? Thanks again. Ron
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Ron,

I have a hard list, but I think Bpeebles has a link to a site that lists the codes.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Someone please help me! I have a 2005 Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7L hemi. I have this error, but i don't know how to fix it.
    No one sells the part, but dodge and they want $300 to fix it. I don't even know where it is!!
  • msucogmsucog Posts: 1
    had the same exact thing happen earlier this week. it sounds like it's a piece of cake to fix. take out two bolts and replace the part. advance auto parts didn't have it...will check around and post where i find it. i don't plan to pay the dealer ship an arm and leg to fix it since i don't like the dealership where i live now. thinking about driving home and letting my original dealer fix it...
  • goaliegoalie Posts: 16
    My '01 318 Quad has been nothing but great since new. It now has 100k on it and runs fine. Cruise quit. Switch lites the dash light, which then goes out. I have a code 455...large leak in evap. system....which I assumed could be related, however, I can find no damage to the canister or hoses. nor, do I see a connection between the evap system, and the vacuum to the cruise servo. I assume the speed sensors are good, given that the truck runs fine. Any thoughts out there?
  • goaliegoalie Posts: 16
    I have been told that the speed sensor mounted to the rear differential could cause the cruise control to fail.....Anyone ever had to deal with this part?
  • sodell72sodell72 Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what code P2175 means, know one around here can tell me anything except it is for the throttle actuator control sys-low airflow detected. Can anyone tell me what this means? And how do I repair it. Thanks,
  • I have a 98 ram 1500 4x4 5.2l that rapidly misfires accross the board when flooring it while passing or in park. happens at 3500 rpm. new parts: cap,rotor,wires,plugs,cam sensor pick up, crank sensor. exhaust is new from front to back. history codes p0320 and multiplse p300 miss codes. cleared codes. none return, problem still there. Fuel pressure is dead on. problem solved by removing brand new bosch platinum plugs and replacing with ngk!!! Bosch platinum strikes again. now we have to try and return some of these parts.lol
  • rickow1rickow1 Posts: 2
    recently had some driving problems that were similar to ones I had in the past. Trouble code would not stay lit so I could scan at first but now it does. P0304 is the code I'm getting which is a cylinder 4 misfire. Last time I had a similar problem the dealer told me they repaired a rocker that had come loose from the valve/push rod. Before I dig into the valve covers does this sound correct? I have had the truck over 2.5 years and I have not replaced the plugs but I cannot remember if the dealer did this last time. I would appreciate some comments and suggestions so I dont have to make another expensive visit to the dealer.