Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

Comments

• kcram,

Thanks for the response. Any idea if it may be something I can fix myself, or am I going to need the (dealer's) diagnostic computer to tell where the problem is?

Thanks,
    Martin
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    If it's the most common cause, it's a loose connection in the electrical box under the hood. Make sure all the connections are clean and tight inside the box, and try restarting the truck to see if the gauges respond, If not, then it would have to be traced.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• seif63seif63 Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1994 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4 AUTOMATIC TRANS.NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH TRANNY. I STOPPED TO GET GAS ON MY WAY HOME,LEFT THE GAS STATION AND WENT APPROX. 1/2 MILE AND THE TRANSMISSION WENT INTO NEUTRAL,I COASTED TO A STOP,SHUT THE ENGINE OFF AND RESTARTED IT,PUT TRANS IN DRIVE AND IT TOOK OFF AGAIN. THIS HAPPENED LIKE 4 OR 5 MORE TIMES ,SO THEN I CALLED FOR A TOW TRUCK.IT ALMOST SOUNDS ELECTRICAL BECAUSE WHEN YOU SHUT THE ENGINE OFF AND RESTART IT.IT WILL GO INTO GEAR.SPOKE WITH A TRANNY SHOP AND THEY SAID THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED--- :confuse:
  • my battery went dead and the red light came on and started blinking and wont turn off replaced battery still blinking then on the mileage display gascap come on then the check engine light come on I replaced the gascap still wont turn off how do I fix this hopefully with out having to take it to dealership? please
  • I have a Dodge 2002 Ram Van 2500. The speedometer is not working, the ABS, engine and brake light stays on. I changed the speed sensor and still same problem. I ckecked the wires and there is no current going to the sensor wires. The code is P0500 which is sensor mulfunction. Any ideas what else I can do?
  • When I had the same problem I replaced the spark plugs and wires which fixed the problem --BUT- I later found I had a bad wire which cause the misfire which burned up my catalytic converter. $600 to fix,
  • my truck has an error code of 0431 which is listed as( warm up efficiency below threshold (bank 2) ). Does anyone know what that means?
  • Does anyone know what this is about and how much of a problem it is? It is for a 1998 Ram 1500 5.2 litre
  • I have a 2002 Ram van and had similar problem. I changed the speed sensor but find out that a rodent had chew my wires.
  • That helps. Is it something that a reasonably handy person can change themselves or do you need to be a mechanic/special tools
  • On a 1998, the sensor is located on the left side rear of the transmission and points slightly down. Clean the wire and sensor, check wire for damage, remove the plug, then remove the sensor. A reasonably handy person can change it, just be ready for tranny fluid to come out.
    Corkscrew
  • Can any one tell what to do with this code? I was told it is the EGR, but i dont want to replace it if its not bad and the light wont go out.
  • yes this is the egr valve. i replaced one a couple days ago. not hard to change. to reset the light ,disconnect the battery for 2 minutes after you change the egr valve. it cost about 48 dollars
  • My check engine light just went on in my 1999 2500 with cummins diesel. This coincided with my temperature gauge never coming up from cold so I think they are related. I see all of this talk about how to fix certain codes but I'm not sure how to get the codes.

Can someone tell me how to get the codes?
  • OK, I just read through all of the posts on this topic. I went out to the truck and did the on - off - on - off - on sequence and nothing changed in the odometer display. I changed the odometer to the trip odometer and did the sequence again. Still no codes.

Is my truck to old for this type error code display?
  • The preferred method for getting codes is to have them read. There is a 16 pin connector under the instrument panel on the drivers side. I have read of those people who can't pull up a code for one reason or another. If you can't get your code by cycling the key within 5 seconds, Auto Zone and Pep Boys usually read them for free.
    Corkscrew
  • We have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 V8 Gas and the Check Engine light came yesterday. When I did the On/off/on/off/on test it flashed 12 - 31 - 55.

Does anyone know what code 31 is?

I found another site for Dodge Neon that said Code 31 was the "Evap purge flow monitor failure or evap solenoid circuit", but I am not sure if Dodge uses the same codes for all their vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Do a google search for Dodge Computer Codes and you'll find several places that gives you this. Here is one:
    http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html
    Hope this helps.