Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

Comments

• kcram,

Thanks for the response. Any idea if it may be something I can fix myself, or am I going to need the (dealer's) diagnostic computer to tell where the problem is?

Thanks,
    Martin
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    If it's the most common cause, it's a loose connection in the electrical box under the hood. Make sure all the connections are clean and tight inside the box, and try restarting the truck to see if the gauges respond, If not, then it would have to be traced.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • seif63seif63 Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1994 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4 AUTOMATIC TRANS.NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH TRANNY. I STOPPED TO GET GAS ON MY WAY HOME,LEFT THE GAS STATION AND WENT APPROX. 1/2 MILE AND THE TRANSMISSION WENT INTO NEUTRAL,I COASTED TO A STOP,SHUT THE ENGINE OFF AND RESTARTED IT,PUT TRANS IN DRIVE AND IT TOOK OFF AGAIN. THIS HAPPENED LIKE 4 OR 5 MORE TIMES ,SO THEN I CALLED FOR A TOW TRUCK.IT ALMOST SOUNDS ELECTRICAL BECAUSE WHEN YOU SHUT THE ENGINE OFF AND RESTART IT.IT WILL GO INTO GEAR.SPOKE WITH A TRANNY SHOP AND THEY SAID THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED--- :confuse:
  • my battery went dead and the red light came on and started blinking and wont turn off replaced battery still blinking then on the mileage display gascap come on then the check engine light come on I replaced the gascap still wont turn off how do I fix this hopefully with out having to take it to dealership? please
  • I have a Dodge 2002 Ram Van 2500. The speedometer is not working, the ABS, engine and brake light stays on. I changed the speed sensor and still same problem. I ckecked the wires and there is no current going to the sensor wires. The code is P0500 which is sensor mulfunction. Any ideas what else I can do?
  • When I had the same problem I replaced the spark plugs and wires which fixed the problem --BUT- I later found I had a bad wire which cause the misfire which burned up my catalytic converter. $600 to fix,
  • my truck has an error code of 0431 which is listed as( warm up efficiency below threshold (bank 2) ). Does anyone know what that means?
  • Does anyone know what this is about and how much of a problem it is? It is for a 1998 Ram 1500 5.2 litre
  • I have a 2002 Ram van and had similar problem. I changed the speed sensor but find out that a rodent had chew my wires.
  • That helps. Is it something that a reasonably handy person can change themselves or do you need to be a mechanic/special tools
  • On a 1998, the sensor is located on the left side rear of the transmission and points slightly down. Clean the wire and sensor, check wire for damage, remove the plug, then remove the sensor. A reasonably handy person can change it, just be ready for tranny fluid to come out.
    Corkscrew
  • Can any one tell what to do with this code? I was told it is the EGR, but i dont want to replace it if its not bad and the light wont go out.
  • yes this is the egr valve. i replaced one a couple days ago. not hard to change. to reset the light ,disconnect the battery for 2 minutes after you change the egr valve. it cost about 48 dollars
  • My check engine light just went on in my 1999 2500 with cummins diesel. This coincided with my temperature gauge never coming up from cold so I think they are related. I see all of this talk about how to fix certain codes but I'm not sure how to get the codes.

Can someone tell me how to get the codes?
  • OK, I just read through all of the posts on this topic. I went out to the truck and did the on - off - on - off - on sequence and nothing changed in the odometer display. I changed the odometer to the trip odometer and did the sequence again. Still no codes.

Is my truck to old for this type error code display?
  • The preferred method for getting codes is to have them read. There is a 16 pin connector under the instrument panel on the drivers side. I have read of those people who can't pull up a code for one reason or another. If you can't get your code by cycling the key within 5 seconds, Auto Zone and Pep Boys usually read them for free.
    Corkscrew
  • We have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 V8 Gas and the Check Engine light came yesterday. When I did the On/off/on/off/on test it flashed 12 - 31 - 55.

Does anyone know what code 31 is?

I found another site for Dodge Neon that said Code 31 was the "Evap purge flow monitor failure or evap solenoid circuit", but I am not sure if Dodge uses the same codes for all their vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Do a google search for Dodge Computer Codes and you'll find several places that gives you this. Here is one:
    http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html
    Hope this helps.
  • Hello hailofaguy,
    Code 12 means that the battery was disconnected within the last 50 starts. This is normal if battery was disconnected. If not have the battery tested and check both cables.
    Code 31 refers to evap solenoid circuit. Check for loose, broken, or shorted wires in the charcoal cannister solenoid wiring and connectors.
    Code 55 means end of message
    Corkscrew
  • Thank you Corkscrew, I had Pep Boys pull the codes and they found two, P0125 which is a closed loop temp not reached, and P1693 which I was told was just a general fault. Since the engine light has come on, my temp gauge has not moved off of 140. Do you think this is a stuck open thermostat or is it a temp sensor? I would think that if the thermostat is stuck open the temp would still come up off 140 after several miles and it is not.
  • Feel your top radiator hose...if it is hot, your thermostat is opening. Better yet, have Pep Boys/autozone/etc shoot top and bottom hose with a temp gun and see if they are somewhat close in temp.
  • Canister and wires all look fine so we took it into the dealership and they hooked it up to the scanner for free. The code showed P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow. Doing the ignition on/off test showed code 31 which seems to point to the same thing. Either way they felt it was the purge solenoid on top of the engine. Part is ordered, well see if that fixes it when it comes in. :sick:

Thanks for the advice.
  • P0125= This should help: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0125
    Corkscrew
  • Thank you again corkscrew. I replaced the thermostat yesterday but my temp gauge is still stuck at 140. I think it must be the temp sensor. Is the temp sensor located right next to the thermostat? I see an electronic device that screws into the block right there.

Also, after I get this problem fixed, will the check engine light automatically go off or will I need to have it reset?
  • That "electronic device" you refer to is both the sensor and sender.After you replace it I would have it reset and see if code P1693 goes away as well.
    Corkscrew
  • fuhquefuhque Posts: 3
    I have an '02 dodge ram 1500 2wd, standard tran. I had it in to get some rear end work done and when I picked it up and drove away the speedometer stopped working, the ABS light came on, the ebrake light, and it kept stalling. So I took it back and my speed sensor was shot. So they replaced that, thought everything was ok, then all of a sudden the lights came back on the speedometer works but it bounces between speeds irratically, and my check engine light came on. The only thing it solved was the stalling. They said I had to reset my computer but they didn't know how? Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • goaliegoalie Posts: 16
    Crap Truck? Don't blame the truck....blame the owner who took it to some fly-by-night mechanic......they obviously haven't a clue. Rear end work? Thats a new one.....They disturbed/damaged your rear diff. speed sensor. They replaced it? How did they know it was shot? if they don't have a code reader, which, by the way, also clears all trouble codes. You need to take your Dodge to a reputable mechanic/shop....that road tests your truck, and doesn't charge you until they are sure its properly repaired, and warranty their work for a minimum 30 days. Clowns like that give licensed mechanics a bad rap.....and questions like this only clutter this forum.
  • tytulatytula Posts: 4
    ihave 4 codes popping up and iwonder if anyone knows what they may be.... p2509,p0521,p1755,p0524