Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    Sounds reasonable. Thanks!
    I'm not surprised. Just another reason the Impreza is the absolute bargain of it's class. :shades:
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    I've not encountered the 4krpm buzz that you mention, but since I'm using 4k as an upper limit as recommended for break-in, I my not have found it yet. Re tires, I've no doubt that the RE-92s are a limiting factor. I've had good results (for an all-season tire) with the RE-950s that I now have on the Miata and will seriously consider the RE-960 Pole Position when time to replace the Impreza tires.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,392
    The clutch "take-up" characteristics and low speed throttle response conspire to make smooth, repeatable launches difficult but I hope that will improve when I can use throttle more aggressively (break-in). There is also excessive drive-line lash which exacerbates the launch issue and makes poking along in first gear (as in a parking lot) somewhat awkward.

I agree completely with this assessment. While the clutch does not improve with age, it will become far less awkward as you adjust to it. I agree that repeatability is difficult with it but, once going a few MPH, shifting through the gears between 4K and 5K RPM is like butter and propels the car quite enthusiastically. I only lament cutting it short at 60 in 3rd. :(
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    If you think 1st gear is bad on subarus now, try a first gen RS or Legacy. For these 1st gear is only used from a dead start, you can't use them if moving at all.

-mike
    That sounds like 1st on my '69 Chevy. That thing is a 3-speed unless I want to crawl and I am pulling a seriously heavy load (like your boat!) up a steep grade. There is a reason it is called "granny gear."

I can actually start that truck, in gear (1st or 2nd), without engaging the clutch. After 2-3 cranks it fires up and takes off. Yes, I did do this once by accident. Almost ran myself over, too. It only took 1 crank that time, though. It was quite a shocker.... :blush:
    Amazingly the Ramada pulls it out of the ramp w/o issue. We don't really mess around and put it in 4-low to pull it up the ramp so as not to slip the trans too much.

-mike
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Back when I had my 22' Ski Centurion and my '97 Z71, I always used 4-low to pull the boat out of the water. Much easier to control, especially on some of the steep launches here in SE Wisconsin lakes. It really made it effortless to launch the boat.

-Brian
    I always dreamed of a Ski Nautique 2001 Never did get one though, jumpt right up to the performance boats. :)

I hear the lakes out in MN and WI are nice!

-mike
    The more that I drive it, I find that the clutch is less bothersome than the driveline lash which may be due, at least in part, to the AWD (the additional center differential perhaps?). Looking at the spindly solid half-shafts, I also wonder about additional torsional flex as opposed to tubular axles.

Last Friday, my Impreza returened to the dealer to install the "short-shift" and trailer hitch. The shifter is a definite improvement and I'm puzzled that it is not the standard item. I can't imagine that anyone would prefer the original shifter - is it part of a conspiracy to discourage the purchase of manual transmissions? ;) I wonder how many buyers even notice that the option is available? I'm VERY glad that I did!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    I have no complaints about the standard shifter on my '06 WRX.

Bob
    But have you driven one with the short-shifter?

With the standard shifter, fifth gear was a finger reach, now it is not beyond my palm. Still much further away than the Miata, but much better.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    No, but I have driven other cars with short gear throws (Miata, S2000). They were fine, but not fine enough for me to cough up the extra bucks to get it in my car.

If the WRX had a clunky shifter I would certainly consder it, but that's not the case.

Bob
    I agree there. Also, prior to my Outback, the only MT vehicles I had driven on a regular basis were Pre-1980 and were either trucks or jeeps. So, in comparison to the amount of movement in those, the Outback did have a short-throw! 5th does feel like quite a reach, though. Not uncomfortably so, but noticeably.
    I have found that the Group N motor mounts, and tranny mounts coupled with stiffer bushings for the shifter actually give it a better feel than what the short-throw shifter gives.

-mike
    As with most things , it depends on your frame of reference. My point was that if the "short-shift" were standard, I doubt that buyers would be wishing for longer throws, rather, they would find the short-shift an improvement. And, although Subaru charges an exhorbitant price for the short-shif option, it's hard to believe that they sell enough of them to contribute more to the bottom line than it would to make all of their cars more satisfying to drive. No, the standard shifter is not "clunky", and if there were no option , I could have lived with it. But having experienced better, I'm glad that I have it, cost notwithstanding. This week's commutes have been noticeably more satisfying than last week's.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    Compared to my old 4 Runner, I found the manual to be perfectly acceptable. No, it's not a BMW or a Honda manual, but it's not bad, either. You should try 5th gear in my 4 Runner... Now that's an elbow in your passenger's lap reach. I honestly have to lean forward as I go into 5th and am pushed back a bit - an odd sensation under full throttle. :P

I'm looking at this car lately because of the silly low lease deal. It's nice, but still I wish they would fix the small and obvious things that always keep coming up.

Optimally, they would make the car available a-la-carte like the Mini, so you could order any option you wanted. That would be #1 on my to-do list.
    After a week and a half with the "short-shift", the long reach to fifth is a distant memory and I've found no disadvantages. Why do they even make a "long-shift"??????
  • dinterndintern Posts: 24
    Impressions so far after 1k miles on my base model manual wagon:
    1) Upon reaching 70MPH, the car feels a little floating. Giving its reputation on handling and low gravity boxer engine, it surprises me to sense this floating effect. Perhaps it has sth to do with air pressure in the new tires, not sure tho.

2) MPG in mixed driving is about 21 while I hope 24 at least.

3) Visibility is not top rate. Passenger seat blocks my view of the right blind spot. Have to push it up front to get it out of the way. I ride alone so I can do whatever to the passenger seat but still it's an issue.

4) 5th gear on a moderate slope can't push the car much. Looks like 173HP/166TQ is still a tad short for a 3000lb. Should have gone with the WRX model, but then again its high insurance would screw me up. Just gives and takes, like always.

5) Turning radius is a little too wide for a compact car, would like it to be tighter, but no big deal.
    After 723 miles of predominantly 35-55 mph suburban driving (less than 15% 70+ mph highway), I have averaged 25.9 mpg over 3 fills (25.1, 26.1, 26.8) showing an encouraging trend. Not bad for a 3100lbm AWD vehicle with a "green" engine, but not stellar either, my heavier and faster '89 Acura Legend did better (28 mpg) in similar driving. Note that it IS consistent with its EPA rating.

My first impressions still stand, although I'd elevate driveline lash to the top of my gripe list. Visibility is definitely better with the rear headrests stowed but the fronts are unnecessarily large and reduce visibility as well. The handling is good although the overboosted steering leaves you feeling a bit disconnected and combined with the "ready-to-wander" high speed characteristics suggest that it could use a bit more caster angle. It does bother me somewhat to have to slow more for cornering than I'd become accustomed in the Miata, but is IS a much heavier wagon, after all. It almost makes me wish that the RE-92s will not last long :D

Utility is good - it swallowed all of our purchases during our Mothers' day trip to the nursery for annuals (I had expected to need two trips).

We plan a 600+ mile trip in a couple of weeks after which I can update re highway mileage/performance.
    We just returned from a 612mi weekend in the Impreza and I'm happy to report that travel at 75+mph was relaxed and comfortable. The utility afforded by the wagon configuration allowed us to take our dog in her cage whereas we usually must leave her at home with a "sitter" (She's a very difficult traveler when loose in the car and the cage will not fit in a sedan).

I'm less pleased with fuel consumption - 28.9 mpg average for 612 mi. of exclusively highway travel. Yes , it is consistent with its EPA rating but I've never had a vehicle that did not better the EPA highway rating in similar conditions. Our bigger, heavier and considerably more powerful Acura TL has yielded 31 mpg under less ideal conditions even though it has an automatic transmission. Apparently AWD adds significant losses. I'll rationalize that the saved cost of a dog-sitter more than pays for the gas.
    Don't forget you are pushing another diffy and 2 more wheels and axles than the TL. Also the gearing on the AT TL is probably significantly higher at cruising speed.

I used to pull 30-35 mpg with my significantly heavier (3600lbs) SVX with AT and H6 3.3L 250hp engine on the highway. That car also turned 4700 rpms as 145mph.

-mike
    That car also turned 4700 rpms as 145mph.

Of course that's just speculation right? ;)

Current mileage after 8000 miles on my Impreza wagon is 29.5mpg. It climbed a tick or two from when I got it. I'm sure if I stuck closer to the 65mph limit, I'd break 30mpg, but I usually like to cruise at 75 - 80...

Total cost of a fillup at the current rate of $3.09/g is about 41 bucks and that gets me 400 miles. Not bad considering it's 4 season utilities. :shades:
    No speculation. That's 145 mph on the GPS and turning 4700 RPMs. Closed course, etc. etc.

-mike
    I figured that... I was only joking.

Pretty stable at high speeds? For such a big car (I believe that car weighed in at around 3100lbs), I'd be curious how well it compared to cars like a C4, Supra, 300Z or others like it from that era. Never heard much about the SVX when it came out other than how expensive they were for a Subie.

Sorry, drifting off topic...
    Felt like I was doing 90. I think it was actually heavier than that coming in around 3400lbs IIRC. I tracked my car exensively for about a year and it was great on track, ran all over stock BMWs at BMW events, and overall was a blast to run at the track. If I had lightened it up and put in some coilovers and a 5MT it would have been truely amazing.

I may do a project track car with a 5MT or 6MT in an SVX one day.

-mike
    Does anyone have an exhaust pop/burble just above idle if you rev it up? I've been finding that after a long drive on the freeway that when I pull in to my driveway and give it a pump on the gas I get a popping, pressure release it settles back to idle. I know its difficult to describe in words but it's almost like a light backfire?

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Oh and she's currently pulling a consistant 31mpg (80%HW) which I am ecstatic about.
    That is normal. Subarus are tuned rich from the factory so if you've been cruising on the highway you'll get the little pop.

-mike
    That makes sense, thank you very much. :thumbup:
  • Purchased new 2008 Impreza 2.5i premium and after roughly 2 months and 1000 miles, warning lights coming on during normal driving and staying on. This is sporadic. It's been to the dealer 3 times now. They are perplexed and are working with Suburu to identify a fix. Anyone else? If not, posting this in case more show up.