Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• I live in NJ and just scored a 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5dr. 5spd. for $18.6k. The car came with the moonroof, fog lights, stereo and all the extras. They also added lifetime drive train warranty and side body moldings. To make the deal sweeter they gave me $2.5k for my old 99' 4dr. civic w/200k mls. I can't wait to pick it up. I also looked at and drove the Mazda 3s and Hyundai Touring. Both good cars with better milage but also cost more and didn't have AWD. Lets face it everyone, your not going to find the one car that does everything perfectly in the $20k range.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE UNDECIDED PEOPLE OUT THERE!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, that model is the best value in the lineup, IMHO.

Funny when a Hyundai costs MORE than a Subaru, eh? :confuse:
  • Congrats on a sweet deal! You know, I've complained a little about my '09 Impreza, it's not a perfect vehicle by any means, but I did just come back from Florida where my wife and I rented a Kia Forte and I must say that coming home to the Subaru was really nice. I've also driven other Kias, owned a Honda Civic and other cars in the Impreza's price range and I must say that for the money, it is the most fun car you can buy, with maybe the exception of the GTI. And I still love the hatch and when you want a hatchback, there aren't many options out there.

I don't think my next car will be a subaru, however, as I want to get something more fuel efficient. I will probably get a TDI Jetta Wagon or whatever new is out at that time. Subaru has a diesel in Europe and I do hope they bring it to the US as that would be very appealing to me.
    Both the GTI and TDI are nice, especially the interiors. They get a lot of upgrades from the base Golf models, though, and they're not cheap.

Subaru offers more bang, VW offers more comfort in the mid 20s (WRX vs. GTI).
  • I'm trying to decide between the 2 cars.
    The lowest price I found for the Outback Sport is 18,623 with:
    Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass w/Homelink
    Bumper Cover
    Center Armrest Ext - Ivory
    Popular Equipment Group 3B
    Security System Shock Sensor.

The 2.5i Premium with Special Edition Package is 17,661 and comes with:
    • All Weather Package
    • Cargo Tray - Ivory
    • Fog Lights
    • Power Moonroof
    • Special Edition Package

Not sure which is the better deal. Both way below invoice.
    I like the armrest extension and the bumper cover, those things will come in handy and make the ownership experience better.

I also think the AWP and moonroof will do the same for the SE.

The bottom line is do you like the two-tone of the Sport?

Both are good deals. People pay that sort of money for lesser cars every day.
  • dstarinieridstarinieri Posts: 27
    edited May 2010
    Traded an 06 BMW for an Impreza! I no longer worry will my BMW start, and if if needs a repair will I have to drain my savings account. Have a 2010 with premium and special edition package and a few other goodies for 19,600 plus tax, etc. Great value for the money. The armrest extension is a must.

I have gone 3000 miles in 3 weeks (I'm in sales) and the ride is great. Not stiff like my BMW, the seats are great. Could use a bit more power is my main complaint.
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    I have been a frequent poster on the Subaru boards, having owned new 05 Outback, 06 Tribeca and now have 09 Forester.

My 09 is "ok" now have 31k on the vehicle in 14 months. It's just too much of a "rattle trap" but otherwise fine.

Daughter just turned 19 & wanted to get something "safe and reliable" so yesterday pulled the trigger on 09 Impreza premium with 10k for $15750. I hope I did the right thing -- spent some time looking & couldn't get a better deal elsewhere. What cinched the deal was $2000 for trade in of 1997 Isuzu Oasis. It ran good but didn't look too great but I was not thrilled with the prospects of having to sell it on my own. Besides, got the advantage of another $125 sales tax advantage as I traded it in.

I expect the Impreza should be as reliable as my Forester has been, hoping that the mpg will be a little better than my Forester. Since day one, I have kept good track of mpg on Forester and have averaged close to 25 mpg, The trip computer on the Forester a little too optomistic, that shows about 1 mpg higher.

Any comments from anyone on price I paid, as well as comments on the vehicle itself?
  • hounddog69hounddog69 Posts: 34
    I picked up the SE hatchback on 4/30 in satin white. Whats funny is I had 3 appointments on that day. I bought from the first dealer I went to as they had the color I wanted. As I was closing the deal, I notified the other dealers that I was in the purchasing and I could not meet with them. Both called/e-mailed me with lower prices, but didn't say the price, except dealer #2 dropped the $200 off the price on the Outback Sport. The next day, that same dealer dropped $475 off the same car. I should have waited...oh well, I'm happy with my new Subaru!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like you got a decent deal - I wouldn't pay a dime over $16K for a 1 year old with 10K on the clock, and you didn't!

I am just turning over 10K in mine, and contemplating getting the short shifter and the rear sway from the WRX installed in my OBS when I go for the oil change + tire rotation.

I have no idea why Subaru continues to insist on putting 4-foot-tall truck shifters in these cars, but it sure does slow down shifting. As for the rear sway, the thing just about lifts a front wheel, it keels over so hard when you are at 70 mph+ and go around a curve on the highway. The super soft rear end makes for a comfy highway ride, I'm sure, but it just compromises handling too much for my tastes. It's like there's nothing holding the back of the car up except handfuls of marshmallows.

I wonder how much the dealer will want for those additions.....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    Mine had the STi short-shift kit installed at port... I'd have to look again, but I think that added nearly $500 to the MSRP...

It's nice, but with the "throttle-hang", quick, smooth shifts aren't happening, anyway... :(

Even though I have nearly 3 months to go on the lease, I picked up the replacement this weekend... :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Well do tell, what is the replacement?

'06 BMW 330 coupe..

Stick-shift, of course... ;)

So, just a leeeeetle faster than the Soob! ;-)

You going to keep the Impreza until the end of the lease? Will the residual be more than it is worth?

Yeah... I'm driving the Impreza every day to work, until the term is up.. I'll be right at the limit, so no over-mileage issues...

The residual is about $14K.... Since the selling price was about $19K, two years and 30K miles, ago... don't think there is any equity there.. It will just go back.

Of course, my last fill-up before I buy the next car, I get 30.9 mpg.. and, the BMW takes premium..

It's funny... the dealership where I bought the BMW is about 60 miles up the freeway from my house.. I'm driving home, reset the mpg gauge, then notice that I'm getting about 28-30 mpg, doing 65 mph.. Not too bad for 235 hp!! After about 20 miles, I also notice that I'm in 5th gear.. :surprise: Uh, it's a 6-speed, doofus!!

So.. 28-30 mpg highway, and not even in top gear... not too bad.. lol..

edited May 2010
    Well, one thing to know about Subaru and fuel economy is you have to be insistent on having AWD. If you don't need AWD (or want it really badly) Subaru is COMPLETELY non-competitive with other carmakers on fuel economy. The only exception is the awful CVT-equipped new Legacy. Having driven that now, I find it to be just as bad as every CVT I have ever driven - the motorboating and droning continue endlessly. In fact, it is WORSE than the CVT-equipped Cube, which motorboats less.

I figured the residual on your Impreza lease must be artifically high to get payments and terms so cheap. I quite like my OBS - if the rear sway solves the high speed handling "problem", I may well end up keeping this car a long time.

I am still debating the short shifter install - I was already expecting it to be at least the $500 figure you mentioned, and you are exactly right that with the rev hang it might not be a very good investment as it still won't shift very quickly. But I haven't driven a 4-cylinder car in the last 5 years that didn't have deplorable amounts of rev hang (and that includes all the major Japanese automakers plus Chevy and Ford) - I am guessing the BMW doesn't have it?!

You newer know, that dealer may have added some hidden documentation or processing fee to get that $475 back.

Congrats. Seems like we have a lot of new Impreza owners, so congrats to all of you. :shades:
    I am guessing the BMW doesn't have it?!

Not one scintilla... :)

Fairly heavy, but not stiff clutch.... very short, yet smooth shifter.. easy to modulate throttle, that works as intended.. I tell ya, if it had been anything like the throttle on the Subie, I'd have gone back to a slushbox (okay, maybe not..lol).

I thought maybe I just hadn't driven modern stick-shifts, enough (post 2005), but I test drove a new Z4 about a month or two after I got the Subaru... NO throttle hang! I knew then, that the Subaru just wasn't right.... I've been counting the months, ever since..

I just have to lay off the throttle, a little.... geez, I'm going fast... lol

Well, the new Civic has rev hang, the Corolla, Yaris, and Focus all have it, the Cobalt has it LIKE CRAZY (almost undriveable in a stick), and the Golf has it. Haven't driven the Koreans, but I'm not holding my breath.

So maybe it's a 4-cylinder phenomenon (does the Golf have 4 or 5?). I know the automakers do it to reduce NOx emissions, so it's a smog thing and maybe it's unique to 4-cylinders.

If BMW would only start to sell a decent 4-cylinder car in the U.S again, I would be all over it and I wouldn't have to put up with my revs hanging! :-P

• kimcatkimcat Posts: 1
    Sounds like you got a great deal. I am currently shopping for an Impreza 2.5i Premium in NJ so may I ask where you got yours? I'm torn between leasing and buying and acting now or holding out for the 2011 which I hear will be available in June/July.
    Congratulations and good luck with your new car.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    If you bought a new Subaru in the past few months, a reporter may want to talk with you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 14, 2010 with your daytime contact info and the make/model you traded in.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• My 2009 Impreza still has interior rattling and also has engine rattling when it doesn't shift at the right times (mostly going uphill). I've taken it into the dealership to fix but each time they say they cannot replicate the problem (though they refuse to take it on the highway). I leased the car so I'm definitely giving it back when the lease is up and buying something either higher-quality (what that is I don't know) or at least more fuel-efficient.

2 things I thought I would need that the car had: AWD, hatchback. Turns out I only needed AWD once last year and so far have only needed the extra cargo room with the hatch one time also. I think you can actually fit more groceries and luggage in a trunk.
  • bmws50b30bmws50b30 Posts: 4
    congrats on the purchase. i am also in the market for an impreza. i just looked at a base2.5i (auto) and the dealer told me invoice price is $18, 400 with my VIP program. They will also take off $1,000 incentive. The price will come out to around $17,500 including taxes, tags and delivery. Is this a good deal? the MSRP here at edmunds is $18, 495. I'm confused.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    The invoice is $18,143, with about $18,500 as the average price. There's maybe $800 profit for the dealer in the car before holdback, so $17500 with tax and delivery(if that really is a true out the door price) is pretty good.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,687
    First, the base MSRP on the 2.5i sedan with no options is $19,190 including destination charge. Invoice on that same car, also including destination, is $18,346. Any incentives or rebates from the manufacturer should be taken off of the invoice price, bringing your price to $17,346 after the $1000 incentive. So, tack on any taxes and fees on top of that. It sounds like $17,500 is a decent price depending on those costs.

It should be noted that the manufacturer's captive finance deal, which is very good right now, cannot be combined with the $1,000 incentive. If you're financing, that is something to consider.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    I just read the Chevy Cruze will start at $17 grand, so heck yeah, an AWD Impreza for a little more sounds good.
  • tonyyyytonyyyy Posts: 1
    Dude, which dealer did you get ur car? I am in NJ too and looking for a 2.5i Premium 5dr. Please give me the dealer info. Thanks, man!
    My 24-month lease with Chase (dba Subaru Finance) was up last month.... Got the final bill today.. The only charges were for the $300 disposition fee.. :)

What will/have you replaced it with?
  • erick830erick830 Posts: 16
    i am looking for an impreza outback sport 2010 or 2009 where did you get that price i live in nothern cali. thanks for sharing :)