Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Wow, I DO feel better, thanks!

Wait...do you have a turbo? Mine is an OBS - no turbo.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    Wow, the numbers are so different for ex: 08-09 Impreza vs Legacy. I have an 08 Legacy auto my first highway trip w/ 200 miles on odometer was 33.5mpg. That's doing the calculations myself, not trip computer. This was not summer and I've even consistently had 32-33 on highway trip in winter w/ snow tires. Cruise set at 65mph at all times. City driving not so good though, avg. 22 mpg. in all weather. I'm wondering if I can still get good numbers w/ the 2010 Impreza 2.5 auto? I'm optimistic. I do agree, Subaru needs to make more fuel efficient vehicles. I've looked at others prius, versa, yaris,fit but they don't do anything for me. I'll take a hit for gas mileage, cause I love the fun of scoobie's. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They're improving. Look at the EPA numbers for the 2010 Legacy 2.5i.

Not just EPA, either. In Consumer Reports both the 4 cylinder and H6 models actually got BETTER mileage than the similar Honda Accord. :shades:
    I'm getting better mileage without the CVT in my 2008 Legacy. My concern that I see posted is with the Impreza mileage as I'm considering purchasing the 2010 model. Hoping to get equal or better than my Legacy.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    No; I wish! If they offered a manual version of the XT, I would have considered it.

The mileage on mine goes all over the place given the duality of our using it. It seems like it either sees extended periods of short trips (yielding poor mileage as cited above) or mostly highway driving with very little of the short trips / stop & go mixed in. I am in Palmer right now, and we averaged ~25.5 coming down from Fairbanks today. I think that is okay given the winter fuel blend and snowy/slushy roads we encountered over much of the 330 miles. This was driving mostly 65-70 save for curves and other prudent places to slow down. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Just to clarify, I can get 33-34 mpg on a highway trip too. The numbers I am reporting for my OBS are mixed suburban driving. I mostly don't sit in stop and go traffic as I don't commute in it, but apart from that it is used for lots of shorter trips and 65 mph driving on the freeway for 10 and 20 miles at a stretch.

The 5-speed OBS used to be rated 22/29 prior to the 2008 dumbing-down of the EPA ratings, and so I just assumed I would be able to average 29 mpg in this car in my normal driving, as that has always been the case in the past.

And I am close at 28, but no cigar. ;-)

OTOH, I DID make 29 mpg in the latest tank: 356 miles, 12.3 gallons. Now if only I could keep it up on a regular basis....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I've looked thorough all the postings and couldn't get an accurate idea of what the mpg's were. It's listed as 20 city/27hgwy. Could you please post separate city and hgwy miles. This is greatly appreciated! I'm trying to see if the Impreza is better than my 08 Legacy auto before I make the purchase. :)
    edited March 2010
    last night: 355 miles, 12.6 gallons. Just can't break those 28 blues. :-/

'09 OBS 5-speed

rebel: isn't it essentially the identical powertrain, except the new Impreza makes 5 more horses from the same engine? And the two models are within 100 pounds of each other weight-wise, and it's the same 4EAT you already have in your Legacy. Any improvements in mpg you experienced would be in the fractions of an mpg, I would think.

edited March 2010
    Really, given the driving conditions, your economy sounds pretty good. A close friend of mine just purchased a '10 Impreza 5-speed. She lives a ways "out in the country," so much of her drive is highway miles and her trips tend to be long (~30 miles or more one way). She said that her average fuel economy thus far (about 1500 miles on the car) is 30. I suspect that during the summer she may see as good as 34, but who knows?

I have been nursing my '10 Forester the last few days (since I got to fill it and drive it on consecutive trips) and it is reading 27 mpg after 70 miles. After the first trip upon the refill, when the engine was still warm, it was reading 31.9. Cold starts (when cold = 5 degrees!) really hammer the fuel economy, even when it is not allowed to idle! I would say the driving is, like yours, "suburban."
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    75-80 mph on the highway will definitely kill your mileage in a stick-shift Impreza... All my 30 mpg tanks have been commuting to work, where the interstate speed limit is 55 (which means 60-70, mostly..).

When I get the chance to put real highway miles on it, where the speed limits are 65-70 (real speed 75-80), my mileage starts dropping quickly.. 27 mpg is about the best I can do at those speeds...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2010
    have made me feel better, so thanks! :-)

I rarely take it over 70, on the freeway I'm a speed limit guy exactly BECAUSE of the fuel economy gains that brings.

But I do have plenty of cold starts in each tank of gas, and I heartily agree that in this car (and I guess in most) they are a fuel economy killer, even during the warmer parts of the year.

My MPG readout always starts out like yours, xwesx: reading 32 or more after the first trip or two. But by the time 10 days have gone by and the tank is well below half full, it has dropped into the high 20s. :-(

And the dashboard readout is still reading 1.5 mpg too high. 29.4 is one of its favorite numbers, and the actual mpg is very reliably 28 on the nose.

Cold starts kill mileage. I have to fill up my Miata every 260 miles or so. :sick:
    Yes, I have always thought the Miata 2.0 was notably thirsty for such a small engine in such a light car.

It's not bad when it's warm out, but the extreme cold has killed my mileage.

I was getting 27-28mpg in the summer, though. Hope it warms up soon.

It's more like 24-25mpg now, plus it's a small gas tank so range sucks.
    to say my last tank was 27 mpg - 13 gallons, 355 miles - although the running average since new is still a bit higher, around 28. I find my attitude changing a bit now - since the mileage is going to suck no matter what I do, better to just drive it to enjoy it, rather than short-shifting everywhere and actively keeping the revs down, only to save a lousy $1 at fill-up time.

I love most other aspects of the car, but Subaru will never sell me another wagon unless it uses at least 25% less fuel than this one.

And yes, I'm still jealous of kyfdx's fuel economy in his - I just don't know how he does it! ;-)

'09 5-speed OBS, now at 12K miles.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I just don't know how he does it!

a) My car isn't fun to drive hard or fast, no matter what I do, so no temptation...

b) easy commute with speeds mostly between 55-65..

c) doesn't matter, because my lease is up in 3 weeks... :)

On the other hand, I find 26-30 mpg perfectly acceptable.. I drive around 15K/yr... The difference between 28 mpg and 34 mpg is less than 100 gallons of gas, per year... I'd give up the $20/mo. for something that I loved to drive... I don't love to drive the Subie, but I did get a killer lease deal, so it's been okay...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fandangofandango Member Posts: 18
    I routinely get between 28-30 mpg with my 2007 5-speed. I don't spare the horses but rarely do much city driving. In 143,000 miles, I've never gotten better than 31 mpg and never worse than 27.
    My experience matches yours to a TEE. I can't do better than 31 no matter what I do, and it is rare to drop below 27 except once when I spent most of the tank puttering around town at low speeds on short trips.

Every tank falls in a very narrow range, with 28.5 mpg being the typical reading.

Mine is an '09 5-speed, OBS wagon.

• fredjohnsonfredjohnson Member Posts: 48
    On a 200 mile trip yesterday I got 33 mpg with my 2012 Impreza Sport Prem 5 dr. CVT. Temps were about 25 degrees(F) and there was some idling in there too along with many stop lights. Car still under 1k miles, so not broken in yet so I'm trying to mix stop and go with highway miles.
  • mjasper92mjasper92 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I have had my 2012 Impreza Limited for about two weeks, and have just over 1,000 miles. So far, I have yet to average under 30 PHG. When I drive for work, it's a 200 mile round trip, almost exclusively highway, at around 70 MPH. There are alot of hills, though none are too horrible.

So Far, I have had the following:
    402 miles, 13.3 gallons, 30.2 MPG
    320 miles, 9.2 gallons, 34.9 MPG
    264 miles, 8.7 gallons, 30.3 MPG

My wife drives the car on the weekends, and has a heavier foot than I do, plus she primarily drives city. the 34.9 MPG fuel up was exclusively my driving on highways.

I use cruise control for most of the daily trip, and have seen that the car's computer wants to say that I am averaging 2 MPG better than I actually am.
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    so...took delivery on my limited hatchback yesterday and even with only 30 miles (37 overall) on it, i think i can contribute something here.

so, i'm assuming that the dealer tested things out so that when i started driving the car, it was warme d up. i drove from the dealer to work and then home. i would say that the first trip was about 50/50 highway and then stop and go city stuff, the second trip was 60/40 highway/city driving. i got an average of 32.5 mpg over those two trips. very impressed especially since i could see, as expected, the stop and go stuff killing my mileage and i still got that number.

this morning, pulling out of my garage in a mild, cold morning temp of 49 oF outside, i drove to the train station which is 4.1 miles away. in that short stretch, my mileage dropped (overall) to 30.6 mpg with mainly stop and go driving the whole way

as has been suggested, the problem, is probably the 2-3 miles where the car is cold and trying to reduce emissions. i dropped to that 30 range average quickly and the last mile, it stayed steady there. so, although i didn't look at the instantaneous mileage, it suggests that when cold, i was probably seeing less than 20 mpg. (if my math is right, it got 22 mpg for my commute in -- all of these based on car's computer, not real consumption) i'll have to keep an eye on it in the days ahead, but i don't think i'll break my habit of driving away from my garage with the cold engine. letting it idle in my garage to bring it up to operating temp seems silly...
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    Agree.
    I'm upto 200+ miles on my CVT Sport. I have a roughly 35 mile commute to work with 80% or so being urban interstate (highway) miles. Today there was 5 minutes of stop-n-go. So traffic conditions can really change the conditions from day to day.

Within the first mile on city streets the blue temp light goes off. Then once on the interstate the first roughly 3 miles has the instant MPG usually under 25mpg. For the first 200 miles I'm still above 1/2 a tank and I don't think the tank was 100% full from the dealer. Average MPG based on the computer is 33, which includes 5 to 10 minutes of pure idle time at the dealer.

Outside temps have been between 35 and 60. So not very cold, but not real warm either.

My old 2001 Outback wagon is the same way. Cold engine = poor mileage. Once the engine is warm mpg is at or above the expected values.
    edited April 2012
    Did a trip last week for work. About 200 miles from Minneapolis to a small town where my customer's office is located. Majority of the trip at about 55-65 mph. I averaged 38 mpg. I swear the gasoline must be reformulated to summer now because I couldn't get any higher than 33 mpg in the winter on a nearly identical trip. Sunny day, no wind, temp of about 50 degrees.
  • danstheman7danstheman7 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Car: 2012 Impreza Hatchback

As a teenage driver, I can say that my average (combined) MPG is around 23, because i'm decently aggressive on the gas.

Now, I do drive a lot of highway miles, where the real time highway MPG is usually around 30, but in the city the real time shows around...say...19.

Still much better than my previous '07 Sportage, which averaged 12MPG.
    Twelve?! Yikes.

Let's see, carry the one, you're saving about a billion a year in gas now. LOL
    You have to pay to play! :P
    With today's gas prices, you pay even if you're not playing. ;)
    First fillup car showed 33.3mpg. I'm not sure the tank was full and the car idled much more than normal as salesman showed my the car and what not.

237.3 miles 7.3 gallons 32.5mpg 33.6 car display
    374.2 miles 11.43 gallon 32.7mpg 35.4 car display
    319.2 miles 9.73 gallons 32.8mpg 34.8 car display - tempature ranged from 40 to 60?
    366.9 miles 11.48 gallons 31.96mpg 33.9 car display - tempature ranged from 30 to 55.
    364.0 miles 10.54 gallons 34.5mpg 36.9 car display - tempature ranged from 40s to 70.

Current tank: Car display is 38.1 with about 140 miles. - temp ranging from 50 to 80.

The tank that shows 31.9 mpg was a cold week and had more true city street driving. My current tank is more highway (70%?) and temperature is warmer. So far I'm happy but a little worried what -10F might bring next winter. Each fill was about a weeks worth of driving so none of these are a single long trip.
    edited May 2012
    Impressive - makes you wonder who needs a hybrid?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I don't know about you, but an "optimistic" mpg display irks me to no no end. My WRX is off about the same.

I think it may be due to the fact that the readouts are in 3/10 of a mile increments, rather than 1/10 of a mile increments, and therefore the accuracy is compromised.

Bob
    The 3/10 probably pays a roll too. I took my numbers and just subtracted .5 gallons and then the car display matched. Hence my theory that the car doesn't know about some gas.
    I have noticed this Impreza does take a little more gas when topping-off than my old outback does. Agree it would be much nicer to have an accurate readout so I can put my calculator away.
    Funny you say "who needs a hybrid". The final choices in picking the new car was between the Prius and Impreza. Key difference is fun to drive with AWD or MPG. I figured a Prius would save me about $600 a year in gas money ($4 per gallon) and roughly a 5 year payback which isn't too bad.

There is a need. But until gas goes $5, or you drive over maybe 20K miles a year, its not as much as one would think.

For $600 not getting stuck at the bottom of my driveway sounds good. Oh and my wife hated driving the Prius, not that she gets to drive the Impreza much. :blush:
    Of course if it snows and you have to rent a 4x4...

;)

Or even to tow.

The Soob is all around a more versatile, complete car.
    You mean when it snows. I'm in MN.
    Our driveway has 2 Subies and a Tahoe (4x4). The Tahoe sits mostly now.
    100% agree: "The Soob is all around a more versatile, complete car."
    if I would rather have the slower FA20 (FB20?) you all have with the significantly better gas mileage you also have, or my '09 with the 2.5, which has what I would consider to be the minimum necessary power for a highway-going AWD car this size, but totally mediocre mileage as a consequence...

Went camping this weekend, mostly highway with a little bit of being stuck in traffic and puttering around near the campground, 395 miles, 12.9 gallons, 30.5 mpg and that's pretty much the best I ever manage. :-(

Oh, and I'm with Bob, it's annoying that the trip computer can't accurately calculate mileage, and I don't top off when filling up, but mine is a little closer than some here have reported. My readout this time was 31.5 mpg, so only one point off (it's usually more like 2).

The new one is lighter, plus the CVT can make the most of the power the 2.0l makes. I think acceleration is similar, maybe half a step behind yours.
  • charitcharit Member Posts: 1
    Is the Impreza easy to tow? Do I have to do anything to it to tow it behind a motor home?
    If it has a manual transmission, it's easy to tow once you've mounted a triangle.

Anything else, and it is also easy to tow.... all you have to do is put it on a trailer! ;)
  • galabargalabar Member Posts: 6
    I'm seeing an increase in mileage after several months of owning my new 2012 impreza. I was originally seeing 25 mpg at the pump (about 26.5 on the computer). Recently, I was doing a longish highway drive (about 20 miles). I kept the cruise control at 58-59 mph and the computer was claiming almost 42 mpg.

I've also noticed my combined seems to be creeping up to the low 30s (computer).

Could the impreza be sensitive to winter gas formulations?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    No doubt. My WRX's gas mileage increases in the summer.

Bob
    For the Subarus I think its more the warmer temps. They warm up quicker and allow the RPMs to drop. With temps below 40 I drive about 6 or 7 miles before the RPMs drop and the engine and transmission is fully warm. Now with very warm temps (70+) its around 4 miles. In the afternoon on the way home with temps 90+ the car gets fully warm in about 3 miles, but then when I turn on the AC the mpg drops a bit.

I'm not just using the blue temp gauge as determining when the engine is warm. The blue light goes out in about a mile, but the RPM stay about 500 or so higher until the car is fully warm.

For long trips (over 30 miles) I haven't seen much of any change in average mileage. (Comparing March and April to June.)
    Car has 7000 miles on it now. Last weekend on a 300 mile trip at just under 60 mph on the highway I got 39.5 mpg average. Car read as high as 44 mpg at times. the 39.5 is actual hand calculated mileage and not the car's readout mpg. A/C on for about 25% of the time, otherwise windows down the other 75%. In town(Minneapolis) I get around 30.5 mpg and that is a combo of freeway at up to 80 mph and stop and go rush hour freeway traffic.
    edited August 2012
    I am seeing most tanks at 29 mpg now, including the one last night: 341 miles, 11.7 gallons. This is mixed suburban driving, with little rush hour stop-and-go driving. Mine is an '09 5-speed.

I am looking over in the 2012+ thread and folks there seem to be doing about 2 mpg better than me in their mixed driving, so I would probably be able to improve my mileage to about 35 if I were to trade for a '12. So that would be almost a 20% savings, give or take.

For now I'm standing pat....I rather like the extra power of the 2.5 vs the new 2.0, and I'm a little disgruntled at Subaru for not giving the new model a 6-speed manual, so that it could match the CVT for fuel economy.

• tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Test drove the '12 Impreza today, I was expecting a weak engine and let me tell you, it's surprisingly quick and had decent passing power. I went with the idea I'd hate it & just needed to see for myself so I could cross it off my list, NOPE, it goes right up to the top now. Go test drive it first before you write it off for not having enough power, trust me, it's perfectly fine!
    Well the other thing is everyone in the 2012+ thread right now is talking about how their new cars rattle like crazy on the inside. That has always been one thing I just can't stand.

My current Subaru had the "standard equipment" A-pillar rattle when it was new. I had the dealer fix it, which they were able to effectively do, and it has not recurred (the car is at 40K miles now).

• sgoldste01sgoldste01 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2012 Impreza Sport Premium with 3k miles on it. It has no rattles yet (knock on wood).

The seat does creak when I get out of the car, but other than that, it's tight!
    I felt the same way after a test drive.

I liked it more than the Mazda CX5 and Mazda3 2.5l we drove back-to-back-to-back.

Give the CVT a chance. I was pleasantly surprised.
  • runnerdogrunnerdog Member Posts: 3
    How many miles did you have on your 2012 Impreza when the mileage started to get better. I'm pretty unhappy with mine about now as the owner's manual indicated MPG would begin to approach the advertised MPG around 3,000 miles. It's there and I've seen no improvement, so I talked with the service people about it. They plugged it in, said everything is working exactly as it should, and that I should start to see some improvement by the time it hits 18,000 miles. That's just unacceptable. Is this REALLY normal for a Subaru, as the dealership is telling me? And if it is, shouldn't this be stated somewhere in the advertising that touts the (supposedly) great gas mileage these cars are supposed to get?
  • sgoldste01sgoldste01 Member Posts: 26
    The dealer should have told you to see how your MPGs are this upcoming summer. Here are some factors that might be working against you right now:
    • Winter gas doesn't store as much energy as summer gas because of the winter additives, so your car consumes more winter gas.
    • Your car runs less efficiently when the engine is cold, and it takes more time for the engine to warm up when it's cold outside. Many short trips exasperate this problem.
    • Both of the Defrost modes on your climate control knob make use of the air conditioning compressor (even though the A/C light doesn't turn on). If you commonly drive in the winter time in one of the Defrost modes, then that will wack a couple of MPGs off of your calculation. Try driving without using one of the Defrost modes whenever possible.
    • In many areas of the country, the supplied gas is E10 (10% ethanol). This causes approximately a 10% reduction in MPGs when compared to E0 gas. If you can find a gas station that sells E0, give it a try. You can bet that Subaru was running E0 when they did their EPA tests.
    Hope this helps.
  • kadingkading Member Posts: 7
    (new to this forum)

I researched on Consumer Reports and other sources before I bought my 2013 Impreza Sport Premium wagon in December so I knew that 26mpg was a more realistic number than the "ideal" 36mpg hway in the Subaru promotional literature.

I drive 60mi round trip work/home daily which is about 70% slow traffic/30% highway (NYC and suburbs). I can't say I'm thrilled that I'm averaging only 24.5mpg but I am already saving an average of 5gals/wk over the Toyota Sienna minivan that this car replaced. That's $850 annually assuming an avg of $3.40/gal by 50 weeks.

I also drove to Toronto and back two weeks ago and I averaged 27mpg on that mostly highway but very hilly route through upstate NY.

Also, don't forget that this is an extremely fun car to drive which, when coupled with my $$$ savings, is a win-win in my book. I drove home in the driving snow from the blizzard called "Nemo" last Friday night and it ate up the slippery mess on the Palisades Pkwy with no problems.

Ownership 6 weeks
    Total mileage 4125.3
    Total gallons fuel 179.87
    Total fuel cost $519.00
    Avg cost per gallon $3.408
    Avg mileage per gallon 24.584
    Avg # gallons per fill-up 12.63
    Avg # of days between fill-ups 3.77
    Avg # of miles between fill-ups 313.95
    # of fill-ups 16

Looking forward to the warmer months if it is true that the summer blend gas will net me more mpg.

Hope this is helpful to others.