Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,687
    :D

I thought that would help. Me, on the other hand..... :surprise:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    I get a little jealous when I am perusing the latest issue of my favorite car mag and I see that the new Audi S4, with AWD and a 333 HP SUPERCHARGED 3-LITER V-6 is rated at 18/27 mpg, which is the best my OBS with HALF THE POWER can muster......

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• 2005 WRX STI -- generally between 19-21 MPG depending on how much I am "on it" ;)
    to a friend this weekend, and when it came back the mpg-meter had dropped two full points, on a 50-mile drive. So I must be doing something right....

another 28 mpg reading....sigh (376 miles, just shy of 13.5 gallons)

This car is too much fun to drive fast, but I swear when I do I can actually SEE the gas gauge drop.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,237
    I've been in the 27s and 28s, since Daylight Savings Time... It's getting dark at 5:30 when I get off work, and the traffic home is a lot worse... :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Keep something in mind - 28mpg is closer to, say, 35 mpg, than 10 mpg is to 17mpg.

You get diminishing returns, basically.

28mpg is not bad at all. C4C replaced only vehicles that got 18 or less, so you're 10 over that qualification.
    Well, welcome to the club! :-P

juice: When you're used to getting 35 in a same-size vehicle, 28 mpg is still 25% more gas consumption. But the 35-mpg vehicle was a compromise in too many ways, and this 28-mpg vehicle is a lot less of a compromise, so I will try to live with the lousy fuel economy.

It is way beyond time for Subaru to start taking this seriously. Diesels, hybrids, all-electric, you name it but they need to get on it.

And the C4C standards were ridiculously low given that it is 2009 and global warming has been a known issue for well over a decade.

You're getting better mileage than I am in my Miata! LOL :D

Having said that, I'm all for improving efficiency. Let's see the CVT and the 31mpg highway the Legacy gets. Or a 6 speed manual.

Diesel is interesting but around me it cost more than premium fuel, so that alone erases half the savings.
    Let me help you feel a little better again. Last Saturday I filled up our Forester and put in 9.694 gallons after 170 miles. Yep; 17.537 mpg. :cry:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Wow, I DO feel better, thanks!

Wait...do you have a turbo? Mine is an OBS - no turbo.

• Wow, the numbers are so different for ex: 08-09 Impreza vs Legacy. I have an 08 Legacy auto my first highway trip w/ 200 miles on odometer was 33.5mpg. That's doing the calculations myself, not trip computer. This was not summer and I've even consistently had 32-33 on highway trip in winter w/ snow tires. Cruise set at 65mph at all times. City driving not so good though, avg. 22 mpg. in all weather. I'm wondering if I can still get good numbers w/ the 2010 Impreza 2.5 auto? I'm optimistic. I do agree, Subaru needs to make more fuel efficient vehicles. I've looked at others prius, versa, yaris,fit but they don't do anything for me. I'll take a hit for gas mileage, cause I love the fun of scoobie's. :)
    They're improving. Look at the EPA numbers for the 2010 Legacy 2.5i.

Not just EPA, either. In Consumer Reports both the 4 cylinder and H6 models actually got BETTER mileage than the similar Honda Accord. :shades:
  • I'm getting better mileage without the CVT in my 2008 Legacy. My concern that I see posted is with the Impreza mileage as I'm considering purchasing the 2010 model. Hoping to get equal or better than my Legacy.
    No; I wish! If they offered a manual version of the XT, I would have considered it.

The mileage on mine goes all over the place given the duality of our using it. It seems like it either sees extended periods of short trips (yielding poor mileage as cited above) or mostly highway driving with very little of the short trips / stop & go mixed in. I am in Palmer right now, and we averaged ~25.5 coming down from Fairbanks today. I think that is okay given the winter fuel blend and snowy/slushy roads we encountered over much of the 330 miles. This was driving mostly 65-70 save for curves and other prudent places to slow down. ;)
    Just to clarify, I can get 33-34 mpg on a highway trip too. The numbers I am reporting for my OBS are mixed suburban driving. I mostly don't sit in stop and go traffic as I don't commute in it, but apart from that it is used for lots of shorter trips and 65 mph driving on the freeway for 10 and 20 miles at a stretch.

The 5-speed OBS used to be rated 22/29 prior to the 2008 dumbing-down of the EPA ratings, and so I just assumed I would be able to average 29 mpg in this car in my normal driving, as that has always been the case in the past.

And I am close at 28, but no cigar. ;-)

OTOH, I DID make 29 mpg in the latest tank: 356 miles, 12.3 gallons. Now if only I could keep it up on a regular basis....

• rebel71rebel71 Posts: 87
    I've looked thorough all the postings and couldn't get an accurate idea of what the mpg's were. It's listed as 20 city/27hgwy. Could you please post separate city and hgwy miles. This is greatly appreciated! I'm trying to see if the Impreza is better than my 08 Legacy auto before I make the purchase. :)
    edited March 2010
    last night: 355 miles, 12.6 gallons. Just can't break those 28 blues. :-/

'09 OBS 5-speed

rebel: isn't it essentially the identical powertrain, except the new Impreza makes 5 more horses from the same engine? And the two models are within 100 pounds of each other weight-wise, and it's the same 4EAT you already have in your Legacy. Any improvements in mpg you experienced would be in the fractions of an mpg, I would think.

edited March 2010
    Really, given the driving conditions, your economy sounds pretty good. A close friend of mine just purchased a '10 Impreza 5-speed. She lives a ways "out in the country," so much of her drive is highway miles and her trips tend to be long (~30 miles or more one way). She said that her average fuel economy thus far (about 1500 miles on the car) is 30. I suspect that during the summer she may see as good as 34, but who knows?

I have been nursing my '10 Forester the last few days (since I got to fill it and drive it on consecutive trips) and it is reading 27 mpg after 70 miles. After the first trip upon the refill, when the engine was still warm, it was reading 31.9. Cold starts (when cold = 5 degrees!) really hammer the fuel economy, even when it is not allowed to idle! I would say the driving is, like yours, "suburban."
    75-80 mph on the highway will definitely kill your mileage in a stick-shift Impreza... All my 30 mpg tanks have been commuting to work, where the interstate speed limit is 55 (which means 60-70, mostly..).

When I get the chance to put real highway miles on it, where the speed limits are 65-70 (real speed 75-80), my mileage starts dropping quickly.. 27 mpg is about the best I can do at those speeds...

edited March 2010
    have made me feel better, so thanks! :-)

I rarely take it over 70, on the freeway I'm a speed limit guy exactly BECAUSE of the fuel economy gains that brings.

But I do have plenty of cold starts in each tank of gas, and I heartily agree that in this car (and I guess in most) they are a fuel economy killer, even during the warmer parts of the year.

My MPG readout always starts out like yours, xwesx: reading 32 or more after the first trip or two. But by the time 10 days have gone by and the tank is well below half full, it has dropped into the high 20s. :-(

And the dashboard readout is still reading 1.5 mpg too high. 29.4 is one of its favorite numbers, and the actual mpg is very reliably 28 on the nose.

Cold starts kill mileage. I have to fill up my Miata every 260 miles or so. :sick:
    Yes, I have always thought the Miata 2.0 was notably thirsty for such a small engine in such a light car.

It's not bad when it's warm out, but the extreme cold has killed my mileage.

I was getting 27-28mpg in the summer, though. Hope it warms up soon.

It's more like 24-25mpg now, plus it's a small gas tank so range sucks.
    to say my last tank was 27 mpg - 13 gallons, 355 miles - although the running average since new is still a bit higher, around 28. I find my attitude changing a bit now - since the mileage is going to suck no matter what I do, better to just drive it to enjoy it, rather than short-shifting everywhere and actively keeping the revs down, only to save a lousy $1 at fill-up time.

I love most other aspects of the car, but Subaru will never sell me another wagon unless it uses at least 25% less fuel than this one.

And yes, I'm still jealous of kyfdx's fuel economy in his - I just don't know how he does it! ;-)

'09 5-speed OBS, now at 12K miles.

I just don't know how he does it!

a) My car isn't fun to drive hard or fast, no matter what I do, so no temptation...

b) easy commute with speeds mostly between 55-65..

c) doesn't matter, because my lease is up in 3 weeks... :)

On the other hand, I find 26-30 mpg perfectly acceptable.. I drive around 15K/yr... The difference between 28 mpg and 34 mpg is less than 100 gallons of gas, per year... I'd give up the $20/mo. for something that I loved to drive... I don't love to drive the Subie, but I did get a killer lease deal, so it's been okay...

• I routinely get between 28-30 mpg with my 2007 5-speed. I don't spare the horses but rarely do much city driving. In 143,000 miles, I've never gotten better than 31 mpg and never worse than 27.
    My experience matches yours to a TEE. I can't do better than 31 no matter what I do, and it is rare to drop below 27 except once when I spent most of the tank puttering around town at low speeds on short trips.

Every tank falls in a very narrow range, with 28.5 mpg being the typical reading.

Mine is an '09 5-speed, OBS wagon.

• On a 200 mile trip yesterday I got 33 mpg with my 2012 Impreza Sport Prem 5 dr. CVT. Temps were about 25 degrees(F) and there was some idling in there too along with many stop lights. Car still under 1k miles, so not broken in yet so I'm trying to mix stop and go with highway miles.
  • mjasper92mjasper92 Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I have had my 2012 Impreza Limited for about two weeks, and have just over 1,000 miles. So far, I have yet to average under 30 PHG. When I drive for work, it's a 200 mile round trip, almost exclusively highway, at around 70 MPH. There are alot of hills, though none are too horrible.

So Far, I have had the following:
    402 miles, 13.3 gallons, 30.2 MPG
    320 miles, 9.2 gallons, 34.9 MPG
    264 miles, 8.7 gallons, 30.3 MPG

My wife drives the car on the weekends, and has a heavier foot than I do, plus she primarily drives city. the 34.9 MPG fuel up was exclusively my driving on highways.

I use cruise control for most of the daily trip, and have seen that the car's computer wants to say that I am averaging 2 MPG better than I actually am.