Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Lincoln MKX First Drive & Full Report

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
Our first drive will soon be published. Stay tuned to post your comments about the article here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    Tell us what you think!

First Drive: 2007 Lincoln MKX

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Terrible brakes, cheap (but really quiet) interior, ugly grille. And they didn't even mention the stoopid D-L shifter.

I can't fathom a reason to buy this car. The Ford is $5000 to $8000 cheaper, equipped the same, it looks much better from the front, though the Lincoln does look nicer from the rear and the powertrain is identical. Like MT said, "A Lincoln should be more than just an option package above a Ford".

The Lexus seems to be in no trouble with this 10 year late Mazda-based wannabe. When you gonna start building real Lincolns again, Lincoln?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    No excuse for the poor braking performance. That should be easy to fix with rotors and pads.

As for the price difference, I'd have a hard time justifying the extra cost since the Edge offers Nav and the Vista Roof and I like the Edge styling. It sounds like they priced down from the RX350 instead of up from the Edge. Since they're not trying to sell 100K of these it might work. If it does I say more power to them. The profits will get us that much closer to a new RWD platform for Lincoln.
  • Hmmm...The phrase "damning with faint praise" comes to mind. Heyjewel pretty well sums it up.

The subjective things like grille treatment, interior or exterior design I usually ignore. In the case of the MKX, I happen to like the grille and the exterior. I'm not so keen on the interior design. Since I see more of the interior behind the wheel, that might be enough of a turnoff.

As to interior build quality, I haven't seen the RX350, but if the interior is on par with the ES350, I can well believe the Lincoln's interior isn't up to snuff. It's probably close enough that the $3000 price difference mentioned in the article would induce me to buy it over the Lexus, though (that, and the fact that I'm going to resist the urge to join the Toyota/Lexus crowd).

Objectively, the braking distance is distressing. That might be a deal killer, over the Lexus.

All that said, I think the most significant statement comes at the end, when comparing it to the Edge. The MKX's nicer exterior isn't enough to offset the price difference there, and I would really have to be impressed with the ride quality and other intangibles of the Lincoln to buy it over the Ford.
  • Lincoln has been beuilding cars for decades upon decades. Isn't it about time they got it right? The MKX clearly will not make a clear impression on consumers in the market for a luxury crossover. Mediocre performance, quality, and value will not help Lincoln become any closer to closing the gap of its competition. Ford's complacency is why Ford Motor Co. and its brands are in this predicament. Much better has to be done; the competition is strong and Lincoln needs to be fierce to get anywhere near the top.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 357
    Sure they're shooting for the RX350, but given its price point, I'd compare it more with the Subaru Tribeca. Which, BTW, stops in 122ft, has great handling, an impressive AWD system, 3rd row seating, 5-star safety all around, a cool and well thought out interior, and a funny nose- which has the affect of making a great vehicle available well below invoice.
    Yeah, the Tribeca interior is kinda cool. But somebody oughtta 'blow' that nose. Eeeoooohh, that thing is one ugly honker.

How about comparing the Emm Kay Exx against the Pacifica? How does it measure up then? I'm just askin. A friend has one and it's quite a nice car.

After I wrote my reply this AM, I realized the same might be said about my Navigator. I mean that it's not that much different from the Expedition it is based on. But it is different enough in two important areas that made it worth the price difference for me - It has a more powerful engine and it has a beautiful interior. The Emm Kay Exx has the same drivetrain as the Edge and basically the same interior, just appointed a bit differently.
  • Even though the Lincoln uses plastic (like everybody else does now-a-days), it is my opinion that the Lexus is no better in its materials than the Lincoln. I have seen the vast improvements over the years for all of the big three auto manufactures, and I would have to say that in a side by side, I would buy the Lincoln over the Lexus due to a better price, the 6-speed auto and to give Ford a much needed sale.

Although I do realize that in this market nit-picking is important, the real world is based mostly on price and quality. That is where Ford will make or break this entry into the burgining crossover market.
  • it seems like a pretty nice ride for lincoln....but they could of did better instead of stopping short of the touchdown zone.....
  • drjamesdrjames Posts: 274
    I'm a little surprised to see Ford continuing to simply rebadge an existing Ford, change the grille and a few other comsmetics and sell it at a premium as a Lincoln.

for those who have commented that since it's cheaper than the RX350, it'd sway your decision. Well, why not save even more and get the Ford Edge?
    I'm not sure it's worth all of the extra cost over the Edge, but it is a lot more than a rebadge. The glass is thicker with more insulation making it a little quieter. The interior is a little nicer (carpet, dash, leather). You get cooled seats and different wheels/tires and suspension tuning plus a power liftgate and THX stereo.

Unfortunately, like the Zephyr before it, it debuts with the same drivetrain as it's Ford counterpart. It will be replaced with the 3.7L which will give it more differentiation.

Like I said - I'm not convinced that it's worth the $5K premium over the Edge, and I like the Edge styling. But it is quite a bit more than a rebadge job.
  • foxrunfoxrun Posts: 16
    OK OK the Lincoln might not EXACTLY measure up to the Lexus but is it fair to expect it to when it costs less? This review highlights where the Lincoln falls short of the Lexus but makes a fleeting reminder of Lincolns assets (overall cost, runs on lower octane, quiet ride, etc...). Yet when compared to the Edge it reminds us about how much it is the same but costs more to the point of making that the center of the article.

Come on guy.
  • I guess it's great timing that this comes out at a time that I am in the market for a mid-size Sux/crossover ute (whatever they are called).

I have to say I prefer this exterior style over the Lexus, even though they are so much similar, I actually like the grill on this one.

I'm trying to decide on which vehicle to go with. I'll probably stop in to a local Lexus dealer and take an extended look at the RX.

One of the drawbacks for that vehicle though is that everyone and their brother owns one. I'm not trying to be flashy, but I would like to get something that doesn't blend in amongst the others quite so easily.
  • actualsizeactualsize Santa Ana, CaliforniaPosts: 265
    ...take an extended look at the RX. One of the drawbacks for that vehicle though is that everyone and their brother owns one.

You must live in L.A. (310, left coast. I get it.) Now if you lived in Detroit (313tocenter?), the RX would be the rare bird. ;)

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• You must live in L.A. (310, left coast. I get it.) Now if you lived in Detroit (313tocenter?), the RX would be the rare bird.

Actually I live in NC. Asheville to be exact, I'm originally from Boston though. The 310toLeft is a reference to the left-field dimension of Fenway Park.

Down here you can't spit without hitting an RX model.
    Hi 310toleft, I own a RX, and must admit, they are common. However, there's a reason for this.... they are simply that good at everything it does. May not be great in some areas, but never falters in them either.

That said, I've always admired and would recommend you try the FX350 aswell if you can live with a little less interior space. They're a blast to drive and in my opinion, styled very differently the the rest.
  • That said, I've always admired and would recommend you try the FX350 aswell if you can live with a little less interior space. They're a blast to drive and in my opinion, styled very differently the the rest.

Thanks Drjames. The more research I've been doing it looks like I might wind up going with the RX.

I took an FX350 for a spin on Friday, and although the drive was great, I'm really not fond of the exterior design. A little too much like a station wagon for my taste.

Thanks again.
    FX350? how in the world did this get to a comparison of a car that is $5000 more? People keep things in its proper perspective. The MKX is a great ENTRY level luxury CUV and these type of people are still price sensitive.

Think about it a little guys the MKX is quieter, smoother(MKX has a 6 speed transmision while both FX350 & RX330 have 5 speeds) and cheaper in price as well as cost in gas (needs only regular 87 octane to get 265 hp while both FX & RX need ultra premium for thier hp ratings.

All this adds up for any person who wants to pose that their rich, and lets face it any car in the $40-$50,000 range is no longer a "rich" mans car.
    "FX350? how in the world did this get to a comparison of a car that is $5000 more? People keep things in its proper perspective. The MKX is a great ENTRY level luxury CUV and these type of people are still price sensitive."

Might want to check your figures again. The FWD MKX base is $34,795 and the AWD MKX base is $36,445. Whereas the FWD FX350 base starts at $37,800 and AWD FX350 base starts at $39,300. Not quite $5000 dollars and exactly in line with the price of the RX350, which if you didn't know is who Lincoln IS comparing their MKX with.
    Glad you have an OPINION on price but I got it directly from Yahoo the MKX was just over $35,000 and the FX35 just under $40,000. Granted not exactly $5000 but not YOUR strategically bumped up and down prices either.
  • There is no such thing as a front wheel drive FX35. Also, the driving dynamics of the FX35 make it more comparable to a Porsche Cayenne, or a BMW X3. Comparing that to the Lincoln is ridiculous. Completely different mission statement for each vehicle.
  • I negotiated my wife's FX35 for 35k and change. You can guarantee that Ford will hit the MKX with a bunch of incentives and rebates eventualy so I bet you will be able to get it for pretty close to 30k real soon.
    lol, you're funny. That's right, I contacted Infiniti.com USA and Edmunds.com, and had them "strategically bump" the prices up and down for me so you could be wrong. lol, which btw... you still are, lol.
    You're a real riot.

Like anyone should listen to anything you say after you quoted a price on a "FWD FX350"? Get a clue.
  • "FWD FX350"
    I'm still trying to figure out that one.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,974
    Enough - we have a MKX Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion started up, so please go there and toss around the real numbers.

Meanwhile, let's get back to what the editors said about the SUV eh? You know, the topic? :surprise:

thanks!

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

It's called a typo. lol. But the prices are correct. That said, we can continue this discussion in the thread suggested by our host.
  • How does Ford expect people to pay $9,000 more for the MKX over the Edge? I don't get it.
    Edmunds.com: MKX: $34,000
    Edge: $25,000
    Similarly equipped, the difference is only $5K. I think they priced the MKX against the RX350 (it's $3K less) and since they're only trying to sell around 30K/yr it might work.

The Edge is less than the Murano so maybe it's underpriced.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The mkZ and the mkX DO NOT have the same powertrain.

they may share an engine, but the MKZ still uses the Aisin tranny.

The Edge uses the new 6F tranny developed by Ford and GM.

I have driven both vehicles and the MKX is MUCH smoother shifting than the MKZ. It feels just like a CVT it is so smooth.

Mark.
This discussion has been closed.