Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle News and Views

kjnormankjnorman Posts: 243
edited April 2 in Ford
Okay, the first point is to the HOSTS. Ever since you closed down the general thread for the Freestyle I feel kind of lost as there is no longer a general discussion thread for this vehicle. So I do not know where to put this thread so I am creating a discussion....

I was just reading this month's (December) Motor Trend and on page 18 there is an article on Ford's Fast Forward.

Now we all know what a bastion of reliability Motor Trend is with their accuracy so treat this as you will. It states and I quote:

Ford D471. Development started with the Fairlane concept from Detroit 2005, although the production model won't get that historic nameplate. Based on the front wheel Volvo S80 (Ford Five Hundred) architechure, it essentially replaces the Freestar minivan and will overlap with the Freestyle for about a year before that car is retired from the lineup. Styling is said to be much changed from the concept. Model Year 2009.

So if this is true and the new minivan/crossover "fairlane" is introduced towards the end of 2008 as a 2009, then the Freestyle may not get to see a 2010 model year.

Discuss!

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    So I do not know where to put this thread so I am creating a discussion....

You did good! I am tempted to change the title to something like "Freestyle: News and Views" to make it somewhat more general. We do have a "Freestyle: Meet the members" discussion but no one seems to have jumped into that one.

tidester, host
  • kjnormankjnorman Posts: 243
    I would be happy with you changing the title of this thread to News and Views.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Done!

tidester, host
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Last I heard, the Fairlane WILL NOT use the Volvo platform but will use a version of the Fusion platform which should make it less expensive than the Freestyle.

Mark.
  • Less expensive? The Edge is based on the Fusion (Mazda6) and its more expensive than a Freestyle. I also heard the Fairlane concept was built off the Fusion, but thats just a concept car. Maybe they indeed will take advantage of the Freestyle (Volvo) chassis. It would be easier to make a 3rd row seat vehicle using the current Freestyle chassis than the Edge (Fusion) chassis. Anyway, this means the Freestyle name will last 5 model years. I wonder if the Mercury version of the Freestyle will happen?
    My take on it is that the "world and its wife" will be coming out with 6/7 seat (full seat for adults) cross overs (sport wagons on steroids) over the next few years. This will be the next hot segment.

In that time the Freestyle will be hopelessly outclassed. It sounds like Ford will replace the Freestyle and the decrepid Freestar with (hopefully) an edgier sport van with normal doors.

I guess we will see in a few years time. My only wonder is what will the end of the Freestyle do for my residues on my 2005 Limited....
    The least expensive 2007 Freestyle at my dealership is a 2007 Freestyle SEL FWD with MSRP of $27,005.00. So yes, Edge is Cheaper than a Freestyle.

Mark.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    Ah, the Freestyle ramblings thread is back! The last image I saw of the Fairlane was several months ago and man it is ugly! And I thought the Honda Element looked bad. American car styles will never go back to the sensual days of the late 50's and early 60's but please, how long is this quasi futuristic look going to last? I bought my Freestyle because I thought it was a pretty good looking car in addition to all its other features. My plan is to keep my Freestyle for 5 or 6 more years. Hopefully all the systems will last that long. I like the look of the Edge. I'm going to check one out next Monday when I go in for recall service. My hope is that there's a hybrid Edge when I buy again.
  • I had to check it out. The Freestyle & Edge are almost identical in price range: 2007 Freestyle MSRP prices range from $25,545 - $30,680 (edmunds.com) across all models, vs. Edge's range of $25,320 - $30,720. Practically the same. (I paid $22,300 for an '05 SE model 1.3 years ago, incidentally, during some good discounting.)
  • Well, it sounds like (Motor Trend, above) that the Freestyle will essentially evolve into the Fairlane (not called the Fairlane, though, when it comes out). Its 3 years away. Who is to say if Motor Trend is sure about this.
    Yep, most of the motoring rags are pretty bad when it comes to future model forecasts. Remember the days when it was speculated that the Freestyle would not even make it into 2007? However, the tone of this article appeared to have more weight behind it, and I have to admit that it would be a logical move by Ford.
    Freestyle is on the Volvo platform.
    Fairlane or whatever it gets called will not be. it will be on the fusion/edge platform.

Mark.
  • The "foxrun" person, who works at Ford where they will build the Fairlane, can clarify it (an insider):
    Edge/Fairlane Common Platform
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    The "Fairlane" or D471 will be built on the D3 platform, which was developed by Ford with Volvo's help. It is based on the P2 Volvo platform which uses some aluminum components. The D3 architecture is all steel to make it cheaper to make. The Fusion platform's wheelbase was already stretched 4" to make the Edge (111"). The D3 was already designed for larger wheelbases like the S80 (111"). Stretching it 4" would make the wheelbase of the D471, which would make it longer than all it's competitors, except the GM's Lambda models that have a 118" wheelbase.
    SOLID FOUNDATION

The Ford Fairlane concept rides on an all-wheel drive version of the company's mid-size CD3 architecture, with fully independent front and rear suspensions. The Fairlane is the first CD3-based people-mover concept, demonstrating the architecture's flexibility next to its production mid-size-sedan cousins – the 2006 Ford Fusion and Lincoln Zephyr.

This architecture will eventually be the basis for up to ten unique vehicles in North America and approximately 800,000 vehicles annually over time.

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1235&press_subsec- tion_id=421&make_id=92

Mark.
  • arumage,
    Does the Freestyle have the high-boron HSS (high strength steel) of the XC-90? I'm not sure myself, but I don't think the boron made it into the Freestyle, although the safety cage around the passengers does contain a good HSS grade of its own. Do you know what Ford did there?
    according to safercar.gov, NHTSA rated the Freestyle WITHOUT the then optional side airbags as 5stars in side impact...

To date, Freestyle/Five Hundred/Montego are the only vehicles rated 5stars that were tested WITHOUT side airbags.

Now for 07 the side airbags are STANDARD.

Mark.
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    I don't think so. From my understanding, the Volvo used the high-boron HSS in the roof and pillars of the XC-90 to make it safer in a rollover situation. The XC-90 sits up quite a bit higher than the Freestyle so it's a bit more of a rollover risk.
  • Talk about roll-over risk. I've seen so many SUVs rolled over its incredible. People who think the rollover risk is nothing should wake up and smell the statistics.
    You personally drive to accident scenes? or are these visions?

Mark
This discussion has been closed.