Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments: 2007 Chevy Silverado Full Test

Check out our 2007 Silverado full test! Agree or disagree? Post your comments here!

Full Test: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• What an ignorant, gratuitous comment and one utterly lacking in originality.

"Hey, I know! Rednecks drive pickups. I'll be such the snarky little chap and go with the phrase 'redneck Christmas.'"

Seriously, y'all are better than that.
  • That's like describing the Toyota Prius options list as having "more choices than a homosexual in a San Francisco bath house." But middle America is fair game, as always.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I like the Silverado alot. I however sense a over hype on the new Tundra, as every car magazine, site, jump back on the Toyota bandwagon. :sick:

Rocky
  • What is up with Chevy using four speed automatics on all new vehicles when everyone else has five or is planning on updating five or more. tranny speeds? More speeds = better economy and use of power.Duh! Dang, I'm so tired so seeing that! Just like rear drum brakes. Has anyone ever watched someone put drum brakes back together after service ? Whew! Chevy had a chance and is still cutting corners!
  • However, regarding the truck, the mpg is very disappointing.Also, with f-150 xlt 4x4s going for $25k, the pricing on the Silverado is out of whack....new generation or not. Bring on the incentives GM, and get the sales ball rolling before the Tundra shows up!
  • I've personally owned multiple late-model Silverado/Sierra 1500s with both disk and drum brakes and, in my experience, the rear drum brakes are far superior. Since their main (only?) job is to slow/stop a moving truck, I can't imagine how this is a step backwards.

As for servicing drum vs disk brakes. Brake shoes typically cost less than pads, are no harder to install, especially in the rear where the emergency brake, no matter how it's implemented, becomes over-complicated on disk-brake setups. On top of all this, drum brakes, by design, shelter the critical moving parts from salt/sand/road debris kicked up by the front wheels.
  • GM will be implementing a six speed in either MY08 or MY09. I believe they will also have a six speed hybrid for MY08 or MY09 that is supposed to get 25+ on the highway.
  • I had a 1996 Chevy silverado for a about 8 years. I replace the front pads about every 35 to 40,000 miles. I finally had to replace the read drums at 100,000. They still had plenty of pad but they were starting to fall apart.

During the last model year 1999-2006 Chevrolet put drum and disc breaks on the silverado. Why did they change back?
  • I get the impression from the chevy website that only 4 door models are being currently offered.Is that a correct impression or am I a bad website navigator? :confuse: :confuse:
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    Anyone notice that the new Silverado doesn't have a lockable tailgate, but the GMC does? (At least all of the ones I have seen so far.

Must be something to the old saying that the difference between a Chevy & a GMC is that they use lockwashers on a GMC!!

For years I never could understand why GM couldn't have a locking handle on the Silverado/Sierra trucks-just use a driver's door handle assembly! Something so simple and they didn't do it.

All I've seen so far is the crew cabs, but other variations
    will follow.
  • Both the Silverado and Sierra have the locking tailgate. It is an option (EZ - lift tailgate).

They just began building the ext. and reg. cabs last week. So it will be a little while before they hit the dealers.
    Well, the 4 new Silverado's I saw did not have the locking tailgate handle, but the 3 GMC's did. I didn't see it as an option on the sticker-maybe I missed it.

A locking tailgate shouldn't be an option, but standard.

Didn't see any with the EZ-lift tailgate. I did notice the GMC's have that stupid plastic tailgate "spoiler" protector-just what anyone who puts a hardcover or cap needs is to remove it-who designs this stuff?

I do like the idea of the rear seat design of the new crew cab, where the seat bottom folds up against the seat back, rather than in the previous trucks where the seat bottom folded forward. New design should offer more storage room.
  • Check the Chevy website. You'll see the option. See...EZ Lift Tailgate Package includes lockable, EZ Lift tailgate

My friend has a hard tonneau cover and didn't need to remove the "spoiler". Also, you should be able to buy one from your local dealer.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    "where the seat bottom folded forward"

How did you get it to do that?
    "where the seat bottom folded forward"

How did you get it to do that?

On my '06 Crew cab, the seat bottom rotates forward and rests against the back of the front seats.

In the new '07's the seat bottom rotates up against the seat back like the rear seat in an extended cab.

On that "optional" tailgate lock/EZ lift, shouldn't this be STANDARD for a truck today? How long has the competition had the lockable tailgate?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Dodge Rams don't have locking tailgates.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Just seems such a simple thing. They'll put a lock on the spare tire, but not the t.gate. Guess I overlooked the Dodge as I've never considered buying a Dodge.
  • My 2007 Chevy Silverado has 7150 miles. Today, the Reduced Engine Power light came on when starting it. The engine was rough so I turned it off, waited a few minutes, then it started correctly.

The engine emblem on dash stayed lit and on constantly...not blinking.

I love my truck! I have a seven year warranty. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?

Thank you in advance!

Trish :cry:
  • Hi Trish,

We bought our 2007 Silverado in May and it's been in the shop for three months ied in total over 4 incidents of Reduced Power. The last incident almost put me over an embankment because I lost steering and brake power.

Are you still having problems with yours? If so, stop driving it because it is dangerous. Do you have On Star? We had On Star run engine diagnostics each time and three out of four times it showed a problem.

I love the Silverado truck too but I'm not willing to drive something that isn't safe. An Engineer came out from Head Office and said to replace our truck with a new one and then HO over turned that decision.

I've been happy with our dealership but GMAC could take lessions from them. Disappointing considering we had a GM before buying this one and also have a 2007 HHR. We were/are happy with them but when I needed GM in times of trouble, they let me down.

If anyone else has experienced a Reduced Power problem, I'd love to hear about it.

Mich
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Hi Mich:

My problem was solved when I removed my gas cap, put it back on correctly, and tightened it. It was not sealed properly when I put gas in and drove for awhile. The reduced engine power message went away. Fortunately, it has not happened again.

I hope this will help your problem as well.

Trish
    Southern California