Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments: 2007 Chevy Silverado Full Test

2»

Comments

• Did you ever get this solved. I have a 2007 Silverado and the reduced power light came on and my truck died. Let it sit for 3 minutes and it starts again the just does this over and over. It has been at the dealer for a week and they cannot solve this. The truck has 600 miles on it.
  • Need an answer why the reduced power light comes on and my 2007 Silverado dies. Chevy scratching their heads. Truck has 600 miles been in the shop for a week.
  • Yes, the problem is resolved. The first mechanic I talked to said he thought rats may have gnawed away at some wiring! Really. :o)

You know how it is better to crash with a full tank of gas versus a partially full tank? Reason being that the fumes cause the explosion with a partially full tank. It's a sort of compression.

When my gas cap was not sealing properly, this caused a leak of sorts (fumes released) in the gas tank. My engine was not getting the gasoline it needed to run properly. I had the same experience you did....starts...then stalls.

After taking off the gas cap, then putting it on properly, I let the truck sit overnight. In the morning, it started with no problem, and has never happened again. I make it a point to screw the cap on right, each time I get gas.
  • Not yet, has been in the shop since July 24th--paying for a truck I don't have. You might try what Trish suggests.

I'm a little leery to drive it though since I nearly went off an embankment with it when the brakes and the steering failed. An engineer from HO has been out, can't find the problem but knows there is one because Onstar found it 3 times. Onstar identified it as a default with the throttle box so that was replaced. Happened again and GM replaced the computer, the next time it happened they replaced the harness and now have done that again. It has been mysteriously quiet on the GM side.

We were told we'd get a replacement truck. A couple of days later they had changed their story based on "new information".

What are they telling you?
  • Thanks Trish,

If I get it back I will definitely check the gas cap! What a lark that would be after 3 months of agony--maybe they'll recall the gas caps. ;)
  • Did you get an answer? Need an answer why the reduced power light comes on and my 2007 Silverado dies. It then starts one min later runs for 2-3 the turns off again. Just keeps repeating this. Chevy scratching their heads. Truck has 600 miles been in the shop for a week. The dealer just ordered a new ECM for my truck waiting to see if this fixes the problem.
  • Sorry, no answer from GM as to what the problem is--it is the same as yours although our truck hasn't always started up right away. They are scratching their heads with mine as well.

So,GM has no idea what is wrong with it. They are guessing and have admitted as much. But, they aren't willing to replace the truck. Instead, they want me to take it back after they have run it through 1000 kms--to see if they can replicate the problem, of which they never have been able to do. And considering I live in area built on hills, I'm not willing to take back this obvious saftety risk. What if it stalls while pulling out onto our busy highway or dies while driving through a mountain pass with cliffs or rock walls to land in/on?

I don't know where you are but you need to call GM customer service to issue a complaint and ask to go directly to the Management Team because it's an issue beyond the normal customer service stuff. If you live in the States there are Lemon Laws to help you out--do a Google search. In Canada there is the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan--it's free but only applies to personally owned vehicles--in other words, no company vehicles qualify. If it's a company car talk to them anyway and they'll steer you in the right direction. (no punn intended.)

Whats an ECM? Computer? It didn't work for my truck.

Let me know how things are going and I'll keep you updated on this end.

Good luck.
  • Chey replaced two modules one for fuel injectors part FPCM(SPO 025854536) and ECM (SPO 012597121) and my Silverado is running fine. Just picked it up. I think my dealer found the prob and fixed it. Hope this info helps!
  • Chey replaced two modules one for fuel injectors part FPCM(SPO 025854536) and ECM (SPO 012597121) and my Silverado is running fine. Just picked it up. I think my dealer found the prob and fixed it.
  • ECM = electronic control module. Yes, it's a computer "brain" that operates the engine, etc. Every modern car has one.

1offroader
  • You have to chg both because they ECM shorts the other module. Chey replaced two modules one for fuel injectors part FPCM(SPO 025854536) and ECM (SPO 012597121) and my Silverado is running fine. Just picked it up. I think my dealer found the prob and fixed it. Hope this info helps!
  • Excellent! So glad you're up and running. Thank you for sharing this information. I am keeping this info in my owner's manual, and am in hopes I never need to use it. ;)

Trish
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,069
    I think the reason the 4 speed tranny is still in service is one it is a very serviceable tranny. It does the job well, although you are correct, a 5 or 6 speed tranny would be a little more efficient. Two, GM is planning on phasing in a new tranmission but their abilitiy to build them in the quantities needed isn't there. They are putting them in the Denalie and Escallade however....
  • bjn57bjn57 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado - the oil filter recently blow off - we replaced it, checking to make sure the old gasket wasn't stuck on and the new filter blew off again. What would be causing this?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Defective filter, bad install, stripped threads.
  • Nobody knows what is wrong with your truck or mine. I am doing the kabucki dance now with my dealer for the same problem. The first fix was the cold air kit. The second fix at 21,000 miles was change the MAP sensor. The third fix (27000 miles) was the same as the second fix (definition of insanity here??) change the MAP sensor. When I questioned the dealer about doing this again they said "just drive it and see if the code comes back". Glad to know that Root Cause Analysis is not alive and kicking!!! I could not get over 20 on the expressway today because of this and almost was taken out by a log truck at 60 MPH. Besides POS Root Cause Analysis it also looks like safety doesn't matter at GM. You can find this problem mentioned all over the web.
  • mich7mich7 Posts: 5
    If you have On Star, get them to do an engine report when the problem happens. I went straight to the top, GMAC and demanded they do something or I'd sue them for endangering my life and that of my family. They sent an engineer from back East to here in BC. Replaced the harnessing twice. The second time was the charm. We didn't have a problem after hat. Luckily it was a business lease so when it was up in May we gave the truck back!
    hmmm...I'm sure the media would love a story like your right about now since GM advertising is all about safety and fuel consumption right now. Start a facebook page. :)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    Jkinsella,
    What type of vehicle do you own? Have you tried taking your vehicle to a different dealer? I look forward to your response!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
2»