Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazdaspeed test drives

Comments

• bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    I dont have the Speed 3 just a regular GT 3. That having been said i installed a K&N Typhoon intake on my 07 a lil while after i bought it. If you plan to have it installed before the warranty is up i would get the mazda intake and have mazda install it so there are no warranty issues. Mine was a bit of a pain in the butt to install, but i have done many of them before so i wasnt too worried.
  • elgaspoelgaspo Posts: 2
    Thanx for answering, bigfur, preciate the input. 1 quick Q: did you have any problems w/ fault codes showing up in the computer and/or rough start/idle? i heard that's a recurring issue, esp. if the filter is too heavily oiled...
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    all tree hugging aside, does being a republican mean you don't have to care about trees? or do you just not car about the environment.

Just curious.
  • smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    I'm a registered republican, I've planted about 150 trees at the 4 homes I've owned. My cars together ave about 30 mpg. The earth started a warming cycle about 15,000 years ago when the ice age ended (the glaciers were all the way down to Kansas) & that trend is ongoing. Car fumes did not cause the end of the ice age.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    The earth started a warming cycle about 15,000 years ago when the ice age ended (the glaciers were all the way down to Kansas) & that trend is ongoing. Car fumes did not cause the end of the ice age.

true, but its been proven that car fumes and MANY other things certainly have not helped.

My comment was in response to his, what i consider, pretty blantant post of 'i'm a dyed in the wools republican, i could car less about trees.' i just thought it funny that he would group all republicans together like that. You have proven him wrong. Thanks! :)
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Nope havent had an issue. Biggest thing i make sure to do is let the filter dry for a couple of hours, sometimes over night to make sure no loose oil gets in the sensors. I leave it sitting upright in my wash tub to make sure its totally dry. Biggest thing is the instructions tell you that when the element turns red to stop spraying that area, so no need to go over it again.
    The major greenhouse gas is water vapor, CO2 is insignificant compared to that....I say let's get get rid of all this water. You suppose when the sun's energy output starts to diminish (& it will someday), Gore will encourage us to burn more fossil fuel to heat the planet up?
  • cholincholin Posts: 1
    I got mine, 20.5K plus 450 dealer fee for the basic one and I love it.
    What kinda MPG you getting so far?
  • We just bought a MS3GT from a dealer in that Zipcode. We had a choice of Sport or Gt at a $1,500 discount from sticker. We phoned; we talked; we traveled; we bought, and we're glad that we did. The entire experience was very professional. Over the last six weeks of looking, our local dealers wanted sticker (or told us other dealers were asking a premium), or gave discounts from $500 to $635. Also, we had driven VW's GTI and Audi's A3 before driving the MS3.
  • jrbjrjrbjr Posts: 3
    My wife is getting about 23 MPG on her daily commute on congested, stop/go surface streets and freeways. We haven't taken the MS3 on a long open freeway drive yet, but when we do, I expect we'll be getting about 28 MPG.
    Thanks ! How far did you drive to get there...? Did you talk trade-in value over the phone...?
    Those are very acceptable #s considering performance potential..thanks!!
  • 23109vc23109vc Posts: 218
    i am in the market for a small fun somewhat practical car. I already have a large family SUV for family trips. I have thrree small children and *sometimes* I take/pickup one or two at school...so an MS3 or RX8 would fit my needs.

i test drove the 8 and while it was nto the fastest car i've ever driven...i got to take it on some twisty road sections and WOW. it was VERY much like a boxster I have driven before. i was very impressed with the handling, the high redline, and the FUN factor. total blast to drive.

for those of you who have driven BOTH the MS3 and RX8....which is more FUN.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "for those of you who have driven BOTH the MS3 and RX8....which is more FUN."

Define "FUN".

My point is that what I, or you, or any number of other folks will think is "fun" (or, which is more "fun") is completely subjective.

My advice - find a dealer with both RX8's and Speed3's on the lot and do back to back test drives. The 8 will excel in handling over the Speed3 (simply due, IMO, to it's RWD layout). But the Speed3 will be better from a shear grunt (torque - woo hoo!!) aspect.

Which is more 'fun' is ultimately up to the potential buyer. Go have fun..... ;)
  • 1320mlx1320mlx Posts: 1
    I just bought a black Speed 3 GT with Nav for $99 over invoice. The first dealer wanted $4k over MSRP and wouldn't honor S-Plan. So I drove 15 miles down the road to the next dealer and they were willing to sell it for the S-Plan price.
    So how much below sticker was that? I spoke to a guy yesterday that had a test drive, he called it herky-jerky...is that just a matter of getting used to the vehicle?
  • mrsermrser Posts: 9
    I've had two test drives on the MS3. I loved the responsivness of the steering. It's "go kart like", which suits me fine.
    Two questions:
    1)I would "assume" they'll continue making this car as a limited production vehicle in '08. Can anyone confirm?
    (my lease on my current ride isn't up until 1/25/08)
    2) Why is the hood so heavy on this car? Crash test purposes?
  • stallionrestallionre Posts: 205
    Good Job!! Now that is a deal. ;)
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "2) Why is the hood so heavy on this car? Crash test purposes?"

The Speed3 has a top mounted intercooler (sitting on top of the engine). It doesn't make much sense to simply suck up hot air from the engine compartment to run through the intercooler. The inside of the hood incorporates some ductwork that takes cool air coming in though the grill and routes it through the ducts to the intercooler. The inside of the hood is also supposed to seal against the top of the intercooler with the hood closed.

This way, the engine can get (somewhat) cool air without resorting to a hood scoop like the WRX (btw - I'm not saying that the Mazda method for getting cool air is as efficient; just why the hood is heavier than a standard Mazda3 hood).
This discussion has been closed.