Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazdaspeed test drives

12345679»

Comments

• punkr77punkr77 Posts: 183
    Test drove a Mazda3 and Speed3 this weekend. My wife and I weren't very impressed with the Mazda3. Didn't feel sporty compared to the Civic Si and Sentra SE-R. No oomph, even when revved hard.

The Speed3 impressed me a lot. Really quick, felt like a totally different car. The only two complaints we really had were the weak A/C (never got cool on a 98 degree day) and the bland interior. No available sunroof was a hangup,too. We probably would have bought the Speed3 if it weren't for the snotty attitiude of the salesperson and sales manager and the $2000 ADM. My experience has been that if the sales team are jerks, the service team is, too. Big deal breaker since there's only one Mazda dealer within 60 miles of us.

We'll probably go with the civic or sentra since we can pay cash for them, then pick up a 350Z or WRX STI in a year or two for a real "fun" second car.
  • missyc1missyc1 Posts: 17
    See now I think the Mazda3 definatly has the more sporty and better quality interior then the Civic does. The thing I hate the most on the Civic is the dash layout (the speed odometer on the dash) and that sliding plastic cover thingy for the center console. That will break in no time and look like crap from the dust getting all stuck in it. The Civic Si is a cool car, but when I took it out I now why the dealer immediately turned the music on before I drove it. It's really loud inside the car with no music on. But they make it loud on purpose after I read the specs. I found that out. Also, you have to put PREMIUM gas in it, which the dealer failed to tell me.

I love my new Mazda3. I get tons of compliments on it and the color is a head turner! :P
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,855
    We drove up to Cincinnati yesterday and checked out a Mazdaspeed3(the Louisville dealers didn't have any in stock). It turns out that the dealer- Kings Mazda- had just sold the exact car I was interested in- a True Red GT with NO options. However, I was able to test drive a MS3 in Deadly Dull Silver. The salesman was great- a true car nut, he even encouraged me to wind it out. FWIW, they are selling them at MSRP+@$275. For anyone interested, Kings is getting another Red GT in a couple of weeks, but I won't be buying it. The MS3 is a nice and solid little pocket rocket, and my wife and son loved it, but it just didn't light my fire. Too bad really, I was really hoping I'd found my next car. Oh well...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    The thing I hate the most on the Civic is the dash layout (the speed odometer on the dash) and that sliding plastic cover thingy for the center console. That will break in no time and look like crap from the dust getting all stuck in it. The Civic Si is a cool car, but when I took it out I now why the dealer immediately turned the music on before I drove it.

to each his own. i love the civics dash. the interior is MEANT to be loud, just like it is in the gti AND mazdaspeed3.

The sliding platic thingy on the civic is no dust trap, and i don't think it looks 'cheap'.

you have to put premium gas in pretty a lot of the sporty compacts nowadays.
  • 23109vc23109vc Posts: 218
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete
    I am torn between these two cars. I like the power of the MS3, and the fact that you *could* fit three people in the back. Price of MS3 is great for what you get.

I test drove an 8 and was blown away with how it cornered, and how it took the twisties. The RX8 seems more sporty - it's RWD, has a great shifter, and looks more agressive when fitted with the appearance package/body kit.

for those of you who have had a chance to test drive them back to back - what were your thoughts or observations?

the RX8 only fits two in the back, and I might need to fit more than 2 people in the back of my next car...so I'm reluctant to get an 8, not to mention bad MPG and reliability issues...but it was so much fun.

you guys think a MS3 would outrun an RX8 on a twisty backgrod...or would the RX8 just walk awawy from teh MS3...in a straight line the MS3 would outrun an 8...but what about in the twisties???
  • blitzebillblitzebill Posts: 25
    i just bought a habanero red civic si sedan...it flies, i like the way the dash is divided and it does not hinder my ability to see the tach and speedo at the same time...

the black interior is cool lookin', audio system is great...

and using premium fuel improves gas mileage...i'm getting in the 30s and it has only 360 miles on it, and i DO rev the tach before shifting...

i get people looking at it everywhere...
  • nagatahawknagatahawk Posts: 12
    I test drove the Civic 4d si, and the speed 3 and the mini s
    among others. the mini was the most impressive of the three, but on the small side. I need a car to throw may rc equipment or my bike. Maybe with the front wheel off...

the civic drove like most hondas, however the revs did not drop between shifts. that was annoying because the high revs caused the car to lurge forward. It was a turn off. I've heard there is fix for this. I hope so.

I loved the styling of the Speed 3 and it had lots of room in the back. and lotsa power, the power cause the car to pull even at low throttle applications. loved the power.
    I've heard people complain about the shifting. They should drive my BMW 325i manual with rubbery stock shifter. after coming from that the speed 3 shifted like a champ.

the mini was perfect, shifted like a breeze, good low end torque, cornered like a champ. hated the chrome speedo the size of your head. I'll have to check to see if my bike will fit inside.

I have 6 more months to make up my mind. my lease ends in Jan 08.

btw I tested the Audi 3 loved the DSG. Hated the sales man.
    He seemed nice enough at first, but when he called me back. I couldn't get him off the line and he would not come down the the price.

funny how the littlest annoying things can turn u off to buying a car.

I may have to retest the MS3 later or wait for the 2008s.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    you should check out the gti 4 door, it has the same engine, suspension and dsg as the a3 and its cheaper.

unless you prefer the styling of the a3 and some content, i guess you will still need to consider the mini and ms3
  • I've test driven them all and will probably test the volvo c30.
    I will be purchasing next year. so far I like the styling and the utility of the MS3, it torgue steers a little. the A3 doesn't look right. it's to long and narrow. and ths salesman became annoying. the mini is a great car, too small for me, I have two bikes.
    Don't believe the magezines about the 08 wrx. this cars can out handle all the above. and no it does not understeer. susp. is soft similar to my BMW 325i. but awd is amazing. uterly amazing.

I you like the MS3 don't get frenetica about being refused a test ride, stocks are low. and they can get premium for the car right now. Like everyone says look for another dealer. Unless you have to purchase a car today, just keep looking, I have. Time is on our side. :shades:
  • Hey, I am very interested in purchasing the new Mazdaspeed 3. I've realized though that it comes with 18 inch summer tires. Does anyone know if you can purchase all season tires for this car, and if so where? I think they only way to drive the car in the winter would be to buy winter tires for the car, which would be an unfortunate pain. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,855
    Does anyone know if you can purchase all season tires for this car, and if so where?

The Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S is available in the 215/45ZR18 size. Tire Rack has them for $131 each. Mazda calls for a Y speed rated tire, but a Z rated tire should suffice unless you intend to track the car. I don't plan to drive my MS3 in icy/snowy conditions, but if I did I would buy a set of winter tires mounted on aftermarket wheels. It only takes @45 minutes to swap them over, and the increased capability in the nasty stuff is well worth the trouble, IMHO.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    Hey, I am very interested in purchasing the new Mazdaspeed 3. I've realized though that it comes with 18 inch summer tires. Does anyone know if you can purchase all season tires for this car, and if so where? I think they only way to drive the car in the winter would be to buy winter tires for the car, which would be an unfortunate pain. Any input would be helpful.

A friend of mine is a Mazda salesman and while we usually hang out and watch Top Gear when he's not busy and I have some free time. I have thought about trading in my WRX on the Speed3. Bottom line, if you want it you will NEED snows if you live in Upper mass or New hampshire or any of the snowbelt areas. I run Nokian WR's on the WRX for winter basically that's November to early May. No idea what I would have to run on a Speed3 but maybe Nokian RSi's since it has all that torque. I don't think you will need anything but Nokian WR's unless you are upstate New York, or upper NH or Maine. They are a great all season tire, no idea about FWD tho, but they have the snowflake rating. The RSi's are better but wear out faster on dry pavement. My Rex loves the Nokians! Don't use all seasons in the Summer :confuse:
  • Since I'm poor, but will need to buy snow tires for my MSP3 GT, I'll be buying 215/55-16 Blizzak WS-60 snow tires on black steel wheels for the winter. It won't look pretty, but it will get the job done. I'm going to buy them through Tirerack, $624.00.

I just joined so I know I'm late for most of this discussion. I test drove a MSP3 way back in February or March of 07. The dealership had no problem with me taking it out. I didn't end up buying it at that time. In July, I was driving by the same dealership and they had a Cosmic Blue GT in their used car section. I pulled in and again was allowed to drive the car without any trouble. I got a good deal and bought it on the spot. It had 10K miles on it and was fully loaded except for the Nav system. I even got them to install Sirius for free :)

Hey aviboy97, I live in CT and bought my Speed3 in Hartford. Where do you work?
  • I went to an imports dealer in Hamilton NJ called Hamilton Imports. They sell Mazda and VW. Let me test drive the Speed3 with no problem at all. It was actually one of the most stressfree experiences of my life and I'm now been driving the 08 Mazdaspeed3 for a couple months and love it. But they're not officially a mazda dealer, they just happen to sell mazdas so maybe thats why there wasn't a test drive problem.
  • But they're not officially a mazda dealer, they just happen to sell mazdas

I didn't think a dealer could get a Mazdaspeed model unless they were a Mazdaspeed approved dealership. Regardless, welcome to the happy owners club :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    didn't think a dealer could get a Mazdaspeed model unless they were a Mazdaspeed approved dealership.

1,000,000,000% correct. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a Mazdaspeed3 from Mazda Motors of Japan UNLESS you are a Mazdaspeed authorized dealer!
  • indydriverindydriver Posts: 620
    I don't understand why you would want to downgrade the three season performance of your Speed3 by putting all-season tires on it. Remember that the great skidpad, slalom and braking numbers all the magazines raved about are almost entirely due to the tires. If a car comes with OE "summer" tires, you just have to plan on buying winter tires to go with it. That way, you will have max performance all year long. All you have to do is call TR. You can buy decent alloys for $100 ea. Make your life easy and put a new set of TPMS in there. Then you can change over in your garage whenever you like. BTW, if you want max traction, TR will tell you to go -2 on your winter tire/wheel combo with WS-60 Blizzaks. Smaller tires are better tires in the snow (greater psi in the footprint). Plus, 16's are a lot cheaper than 17's or 18's.
This discussion has been closed.