Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Brake Questions

13»

Comments

• kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    edited May 2011
    It is absolutely very normal. It can also get rusty in a day or even less. I take it by "cover" you mean the brake drum, facing you as you look at it. I do not have a Civic LX-S.

Thanks for confirming! I finally saw another Honda Civic LX-S yesterday and the brake drum cover (visible side) is also rusty red.

Thought I'd update: Although I did find 2 other Honda Civic LX-S that had the cast iron type drum brakes which rusted right away, I also found over 10 Honda Civic LX-S with the black finished (rust proofed) drum brakes.

I brought this up to my dealer this morning during my first oil change and off the bat he said it was normal but when we took a walk to look at their two 2010 Honda Civic LX-S loaner cars, they both had the black finished type.

The dealer offered to paint my drum brakes and give me a loaner for the day which I will have to schedule.

It is just odd that Honda would manufacture a model type with totally different part types that would affect aesthetics.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A reporter is looking for owners who have had premature wear on the their Honda Accord and Honda Civic brakes. If you would agree to be interviewed by this reporter, please send your contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 14, 2011.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• it may be caused by design but honestly you can warp a brand new rotor right after replacing it if you hit the brakes too hard enough even once. You may be a conservative driver but 30,000 miles before warping rotors really isn't that bad and if they haven't been turned as of yet you should be okay to turn them to fix the issue. I'm not sure if the braking system in the newer civics are similar to the older ones but you can cause warping if the screws are not in place in the rotors (they rarely are if the brakes have been done), it causes the rotor to almost shimmy when braking causing it to warp over time. Also I know the accords have a rotor that have 4 bolts in the center holding them down, just based on design these always warp rotors. If the design is similar to either it could be the cause.
13»