Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Corvette Electrical Problems

1235»

Comments

• c2c35c2c35 Posts: 37
    Well, thank god for Comp insurance! Seeing as it's major "animal" damage that has caused all the issues with my vette lucky it is covered under my Comp insurance! I have been there to see first hand the damage. All i have to say is UN FREAKN REAL!! All under the entire dashboard is nothing but a mouse nest! It is all surrounded around the CCM (the main computer brains of the car!) also my Bose gold radio is ruined and also all the way under the shifter to the middle arm rest! Now mind you my car has been kept in a proper garage concrete floor for the past @ least 11 years with mouse poison and traps etc.. and these lil bastards still got in! The mechanic actually told me that it was just luck that the car didn't burn down whether driving or sitting in the garage! Well like i said before my baby's in great hands at the "Corvette Shop" the guy has been working on all years of vettes for over 30 years so i am definitely in good hands! Well hopefully I'll see her in the next couple of weeks! more updates soon. :sick:
  • The car should start even if the alternator was off the car.

It has nothing to do with starting the car.
  • i can straight wire it meaning running a wire from battery to coil but coil start heating up ?
  • ktooktoo Posts: 1
    while starting my vette this a.m. i lost all electrical function, the car did not start and manually had to exit the vehicle. i tapped the negative post on my battery and the electricity was restored, the car started. the same event happend later this morning.
    any ideas what the problem is?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    1) Take both battery cables loose and clean the posts with sandpaper. Don't lose the 'special' cone shaped nuts on the cable ends. They cannot be bought easily. Just loose a little and twist to loosen and pull up.

2) You may need a new battery.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    ktoo,
    I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing these electrical issues with your new Corvette. Are you planning on working with a dealership to get this looked into? If we can look into anything on our end (open recalls, for example), please get in touch via email at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • You think this is bad. I have a 2005 with 11,000 miles. In April of this year it stalled electronically while driving on a highway not a freeway. All power shut down, no flashers nothing and I couldn't get out of the car. The lift up latch release failed. Fortunately it was in the daylight. I don't even know if the brake lights showed or not. Since then I have filed a notice with NBHTSA and have spent almost a $1000 dollars trying to repair it. As of 9/2013 nobody knows for sure what's wrong with it and we are swapping out modules. I have had it towed 8 times, the last 2 times while trying to drive home from the Chevy dealer after the 'repair'.

There is a significant design flaw in these vehicles and I'm sure Corvette Division knows about it. I don't even think it's all that rare. But make no mistake, these are death cars. Any car that will electronically cut off power while driving and lock you in your own car is a car you don't want too own.

God help you if there was a fire and that safety latch fails like mine did. Toast. (if it happened to me again, I'd release the roof and knock it out, probably destroying the roof panel but at least escaping. Still you wouldn't want to do this at night in the fast lane on Interstate 5, would you??) Doors that require an electrically driven solenoid to open are just plain stupid and should never be used. They're not cool, or cute, just stupid.

Don't buy these cars.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like your alternator died.

I personally wouldnt touch an 8 year-old car with only 11,000 miles on it. Cars need to be driven, otherwise youre just asking for problems.
  • I wish that were the case. The gm 'repair techs' have already replaced the starter switch, the battery, the alternator and 2 modules included the ecm.

Actually all had nothing wrong with them. I know these guys have families and house payments etc but it's a shame they don't work some place like dsw shoes where they can do no harm.

No, the corvette elect system is a special kind of lunacy that one has to see up close to fully appreciate. there have been over 250 sbs on this model and half were related to the electrical system.

The sad thing is that the car doesn't need any of this crap. The engine, transmission and suspension are enough. The quality of most of the other components is exceptional. But the elec system is something that should never have been allowed on the car. Turning a car into a 'system' is risky at best and the gm people have not been up to the challenge.

Your comment tells me you have never heard of the 'Serivce trac system - Reduced Power Mode' phenomenon on these cars.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,064
    Hi mickjazz,

I'm sorry that this happened to you in your Corvette and we want you to feel that you have a safe and reliable vehicle. Have you made a case with GM Customer Service already about this? If not, we would like to start one for you within our system. If this interests you, please email us your full name, VIN, contact info, mileage, dealership, and a few details of your experience to socialmedia@gm.com.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    ^

Agreed. Edmunds is a great place to chat about cars, but for deeper, more specific information/discussion, the specialty enthusiast forums are where you need to be.

PS: No, I haven't heard of the specific failure you mentioned. These systems are very (and unecessarily) complex and interconnected, so Im not surprised the dealer is struggling to figure it out. I had a Buick that had all kinds of electrical gremlins that could never be repaired. I lemon-lawed the car and GM bought it back.

Good luck!
1235»