Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Sometimes they build them ahead of time and stockpile them so they will have big numbers to ship on a specific launch date. This way they kickoff with a big bang and boast about high sales numbers.

Other times, they send them out as they build even at a slow initial ramp up of production speed and then end up with only a few per dealer during the initial few weeks. They do this to create buzz about how "hard to get" they are.

Does anyone know how it will go for the Malibu?
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    The 2008 is built at same plant as the 2004-7 Malibu. In Fairfax, Kansas.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I have read somewhere the Malibu goes to production in the summer for a September release. I am waiting to try one and compare with Aura. Very likely I will buy one of them, I just have a feeling I may end up saving a grand or two buying a 3.6L Malibu since Saturn insists on charging such a big premium for the XR here in Canada.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    Dont expect the MSRP on the Malibu to be substantially cheaper than Aura. Look at pricing on G6 for comparison. SInce Pontiac dealers can offer discounts the G6 is actually more expensive than the Aura even though it has slightly less equipment. I expect the same to be true for the Malibu except for the fact that the Malibu wont be missing any features found on the Aura.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    But you CAN apply GM Card earnings towards the Malibu, which you can't for the Saturn.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    That is another factor in a difficult decision. I have seen and like both the new Malibu and Aura. (I wish my closest Saturn dealership was not over 60 miles away. The next closest is in another state!)
    FWIW I've had co-workers who had Saabs and Mini Coopers; in both cases the nearest dealer is 120+ miles away in another state. In both cases they were required to bring the vehicles to the dealer for warranty work, and would have to take time off work and/or make weekend trips to get their cars serviced. The Saab owner had lots of problems with her car, and spent tons of time driving back and forth - and when she was unable to drive the car, she was literally stuck. Granted 60 miles isn't as bad, but based on my friends' experiences I'd be hard pressed to buy a vehicle without a dealer nearby. The frustrating thing in both cases is you'd think a GM (maybe Cadillac for the Saab) or BMW (for the Mini) dealer should have been able to perform warranty work on these vehicles (or at least diagnose them), but that wasn't the case.
    There are two Saturn dealers within 10 miles of my house but there is a Chevy dealer within 3 miles. I also want to use my GM card earnings so the Malibu is looking good. However, if the sweet rebates continue on the Aura I may go in that direction.
  • I have a 2004 Malibu LT. A great car, quiet, all the toys, no problems, dealer 10 minutes from the house. I'll be at the head of the line for a 2008 Malibu LT or LTZ.
    Just read elsewhere on the Web that production of the 2008 Malibu will begin in October, and an advertising push to begin in January 2008 (so I guess that means the car will be available around that time too). That seems to be later than I expected; I was hoping to see one by fall at least.
  • jm40jm40 Posts: 6
    go to this website: The Gm Source (image gallery)
    http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categoryid=3

lots of pics of the new Chevy Malibu,, both exterior and interior. the interior looks just like the Saturn Aura but with slightly diffent color combinations. very nice look and style.

honestly GM and Ford have both come out with some strong new vehicles lately. i think toyota and honda especially seem so boring now.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The pictures were already posted here a months ago.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747
    A pity the Maxx version went bye bye.

But depending on traction control quality (real braking of spinning wheel (good), or the simple cut power approach (bad)), and after they've been building it a while (too many first year problems in my '04 to warrant buying another 1st year Chevy !!) , I'll certainly check the '08 'bu out.
    This may be old news, but I just read confirmation in an AP story that the Malibu Hybrid will happen soon. Here's the direct quote from the story:

"(Rick) Wagoner, speaking Tuesday at the company's annual shareholders meeting, also said GM would introduce four new hybrid models this year.

A company spokesman said the four new hybrids, all previously announced, are the two-mode gas-electric systems in the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon large sport utility vehicles, and hybrid systems for the Saturn Aura and new Chevrolet Malibu sedans."

I'd known about the other three, but this was the first I'd heard of the Malibu coming out with a hybrid system (I knew it would come eventually, but it wasn't mentioned in the car's debut at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year...but this implies it will be available at the car's introduction, which is a good thing).

I haven't driven an Aura Hybrid, but I have driven a VUE Hybrid and other than the SUV traits I didn't care for, the powertrain didn't feel much different than a standard car. Granted this hybrid is a mild one relative to the Prius, but by the same token if I can get a Malibu hybrid AND throw in my GM Card earnings, I'd say unless a test drive totally changes my mind I know what I'll be buying to replace my 2000 Impala.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    It's not been active, but you may want to post this in Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid over on the Hybrids board. This might sparks some hybrid folks to comment.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

It has been known for some time that there will be a Malibu hybrid. It will be the same as the Aura GL so it wont give you a huge boost in mileage. IN fact, it probably wont do much more than the LTZ 4 cylinder model with 6 speed auto. C&D tested an Aura GL and only got 23 mpg which isnt good at all. Plus they said it was very slow. I'm glad there will be a Malibu hybrid but it doesnt sound too promising at this point.
  • medcatmedcat Posts: 9
    I wonder if they will have a "sport" edition of the bu?
    Would that be a good/bad idea?
    I would expect to see one in the future.
    The current issue of Automobile has a design review of the new Malibu. The author (who doesnt like many designs) is generally positive about the car although he still calls it dull. He says it reminds him of the LS460 and is full of fine detailing that is rarely seen on such a car. I guess it can be summed up by saying that he felt the car looked classy and expensive, but not exciting enough for his tastes. Of course he didnt mention any competing cars that he would actually approve of in terms of design.
    I tend to agree; I don't think anyone is going to look at the Malibu and be emotionally drawn to the car like one might the upcoming Camaro. But I think when you start comparing it to the competition (which if you think about it, isn't exactly loaded with emotionally exciting options), it will stand out. I haven't seen the car in person, but from the photos I've seen it will raise the bar for cars of this class in terms of styling/details.