Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• dbuckdbuck Posts: 2
    The interior of the Camry may be OK but the new exterior styling is ugly and doesn't measure up to the 2008 Malibu sheet metal.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Posts: 140
    Agreed. Believe me I'm no Toyota fan, but I do like the Camry's dash better than the Malibu's.
  • lisa71lisa71 Posts: 9
    I talked to my friend who works at the plant in Fairfax, KS and the 2008 Malibu starts rolling off the assembly line tomorrow. It won't be long until everyone can see it first hand and then make a decision.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Do you know if they offer public (or "Internet acquaintance of a friend of an employee" :) ) tours of the Fairfax plant? I'm actually going to be in Kansas City in a couple of weeks, and had wondered about the possibility of touring the plant...not only because of my interest in the Malibu, but also due to my daughter's interest in engineering as a future career.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Just when I thought Chevy would get back in the game with the Malibu they come out with this! :lemon: What are they thinking? Have they done focus groups outside of Detroit? The car is good looking other than the Jetta looking tail lights. The front has the Chevy Silverado grille look which was nicely done. The silouette looks good! But omg who approved those color combos on the interior? The dash is a bit layered too. The instrument panel looks really nice with that royal fade blue lighting on the instruments. We'll see.
    Mackabee
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I'm going to go look at one in a few months. I already know the black and brick colored interior is a no-sale.
    I'll see if the "cocoa" LTZ interior looks better in real life than the rendering on the Chevy web site.
    Otherwise, it will need to be a 2LT if the old 4-speed automatic is livable or else some other vehicle not from Chevrolet.
    I want better fuel economy than the V6 Malibu offers, so the 2LT V6 with 6-speed automatic is not a consideration.

I could also wait for the 2009s. Maybe the 2009 models will either have the 6-speed automatic on the 4 cylinder LTs or else nicer colors on the LTZ. Either of those should be a nice choice if it happens.
    It's like someone was trying to sabotage their sales when they approved these colors as the only 2 color choices available for the LTZ interior. It looks that bad.
    Before they even began! :cry:
    Mack
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    What an unbelievable statement. What difference does that make?! A woman is supposed to like what a woman designed?! Ugly is ugly, no matter who designed it, because ugly is opinion.

Wow...
    I like that. Black should be an accent, only, in my opinion! Bottom photo is a '06 Camry, isn't it? Can't stand those white gauges. Oops, can't please everyone! LOL
    It might go over well in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Orange and black are the school colors for Oklahoma State University...it's all over the place up there.
  • earlier today i went and checked out the new malibu and i thought the black and brick looked great! loved the piping detail which finished out the seams. but then again i like to be different!

i cant wait to see the car in "person" those computer generated photos really dont give a good idea. i remember when chevy came out with the last "model" and based on the computer generated photo i didnt like it....now seeing and owning 2 i love it. so who knows. i really do want that black and brick interior, but sucks that the red exterior in the ltz you cant get that interior. i am tired of plain ol black or plain ol tan.
    earlier today i went and checked out the new malibu and i thought the black and brick looked great! loved the piping detail which finished out the seams. but then again i like to be different!

You just contradicted yourself. Did you or did you not see the new Malibu today?
    :confuse:
    Mackabee
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    I have to say good job GM. This Malibu is a Huge improvement over the ugly old one. Styling is subjective, But I say it beats the bland Accord and the ugly Camry hands down. THe exterior looks awesome, and a bit upscale. The interior looks better than Camry (haven't compared to Accord), even with the crazy colors. Malibu finally competes.

2 gripes I have: What idiots decided not to have a navigation system? All it's competitors have them! It's must have. And I don't like the engine numbers. No doubt it will outrun Accord, and Camry, but they know 270 hp would look so much better on paper to auto testers also testing the Accord, CAmry, and in my oppinion the second best styled sedan, the Altima.

GM is finally getting it. This, the Aura, their lambdas. Cadillacs. The Pontiac G8. Competition taking notice.
    GM wants you to use OnStar for everything. That's why no bluetooth or nav system. OnStar makes them money in monthly fees.
  • bmarkbmark Posts: 52
    Sure but at 16.99 a month with the first year free it would take over 10 years worth of on-star payments to make up for the 2 grand extra you pay for navigation. Which in turn is only about 500 extra in resale
    It is $299 per year, not $16.99 per month.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/tbt.jsp

They have slowly started adding DVD nav to some vehicles over the last couple years due to the outcry from buyers, but they are doing it kicking and screaming. They are trying to dig their heels in and avoid bluetooth for as much longer as they possibly can. Even new Cadillacs still don't have bluetooth when you can get it on a Nissan Sentra!
    I know they have it, I have it in my Denali and it is a nice system, but you are talking about a system that is still not that big of a seller in midsize cars, and why pay 2 grand for one when you can get a nice garmin for 600. Also if you want to know why I did? I got such a good deal on my SUV that I couldnt pass on the nav.
    They need to reduce the prices of factory nav. $2000 is too high. They should be able to add Nuvi-like functionality to a factory-installed stereo for less money than you can buy a Nuvi for at Best Buy, but the don't.

That would be a huge seller. People who don't need the portability would say why buy a portable nav if I can get it factory integrated for around the same price?
    For once I agree with yah bro. :0 I took a look at the Honda Website and the difference between the Accord with the Nav to the one without is over 2 grand In one case it was almost 3 grand. I agree that they should offer it, but I don't think that many people that are going to buy the Malibu would pay the extra 2 grand. Like I said before on-star is free for the first year then only 23 a month.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    you arent going to find the price of a nav system the same for a protable one vice a integrated one....the integrated ones I have seen run 2-3000K depending on the car model....you can get a excellent portable one for 400-700 depending on features.......the drawback is the screen size......I test drove an 08 Cadillac CTS with nav this weekend...and screen size of the nav is twice that of the portable ones...user friendly and very intuitive touch screen...but again the price was 3145 MSRP, but that also included an upgraded audio system...
    Ok guys. The nav may be expensive but really? who pays MSRP for cars nowadays?
    :)
    Mackabee

Dude nobody pays sticker, but you are still negotiating 2000 higher thatn you would without the nav
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    invoice on the nav system on the new CTS is 2610 vice the 3145 MSRP, but that also includes an upgraded audio system as well....and you are right...most dont pay MSRP unless its the hot car first year, high demand.....dont think the 08 malibu will fall in that category.....
  • Oh yes they do pay sticker. Try the new 08' CTS and/or the Wranglers. They're lined up like ducks in a pound waiting to get slaughtered.
  • wandlwandl Posts: 31
    With all the technological advancements like side airbags, stabilitrack, Onstar and even an updated engine with their 2.4L, why an old, outdated and clearly inferior 4-speed transmission?

They did it with the Saturn Aura when they dubbed it "Camry killer". More gears typically means lower RPM's at cruising speeds, meaning quieter (in most cases) operation, meaning better gas mileage.

Why not spend some $$$ to develop a 5 speed tranny like your competition (Honda & Toyota) rather face the flat sales that the Aura has suffered? :mad:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,332
    It's my understanding that the 4-speed will soon be replaced by the new 6-speed automatic on all Malibus and Auras. They needed time to ramp up production on the new 6-speed.

Incidentally, as 4-speed trannies go, GM's is excellent. By cantrast, however, I've read that recently Camry transmissions have been problematic.
  • wandlwandl Posts: 31
    The Camry and Sienna have a slight hesitation to accelerate, its a software update from what I understand, but can cause and probably have caused accidents because when you push the gas, it takes ever-so-long to actually accelerate.

Honda's actually also somewhat notorious for their trannies, which is why their 2000-2002 Accord's (I think) have an extended powertrain warranty because of the perceived problems...
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A reporter seeks to talk with intended owners of the 2008 Chevy Malibu who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

See this is how rumors get started. Now the Sienna has slight hesitation to accelarate? when did this one come about? There have been faulty transmissions with early 07 Camry V6 which were corrected very early. This just perpetuates things that are no longer true.
    Mackabee

• boodrowboodrow Posts: 15
    Where is the 5 speed manual transmission? If this car came with a modern diesel engine and 5 speed I would already be in line to buy it.

It looks like it will be a good buy when it is two years old after the normal GM depreciation. All in all, nice car but give me a diesel........ :cry: