Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• psd2psd2 Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, this is my first post but I have been reading this thread for quiet some time.

I got very serious about buying a Malibu today and then I remembered someone saying that 2009's were coming out VERY soon. So I would appreciate some feedback...

I am wanting to buy a 2LT w/ the premium audio package. The sticker price came out to $23,075.50. I plan on putting $9,000 down on top of the GM Loyalty rebate which is $1,000. That gets my payments down to $291.05 (which works well for me) and the APR is 5.34%.

Now this Malibu would have to be built because it isn't available in the color I want w/ the option and in the 4 cylinder.

Question is, should I wait a few months for the '09 which will have the 6 speed and bluetooth???? Does anyone know what the ballpark figure on a 2LT is for next year in the 6 speed? I ask this becuase there aren't really any discounts right now, and I'm basically paying sticker price since my dealer won't budge on it since it is a "Hot Car!"

I would appreciate any help as this is my first automobile purchase and I am looking on not getting skrewed over (yeah I know, good luck huh!).
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The 2009s are not coming out that soon. The dealers may be able to take orders in a few weeks, but they don't start building them until June, so you won't see them until July or later.
    I will be surprised if the rebate carrys forward to the 2009s until some time after all the 2008s are gone and there will likely be some price increase for the new transmission and bluetooth option, but since there will no longer be power adjustable pedals, it may cancel out a little of the extra cost.
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    Hi: I special ordered a 2LT with all options except sunroof and 6 cyl engine. The loyalty rebate would be an unexpected bonus, unless it expires before my car is delivered (first week of May was best guess). I'm paying $500 over dealer invoice, which to me seems fair. Others may do better, but that price works for me.

I drove a 1LT with same engine, and found it to be more than ample for my driving needs. I'm 6' even, and with the driver's seat positioned where I need it to drive, I sat in the back seat and was very comfortable.

It's funny reading these forums as to what is important to one person is not to another. For example, I like the wheels on the 1LT better than the 2LT wheels, and may even swap them out at a later date. I ordered the car in Imperial blue metallic with the cashmere interior.

Good luck with whatever you decide--you'll enjoy the car!
    Do you know the date when dealers can place orders? I'm really leaning on waiting a few more months for the 6 speed transmission on the 4 cylinder. From what I've read it sounds like a good match.
    Hey Jaxs1, just out of curiosity, where are you getting your information and how sure are you that the 2009's are that close away?

I've talked w/ some local dealers and they are telling me that 2009's are much further away than July.

Thank you!
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    Did you follow this link above and here. It gives the prodution dates for most Chevy products.

http://www.donlen.com:80/buildstart_chevy.html
    Yeah, I went to that link, but all of the dealers still have no idea when they are able to start ordering or when production will start.
    I have heard from other people who gave dates similar to what's posted on that link, but they said ordering 2009s could still be a couple more weeks out. It's always possible that it could be delayed a few more weeks since it's an estimate, but July should work for cars built in June. They aren't going to take orders for cars in April and not build them until fall.
    If you wait until the end of April, they should be able to order 2009s by then barring unforeseen circumstances. You will probably be wasting your breath asking the dealers about it before the first official day they can take orders.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,195
    I taking Chevy’s advertisement jingle to heart: See the USA in your Chevrolet

Very soon I will be driving from Boston to Gaithersburg, MD in our new 2008 Malibu LS with the 16" tires. What is your recommendation for tire pressure on such a long distance trip? OnStar recommends 30 psi but I believe that is too soft for such long distance highway driving. By the way, the car has 1,600 miles and I was thinking of changing the oil before embarking on the trip. As a traditionalist, I always changed my oil after 500 miles break-in period but many boardies are saying that is no longer necessary with late model automobiles. What do you think?

Since I will be driving on Route 95, how many toll booths should I expect to encounter? I know there are none on the Massachusetts section, but what about RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, etc. and what is the expected cost on each of these sections. If you could direct me to a website I would appreciate that.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    depending on your route you will hit them on NY...GW Bridge, NJ Turnpike, DE Memorial Bridge, and I beleive one in MD headed south...somwhere around $15-20....you have more going back north.....in MD and DE so would say $20-25....on the return trip....if I remember them all

changing oil is a personal choice...I always change the first after 1000 miles..since the car already has 1600 on it and past the break in period...doesnt hurt....to go ahead and change....I have then used the Oil Life Monitor....and changed every 6000 miles or so.....I switched to full synthetic at 30K in my 04 Malibu Maxx.....and average changes around 6500 miles...now have over 124K on the car...without a problem....

I would set your tire pressures to the recommendation on the label on the inside of the drivers door frame....
  • bryan
    Did you go thru a car buying service for that $500 over dealer invoice or did you just worked out a "Deal"
    My employer has a GM discount service BUT the price is only $500 off the sticker based upon the GM Supplier Discount website
    :(
    I may try using the Costco auto buying service to see what the difference is .
    Thanks pao for your detailed and thoughtful response; I truly appreciate that. Now, I am going to put OnStar to good use. I hope they don't assess a surcharge for overuse.
    I'm haven't looked at this for the Malibu, but there are now many cars where the manufacturer specifically say do not change the factory-filled oil ahead of their recommended schedule because it has special additives that will not do the job properly if you flush it out prematurely.
    You should probably check before you jump to change the first oil way early.
  • tenngaltenngal Posts: 1
    I have about 1500 miles on my new Malibu and am interested in hearing what you all have to say about the 1st oil change. I was just waiting for the system to tell me when it was time.

I am a little disappointed in my mpg.......did not realize that my average speed was only 30 mph........

Still love the car! Golden Pewter, LS.........I think I got the best car for the money spent.
    You should probably check the manual, call the dealer and/or call Chevrolet customer service to find out if they are any warnings or recommendations about changing the factory-filled oil long before the scheduled time.
    The "change the oil at 500 or 1000 miles to get metal shavings out" thing is usually not needed on modern cars.
    Some car manufacturers expressly say "Don't do that!" because not allowing the factory break-in oil to do what it was designed to do is harmful.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    No tolls in R.I. and Ct. No toll on the NY George Washington Bridge when going southbound. Your first toll will be on the N.J. Turnpike.
  • g6leaserg6leaser Posts: 48
    I have just about 1,000 on my Malibu - and getting about 23.5 to 24 mpg's - have done mostly city/suburb driving with 1 or 2 extended highway trips thrown in - seems to perform well-above my expectations - ride quality / ride noise / just pure ride excitement in this car has been amazing....

First oil change comming up and I know what to expect - small metal "chips" in the filter and oil - still that's probably the case with any new car you're breaking in...

Wondering if the 2009s will integrate XM with OnStar....
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    Hi sidewinderz: This Rehoboth Beach Delaware GM dealership recently changed ownership, and instituted a one-price no haggle policy--$500 over invoice for most cars; $750 over for high-end (Corvette) and the large SUVs and trucks I believe. No changes in personnel; I've been dealing with them for seven years or so, and this will be my fifth new car from the same salesman since 2003. It's nice that the same technician services my cars each time.

I did see where a poster somewhere in these Malibu forums paid $200 over dealer invoice for an '08 2LT that was swapped in from another dealer, IIRC. I remember the person's forum handle as beach???; I believe he's in the Virginia Beach, VA area.

I ordered my car on March 21 as I wanted everything but the sunroof and the 6-cylinder engine. Could not find one anywhere on the east coast in my preferred color combo, as most 2LTs had the sunroof and the 6-cylinder engine. I was in no hurry for the car, and my order did not count against their regular Malibu allocation. Since the order, GM instituted a $1000 loyalty bonus for those of us who own a '99 or later model GM. Um, I have four right now! Wonder if I can get the rebate quadrupled??? ;) Anyway, that bonus was a nice surprise.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying.
    I spoke with my Chevy dealer service manager today and he said that the first oil change should be at 3,000 miles. He said if it will make me feel better I can change it sooner but there is no benefit. Zilch!

The service manager was extremely pleasant. I asked him about the small metal chips often found in the oil and filter during the break-in period. He said that was a thing of the past that is why it is unnecessary to change the oil after the first 500-mile break-in. By the way, he said the original oil is the same as the replacement oil with so special engine additives.

One more thing, he said they have had zero issues with the new Malibu so far. That is indeed encouraging news.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Posts: 374
    No tolls GWB Southbound, NJ Turnpike ($6.45 each way), Delaware Memorial Bridge ($3.00 westbound), I-95 in Delaware ($4.00 each way), GWB Northbound ($8.00 cash, discount with EZ Pass). Batlimore Harbor Tunnel ($2.00 each way)..
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Posts: 374
    "depending on your route you will hit them on NY...GW Bridge, NJ Turnpike, DE Memorial Bridge, and I beleive one in MD headed south...somwhere around $15-20....you have more going back north.....in MD and DE so would say $20-25....on the return trip....if I remember them all"

You know your tolls! About $35 round trip.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    I thought this was about the new Malibu?

I think there are plenty of travel web sites that discuss route planning.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080418/gm_plant_strikes.html

I wonder if they will ever get the Malibu to ship in high numbers?
    Ever time you turn around, there is another problem holding up shipments.

I wonder if they will even get 50,000 of the first model year out the factory doors?
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Let 'em strike!

Management stupidity plus labor stupidity does not equal intelligence!

Go ahead...send those jobs out of the country, then whine and complain about how you have been mistreated!

IDIOTS!
  • kplacerkplacer Posts: 94
    I was at my local dealer today and they have about 40 on the lot so their supply seems adequate. I am starting to see these on the road more often so they are getting out into consumers hands.

A lot of the Malibus I see are painted dark grey metallic and I have to say that is a very unattractive color on this car -- actually, it is a very unattrative color period, unlike some of GMs other gray metallics. Meanwhile I have yet to see one painted white, which I think would look good on this car.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    flash, UAW boosts Camry sales!
    Yesterday the temp was warm enough in Boston to try the AC. But alas, it only blew warm air. I read the manual, changed the settings but that made no difference---all I got was warm air.

Curiously, the engine didn't behave like the AC was engaged. In other words none of the traditional "strain" of the signs of a harder working engine when the compressor is on. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow to hear their verdict.

This is the first reportable I’ve had so far in an otherwise flawless car.
    I test drove a Toyota Camry LE and Hybrid this weekend, then I immediately drove a Malibu LS along part of the same route.
    I slightly preferred the way the Malibu LS drove. It was slightly smoother and quieter, yet at the same time, it still handled better around the curves.

Here is a 6 minute Malibu LS video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=781RajEcM4E
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    I bought one of the two (both LTZs at the time) my dealership had on the lot back in March. Mine is the red with cocoa / cashmere interior, the other was white with the ebony / red brick. I've seen that one and a white LS rental on the roads locally in the past week, along with a gray LT.