Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    It would make for a great SS model!

I haven't heard anything though.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    There was a rumor there would be a new Sport model eventually with the DI 3.6L, but the last I heard of that was long ago and I haven't seen or heard anything at all related recently. Possible, but not overly likely, but we'll see in time.
    We had about an inch snow last night and when I tried to open my trunk this morning it was frozen shut. Is this common with the new Malibus? I never really experienced that with my old car barring a more substantial freezing rain or snow fall.

Thanks
  • I just read the model review and the editors rating (with brief review). The editor gives it a 6.9 (adequate). Says the following:

Overall

Average materials, driving charactertistics and bland design prevent the Malibu from receiving a hearty recommendation.

Comfort

Malibu neither offends nor dazzles.

Function

Nothing ground-breaking inside, except the optional DVD screen that emerges from the arm rest.

Design/Build Quality

Monochromatic interior theme has no personality, and the materials have a low-rent look and feel.

The model review say pretty much the opposite. So, which is it Edmunds.....good car or bad???
  • ddeliseddelise Posts: 339
    This is not the review of the newly designed Malibu. This is a review of the Malibu Classic/MalibuMaxx. This is an error and should be corrected.
  • As ddelise said, it's a review of the last gen Malibu Maxx. The "optional DVD screen that emerges from the arm rest" is the giveaway. It's NOT available on the new (sedan-only) car. Not to mention that they now like the materials much better, really like the driving characteristics and design, as well as the general comfort and function. Likewise, the new two-toned interiors have wowwed them, and the build quality has been hailed. Comparing reviews of the last gen car to the new one are about as opposite as night and day.
  • last year the press was singing thepraises of this car, now suddnely the news is not good! Ths car DID NOT MAKE THE INSURANCE INSTITUTE SAFE CAR AWARD, ALSO LAST YEAR CAR AND DRIVER HAD IT ON THE TOP TEN CARS , WHOOPS NOT THIS YEAR! HERE IS SOME SOBERING SALES FIGURES, CHEVY IMPALA IS OUT SELLING THE MALIBU, ALSO LAST CHECKEDIN SEPT. MALIBU HAD SOLD SOME 120000 UNITS, HONDA ACCORD 245000, LONG WAY TO GO GUYS, ALSO HAVE SEEN ALOT OF 08 MALIBUS GOING FOR 13500-15500 NOT GOOD FOR A 1-2 YEAR OLD CAR
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    First of all, nice SCREAMING...not.

What happened is nothing is selling, and though this car started out and continued on very strongly...when all sales of everything died, so did it.

Overall, given how awful everything from every brand is moving, it's actually still going pretty well vs. that, just not great in terms of how it started pre-bad market. As for the Impala, those numbers have been discussed elsewhere, and a car that's still heavily fleeted, etc. is going to have higher numbers.
  • and as for the Safe Car award- check the list again. It only missed for the same reason SEVERAL other vehicles did- lack of active head restraints.
  • bibo2bibo2 Posts: 9
    "ALOT OF 08 MALIBUS GOING FOR 13500-15500". Where did you get that number? That's probably the old Malibu Classic. I checked CarMax, Cars.com, .fitzmall.com, Ebay and did not see such "a lot of " new Malibu 08 at that price.
    With a terrible market like this, all cars are down. Even Honda has to lower their production next year. And please, don't scream here. Keep your head up. If you bought Malibu and intend to keep it for 10 years like I do. You should not have to scream and just enjoy your Malibu ride.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,184
    bibo, you are right. The "ALOT OF 08 MALIBUS GOING FOR 13500-15500" comment probably refers to the Malibu Classic. But then again, I saw a TV ad for a Boston area Chevy dealer offering the 2008 Malibu LS and Pontiac G6 for $11,880. Seeing how the announcer was barking I would have to assume they were being sold as used cars. Nonetheless, sales are extremely slow and I saw two local newspaper ads offering the 2009 Malibu LS for $17,499.
  • $15k is about right for a NEW 2008 LS . Dont forget the 2008 had a cheaper MSRP 16 inch rims and no stability control . It was a base model. I got mine at the end of May with no rebates .. 19,400 with side molding and mats.( I needed a car by end of May) I went on the internet,picked the cheapest LS price with an older sticker price , Now they have a Red tag sale, $2000 off lease to purchase (IF you lease) and another $1000 customer cash.
    Now that I think of it , I remember seeing the 2007 Malibu for about $15k (late 2007) when I first started looking around for a new car.
    I guess the 2008 Malibu was late to start offering rebates in May and even early summer due to late production time,low production volume, strikes , ect
    PS . Some may be DEMO cars, never registered , with very low miles on them.
    Just saw a brand new 2009 Malibu LS offered for $15,999 at Quirk Chevrolet. Breakdown as follows:
    MSRP.....................$21,625
    Rebate....................$(1,000)
    Auto show bonus......$( 500)
    Quirk discount...........$(4,126)
    Quirk Price...............$15,999

In February, we bought our 2008 LS (16" without Stabilitrac) for $20,400 so this is a significant discount. Not fair, but these are tough economic times.
  • It is really is confusing that GM/Chevy is producing two vehicles both called a Malibu.
    Please be aware everyone that is getting them confused. The old design Malibu is called the Classic or maybe MAXX

The new design Malibu is the 2008 and now the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. It comes in the LS, LT, and LZ trim. I have the LT and find it to be an excellent vehicle for the price range.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    the classic malibu was considered before the 04 MY.....the 04 MY was the redesign of the malibu..and included both the sedan and hatch back (MAXX)...the MAXX was never really marketed well by GM IMHO...it is a versatile car...great gas mileage, V6 with lots of features........I have an 04 Maxx with 136K on it and still going strong (picture of it on my car page here)....both models came in LS1 and LS2 and LT and then later the LTZ was added..the 04 body style remained until the redesign in 08...so not sure why you are stating there is two malibus......the hatchback was offered in the 04 thought 07 model years
    16K? That is amazingly low! Are you sure that includes everything (dealer fee, freight) except TTL? If so, it is very attractive. That "auto show bonus" and "discount" looks suspicious and teasing.
    Malibu Classic has been discontinued. And yes it was confusing to me when I first started researching the Bu. It was first released to the fleet in July or August 07 before the new models, which did not start rolling to the market until Nov or Dec 07.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Don't forget the SS. The dealer I bought my '08 from had a brand new '07 Maxx SS that they were selling for $8k off MSRP.
    16K? That is amazingly low! Are you sure that includes everything (dealer fee, freight) except TTL? If so, it is very attractive. That "auto show bonus" and "discount" looks suspicious and teasing.

Bibo2, brace yourself for lower prices as two other dealers are offering the same deal at $15,999 and $15,995. This price includes destination but excludes TTL and documentation fees. By the way, the auto show discount is legit. To celebrate the New England auto show in Boston all dealers are offering a promotional discount to buyers regardless if you attend the auto show or not.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    Buy pure silcone spray they have it at the auto stores or the water repellent spray they sell to water proof your shoes and it doesn't smell, spray all the rubber seals around the trunk and do it around all of the doors. Your problem is fixed at a cost of under $10.
    They must be loosing money on the car, wow.

These are sad times for GM. I don't know where it's all going but I think GM will make it. I know I love my Malibu LT and it's restored my faith in domestic brands.I wish more Camcord drivers would take a look at the Bu.
    Thanks packer3. Great idea!

We ae getting a big snow storm tomorrow, I better pick up some in the AM. Should be fun to try out the new Malibu in the snow,
    I spoke with a Chevy salesman yesterday and he said that he had just lost a sale. Why I asked? Because the prospective was concerned that GM would not be around much longer to honor the warranty and for parts. He said the guy went on to buy a Toyota truck instead.

By the way I made a $21,000 offer on an LTZ. They are willing to sell at this price but we couldn't agree on my trade-in value.
  • TomNYTomNY Posts: 8
    I had my choice narrowed down to a Sonata or a Malibu and have to admit that I used the "how do I know GM will be around tomorrow?" line on the sales guy :) Bottom line, I offered him $21,500 for a 6 cylinder LTZ w/sunroof and I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning. Unfortunately because I live in NY where they tax your pants off my OTD price came to $23,700, but I still feel I did pretty well. It's Blue with cocoa/cashmere interior.

To be honest I had kind of eliminated the Malibu, because I could buy the Sonata Limited (loaded) for 20k, and the best I could do with a Malibu was a 4 cylinder LT1 with the convenience package, and although it was a nice car, I liked the trim level of the Hyundai (leather, climate, sunroof, etc.). All of that changed when I drove the LTZ with 6 cylinders....man what a great car. I knew if I bought the Sonata, I would always wish I had stretched for the Malibu. By stretching that extra 1.5K, I'm confident I'll never look back.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Blue with cocoa/cashmere is what I have. $21.5k is below what I paid for my LT2 in September, so I think you did well is stretching a bit. You will not regret it.

I wonder if these low prices are here to stay on the Malibu if GM turns the corner. When I bought the discounts were very low on Malibu's because it was considered one of the best sedans Detroit could build. I don't know how long dealers can continue to sell Malibus or any car at such discounts.
  • TomNYTomNY Posts: 8
    This was the only dealer that was anywhere near that price, most others were around $24-25K. I picked it up today and love it, what a great car. I notice an August inspection sticker on it,I think the dealer had these for a while and must have been looking it to get rid of them. There were some LT2s there, but they seemed more anxious to dump the LTZs. The dealer is Simmons-Rockwell in Bath NY.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    I dont know about NY but in NJ what ever month you pick up your new car thats the sticker they put on the car due to inspection purposes, check the door sticker on the drivers side it will tell you where and when the car was made.
    One thing I know is that the government will never let GM or Ford fail. Never. That is especially true now that they have sunk billions of loans in. I have zero worries about my warranty.
    Nice price. Great car, You will love the V6 / 6-speed, it rocks.
  • Yep . Here in NJ , with a new car sticker , its good for 4 years before the next inspection , though I had to pay for 4 years of registration cost up front . This is a fairly new law from NJ . I don't mind . It saves me from going to the inspection station for 4 years ! ;)
    for Gus >> I notice an August inspection sticker on it, <<
    It should have a "NEW CAR" DEALER inspection sticker on it