Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• The salesman told me it was just another rebadged lexus ES 330. That liar, liar pants on fire :mad:
  • I'm seriously considering buying the 2008 Malibu, so I rented one for a few days last week. It was an LS base version and I was very impressed with the car. I do a lot of driving at night , and I loved the interior ambient lighting and illuminated door handles, very cool looking. However, I noticed that the rear doors don't have the illuminated door handles, plus the power window switches aren't lit up either (the front doors are). Can any 2008 Malibu owners tell me if this is the case on their cars also, or is it just on the lower-end trims? And any news if Chevy will fix this with the 2009 models?
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    Nope. The lighting you've noticed is the same on the LTZs, and isn't changed for 09.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    I for one never buy a car based on resale value.....I drive most of my autos till a resale value is a mute point...meaning 100-150K miles before I even start considering a new car.....125K on my 04 Maxx LT now...105K on KIA Sorento.....

I honestly dont think the transmission 4 vs 6 on a 4 cyl will make that much difference if any on resale value..between an 08 and 09 MY Malibu
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    Got the call a couple of hours ago that my special ordered 2LT Malibu is in transit. I ordered this car on March 21. The window sticker was posted this morning on the dealership's internet site, so I was able to print out the sticker. I hope to have the car by May 2. WooHoo--looking forward to my new 'Bu.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Congrats! Always an exciting time!

Just like our dealer swap 2LT (what I like to call an "instant order", hah), which was swapped in a matter of a day, and I was able to print the window sticker off the site that same night--the anticipation is the best part. Hope it's perfect! Ours has been, for 3 months and 4k miles.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,163
    Just completed a 928-mile round trip from Boston to Maryland/Virginia in our 2008 Malibu LS. Got to say it was a lonely feeling because there were no other Malibus on the road. Not one! There were plenty of Camry's though and many drivers came up to get a closer look at our Malibu.

Nonetheless, the ride was extremely pleasant. The ride was firm, yet supple and compliant. The handling was confident and purposeful. In short, the car went where it was pointed.

Moreover, there was absolutely no wind noise and the cabin was cathedral quiet. As a matter of fact we had a three-way phone conversation (on the OnStar hands-free phone) with our daughters in Hawaii and Atlanta which was as clear as a bell.

The driver’s bucket seat was a real surprise. It felt as comfortable as a tailored suit. (By the way one of the best decisions we ever made was to put in after-market leather on the LS---that leather is Oh so soft and supple.) On such a long drive, we felt absolutely no fatigue. The steering was true and on center and visibility was very good from the driver’s side mirror but not so from the rearview mirror. The high back end obscures visibility a bit. There were no rattles or squeaks of any kind and OnStar and the XM radio performed flawlessly except in tunnels.

In the final analysis we drove 928.3 highway miles and averaged 27.7 mpg at an average speed of 53 mph. Although most of our driving was between 70 and 80 mph that mileage suffered considerably upon entering the George Washington Bridge in New York. If there is someone out there trying to decide on a midsize sedan I would highly recommend the Malibu.
  • Just yesterday, I purchased a slightly "used" (2,700 miles) 2008 Malibu LT that has the Factory Chevy Malibu 18 inch polished LTZ rims. I was told that this was a demo car, which made sense, because it has never been never titled, and I bought it at the Chevy's dealership's used car lot. A Car fax report confirmed this. Since the LT package does not come from the factory with these rims and tires, I am assuming that original 17 inch tires and rims were removed at some point. I love the look of the shiny rims. However, since I bought this car mainly because of the fuel economy potential, I am now concerned that these tires and rims will have a negative effect on my 4 cylinder's MPG rating. Also, since the car's factory sticker located near the driver's rocker panel clearly shows 225/50 17 tires & wheels were on it from the factory, I am now worried that my odometer will be giving me readings on MPH and MPG that are not correct. Does anyone know: 1) if the larger 18 inch tires and rims will give me less fuel economy vs the normal LT 17 inchers, and 2) does Chevy at the factory level calibrate the odometer specifically differently for the 17 inch and 18 inch tires? If so, then maybe I should have my local Chevy dealership calibrate my odometer. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Great to hear ! You've broken away from the every day drum beat of TOYOTA -HONDAs passing by. Looking to purchase a LS next month .....OH.... What a Feeling ,LOL :)
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Personally I love owning something different. Camcords are about as interesting as watching paint dry. Chevy finally has a great top notch sedan that competes not as the best American choice but a serious and real alternative.

I just hope Japanese car owners will give it a shot, far to many people who won't walk into a Chevy dealer and that's just wrong.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    You neglected to list the tire pecs of the 18" wheels.

Usually, the increased wheel size is offset by a lower ratio tire, giving the outside diameter the same dimension. If that is the case, then technically there is no difference, and assuming the same weight between the 2 wheel types, there shouldn't be a noticable difference in MPG or speedo accuracy.

Hope that helps...
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The ride gets a bit bumpier though because these thinner tires provide less cushioning to the road. They usually end up having lower tread life also and cost more, so replacements will get expensive over time.
  • Thanks for your reply. The tire specs of the 18" wheels are 225/50 18, and the car had 225/50 17 from the factory. Any advice is appreciated.
    The tire specs of the 18" wheels are 225/50 18, and the car had 225/50 17 from the factory.

That's a potential issue...The 225 is the width of the tire in Millimeters, and the 50 is the % ratio of width to height. So, with no other modofications, expect the speedo to be off a bit.
  • I guess I should visit my local dealer to see if they can re-calibrate my odometer. Any guess on fuel mileage differences between the two wheel sizes, given that the tire specs are the same?
    Try this before going to the dealer...have someone ride with you in the car and get on the interstate highway. As you travel down the highway, have the passenger tell you exactly when you pass a mile marker...note the mileage on the odometer. Travel a few miles, I suggest 5, and when you reach the 5th mile marker, repeat the process. Note the odometer readings at the beginning and the end, and write them down.

Now, do this 4 or 5 times to have several samples.

Now you have enough information to tell you how "off" the odometer actually is, as well as calculate the speed differential between actual speed at, say 60 mph .vs. what is shown on the spedometer.

Be aware, though, that it isn't unusual for new cars with everything original to have a variance. The last GM vehicle I had (2005 Aveo) was actually 5-6 mph off at 60 mph. I read several comments about that on the Aveo, but I have no idea how widespread it is on other vehicles, other than I do know it is fairly common.

To answer your original question, you can take this information with you to the dealer to help substantiate your complaint, assuming you find a significant difference between actual and reported mileage. I don't think there is an accurate way to estimate the mpg difference, other than trying the same vehicle, driver, and location using both sets of wheels/tires .
  • Duly noted, and many thanks.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    You cannot count on mile markers being 100% accurate. Some were measured using old trucks that may not have been totally precise at the time.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    Does anyone know what is RPM on a 4 cylinder Malibu model at 65-70MPH? Thanks.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    I've seen this on a random LT too, that was used.

That said...yes...your speedo, odometer, etc. are all going to be off. Using this calculator:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

There's an overall jump in diameter from the 225/50/17 to 225/50/18 (of course, as the wheel size is larger but the tire width & aspect ratio are the same), going from 25.85in to 26.85in, and effectively throwing off the speedo/odo to be 3.872% slow (or read 57.7 when going 60).

The way around this is to reprogram the main computer for the new, larger tire size, but that would require the dealer and their Tech 2 tool. Given that they offer 17" and 18" accessory wheels for the Malibu, regardless of model, the dealer should have the capacity to do this in the case that someone did want 18's on their LT. The difference is relatively big and needs to be taken care of, if they didn't already once the 18's were swapped on.