Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    88alfa,
    How many times have you had your vehicle to the dealer for this? Can you please email me your VIN?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • malexbumalexbu Posts: 169
    Dwayne,

Thanks for thinking about trying! When you have data collected, please post it
    here -- I am very interested, and we may learn something new.

The engine cylinders: 4 in sedans (140 HP), 6 in Maxx (205 HP). Remember, this is the
    Malibu generation one before yours, so the engines are not identical to the one you
    have.

(My Malibus are German Opels, rebranded for the American market; yours is not -- a
    uniquely American design, as far as I understand.)

Both engines are adequate for me -- I usually travel in the left lanes on the
    highway.

Maxx doesn't have an outstanding MPG, but had the power one can surely feel. On the
    4-cyl car MPG, see my posting #336 (38.2 [Re: 37.37)) at the Edmunds forum "Chevrolet
    Malibu MPG-Real World Numbers".

From reading the Malibu forums at Edmunds.com, I've concluded that the current
    generation of Malibu has a noticeably lower MPG than the previous ("my") generation.
    Your words, "To date, I have only be able to get 27 MPG on the highway." are
    in line with that.

My V6 XLE Camry gets easily 30 MPG, and on a long trip I have hit 34 MPG. I
    sacrificed performance for MPG on the Malibu. My Camry can run rings around the
    Malibu and still give me 30 MPG.

From what you have said so far, I do feel that your Camry is superior to this
    generation of Malibus (which doesn't make me happy).

After what I just learned from you, I suspect that I wouldn't be inclined to buy a
    2008+ Malibu :-(

I like the Malibu in terms of style and handling, but I DO NOT THINK their
    technology comes close to a Toyota or Honda! ---- What ever happened to American
    Engineering?

It's been outsourced, the engineers let go, new grads can't find jobs etc. There
    will be more of it, get ready.

I have tried different brands of fuel and different octanes, and the results
    are the same --- 27MPG

I monitor MPG very carefully, calculating it after each fillup. I 've come to
    believe that the brand doesn't matter at all: on the same highway (but different
    stretches) I was getting a higher MPG from the VA-local brand Sheetz than from the
    first tier Shell.

I can only suggest that you watch your MPG on the DIC, and don't accelerate hard;
    compute the MPG by the fuel purchases after each fillup and work out MPG-increasing
    habits (this does matter).

Looking forward to your data on the air pressure, and perhaps on the MPG dynamics --
    thanks!
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi Christina:

I see that GM does monitor this forum. From the positing that you sent to (88alfa), I see that you have an interest in his transmission problem. You are requesting his Vin Number.

I also have an issue with a new 2010 Chevrolet LTZ Malibu dealing with a loss of air on all four tires. ------ In order to feel safe driving this vehicle, I am contemplating purchasing four new Michelin tires. ------- The is a major expense on my part in order to feel safe in a new vehicle. ---- (I should not have to make this purchase!) ----- The "track record" of Goodyear tires is dismal at best! ---- Is GM also interested in my problem? ------ Best regards. ------ Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
    djm2,
    Have you taken your vehicle in to your local dealer of choice for this issue?
    Christina
    GM Customer Sevice
  • When I first read your message, I thought, that's the same problem I have on my 2008 Malibu LTZ with about 8,000 miles. I took a copy of your message to the dealer and after the mechanic had inspected he said I had the same problem--they found a gear failure was causing the problem. It too took all day to replace and adjust the "tow" of my front wheels. I also met someone in the Safeway parking lot who asked how I liked my Malibu. He had a 2005 Malibu and in the conversation said the only problem he'd had was having to have the electric steering unit replaced.

My warranty is up in August 2011 and the dealer rep said my repair was warranted for one year or 12,000 miles. GM has had a problem with the electric steering for a very long time so I'm extremely concerned that the electric steering had to be replaced with only 8,000 miles. It may be time to by a new car from a GM competitor.

What a shame. Uncle Dewey
    Hi Christina:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for responding to my posting. ---- Please be assured that it is GREATLY appreciated. ----- The response to your question is YES! ----- I have an OUTSTANDING DEALER, both in terms of sales and service, and I DO NOT want to jeopardize my relationship with my dealer. ----This is not the dealer's fault. ---- Simply put, the quality of the Goodyear tire is not on the same level of the rest of the vehicle. ---- Before I purchased this vehicle, I search all the name plates, (foreign and domestic.) ---- I could have purchased a Honda, Hyundai, Ford or a Toyota. ---- I chose a Chevrolet because I liked the quality of the vehicle. ----- When I purchased this vehicle, I did not want the Goodyear tires, because I had a bad experience with them on a new vehicle in 1995 on the highway at 60mph. ----- But I was talked into keeping them. ----- On the test drive the vehicle seemed to drive and handle "ok," so I took the chance, and took delivery with the stock tires. ------ I choose to service my vehicle at the selling dealer every 2,500 miles. (oil and filters are cheap, ---- engines are expensive.) ---- This additional service means that my tire pressure is being monitored, and set more often than those customers who service their vehicle according to the book at 5,000 mile intervals. ----- The selling dealer DOES NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY to offer me a "trade in" and / or an "exchange" for Michelin tires. ---- The tires do not hold air over time! ----- If you take the time to research these tires on the "net," you will see additional problems associated with these tires. ---- If I choose to replace these tires with original equipment Michelin tires it will cost me $222.00 for each tire. That translates into $888.00 for a set of four tires. ---- My vehicle now has 8,000 + miles. ---- My vehicle is used mostly on the highway. ---- The best mileage I have every seen with this vehicle is 27mpg. ----- I have used different brands of fuel and different octanes. ---- The results are the same. ----- (The advertised mileage is between 30 to 33mpg.) ---- Tire construction has a lot to do with mileage. ---- If a tire does not roll freely, the mileage of the vehicle will suffer. ---- My major concern is my safety, and the safety of others who come in contact with my vehicle. ---- My second vehicle is a 2007 XLE V6 Toyota Camry with 62,000 + miles & a 6 speed automatic trans. On a road trip, I can easily get 30 mpg, and at times this can go up to 34 mpg. (This vehicle has original equipment type Michelin tires.) ------ The Malibu has a four cylinder engine, and a 6 speed automatic trans. ---- This vehicle should at least equal the mileage of the Camry. (If it doesn't, --- than what was the purpose of buying a 4 over a 6? I sacrificed performance by purchasing a 4 to get milage. ---- Now I do not get the mileage and I do have the performance. ----- The Camry will "snap your head back" when accelerating onto the highway, and I can easily get 30 mpg at 60 mph. ----- I believe that the lack of mileage is directly connected to the quality of the stock tires. ---- The dealer has been outstanding, and I will not identify the dealer on this open forum. ----- I will only identify the dealer if 'something positive" is going to happen with regards to this issue, and I will only do this either by phone or a private E-mail. ----- Short of that, I will make my own decision in terms of keeping these tires. (NOTE: ---- I have a 6 years extended warranty, and a prepaid oil and filter service contract, so I want to maintain a professional relationship with the dealer. ------ In addition, this issue is NOT the fault of the dealer. ---- This is a manufacturer's issue, so as such, I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO AN ADVERSARIAL POSITION WITH THE SELLING DEALER! ) ----- The dealer cannot offer me a trade in on the stock tires. --- This would have to come from GM! ---- Personally I like the vehicle. ------ Before the tire issue raised its ugly head, I was considering purchasing another GM vehicle, possibly a Buick Regal with a turbo. ----- Best regards. Thanks again for your time and concern. ----- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    the electronic assist steering issues were a common problem with the 04-07 Malibus.....but they GM seems to have corrected it in MY 08 and beyond....I have an 04 Maxx LT..with over 177K on it...and have no steering column problems at all.....I have had no major mechanical issues with it and it will be 7 years old next month...
  • I hope you are correct. Mine is a 2008 LTZ Malibu--so it is 2 1/2 years old with about 8,000 miles and the electric steering had to be replaced. My confidence level is not very good--would be nice if the GM rep butted in and give us some assurance, but....

Uncle Dewey
    Hi POA:

Kindly describe the symptoms of the "steering problem" on the Malibu LTZ vehicle. ------- Sometimes, when I stop to back into a parking space, the steering wheel becomes "stiff," until I start to move in reverse. Then it frees up, and acts in a normal fashion! ---- Does this resemble the symptoms that you have experienced? ------------ Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    uncledewey1,
    Has the problem been resolved? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • uncledewey1uncledewey1 Posts: 25
    edited February 2011
    Hi Christina,

The squeak is gone ever since the dealer replaced the internal steering gear. I was told the repair would be warranted for one year. What concerns me is I only had around 8,000 miles, plus I spoke with the owner of a 2005 Malibu who had the same problem. It seems GM has a weak link in the way the steering mechanism is made and GM has known about the problem before the "completely" redesigned Malibu in 2008. Since my vehicle's warranty will expire in August I'm concerned about having to replace the steering gear again at my expense which seems like it would be very expensive since they needed the vehicle the entire day.

At any rate, thank you very much for your concern, Uncle Dewey
    Hi All:

I just returned from a road trip with the Malibu. ---- The vehicle now has about 8,700 + miles. ----- I used 92 octane fuel on the trip, and I averaged 31.5 mpg at 60mph. ---- This is an improvement from 27mpg. ---- The air pressure in the tires is 31psi. ---- I cannot explain the jump in mileage, (from 27mpg to 31.5)! ---- The 92 octane fuel was purchased at "fast food road stops," so I cannot give you a brand name for the fuel! ----- Maybe the engine has broken in, and it is now more efficient! ---- The Malibu performed very well, (but not as good as my Camry V6 which also get easily 30mpg!) ---- I now feel much better about this vehicle. (At least I am getting the "miles per gallon!") ---- Maybe it is the premium fuel that did the trick??????? ----- Best regards. -------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    How do you know that you "averaged 31.5 mpg"?
    Hi Malexbu:

Based on the "on-board computer display!" ------ Prior to this reading, the display was showing a maximum of 27mpg on all trips! ------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Posts: 49
    edited February 2011
    with my 2008 4 cyl Malibu I was getting 30 mpg HWY DRIVING when I went from NJ to Va ,(reg octane ) . Average mpg for combo city / hwy driving , is approx 23 mpg... and My Trans is NOT six speed...., 4 speed . I will try a higher octane and see if it helps my MPG
    Hi Sidewunderz:

I was getting 27mpg in the past, and on this last trip, I got 31.5 mpg at 60mph. ---- During the course of the trip, the computer on the vehicle went as high as 34mpg., as long as I was traveling in traffic at 55mph. ------ I think this is "ok" for this vehicle with a 4 cylinder, and a 6 speed trans. --------- (My 2007 automatic - 6 speed V6 Toyota Camry gets 30mpg at 60 mph without a problem & it has GREAT performance!) ---- The Malibu lacks "passing power" on the highway staring at 60mph. ------- A Honda four cylinder could pull away from this vehicle with ease! ---- But this vehicle is "ok, and I can live with it!" ------ This engine NEEDS A TURBO like the Buick Regal! ------- Dwayne. :shades: ;) :)
    That's what I suspected. You shouldn't trust your "on-board computer display" (a.k.a. DIC). Unless there has been a dramatic improvement recently, it is very inaccurate. Buy fuel, record the distance, divide -- you may be surprised by the results. :-)
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    from what I read here does this mean you have never reset the DIC MPG display?...agree with another poster..I have found the DIC to be between 1.5 to 2 MPG off in the calculation....fill the tank.....drive a few hundred miles..then refill....divide miles by gallons used....you will see a difference!
  • 2008 Malibu LT1, V6, 27,000 miles
    I really enjoy this car and find it very comfortable. I experienced the following issues, which are disappointing:

Replace sway bar
    Replace brakes
    Replace steering shaft - replacement still has issues: grinding sound, click & resistance when turning right
    A couple of alignments - car wanders side to side
    Tires have slow leak

Overall get 25mpg per DIC
    All repairs completed under warranty. Dealer has been great to work with.
    Plan to schedule dealer visit next week for unresolved issues.
    Hi Bohemia1:

I will bet that the wandering problem, (from side to side), has a direct relationship to the tires. (I purchased a new 2010 Chevrolet LTZ 4 cylinder Malibu, and it came with Goodyear Eagle tires. ---- They are garbage! ---- They leak air! ---- They are an accident looking for a place to happen!) ---- I replaced Goodyear tires with Michelin tires, (AT MY OWN EXPENSE), and the vehicle operates totally different on both the dry pavement and in snow! ---- I no longer have an "air loss" problem! --- IF YOU HAVE GOODYEAR TIRES ON THIS VEHICLE, REPLACE THEM WITH MICHELIN TIRES! ------- Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: :shades:
    bohemia1,
    Please keep me updated on your progress at the dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Check your front drive axles, the longer one has a slip joint that fails. I believe it's the passenger side. Hope this helps
    Hi Bohemia:

Problems associated with Goodyear Eagle Tires:

1.) Early Balding.

2.) Uneven Tire Wearing

3.) Vibration

4.) Soft Sidewalls. ---- (The Sidewalls can bubble and begin to leak. ---- The soft sidewall can cause the tire to burst during travel. ----- This can cause a total loss of vehicle control.

QUESTIONS: ----- Do you want these tires on your vehicle? ----- Do you question why a new vehicle manufacturer would put these poor quality tires on a new vehicle? ---- Do you "THINK" that GM will ever give us the answers to these questions? ----- Do you "THINK" that GM will take responsibility for the accidents associated with these tire failures? ---- Would you purchase a GM vehicle with Goodyear Eagle tires on the vehicle? ----- Would you purchase another GM vehicle? -----

I would purchase another GM vehicle, but not with Goodyear Eagle tires. (The basic vehicle is an excellent product, but the choice of tires by GM shows a total lack of concern for safety, and a lack of concern for the welfare of the customer!) ----- The is a GM representative the monitors this board, and I would love to hear the GM official point of view on this subject!

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;)
  • I have a 2008 Saturn Aura XR, 6cyl with 31,000 miles on the car. It has the original 225/50R18 Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on it. It will need the tires replaced by 35,000 miles. The tires have performed well with even wear. I keep my tire pressure between 35 and 37 psi. My mileage varies from 18 mpg in the city to 32 mpg on the highway with a one time high of 35.3. It handles fine. If I need to look at other brands when I go to replace them, I don't know what I need to improve. At $108 per tire, I have no complaints.
  • bohemia1bohemia1 Posts: 33
    Thanks, I hope to have time to get it into the dealer next week.
    Hi ohc6sprint:

I am very happy that your set of Goodyear tires worked out well for you on your 2008 Saturn Aura, but on my 2010 Chevrolet 4 cylinder Malibu LTZ my Goodyear Tires, mounted on Aluminum / Alloy wheels were leaking air since I took delivery of the vehicle. ----- Upon researching these tires on the "net," I found that there were others problems associated with these tires. ---- If I did not feel strongly about the "poor quality of these tires," I would not have expended $800.00 + dollars on replacement tires. ----- (A "blow out," due to side wall failure at 60mph, could be deadly not only for the occupants of the vehicle, but also for other motorists on the road! --- As a driver, I have a responsibility for other people on the road in addition to myself and the occupants in my vehicle!) ------- I believe that GM knows that these tires are of a low quality. ----- (I could purchase a replacement Goodyear Eagle tire for my Malibu for $98.00 dollars, while a replacement Michelin Tire for the same Malibu cost $222.00 dollars.) ---- QUESTION: ---- Do you think there is a difference in quality? ----- ANSWER: ----- A big YES! ----- There is a GM representative on this site. ---- Notice that there has been no comment from GM on this issue! ------ Will I consider purchasing another GM vehicle in the future? ----- YES, ---- but I will negotiate a trade of tires in the purchase price of the vehicle. ---- If this is not possible, I will purchase another name plate vehicle. ----- I like the Malibu. ---- I like the way it handles. ----- The four cylinder's HP should be raised to about 200HP. ----- A Turbo would be a nice addition. ----- GM has a vehicle that they could expand upon in the future. ---- Picture a two door Malibu, (with either a four cylinder turbo dual exhaust engine, or a V6 dual exhaust engine backed by a 6 speed manual or a 6 speed automatic shiftable trans.) ----- A dark cherry, dark green or deep red should be included in the exterior color options. ----- This could be one "hot" machine! ---------------- Best regards. --------- :shades: ;) :)
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,193
    Using handsfree calling in our 2008 Malibu LS is convenient but ridiculously expensive. The 2008 Malibu does not have the Bluetooth option so I was wandering if it can be added to work as in the later models. If not, do you guys have a suggestion for an after-market handsfree Bluetooth set-up that works with the car's audio system? We have Bluetooth in our 2011 Buick Lacrosse and it is a joy to use, not to mention the calls are inexpensive through our AT&T cell phone plan rather than buying OnStar minutes at these outrageous prices.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    OK - Your Camry is far better than your Malibu -gets better mileage, probably had better tires, etc etc. Then why don't you simply turn in the Malibu and get another Camry. You can then complain about oil sludge problems, intermittent acceleration, amusingly overpriced dealer "recommended" service, crappy customer service from the manufacturer and so on. Also you will have a car that drives like a small Town Car, Your Grandpa will love it. It will remind him of his 1952 Roadmaster.

Regarding tires -the worst tire I ever had for mileage was a Uniroyal Laredo back in the '60's. All of the other OEM tires I've had on countless new cars were just fine. When they needed replacing I usually replaced them with the same brand and size. If I didn't like the ride or mileage I bought Michelins but I didn't buy new tires until I needed them.

The internet is full of complainers who complain about everything from tires to hotels. Most people who like something don't bother telling the world that they are happy. Unhappy people do just the opposite. If YOU are unhappy with a product buy something else. Nuff said.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    The steering gear/ column/ etc has been replaced twice on my 2009 Cobalt. So far it has been more than a year and everything is OK. I assume that GM has corrected the problem but if it happens again it should be fixed by the dealer free since it is a documented widespread problem.
    Hi dispence2:

Thank you for sharing your opinion.------ Your ideas are greatly appreciated, but your concept of my 2007 Toyota XLE V6 Camry, and my 2010 Chevrolet LTZ four cylinder Malibu is not accurate!

I never meant to imply that the Camry was better than the Malibu. (They are two different types of vehicles.) ---- The 2007 V6 Camry's advertised highway mileage is 30 mpg. --- On a long highway trip I have gotten as high as 34mpg. ----- On the other hand, the Malibu advertises a highway mileage of 33mpg, and to get this figure you have to drive the vehicle at 55mph. ----- I can get 30mpg on the Camry at 65mph with ease! ----- (I should be able to get the same mileage on the four cylinder Malibu at the same speed as the Camry.)

When I purchased the Camry, I also purchased a "Top-Of-The Line" extended warranty from Toyota for the maximum number of years and the maximum mileage. This vehicle is serviced by the selling dealer every 3,000 miles. (The oil and filter are changed and I use a BG / Motor Oil Additive. I do not have any sludge problems with the 3.5 Toyota Engine.) This vehicle has 63,000+ miles, and I have never experienced unintended acceleration, and my selling dealer gives me outstanding service. They get all of my business in terms of maintenance on this vehicle, (brakes, tires ----etc.) ----- This vehicle drives much softer than the Malibu, but I also like the ride of the Malibu. It reminds me of my 2003 four cylinder Honda Accord that I had prior to the Camry. ----- As far as performance, the Camry could easily stay with a stock Mustang coming out of the toll booth on the Garden State Parkway. (When I put the vehicle in passing gear at 60mph the vehicle will pin you to the seat!)

The Chevrolet Malibu is another story. ----- The original equipment Goodyear tires are worth $98.00 retail! (How good could these tires be in terms of quality?) ---- My four Goodyear Tires were losing air between oil and filter changes. ---- (I have this service performed at the selling dealer every 2,500 miles.) ---- In addition, I purchased the replacement Michelin HydoEdge Tires from the Chevrolet Dealer. ------ I enjoy driving the Malibu, and I think Chevrolet has come a long way in terms of producing a quality automobile, but they cheapened the product, when they installed the Goodyear tires. The Malibu with the Michelin Tires drives like a totally different automobile. It drives like a much heavier vehicle. (NOTE: ----- The Chevrolet Dealer is now a dealer for BG Products. ----- I am now using the BG oil additive in the engine at each oil and filter change.) ------ (Since you brought up a 1952 Roadmaster, kindly be advised that I has the pleasure to drive a beautiful 1951 gray Buick Roadmaster with a Dynaflow transmission. It was a beautiful ride! The only down side to this vehicle is that you could not afford to run this car on a regular basis with the cost of fuel.)

I know that you think that I am a complainer, but I am just reporting my opinion of my vehicles for the benefit of those people reading these postings. --- I replaced the tires on the Malibu because I felt that they were not safe. (They were an accident looking for a place to happen.) ------- If I had not replaced those tires, and I was involved in an accident because of those tires, I would have been a very unhappy person.

I think the 2010 Malibu is a very well designed vehicle. It needs better tires and a more powerful engine or the same engine with a Turbo. ---- I would like to see this vehicle as a two door vehicle with a 6 speed manual trans and dual exhaust with "glass packed mufflers." ----- With a Dark Cherry paint, body side moldings, pin-striping, and mud flaps this would be one "HOT" machine! ------ (I like the shiftable six speed automatic transmission. If you drive it in the proper fashion, it is easy to simulate a conventional stick shift.) -------- (Yes, it is possible to "run the gears!") ------

I am not an unhappy person. On the contrary, I am enjoying life. At this point in time, I am looking for a replacement to my 2007 Camry. (I want to get out of this vehicle at 90,000 miles.) After doing some research on the net, I have been reading that the Chevrolet Impala will be getting a new V6 engine and a six speed transmission in 2012. I will be looking at this vehicle. Some sites are reporting that the Malibu is going to be built on the same platform as the Buick Lacross. This could translate into the Malibu LTZ being a different vehicle, and something to consider.

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)