Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• I have seen Malibus with door guards whcih I suppose would help.

Uncle Dewey
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Posts: 49
    edited September 2010
    My 2008 Malibu LS came with pinstrips.I believe the dealer put it on.
    My exterior car color is Sandsone Metallic . The pinstrips are dark brown.
    I also have body side molding (factory)
    Anyway ,I had an 1996 all white Sunfire . I added black/red combo pinstrips and black door guards .It really added some pizzazz to an all white car . ;)
  • I purchased set of 20" rims and tires. I purchased chrome door handle covers, chrome door pillars and tinted the windows. I have a chrome grill I have yet to install but all around my 08 8:24:31 AM looks very sweet. People ask me what kind of car it is cause the look changed so much. Cosmetics do go a long way. They now have body kits if you really want to change the look.
  • What size were your original rims? My car has 16 inch so that really limits me. I can't afford to buy new rims, though. I had thought of buying the other grill, but I heard here in Florida where we have love bugs that they would get between the two grills, along with other bugs and it would be a big mess. If If my current size is 16 inches, I'm not sure if that's the wheel size or what? But the other models of Malibu currently being made have 17 they told me, so I can't use anything else currently made for Malibu. They said I could check and see what else might be made by Chevy for other models, as after market may not fit due to the way they are mounted.
  • What things are in the body kits? Are all the things you bought meant for a Malibu or after market?
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,545
    Wouldn't these work?

Chrome Malibu Wheel Covers

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• It's time to replace my wipers on my 08 Malibu LS
    I wanted to see if anyone has updated info about the correct ones that will fit properly.
    I went to Pep Boys. In their book they list the 2008 Malibu BUT they just don't look right. Are there confirmed brand names/ part numbers that I can pick up locally .... other than from my Chev dealer in NJ ?
    Thanks
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    There are a few aftermarket blades for them, google and you will find some. Another forum listed a few, don't have the link right now.
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Posts: 49
    edited December 2010
    Another forum mentioned •Rain-X Latitude- Version -2
    Went back to Pep Boys , they only had the Rain-X Latitude, though they look very good regarding wiper construction . Another one in ANCO .
    I'll check their websites for installation instuctions . I hate those adapters LOL.
    I'll keep checking... maybe ordering online
    Don't want to spend $70 from a Chev dealer .Thanks
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi All:

I need some help from the Malibu Owners. ----- One of my two vehicles is a New 2010 Chevrolet LTZ Malibu with a 4 cylinder engine, and a 6 speed automatic transmission. ----- My other vehicle is a 2007 XLE V6 Toyota Camry with a 6 speed automatic transmission. --- On a long highway trip, I can get between 30 & 33 miles per gallon with the Camry, but I can only get 27 MPG with the Malibu. ---- The Camry has Michelin Tires, and the Malibu has Goodyear Eagle tires. ----- Recently, I have been noticing that the tires on the Malibu loose air. The vehicle is serviced every 2,500 miles, and the tire pressure is set at 30psi, and at the end of the month I have 28psi on all four tires. ----- (This could be the reason for the lower mileage.) ----- I also have been noticing that there has been a lot posted on the poor quality of the Goodyear tires. ----- QUESTION: ---- has anyone had any experience with the Goodyear tires on a Chevrolet Malibu? ------ Best regards. ---------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :) :confuse:
    Hi All:

I have decided to remove the Goodyear Eagle tires from my 2010 Malibu. These tires are an "accident" looking for a place to happen. ---- After doing some research on the "net" I came up with the following issues:

1.) Tread separating from around the tire.
    2.) Split in the tire surface area.
    3.) Cracks in the inner and outer side wall.
    4.) Slow leak between the tire and the rim.
    5.) Uneven wearing.
    6.) Soft sidewalls.
    7.) The smallest potholes create bubbles in the tire which effectively make them prone to blowouts.
    8.) Weak construction, ---- poor tread wear and poor wet traction.
    9.) Poor durability. They wear out fast.
    10.) Tires can blow without warning.
    11.) When they start to fail there is a "shimming" when driving at 65 / 70 miles per hour that cannot be balanced out.
    12.) Tire separation.
    13.) Cracking around the inside bead of the tire at the rim.

I cannot be on a long road trip, and be worrying about a major tire failure. ------ I would have not done a search on the quality of these tires had I not noticed that my tires were leaking air. ----- I still love the Chevrolet Malibu and the way it handles on the road, and I have an outstanding dealer, but I think GM should put a better quality original equipment tire on this vehicle. ------ They have an excellent product and they could make it even better. ------- TIRES are VERY IMPORTANT. -------- How much more would it add to the MSRP to put a higher quality tire on the LTZ Malibu?

Best regards. --------------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Chevy is noted for poor tires.
    Shouldn't that be "Goodyear is noted for poor tires"?

• imontoyaimontoya Posts: 29
    edited January 2011
    The OEM tires on most cars are a compromise tire or the cheapest bulk buy the manufacturer could come up with. The OEM replacement tires for my '08 Malibu LTZ are half the cost of the tires a couple of people in another forum recommended. I have no idea what tire to replace them with though, I certainly don't want to spend $180 per tire.
    Hi imontoya:

I have decided to "bite the bullet" and purchase new Michelin Tires. ---- When I made the deal on this vehicle, I did not want the Goodyear tires! ----- I allowed myself to be talked into this purchase. --------- THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN! ----- (This decision is cast in stone and written in blood.) ------- The next vehicle that I purchase (2012) will have Michelin tires on it, or I walk out of the showroom! ----- (YES, it will be a deal breaker!) ------ If the dealer wants to sell me a vehicle, he / she will have to trade out the existing tires for Michelin OEM tires. ------ I HAVE LEARNED A BIG LESSON. ----- (Listen to that little voice when making a deal!) ---- Recognize that what goes around in life does come around in life! ------ (I will be in the market for a new car in 2012, because my other vehicle will have high mileage. I could purchase a Chevrolet Impala, a Toyota Camry, a Honda Accord, a loaded Hyundai Sonata) ----- This is the reason why American Manufacturers have suffered in the marketplace since the 70s. ---- If I would have purchased a Honda Accord, I would have Michelin tires on the vehicle. ----- I would bet that a Hyundai Sonata has Michelin Tires, but Chevrolet puts on "bottom of the line tires" on their top of the line Malibu. ----- What is wrong with this picture????????????? ---- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
    If you went to a Goodyear dealer to replace those tires with the same ones, you might be surprised at the price. They are not cheap.

As for your speculation of Michelins on a Sonata, it is simply that. I suspect they may supply Hankooks as the OEM tire.

• smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I know the Sonata comes OEM with Kumho's and I believe most of the Hyundai line-up does as well. Sorry, no Michelin's for you. If you want OEM Michelin's you have to go to Honda or certain Toyota's.
    Hi ab348:

I recognize that tires are VERY expensive! ----- Both the tire manufacturers and the vehicle manufacturers have an obligation to produce a "quality / safe product." ----- These tires are not safe based on what has been posted on the "net" dealing with this product. ---- Do you remember the issues with Firestone and the Ford Explorer? ----- Everyone denied responsibility! ---- QUESTION: ---- Why must the consumer be exposed to possible injury before corrective action is taken? ---- One of the signs of a "defective tire" is a slow leak between the tire and the rim of the wheel. ---- When a tire looses air, the side walls will flex. This action over time will cause damage to the tire's construction. ------ The problem with these tires is that they have a weak side wall, and as such, it does not make a tight seal with the mating rim of the aluminum wheel. ---- I am VERY sure that both GM and Chevrolet are aware of this condition, but they are waiting to see if the issue is going to hit media before they do anything about the problem. ----- How many people have to be injured or killed before it becomes an important issue on which to take action?---- This tire exchange is costing me about $1,000.00 dollars. Do I want to spend this money, NO! ---- But how would I feel, knowing that there are problems with these tires and someone gets hurt or killed because I did not take this action. ---- I believe the dealer should buy back these tires based on mileage of use, and allow the customer to pay the difference for new tires of choice! ----- This will never happen, until someone who owns these vehicles gets injured and / or killed and legal action is taken. Then everyone will run for cover, each blaming the other for the injuries. Of course, in any accident, the driver is always blamed. It is always driver error. If the tires are loosing air, the driver is blamed for hitting holes in the road. If there are bulges in the side wall, the driver is blamed for hitting the curbs. (The manufacturer never tells anyone that the side wall of the tire is weak!) ------ In the future, (2012) I will be purchasing a new vehicle. That vehicle will have a set of four "Original Equipment Michelin Tires" if the dealer wants to sell me that vehicle. ----- Best regards to all. --------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :) :mad:
    I'm just saying that you may be overstating the problem. These Goodyear Eagle LS tires are used on literally millions of cars and not just GM cars either. I had a set that came as standard on my '02 Intrigue. They were mediocre tires in terms of treadwear and noise but I had no safety issues with them. I currently have a set of Eagle LSIIs on my '09 Buick and have had no problems either. Would I buy them as replacements? No. In fact when I replaced them on the Intrigue I went to Michelins and was very pleased. But I do not have any sense they are a failure on anything approaching the scale of the Firestone/Explorer saga.

Thank you for your reply! ---- This is my situation. ----- I have a 2010 four cylinder LTZ Malibu. This vehicle is serviced every 2,500 miles. (My choice as I travel extensively for my job, and I need dependable transportation.) ----- This translates into having the oil and filter changed and the tire pressure set to 30 pounds. ------ After four weeks after the service, the tire pressure is down to 28 pounds. This has occurred since the vehicle was new. ---- There must be a leak between the tire and the rim when the tire flexes. ----- (Soft side walls or a problem with the tire bead.) ---- I could understand if one tire had this problem, but all four tires??????????????? The maximum mpg on the road with this vehicle is 27mpg. I should be getting between 30 to 33. One of the reasons for the lower mpg could be the tire pressure. ----- Soft tires do not roll easily. ---- QUESTION: ---- Do your tires loose air on your Buick? ---- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)