Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    bohemia1,
    Please keep me updated on your progress at the dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Check your front drive axles, the longer one has a slip joint that fails. I believe it's the passenger side. Hope this helps
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi Bohemia:

Problems associated with Goodyear Eagle Tires:

1.) Early Balding.

2.) Uneven Tire Wearing

3.) Vibration

4.) Soft Sidewalls. ---- (The Sidewalls can bubble and begin to leak. ---- The soft sidewall can cause the tire to burst during travel. ----- This can cause a total loss of vehicle control.

QUESTIONS: ----- Do you want these tires on your vehicle? ----- Do you question why a new vehicle manufacturer would put these poor quality tires on a new vehicle? ---- Do you "THINK" that GM will ever give us the answers to these questions? ----- Do you "THINK" that GM will take responsibility for the accidents associated with these tire failures? ---- Would you purchase a GM vehicle with Goodyear Eagle tires on the vehicle? ----- Would you purchase another GM vehicle? -----

I would purchase another GM vehicle, but not with Goodyear Eagle tires. (The basic vehicle is an excellent product, but the choice of tires by GM shows a total lack of concern for safety, and a lack of concern for the welfare of the customer!) ----- The is a GM representative the monitors this board, and I would love to hear the GM official point of view on this subject!

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;)
  • I have a 2008 Saturn Aura XR, 6cyl with 31,000 miles on the car. It has the original 225/50R18 Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on it. It will need the tires replaced by 35,000 miles. The tires have performed well with even wear. I keep my tire pressure between 35 and 37 psi. My mileage varies from 18 mpg in the city to 32 mpg on the highway with a one time high of 35.3. It handles fine. If I need to look at other brands when I go to replace them, I don't know what I need to improve. At $108 per tire, I have no complaints.
  • bohemia1bohemia1 Posts: 33
    Thanks, I hope to have time to get it into the dealer next week.
    Hi ohc6sprint:

I am very happy that your set of Goodyear tires worked out well for you on your 2008 Saturn Aura, but on my 2010 Chevrolet 4 cylinder Malibu LTZ my Goodyear Tires, mounted on Aluminum / Alloy wheels were leaking air since I took delivery of the vehicle. ----- Upon researching these tires on the "net," I found that there were others problems associated with these tires. ---- If I did not feel strongly about the "poor quality of these tires," I would not have expended $800.00 + dollars on replacement tires. ----- (A "blow out," due to side wall failure at 60mph, could be deadly not only for the occupants of the vehicle, but also for other motorists on the road! --- As a driver, I have a responsibility for other people on the road in addition to myself and the occupants in my vehicle!) ------- I believe that GM knows that these tires are of a low quality. ----- (I could purchase a replacement Goodyear Eagle tire for my Malibu for $98.00 dollars, while a replacement Michelin Tire for the same Malibu cost $222.00 dollars.) ---- QUESTION: ---- Do you think there is a difference in quality? ----- ANSWER: ----- A big YES! ----- There is a GM representative on this site. ---- Notice that there has been no comment from GM on this issue! ------ Will I consider purchasing another GM vehicle in the future? ----- YES, ---- but I will negotiate a trade of tires in the purchase price of the vehicle. ---- If this is not possible, I will purchase another name plate vehicle. ----- I like the Malibu. ---- I like the way it handles. ----- The four cylinder's HP should be raised to about 200HP. ----- A Turbo would be a nice addition. ----- GM has a vehicle that they could expand upon in the future. ---- Picture a two door Malibu, (with either a four cylinder turbo dual exhaust engine, or a V6 dual exhaust engine backed by a 6 speed manual or a 6 speed automatic shiftable trans.) ----- A dark cherry, dark green or deep red should be included in the exterior color options. ----- This could be one "hot" machine! ---------------- Best regards. --------- :shades: ;) :)
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,059
    Using handsfree calling in our 2008 Malibu LS is convenient but ridiculously expensive. The 2008 Malibu does not have the Bluetooth option so I was wandering if it can be added to work as in the later models. If not, do you guys have a suggestion for an after-market handsfree Bluetooth set-up that works with the car's audio system? We have Bluetooth in our 2011 Buick Lacrosse and it is a joy to use, not to mention the calls are inexpensive through our AT&T cell phone plan rather than buying OnStar minutes at these outrageous prices.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 294
    OK - Your Camry is far better than your Malibu -gets better mileage, probably had better tires, etc etc. Then why don't you simply turn in the Malibu and get another Camry. You can then complain about oil sludge problems, intermittent acceleration, amusingly overpriced dealer "recommended" service, crappy customer service from the manufacturer and so on. Also you will have a car that drives like a small Town Car, Your Grandpa will love it. It will remind him of his 1952 Roadmaster.

Regarding tires -the worst tire I ever had for mileage was a Uniroyal Laredo back in the '60's. All of the other OEM tires I've had on countless new cars were just fine. When they needed replacing I usually replaced them with the same brand and size. If I didn't like the ride or mileage I bought Michelins but I didn't buy new tires until I needed them.

The internet is full of complainers who complain about everything from tires to hotels. Most people who like something don't bother telling the world that they are happy. Unhappy people do just the opposite. If YOU are unhappy with a product buy something else. Nuff said.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 294
    The steering gear/ column/ etc has been replaced twice on my 2009 Cobalt. So far it has been more than a year and everything is OK. I assume that GM has corrected the problem but if it happens again it should be fixed by the dealer free since it is a documented widespread problem.
    Hi dispence2:

Thank you for sharing your opinion.------ Your ideas are greatly appreciated, but your concept of my 2007 Toyota XLE V6 Camry, and my 2010 Chevrolet LTZ four cylinder Malibu is not accurate!

I never meant to imply that the Camry was better than the Malibu. (They are two different types of vehicles.) ---- The 2007 V6 Camry's advertised highway mileage is 30 mpg. --- On a long highway trip I have gotten as high as 34mpg. ----- On the other hand, the Malibu advertises a highway mileage of 33mpg, and to get this figure you have to drive the vehicle at 55mph. ----- I can get 30mpg on the Camry at 65mph with ease! ----- (I should be able to get the same mileage on the four cylinder Malibu at the same speed as the Camry.)

When I purchased the Camry, I also purchased a "Top-Of-The Line" extended warranty from Toyota for the maximum number of years and the maximum mileage. This vehicle is serviced by the selling dealer every 3,000 miles. (The oil and filter are changed and I use a BG / Motor Oil Additive. I do not have any sludge problems with the 3.5 Toyota Engine.) This vehicle has 63,000+ miles, and I have never experienced unintended acceleration, and my selling dealer gives me outstanding service. They get all of my business in terms of maintenance on this vehicle, (brakes, tires ----etc.) ----- This vehicle drives much softer than the Malibu, but I also like the ride of the Malibu. It reminds me of my 2003 four cylinder Honda Accord that I had prior to the Camry. ----- As far as performance, the Camry could easily stay with a stock Mustang coming out of the toll booth on the Garden State Parkway. (When I put the vehicle in passing gear at 60mph the vehicle will pin you to the seat!)

The Chevrolet Malibu is another story. ----- The original equipment Goodyear tires are worth $98.00 retail! (How good could these tires be in terms of quality?) ---- My four Goodyear Tires were losing air between oil and filter changes. ---- (I have this service performed at the selling dealer every 2,500 miles.) ---- In addition, I purchased the replacement Michelin HydoEdge Tires from the Chevrolet Dealer. ------ I enjoy driving the Malibu, and I think Chevrolet has come a long way in terms of producing a quality automobile, but they cheapened the product, when they installed the Goodyear tires. The Malibu with the Michelin Tires drives like a totally different automobile. It drives like a much heavier vehicle. (NOTE: ----- The Chevrolet Dealer is now a dealer for BG Products. ----- I am now using the BG oil additive in the engine at each oil and filter change.) ------ (Since you brought up a 1952 Roadmaster, kindly be advised that I has the pleasure to drive a beautiful 1951 gray Buick Roadmaster with a Dynaflow transmission. It was a beautiful ride! The only down side to this vehicle is that you could not afford to run this car on a regular basis with the cost of fuel.)

I know that you think that I am a complainer, but I am just reporting my opinion of my vehicles for the benefit of those people reading these postings. --- I replaced the tires on the Malibu because I felt that they were not safe. (They were an accident looking for a place to happen.) ------- If I had not replaced those tires, and I was involved in an accident because of those tires, I would have been a very unhappy person.

I think the 2010 Malibu is a very well designed vehicle. It needs better tires and a more powerful engine or the same engine with a Turbo. ---- I would like to see this vehicle as a two door vehicle with a 6 speed manual trans and dual exhaust with "glass packed mufflers." ----- With a Dark Cherry paint, body side moldings, pin-striping, and mud flaps this would be one "HOT" machine! ------ (I like the shiftable six speed automatic transmission. If you drive it in the proper fashion, it is easy to simulate a conventional stick shift.) -------- (Yes, it is possible to "run the gears!") ------

I am not an unhappy person. On the contrary, I am enjoying life. At this point in time, I am looking for a replacement to my 2007 Camry. (I want to get out of this vehicle at 90,000 miles.) After doing some research on the net, I have been reading that the Chevrolet Impala will be getting a new V6 engine and a six speed transmission in 2012. I will be looking at this vehicle. Some sites are reporting that the Malibu is going to be built on the same platform as the Buick Lacross. This could translate into the Malibu LTZ being a different vehicle, and something to consider.

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    edited March 2011
    I frequently read these forums and rarely reply or post anything. You certainly are entitled to your opinions. But if you think they benefit other readers, you might want to reconsider. Your posts are way to long and much too repetitive. I for one am tired of reading about your tires and what GM should do. I am at point where I am skipping over anything with your name on it. Sorry, but that's just my opinion.
  • malexbumalexbu Posts: 169
    I second sgr5516.

djm2, more than one of these boards' dwellers have shown good will to you, sharing what we know. You returned nothing, not confirming any of your statements with any measured data. Nobody can tell you not to post here, but I, for one, will no longer bother replying to you, unless you change your style. At this point in time, you are a joke in my book, sorry to tell you (your replying me in kind will not bother me.)
    Hi malexbu:

Thank you for sharing your opinion and feelings with me, and the group of people that read this board. ----- I appreciate your honesty. ------ I do not understand your "annoyance with me" with regards to my postings. ---- My goal, with regards to my postings, was to share "pertinent material" that might be helpful to other Malibu owners. ------ QUESTION: What is wrong with this purpose? ----- Did I in some way offend you?

I do not understand the intent of your comments. I think I was very accurate with regards to my issues with the Goodyear tires. ---- I service my vehicle every 2,500 miles, and I was losing air between service intervals. ---- I decided to replace the original equipment tires with a higher quality tire, (Michelin HydroEdge). ----- This was done based on my research on the "Net" with regards to the quality and defects associated with the Goodyear Eagle Tires. (If you care to do the research just type up "Goodyear Eagle Tire Problems!")

Everyone is entitled to their opinion in terms of quality and performance of the Chevrolet Malibu, and the tires installed at the factory. ------ (I am NOT an engineer nor do I have the time to do a scientific research study. I use a vehicle as a tool for my career. I want my vehicle to run in a "state of the art fashion" on a daily basis, which is why I have my Malibu serviced every 2,500 at the selling dealer) ----- When I purchased this vehicle I compared it to the 2003 four cylinder Accord that I owned prior to the Camry. The 2010 four cylinder Malibu handled very similarly to the 2003 Honda Accord. I DID NOT purchased the 2010 Accord because the seats were very uncomfortable, especially the back of the bucket seat. On the other side of the issue, the Malibu had much more comfortable seats. The Accord came with original equipment Michelin tires, while the Malibu came with original equipment Goodyear Eagle tires.

When I experienced the loss of air between service intervals, I had the tires inflated to 32psi hoping to seat the tire against the aluminum wheel. ------ Even at the higher pressure the tires continued to lose air. ----- Prior to installing the new Michelin tires I had the aluminum alloy wheels tested for porosity. If they were porous the wheels could have been coated with an epoxy coating. The installation of the new tires was a long process because of the wheel testing, tires installation, wheel balancing and four wheel alignment. ----- NOTE, I have NOT lost any air since the new tires were installed. The logical deduction from this experience is that I had four tires that in some way were porous, or the seal at the aluminum wheel was defective! -------- QUESTION: ---- How much more data do you want on this subject? ----- I apologize if I have offended you in some way. ----- Since I paid for the new Michelin tires and the service associated with this process, I think I have a right to my own opinion with regards to the quality of the Goodyear Eagle Tires. ----- REMEMBER, I am responsible for my safety, and the safety of the people who ride in my vehicle, and the other people on the road. ----- I made a decision to replace what I consider to be a defective set of tires. I posted the reasons for that decision and I stand by my decision. ---- The Malibu drives like a totally different vehicle with the Michelin Tires. It handles very good both in the snow and on wet pavement. It drives like a much heavier vehicle. In my opinion, I think GM should have installed these tires on the vehicle at the factory.

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    DJM2

your missing his point here...you have repeated this same story in almost every post you have made...I beleive the general consensus is they get it....

the tires, the camry, the MPG, the leaking air..etc.....

no need to keep repeating it over and over again

have a great day!
    HI Pao:
    I understand you comment! ----- I post in a complete fashion, so someone reading a "current posting" can understand both the "issue" and the "solution." -----
    I always post in a VERY PROFESSIONAL manner.

Best regards! ---------- Dwayne :confuse: :shades: ;) :)
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Dwayne are you using nitrogen in your Michelins? It seems to me that in a previous post you stated that you had switched to nitrogen. It is rather unfair to compare tires with nitrogen to the goodyears without nitrogen. The goodyears might have very well held the nitrogen. By the way goodyear makes some excellent tires, just at a higher price than the ones you had. Also take it for what it is worth, but you do tend to repeat yourself over and over.
    Hi bdyment:

If "nitrogen" was the solution to the problem, (which is hard to believe), why wasn't it installed at the factory? ----- Why didn't the GM representative, (who monitors this board), recommend this solution? ----- Answer: ---- It was not the solution!

Best regards. -------------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
    Dwayne You didn't answer the question. Are you using nitrogen now?
    Nitrogen would be quite expensive to factory fill all cars. Expensive to top up later by car owners.
    Hi bdyment:

Kindly be advised that I am using Nitrogen in my new Michelin HydroEdge tires, and they are holding pressure!

Best regards. ------------------ Dwayne :shades:
    What do you have to pay for nitrogen in your area?