Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• whooleywhooley Posts: 1
    So I’m stumped on how this happened.
    I have a 2009 Malibu and just had to replace my tires (and 2 bent rims, Dam steel hubs) and found that my Malibu LT has the rims and tires for a Malibu Hybrid. Now I’m not complaining much because they come with the chrome caps instead of the brushed caps and I like the look of a wider tire. I’m stumped because I have done some searching and all the 2009 Malibu models have the P225/50R17 93S tires except the Hybrid that has the P225/55R17 93S. Now I have ran my VIN # multiple times through different websites and all of them show that I have the LT model not the Hybrid and looking under the hood it is obvious it is not a Hybrid but yet even on my door sticker it states that the car is to have the P225/55R17 93S tires. I guess I can understand typos and straight up mistakes but this just surprised me and threw my tire guy for a loop when he looked up what should be on there and what the sticker said.

Also FYI, I found replacement hubcaps on Amazon for $70 for a full set, where as the dealer wants $120 per cap.

Does anyone have any insight on putting on a cold air intake or any other motor upgrades on the 4 cylinder to get more power out of it?
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    edited August 2011
    there are no engine mods that Im aware of to get more power out of the std 4 banger in the malibu.....cold air intake does nothing unless you complete the entire breathing system of the engine to include headers, hi-flow cat, exhaust etc in my experience....simply adding a CAI gives you "growl" more than anything else.....more power means the V-6 in this line....

This engine isnt meant for tuning IMHO....

As far as tire and rim mixup....would attribute it to just that..perhaps when that car was assembled they were short the standard set so simply put on the "hybrid" set....the size difference specified is inconsequential for this car...nothing more than a guess however on how or why it occurred
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2011
    I received an invitation from a local Chevy dealer guaranteeing a trade-in allowance of $15,255 on my 2008 Malibu LS. When I got there I was told that this promotion was run by Black Book and that the amount quoted in the invitation was merely designed to get me into the showroom.

After making us wait, (and wait, and wait) and haggling with the salesman and sales manager for over three hours, we left in disgust. In short, they would not honor the trade-in price nor would they sell the new car at less than MSRP.

What do you think, should I report this dealer to the Massachusetts Department of Consumer Protection? or at least to GM? I thought the blatant practice of bait and switch was illegal but this Chevy dealer did not seem to care.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,739
    That's the kind of situation that should be reported. With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been interesting to walk in and not mention the invitation or trade-in promise, find a car on the lot that interested you, get their pricing, and then present the offer you received. It would have been even better if you had someone with you from the Office of Consumer Protection or some similar agency.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• I agree .That should be reported .Hopefully a GM customer service rep will see this here and take some action :(
  • Ever since I was a little kid -and I'm 70, my family got those mailers -"We have a buyer for your 19XX Chevrolet/ Olds etc". When you got to the dealer it was the same as above. This is NOT bait and switch. This is a dealer who is a crook and you shouldn't have even bothered with him once you discovered that he wan't going to give you $15k for your Malibu. The $15k come on was not worth the gas to drive over to the dealer. If you are VERY lucky you will get loan value. Check at the library for a NAPA Blue Book for loan value. This is the amount a buyer would get from a bank for your car and it isn't $15k when a new base model is only about $19k with the current rebates/discounts.

I don't deal with dealers who play games nor do I deal with any company that speeds up the "small print" in a radio ad. At my dealership the sales manager sits down at a computer with me - orders the car for a couple hundred over invoice, factors in rebates, and I pay him when the car comes in. It takes about 10 minutes if that and I can also take care of this on the phone. Why people "haggle" or spend hours in a showroom messing with sales people who know less about the cars than they do and have no authority to make any deal is beyond me.

Find a small dealership in the country with a low overhead and make friends. You won't have a large selection to choose from but buying a car off the lot is stupid unless it is too late in the model year to order one or the car on the lot has EXACTLY what you would order. The dealer isn't going to discount the car just because it is on his lot unless it is the end of the year or unless it is a demo.
  • mjs12mjs12 Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of buying a 2009 Malibu 2LT from a dealership. After reading some of the issues that this car has, I'm having second thoughts. Before I drop over $14,000 on this car, I would appreciate some feedback. I did take it on a short test drive and it performed well. Is there anythng that I need to know before I go back to the dealership tomorrow??
    Info on the car-
    32,000 miles
    sunroof, heated seats, wood accent trim
    2.4 liter
    not sure if it has the 6 speed or 4 speed trans.
    There is a carfax, but I have not seen it yet.
  • I have had my used 2008 Malibu for almost 2 years. It had 40K when I got it. The only problems I've had have been electronic and the dealership has covered all of it, even after it was not longer in warrantee. I don't think it gets very good mileage though. I hear the new one, I don' remember the name, gets much better mileage. But it's a smaller car. Mine has the same engine as yours, but it's an automatic, I'm not sure about my transmission. Yours is a lot fancier than mine. I only paid 11K for mine (before all those charges they put on. Mine is a certified used car. I suggest you get one that is certified. Mine came with the regular warrantee that a new car comes with, and they extended parts of it.
  • mjs12mjs12 Posts: 2
    I was able to give mine a longer test drive today, it drove great. The only issue that i had was at 60mph and above, it has a low humming sound coming from somewhere in the car. It may be the tires,(Firestone) but i told the salesperson that i need it to go away before i buy this vehicle. Being that it's still under warranty, he said that thy would make it right. I'll find out more on Tuesday.
  • I agree with what you told them. When I bought my car (it had 40K on it) they fixed everything except the people that had it before scratched the chevy emblem on the steering wheel. I didn't notice that was not fixed til I started to drive away with the car. They told me it was attached to the stupid air bag and could not be removed wihtout replacing the air bag. It bugs me to this day but I can understand them not wanting to replace the air bag. Have them check the tires carefully. At just under 60K my tires started coming apart. I don't know how long I've kept tires before, but I had to replace two at the beginning of a month and two at the end. It was weird. I hope you enjoy the car. The only thing I don't like about mine is it does not have fancy hubcaps or wheels. And I don't know how to find some.
  • Hi Everyone. I bought my white Malibu used and it came with very plain hubcaps. I assumed I could buy fancier ones, but Chevy, I'm told does not make them for this size Malibu. I think my wheels are 16 inches. Since they have an open look, I'm told if I buy after market ones I should buy ones that are open to let something get air. Does anyone know where I can get sharp looking hubcaps. I don't know where to look, and really feel the car needs to be dressed up. The hubcaps or wheels really make a difference. I can't afford thousands for real wheels. (I think that's what they're called.) Also, has anyone had stripes put on their Malibu. Mine is white and I think I'd like blue stripes to give it more personality. My old Sunfire even though it had hubcaps and not real wheels, had really nice hubcaps that gave it personality. I also liked it's color better, but they did not have any used red Malibus in the whole state at the time
    Thanks.
  • Another thought. There will be a new Impala in 14. I owned a 2006 Impala LT2 for a year or so until I took an 8 hour trip to Denver in it. The last three hours were agony because the seats are too short and there is no thigh support. Talk about aches! I dumped the car as soon as I got back -drove my Cadillac DeVille until I bought the 11 Malibu. I've taken it on some long 8 hour trips and the seats are just fine. I wouldn't dream of recommending an Impala. Nice car and rides ok but the seats are a real problem on long trips.
  • I bought a used LTZ with 42K miles which was working perfectly. All of a sudden one morning, it would not start up at all. The problem was diagnosed to be a faulty/erased?? control board and body control model which I had replaced. Now everything ie lights, horn, wiper, comes back on once the key is turned in the ignition, but the engine will still not start. There is also no sound from the radio.

How can this be fixed??
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    Take it back, tell them not fixed.
  • You can remove and replace that emblem. I did it when my GF's kid threw a matchbox car and dented mine. It is attached via metal tabs that wrap around the plastic.

I ordered a replacement emblem on Ebay and then used a pick to pull the old one up. You will have to pull up on it pretty hard to unbend the clips and the old one will be trashed. I shortened the tabs on the new emblem by clipped them since you will not be able to bend it under the plastic and set the new one in place of the old one. It is pretty secure once set in place.

The solution was much better than the price the dealer gave me.
  • Hello.. Wondering if u ever got this problem fixed?! If you did please notify me how! Please im having big problems with my car
  • Yesterday my dad went to turn off his 2010 Malibu and he noticed that his head lights would not turn off. He got back into the car and turned it back on, he then noticed that the check engine light was on, as well as the ABS, and low tire air light. His Security light may have also stayed on as well. The only way he could shut everything down was by disconnecting the battery. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what could cause this to happen? :confuse: :confuse:
  • csmjvhcsmjvh Posts: 2
    I would recommend he take his car to an Autozone and have them check the battery and charging system. I was having problems with my TPMS sensors and check engine light coming on. I fought with the dealer as they said everything was working properly. The dealer said my car battery dying, the mechanic showed me that it the amps were not up there. The voltage was fine. I took it to autozone and replaced the car battery and all the problems went away. I guess the low amp condition can cause alot of issues with the computer.
    :)
  • Had the Electronic Control Model reprogrammed...worked in my case.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    cometa89,

Is your Malibu also a 2009? Let us know if we can check into anything further on this with your involved dealership (if applicable), or if you want for us to get you warranty or recall information. We can be contacted by email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

Sarah, GM Customer Service