Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,694
    goes as fast as a manual when in the CVT paddle-shifting mode. There is no messing with the clutch and you just punch it and accelerate as fast and paddle-shift as fast as you want. It works flawlessly, too. I think you'll like it.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• So I test drove a Lancer GTS and a Mazda 3 Grand Touring S last night.

My friend HATES the Lancer's transmission and showed me that the Mazda's sporttronic responds WAY better than the lancer's does. I felt that the Mazda 3 had a smoother ride and felt like a more solid car overall.

I am still having a tough time deciding because the Mazda is $2000 more and doesnt have the touch screen NAV....I got quoted for insurance and the Lancer will be $96 a month while the Mazda would be $106.

I was turned off a little bit by the noises the engine of the lancer makes in first gear and by the smells of the breaks and chemicals the lancer was emitting while driving it

It is such a tough call for me to make...I feel like I get more features in the lancer at a cheaper price, but the mazda comes with leather and HID headlights....URRRGGGG I cant decide haha

I am gonna probably test drive the Lancer again tomorrow and compare maintenance prices and make a decision and will hopefully be driving a new car by late tomorrow afternoon!
    to the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in the looks department. To me there's no anquish at all making that decision. But don't let me influence you....buy what you like! I just don't like the Mazda3's blocky chunky looks, they're not anywhere near as hot as the new Lancer's, IMHO. :blush:

• oh yeah...the lancer blows the mazda out of the water in the looks department haha
  • I actually just made a little comparison for myself:

Lancer GTS vs. Mazda 3 S Grand Touring

Prices after tax--- Lancer: $24986.50, Mazda: $25,096.50

Engine & Transmision-- Edge goes to the Mazda on this one with more HP and smoother sporttronic

Lighting: Mazda has the edge with HID's and LED tail lights

Sound: Pretty much a wash....the RF in the lancer hits harder, but the bose system has more clarity

Looks: Lancer by a landslide

NAV: at this price the mazda doesnt have a NAV and the lancer has the awesome touch screen

Seating: Edge goes to the mazda with the leather seats

Insurance cost: Lancer $96/mo, mazda $106/mo

Warranty: Lancer has 5 year and 10 year, mazda only 3 and 5 year

It is so close cuz the HID's and leather are REALLY nice upgrades and the nav isnt really all that neccesary....but the looks....man the lancer is way better looking haha

I should be driving away in one of these 2 cars in about 15 hours!
  • some would consider leather to be a downgrade :p
    the tension mounts as to which car lovethelancer selects! I think she'll pick the Lancer GTS for 2008. Just a "feeling" I'm picking up from the Pacific NW to the SE Arizona desert, I dunno. :D

• Haha luvmysephia I'm a dude!

I'm leaning toward the Lancer, but I am going to make my decision in a couple of hours when I go to the dealership and drive them again!
    sorry about the gender mistake! Yikes.

Now you're perfectly justified in buying the Mazda3, man!

Drive 'em and make your best decision. Either car you pick will be a great car, I think. I am even starting to like the Mazda2, which shares drivetrains with the new Ford Fiesta that will be coming to America in 2010. I like both of those subcompact designs a lot.

Get back on here as soon as ya know, OK, lovethelencer? I think you're gonna go Mitsubishi on this one, but pick the one ya like the best and have fun. Happy test driving!

• I didnt even test drive the mazda again today. The price difference was just too much.

I ended up getting the Silver GTS with Nav and S&S and CVT

I ended up paying MSRP (22715) + $800 for GAP insurance and then they talked me into a car care maintenance package where I get 5 years of oil changes, brake maintenance, and tire rotations for free...now that I think about it I dunno if it was worth the $2000 haha Oh well. I'm happy with the car so far, but there is so much to learn on this thing!

So my payments are $422 a month for 72 months EEKS haha oh well at least my insurance is under $100 so it isnt THAT bad for a fully loaded car!

I've noticed a couple of cheap things so far (especially the carpeting in the trunk....WOW so cheap compared to my VW jetta that I just traded in haha)

They only gave me $1000 for my jetta so that hurt a little bit, but oh well!

So far I'm a happy camper. Next I need to get my windows tinted so that its harder to see my NAV system....i'm a little worried about that haha
    but, man, are these '08 Lancer GTS' awesome cars!

The maintenance package we went for only covers 1/2 the price of the tire rotations and no brake work, IIRC. I'll find that out later on. I've only used my maintenance package for L-O-F's and one tire rotation so far. The first real maintenance service package will be the 30,000 mile one and we're only at around 17,600 miles right now. I will do it religiously, though, like I kept my 2 Kia's up. It will pay off for you in less car trouble and better trade-in value.

Congrats, lovethelancer! You got yourself a great compact car there!

• Well geesh. My Lancer was manufactured in Oct 2007 so just before they started putting the modified relays in. So my buddy and I detailed the car washed and waxed it and all that....i go to start it and it wouldnt start first try....then on second try it struggled a bit but started....

Sephia....have you had that problem at all in the past year with your Lancer? I dont think mine pulls to the left or right though, which is good....seems to just go with the flow of the road!

went over the 100 mile mark today already haha
  • Also Sephia,

I was wondering if you could tell me how much your maintenance tuneups have cost?

I'm sure the one at 15k was the only one over $100 so far? My buddy just got the 30k done on his mazda 3 and it was $575 so I'm trying to find out what it might cost on the lancer!
  • bad bad... never buy gap at the dealership! I paid like a few bucks for it thru my insurance :P
  • ah dang! I guess I should have done more research...that sucks!!!
    I paid, get this, guys: $9.60 for Gap insurance through Safeco car insurance(my regular car insurance provider). I think that's per year but it might be per 6-month insurance period, though. Have to look that one up I guess. But still, it's cheap!

lovethelancer...nope, mine hasn't had any trouble starting up. Not even a flicker of hesitation. Starts right up every time.

And as far as the maintenance costs, go, man, I'm not the one to ask. Because my wife and I bought the pre-paid service plan at the time of purchasing the car. So it's plugged right in to our purchase contract. I just present coupons to the dealer when getting scheduled work done. Tire rotations are only covered 1/2 I know for sure. All L-O-F's are paid with coupons at no extra cost. So, my information is kind of sketchy for sure. I liked the idea of paying up front for maintenance.

I will tell you this much. When getting one of our L-O-F's with coupons I asked the service guy about the 15,000 mile service. He said that at that dealership they don't recommend the 15,000 mile service and promote the 30,000 mile service. The 30,000 mile service costs $199.95 IIRC. All important fluids are changed including the fuel filter. Here is where I am going to have to really communicate with the dealer's service center. If my pre-paid plan doesn't cover something I still want that thing done. I get pretty thorough with car maintenance because I firmly believe it pays off. So I'll fill you in as I get service done and how much it will run. I am at about 17,668 miles as of right now and mostly had oil changes. One tire rotation. I asked him if it voids the Warranty from Mitsubishi to skip the 15,000 mile service and he said "No." I will get the 30,000 mile service for sure. And the 60,000 and the 90,000. I think the 15,000 mile service is over-kill, really. I don't feel endangered of voiding my Warranty from Mitsubishi, either. Oh, our Lancer GTS' spark plugs are good until the 100,000 mile mark. Iradium-tipped plugs go a long time.

One thing I may ask for next L-O-F is to have them change my air filter. I live in dusty Arizona, no further explanation required.

Please continue to comment and ask questions about your new car, lovethelancer. Oh, I'm still reading my owners manual, too! I am almost done with it. Read it and learn, man. Lots of detailed info. on the 650-watt RF stereo in there and settings and things I don't use but y'all might want to.

One thing I learned that I do religiously is to run my air conditioner in the winter once a week. That is to keep it's compressor parts lubricated so they don't dry up and crack their seals and such. It's in your manual! Later. :)

• Awesome. Thanks Sephia....

Yeah I wasnt too happy about the starting hesitation (had to attempt a 2nd time after washing my car)

I'm thinking I will probably have them put the modified relays in at my first LOF

When did you have your first LOF done? I dont really want to wait until 5000 miles for the first one, but I'm guessing the maintenance coupons that I am gonna get are pretty specific about waiting for a particular mileage point.

Also Sephia, did you get your windows tinted at all?
  • lancerfanlancerfan Posts: 17
    I have also been trying to decide between the mazda3 and the lancer. In my opinion, the mazda probably is a better car and will keep its value better but i don't know if its quite worth the extra money compared to the lancer. Plus the lancer looks way cooler!! haha Im wondering if now you have any regrets on buying the lancer over the mazda?
  • After driving my buddys 2006 Mazda 3 I can tell its a better made car (material quality wise), He has the top of the line model with everything on it and got it for $26,000 after taxes and licensing...he didnt get gap or extended warranty or anything though. I paid about $26,000 for my lancer with the extended maintenance program and GAP insurance...it doesnt have leather or HID's but its pretty much fully loaded as far as the lancer goes. I'm hoping the CVT tranny breaks in a little and the engine noise goes down a bit.....the noise between 1st and 2nd "gear" sounds pretty horrid. The Mazda is also much quiter in the cabin while driving, but i dont mind it too much since i usually have the stereo up! The bluetooth phone is pretty cool too on the lancer. I'm just hoping the lancer holds up and doesnt require too many repairs or anything!

I love my touch screen nav, the fast key is cool, the stereo system is good for the price with the sunroof.

The Lancer is a bit bigger than the mazda 3, but doesnt seem to be too much bigger

The spoiler is huge...I drove my buddy's mazda today cuz my windows were getting tinted and its like nothing compared to the lancer's spoiler.

I dont regret buying the Lancer yet because I havent had any problems and its a car you dont see a lot of on the road, whereas you see a large number of mazda 3's on the road now. I like the uniqueness, but it also makes me think I passed up on the best car in the class for the price (could be the mazda 3)
  • dcp2798dcp2798 Posts: 1
    In regards to the messages about the 08 Lancer GTS and it's problem of pulling to the left I have the following story…

I bought a Lancer GTS two weeks ago, Feb 28 to be exact. I noticed the very next day that it pulls slightly to the left. I drive approx. 80 miles/day to and from work on the freeway. At highway speeds the car pulls to the left very badly. If you were to take your hands off the wheel you'd be in the next lane before you knew it.

I took the car back to my dealer where they gave it a wheel alignment. They had the mechanic go for a test drive with me. The car pulled to the left just as before.

Thanks to this thread I was knowledgeable enough to inform my dealer that I knew the 08 Lancers have a problem wheel alignment and pulling left. My dealer acknowledged this and is setting up an appointment for me with a Mitsubishi representative. I haven't met with the rep yet but I hope, armed with this information, they'll fix the car with new tires or whatever else will it takes to get the car to drive straight.
  • reigtsreigts Posts: 1
    I've had my Lancer GTS for 10 months now and after 17k miles, no problems so far. Has anyone done any modification on their GTS's?
  • My Lancer only has 230 miles on it, but I dont think it has the pulling to the left issue...if it does its ever so slightly.....but i also think the steering is just super touchy cuz ive felt it pull right a little too depending on the road and which direction i last put the steering wheel.

reigts......when was your lancer made? you havent even had to have the new relays or throttle sensors put in? Where do you live? Ever had super cold days?
  • New to the forum and gotta post.

I took delivery of an 08 ES 5 speed in Rally Red on 2/25. I needed a car when my 15 yr old Buick went boom. This car met the needs. Love the car. Love the FAST key.

I also want to share some of the $$ info for other shoppers. My car is an 08 ES with the Tech and Appearance package

List Price was $17,705. My Purchase price was $16,150. Yes $700 back of invoice, and it was on a dealer trade - not an in stock unit. And I still got the $500 auto show rebate.

Here is why I got the Lancer over the competition... Mitsubishi had a great lease program.

24 Months 30,000 miles $125 total out of pocket due at delivery for $249.98 a month including Wisconsin's 5.6% sales tax. Rolled into the lease was my first payment, refundable security deposit and acquisition fee. (all except the $125 that I put down). If after two years, I don't like the car, it goes away with no skin off my back. If I love the car still, I can buy it for $10,800.

With those lease terms I had to get the Lancer. I am a former car salesman and have told myself that I would never lease a car, but I just couldn't pass this deal up.

My only real complaint about the car is that it desperately needs a 6th gear or a lower 5th gear. Cruising @ 70 mph the engine is doing about 3200 RPM. I have lots and lots of torque to pass and go faster, but I could really use the better fuel mileage more than the convenience of not having to down shift.

Through my first two tanks of fuel I am averaging 27.5 mpg in a city/hwy mix.

Love the car and would recommend to others.
  • lancerfanlancerfan Posts: 17
    thanks lovethelancer.

Anyone own this car where its really cold? because the car salesman i talked to said the lancer actually doesnt need a block heater and the radiator is actually split into two smaller ones. So it only has a little bit of water flowing through until the engine warms up, meaning, that it warms much much quicker. Is this really true because i never heard of this before?
    yeah, I had my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' first L-O-F done at about 3,200 miles. My pre-printed coupons from the program I bought with the car say 5,000 miles on them for the first L-O-F. I showed that to the service writer and he said that would be fine, to get it early at only 3,200 miles. And I've just been tearing coupons out every 3,000-4,000 miles to get L-O-F's done and my dealer has been fine with it. I really appreciate their serive work and, even though we bought from Avondale Mitsubishi just west of Phoenix, this dealer(Ideal Mitsubishi) is only about 80 miles from our home. Avondale Mitsubishi is about 209 miles NW of our home! I got a really wild hair and went a long ways from our house to buy my car, knowing that, like my previous two new cars, Kia's, I could go to any of their dealer's for service or repair. So I did. I am really happy with the deal we got and the '08 Lancer GTS has been a joy.

I hope you get those relays put in. Where did you hear about that idea? Hope they solve your starting problem. Oh, window tinting. Ours came with winting tinting already done. And they are pretty dark, although I don't think they're lawbreakingly dark, living in Arizona our tinting laws are probably pretty liberal, also. But they help me to the point that I don't have to wear sunglasses to shield my eyes from the bright Arizona sun. And the side windows are also tinted very well. Love it! lovethelancer, just a heads up on the window tinting. By rollign them up and down we developed some light scratching of the window tinting. They appear as light, vertical scratches on the four windows that roll down with the power window buttons. I am not upset by this (they don't appear that solid on the window, just merely very light lines) but some '08 Lancer owners who have observed this have had conniption fits over it and demanded a fix, etc. I just blow the problem off, doesn't hamper any sight operation out the windw at all. You don't appear to have gotten any window tinting yet so if you want tinting you may mention this to the professional who is going to do the tinting, or to your dealer if they're gonna do it, etc., OK?

Man, tomorrow my wife and I cruise the 209 miles NW to Avondale Mitsubishi by Phoenix to get our 'Auto Butler' two-coat protectant put on. BTW-looking on th bright lime green colored card that 'Auto Butler' sends us in the mail, it says on it "This card must be presented to dealer to maintain Warranty coverage". So, I don't know if Mitsu is demanding this two-coat protectant service be done every 6 months(it doesn't cost anything to have it done and we're reminded by this card coming in the mail to our home)to maintain the paint Warranty, or, this is our dealer's deal to buyers of their rigs to help them maintain their car's paint beauty and help it to resist paint chipping.

As far as paint chipping goes, I have one paint on my left rear door, right by the edge where it comes to a close next to the car's body. I have already purchased a paitn stick from Ideal Mitsubishi that is a two-step paint touch-up process. It cost $9.95 plus tax. On one end of the stick you have your Rally Red paint applicator and on the other end is your clearcoat applicator that you apply after applying your paint. I have one other tiny spot to cover with this paint stick also on the left hand side of the car. So far no chips up front that I can see, so that's good news. So I don't consider myself part of the infamous Mitsubishi paint chipping problem that you can read about here when you search for '2008 Mitsubishi Lancer'.

And before they can apply the two-coat protectant service tomorrow at noon they will wash my windows inside and out, vacuum my interior and thoroughly wash my Lancer's exterior, being careful to get all of the bugs off, for only $9.95. Seems a good deal to me. We'll get that done tomorrow and I'll let y'all know how it looks afterwards. Last time we had it done(September of 2007) it looked clean as a thistle afterwards and very shiny.

Good fortune all of y'all with your '08 Lancer's! I love 'em!

• Wow. Very nice....I actually just got my windows tinted last Wednesday....20% very dark and actually illegal in this state, but my jetta had 20% on it too for 8 years and i never got in trouble.....35% is the legal limit, but hopefully i dont get in any trouble hahah

I havent rolled my windows down yet because its been raining forever haha...but i did know about the scratching and let my guy know..he said the people probably used cheap tint, but he guaranteed his so if i had any problems just bring it in and he would fix it

The relays thing is something that supposedly affects a large number of lancers made before november 13 2007 in cold or wet areas....supposedly the original relays get condensation in them and cause an intermittent no start problem.....which I experienced for the 2nd time in a week last night. ...i just have to try a second time and it starts up...hopefully it never strands me.

I plan on callin the dealership and having them order the modified relays so i can get them put in when i go get my plates!...supposedly it fixes the problem on MOST of the lancers
  • mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    It's not scratching due to 'cheap tint'. It will scratch eventually if you ever roll down your windows. You have to have the tint installer (or yourself) install moleskin or felt to the inside of your doors, see here to order a kit: http://www.tintprotector.com/mitsubishi/index.htm

My windows are getting pretty bad, especially the drivers side because it goes up and down at least a couple times a day.

My major issue of pulling to the left has actually been (somehow) remedied by the Mitsu dealer. It just took about 4 trips and several alignments and tire rotations to get it to where it is acceptable for me. I'm still not convinced that is completely gone or that it won't come back again, but we'll see.
  • Sephia...was the auto butler program something they offered to you when you bought the car or did those little cards just start showing up in the mail? I would love to have something like that done to my car...as long as they washed it by hand ...rather than with a crappy machine that will put swirls in my paint haha
    the Auto Butler program was bought at purchase time. It was $297.60 and I recall asking them before about how long it lasts. It continues throughout the Warranty period and is a two-coat application given every 6 months.

I think it has saved my paint job because I do cruise on gravel roads fairly often in this rural SE Arizona town and county I live in. I'd say it was well worth the 300 clams in our case. I have two little specks that have flecked off and I have a Mitsu paint stick in Rally Red to use on them. Probably paint over them this spring sometime.

• nice...i'm sure it would have been beneficial for me too, but they didnt offer it to me.....my car care plan was $2000 and covers all my oil changes and tire rotations for 5 years and the guy said it extends my bumper to bumper warranty to 10 years but i dont think that is right haha...it was $2000 though so who knows haha