Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

Comments

• yeah..when they call me for my plates i will probably ask them to order me some modified relays and put them in when i go get my plates!
  • fagowifagowi Posts: 1
    When changing from snow tires (steel rims with Mitsibushi sensors) back to the factory mags; the sensors have to be re-calibrated at a cost at the dealer for $110.00. This has be done twice a year here in the snow belt. What kind of engineering is this? Seems like a expense that even the sales manager was ignorant of!! Anyone experience this? Otherwise, we've had the car for almost a year an are very satisfied other than the above. Manual GTS with sun & sand.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    about re-calibrating the tire sensors at all. Anyone else know about the above post and snow tire switch out tire sensor re-calibrations?

I am now about 19,075 miles on my '08 Lancer GTS now, milwcheapguy, and on that road trip to Phoenix to get my Lancer GTS's 'Auto Butler' two-coat paint protectant treatment I tried to keep the car going around 75 mph most of the trip. Going through Tucson ADOT is working seriously on the freeway through downtown.
    Passage through there requires slowdown to 55-60 mph for many miles. I tried to keep the engine in the "sweet spot" accelerator-wise and modulate the pedal for maximum mileage. My in-dash automatic mpg-ahh-meter said 35.1 or something thereabouts when we pulled in to Avondale Mitsubishi. Not bad mileage really, I was pretty happy with it.

I may do some detailing and rub out some paint scratches in the next couple of days...the ones caused long ago by the out-of-control dogs from the vet. And paint over some paint chip outs, too. We'll see which home project takes precedence as the week rolls along and I'll do what I can. It has been getting up to 79 degrees here in SE Arizona by mid-day, lately, good for paint touch-up buffing and painting.

I'm still happy as a Seattle clam with my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. I love it's bodystyle and this love is not fading away with time. Mitsubishi has designed a great little compact with a strong set of mechanicals...and a great Warranty as well. In the UK this new '08 Lancer from Mitsubishi has been decreed as worthy of a large resale value spike. I posted a link over on the 'Mitsubishi News' thread about a week or so ago. Seems the motoring community over across the pond is recognizing this new Lancer as being a great value, low cost to maintain, great looks with some serious praising of the car's powertrain and handling capabilites. Apparently the '08 Lancer's in the UK are trailing the new Honda Civic's by just a tad in updated new world order resale value calculations.

Cool. I wonder if the know-it-alls in America are smart enough to notice this, too, or will magazines like Clodsumer Retorts keep printing negatives that are out-dated and unwarranted and see the new '08 Lancer off to a same old same old resale value that cars like the Lancer "should just get stuck with because they're ummm...Lancer's." What a slow, dorky, biased press in America. It's so obvious they're being paid-off or they're just slow and kind of...ummm...stupid to praise the new '08 Lancer from Mitsubishi like the smart, alive automotive experts in Great Britain have aptly picked up on. The '08 Lancer should be praised...and the resale value of this car should be really, really, good. Really, really, really good. Top-drawer. :)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• I am still less than 2k miles on my Lancer and we are barely hitting 35 degrees on a regular basis still. Hopefully once summer comes around and I have further broken in the motor, I will get the extra 10% mileage, that I am hoping for. 35 mpg would be the sweet spot for me.

Of course, when summer gets here I won't be in the Lancer much, as I will be on the cycle. But on rainy days I will still be in the Lancer.
    take note that we don't always get 35 mpg on the freeway in the '08 Lancer GTS. I usually get an average of 31 mpg on the freeway. On that particular journey there is a huge, long straightaway from Tucson to Phoenix. Those long, flat stretches really help me in my good mpg quests with this car.

The best trip for mpg was about 8 or nine months ago. We were taking a drive to Safford, AZ, on I-10, then State Hiway 181 northbound. Once again, the stretch was straight. But it is also slightly downhill for miles and miles. When we pulled in to the Safford Wal*Mart the mpg meter on the dash said 37.2mpg. No kidding, I was pleasantly pleased!

• ghost329ghost329 Posts: 9
    Hi I'm not ver automotive inclined so most will think this a dumb question but oh well.

I need to know what size air filter to put in my 2008 lancer. It is a 4 cylinder, 2.0 liter
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• So....

I had a scary experience with Lancer today, but it ended up I was just a complete idiot.

I was at the ferry dock and had to park to wait for the ferry this afternoon. I turned my car off, but the ignition would not turn all the way back so the NAV/Radio and stuff would not turn off...i was like WHAT THE HECK!.....so I tried to start my car and turn it off again..but IT WOULDNT START....so I though shoot!!! Maybe my relays freaked out...so i open my hood and start unplugging the relays and plugging them back in....tried it again...nothing.....ignition still wont turn completely off and I was really reefing on it.......I had a worker try to jump my battery cuz she thought maybe that was it, but no luck...no start or no ignition off....

I look down and my car is still in DRIVE....I felt soooooo stupid!

Everything is fine now.....I just hope I didnt damage the ignition at all reefing on it a bit!!!

I also got 30mpg on my trip today, which was about 70 miles...average speed was 38mph.....

I also hope I put all the relays back in their right spots haha
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    I look down and my car is still in DRIVE....I felt soooooo stupid!

Yet another good reason to buy a manual tranny. ;)
  • haha naw....I cant drive them and I wouldnt want to living in the city and with our hills around here.
    don't feel bad, that's actually easy to do! Good thing nothing was really wrong.

What Washington State Ferry were you taking, BTW? The one I'm the most familiar with is the Edmonds-Kingston run. Great little ferry ride and sometimes quite windy out there as well.

Hope everyone's enjoying their '08 Lancer's to the hilt like I am. I'm about to head to Safford, AZ, again, to head to Wal*Mart. My computer's printer crapped out. Oh well, I guess 8 years of usage is actually getting pretty good value out of a printer, huh? :D

• haha it was that exact ferry route.....edmonds-kingston

ride was very smooth yesterday though...we havent had any horrible winds lately which is good!
    the Edmonds-Kingston run! Yeah, I grew up in north Edmonds, Olympic View Drive and Talbot Rd. area. Pretty nice area for a kid to grow up in. With a view of Puget Sound out our living room window. It's a beautiful area, the Pacific Northwest. I do miss it sometimes. Hopefully Seattle won't lose the Sonics to Oklahoma City but it doesn't look very promising right now. Oh well, Seattle and Steve Ballmer(Microsoft CEO ponying up about $150 million of his own money to build a new stadium to try and save the Sonics)can get another team, like the N.O.Hornets or the Memphis Grizzlies. There are gonna be a lot of Seattleites that are going to really miss the Supersonics, man. It's a shame...I'm going to miss them from the SE Arizona desert!

Today on the way to Safford, AZ, we got 36.2 mpg in the Lancer on that long, ever-slightly sloping Hiway 191 going north. Awesome gas mileage. Unfortunately picked up a lot of bugs enroute to Safford and Wal*Mart! Cleaning the car looms ahead, then, again.

Yeah, I like to look for jellyfish in the Sound on those ferry rides, they are awesome those ferry rides. I miss them very much!

haha naw....I cant drive them and I wouldn't want to living in the city and with our hills around here.

I drive in the city and we have hills here as well. It's so great to drive a manual shift. I have a bad back but won't give up my manual until I have no choice. I might consider a manumatic EVO at some point but for now they have a lot of bugs to work out with that transmission.
    I got stuck in Boston in a traffic jam, due to an accident and no drama with a manual for me.
    Manual transmissions are dying out. :sick:
    No one wants to shift any more.
    that's true. When I started looking at the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer I was gonna buy a stick. I phoned ahead and found a dealer west of Phoenix that had the exact Lancer GTS in the exact color and they would give me the 4.9% financing that two other Phoenix dealerships already agreed to offer. Good-great, just needed to drive the 209 miles NW to Avondale, a western Phoenix suburb, and test drive this beautiful new Mitsubishi.

When we got there they showed me the Rally Red Lancer, but, to my surprise, it was an automatic CVT Lancer GTS! I got all upset and told them that they should be more careful when talking to people over the phone about what their own cars had as features, blah-blah-blah.

At the same time I was so stoked to test drive this gorgeous car that I just decided that it would work for us as an automatic, my wife and son don't drive stick, etc. I was gonna be the primary driver of the car, anyway, but we decided to get it, even though I drove up there thinking 5-speed tranny all the way! It has worked out very well for us so far. I would not rule out going back to a stick in the future, but, this CVT has some advantages to it and has worked out very well for us.

At the same time I was so stoked to test drive this gorgeous car that I just decided that it would work for us as an automatic, my wife and son don't drive stick, etc. I was gonna be the primary driver of the car, anyway, but we decided to get it, even though I drove up there thinking 5-speed tranny all the way! It has worked out very well for us so far. I would not rule out going back to a stick in the future, but, this CVT has some advantages to it and has worked out very well for us.

Yeah it's tough if your wife doesn't drive a stick. My wife does but prefers an automatic. :sick:
    Someday I'll have to drive an automatic or a manumatic but hopefully not for a really long time. ;)
    All the electric and hybrid cars seem to me some form of CVT. I wonder if the Mitsu has a true CVT or is really an auto internally with paddle shifters?
    yeah, that brings to mind the new Mitsubishi i-MIEV citycar. It is an all-electric and IIRC it also has an automatic tranny. I think the article described just 'D' and reverse(not sure if it has the automatic CVT tranny), but I'll have to check on that. Mitsubishi really has me latched on to them now, their engineering is top-rung IMO. I love my Lancer GTS so much and I love it just as much today as I did when I bought it 13 months ago. Just passed 20,000 miles the other day. I'll need to go get it another L-O-F next week, but, maintenance to me is like a little further investment in my car. It's annoying to give up the greenbacks for it, but, there's really no other option. Cars are built so well nowadays that if you just give your car some serious TLC it'll love you back by keeping you on the road. With these new-world-order Mitsubishi Lancer's, that TLC includes liberal washes to keep it looking shiny and new.

I forget tiff c, were you gonna buy a Mitsu a while back? What did ya end up getting, if anything? Are you waiting for a particular rig to come out to buy?

• lancerfanlancerfan Posts: 17
    This car is so sick! easily nicest looking car under $30,000 in my opinion. I know it has an excellent warranty but that doesnt mean its reliable, what is the reliability like so far for all you lancer owners? Please tell about any major and minor problems.
    Thanks in advance
  • I am now pushing 3,000 miles. I bought mine Feb. 25th. I have had no issues.

Now that Wisconsin is starting to get out of it's winter freeze, my mileage has incresed to 29.5 city/hwy mix.

'08 Lancer ES 5 Speed
    I forget tiff c, were you gonna buy a Mitsu a while back? What did ya end up getting, if anything? Are you waiting for a particular rig to come out to buy?

I was going for the Lancer GTS opted for a Civic Si instead. Thought about a Evo but was seriously unimpressed with the one they had in the showroom. It had parts falling off it! They also had added cheap plastic body kits to ALL the cars on the lot and they sure looked flimsy! Stickers saying do not stand on, etc...
    My wife doesn't fit in the car as she is short and the car can't be adjusted to fit her, same for the Subaru STi only it's not as bad. maybe the manumatic would be a possibility but gas here is really starting to climb and we have it cheap compared to other states! We have to use Premium in the Si so that has gone up over 20 cents a gallon in less than a week! Today Premium was $3.61 a gallon. It will probably be $3.70 a gallon by the end of the week!
    Cars that drink too much gas are off our shopping list for now. I still like the Venture One but chances are when the new diesels come out and the new Prius if it really does get 100mpg will be our next car. Electric cars don't work very well with our hills, snow and unplowed roads.
    I won't sell the Si now but if gas hits over $5 a gallon I'll probably consider bailing on it.
    We currently are getting about 30mpg on the highway and it's not broken in yet, under 5k miles!
    I've scaled back all non essential driving. I buy gas at Hess which doesn't come from the Middle East. But even still I'm pushing a hefty bill every month compared to before.
    Electric cars will be good IF they don't raise the electric rates to compensate.
  • Why do we get SCREWED out here in the west?

Gas is $3.67 for REGULAR here as of today 4/23/08

I have heard San Francisco is at $4.09 and parts of Hawaii at $4.15 or something like that...this is insane. We already pay effing 9% sales tax here why do we have to have the most expensive gas prices too:(
  • Last night (4/23) in Milwaukee some gas stations had regular 87 octane at $3.79 with premium @ $3.99 So it is not just you out west.

That is one of the reasons that I only did a two year lease on my Lancer. By the end of 2009 Honda, VW, and maybe Ford & Chyrsler will have their diesels in the US. And if VW can bring the Golf TDI Hybrid to the US (70 MPG US) as much as I like my Lancer, I won't be its owner.
    I know it seems like we are getting great deals on gas out here but employment is way down. Our property taxes are incredibly high and blue collar jobs here pay the same as they did 10 years ago! Some pay even less than 10 years ago! :sick:
    Our gas is going up 4-5 cents a gallon every day it seems. I love the seats in my Civic Si and the car is great. The Mitsu probably would get the same economy but up here you see the Prius everywhere. I figure my Civic is good for 2 years and I'll bail on it when gas gets too extreme. Right now I'm not driving crazy miles like before. I feel bad for the guys that are driving their huge SUV's. Here you often need AWD or 4WD because of the hills and unplowed roads.
    I'd love to get an EVO but gas will be to high to justify a performance car if gas prices down come down to $3 or less a gallon.
  • I don't know where you live Tiff, but I bet that my property taxes are higher than your taxes - last year I paid $28 per $1000 of assessed value - and Milwaukee is the lowest in the metro area - some locallities are up to almost $40 per thousand.

Gotta love Wisconsin - corrupt governor and the 7th highest taxes in the land.

And I feel no love for the SUV owners - 8 years ago when gas hit $2/gal here, I only bought higher mpg cars. They have had plenty of time to trade in their SUVs. Even here in the Wisconsin winter you can get by with quality driving and front wheel drive.
  • lancerfanlancerfan Posts: 17
    Hey if the 09 lancers are already out does anyone know how much longer the 08 lancers will be for sale brand new?
    I don't know where you live Tiff, but I bet that my property taxes are higher than your taxes - last year I paid $28 per $1000 of assessed value - and Milwaukee is the lowest in the metro area - some localities are up to almost $40 per thousand.

I'm up in New Hampshire and we get NOTHING for our property taxes! :mad: :sick:
    I mean it's pathetic We pay around $30 per $1000 and we get zip. Sure no sales or income tax but they make up for it in other ways.

And I feel no love for the SUV owners - 8 years ago when gas hit $2/gal here, I only bought higher mpg cars. They have had plenty of time to trade in their SUVs. Even here in the Wisconsin winter you can get by with quality driving and front wheel drive.

I got by this winter barely with FWD and snow tires but if the roads were any worse I would have had to take too many days out of work. I can't use a snow blower in our driveway it's just too long at about 140 feet.
    SUV's aren't really the answer, neither are trucks but lots of people have them and use them up here. More North of here and you are fully in the mountains and you have to have 4wd. I used to live that far up north and you stay home until they plow if you have FWD.
    Subarus sell very well up here as does anything with FWD.
    You need AWD or 4WD to get started when you stop on a hill. Bad weather and ice and only FWD you have days you won't be at work on time. My boss is not an understanding guy.
    But no way am I spending over $4 a gallon and filling up every 2 days it's not worth it.
    They don't even blink at $100 bills at the gas station any more. :sick:
    If it wasn't for the snow FWD would be fine.
    Wisconsin is no fun in the winter either unless you like to snowmobile. Can't do that around her any more it's all private land. Posted no trespassing and no snowmobiles, no hunting etc... all over the place.
    Anyway Mitsu hopefully will come up with a better fuel efficient car by 2010. :)
  • psychogunpsychogun Posts: 121
    If all goes well, then by 2010 (2011 model year) both the Lancer and Outlander should be available with a diesel option.
    as it goes up more and more. We are paying $3.34 a gallon for 87 no-lead here in the boonies of SE Arizona. I know a lot of people are paying much more so I can't complain too much. Monday morning we take our '08 Lancer GTS in for a L-O-F and tire rotation/wheel balance. Our Lancer GTS is running great and I can't wait for the service appointment as they always wash the car afterwards. It's kind of dusty-dirty right now(we get big dusty winds over here)and there's unfortunately a lot of bug guts on the front.

I don't think that gas prices will drop too much. I read on the internet news that there are people thinking that it will level off soon. But I don't believe the price will go down to below $3.00/gal again. Mitsu is developing their all-EV vehicle the i-MIEV. Its range is only 100 miles, though. I could use a longer range. But I will follow that car's development closely, even so. All-EV rigs are my top choice for the Lancer GTS replacement vehicle. Hybrids are fine but I'm looking to jump right to all-EV's next. There is a group somewhere in the U.S.(more than one I have heard) that will retrofit your car to all-electric drive. That is an interesting option to look in to as well. I am thinking that I need to wean off of ICE technology for my automobile. This gas thing is getting disgusting to participate in any longer. :sick:

and wheel balance done. I called up while the work was being done and the service advisor advised we replace the air filter($18.95), which I was more than happy to agree to. He also mentioned that I should consider a 4-wheel alignment as our tires were "getting beat up on the inside." Well, I didn't realize they were getting beat up on the inside but I have noticed some of the "pulling to the left" thing going on, and this might explain the uneven tire wear.

So I agreed to a 4-wheel alignment. He noticed a bit of hesitation in my voice so he knocked $10.00 off the price, it came to $69.95. The car was there about 9 hours, we went to a restaurant and had a good meal and to the bookstore/CD/DVD store nearby to kill time.

The final bill was $115 and change. The '08 Lancer seemed to hold to the lane better without pulling to the left...I'll be reporting on how this goes, but it seems to be improved. It didn't seem all that bad to me...but it shouldn't pull at all so I agreed to do all of these measures. I'll let y'all know how it goes as more miles go by, to see if the fixes hold and keep working. Our '08 Lancer GTS is up to snuff with all maintenance and looking great all washed up. Still need to bring my paint stick out and touch-up a few areas on the driver's side of the car.

They are very minor touch-ups but since I baby the car so much I know where any and all nicks or scratches or paint flecks are located. :D

• I now have about 3100 miles on my Lancer. The one issue that I am noticing is that the mileage computer in the dash is rather inaccurate. It seems to be off by as much as 15%.

95% of my driving is to/from work - 25 miles each way in stop & go rush hour traffic. According to the mileage computer - I never get less than 30 mpg. Often it will push 33 mpg depending my on right foot.

However, when I do the math at the pump I seem to be getting significantly less then the computer tells me. This last time, I got 27.2 mpg. I fill up at the same station and usually the same pump everytime. So the variable of where the pump shuts off in relation to how much fuel is in the tank is moot. And even then, 2/10ths of 13 gallons isn't going to effect mileage by 10%.

Is anyone else noticing this in their Lancers?

p.s. I have noticed the inaccuracy in the wife's Caravan, but since it is a Dodge, I am just happy that it still shifts into all four gears and the A/C works.