Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

Comments

• I think my Lancer might be a little more accurate on the mileage computer than yours. I usually drive 13 highway miles to work and my computer says 28 mpg for that trip. On the way home I usually get about 23-24 and I filled up today with an average of 24.9 for the tank. it is just a bit better than the Jetta I had, but I wish it was just a BIT better. $51 to fill up my 13.7 gallons this morning
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,699
    I have a rule of my own that I won't pay more than $20 at one time at the gas station. Even if we're driving 1000 miles some place on vacation I will not put more than $20 in the tank at once. Just my way of protesting high prices for gas, I spose. :blush: I don't really know what it accomplishes for me, though!

I have not noticed a variance in my Lancer's fuel mpg-ahh-meter. It will drop down to 19mpg or 20 mpg if I am staying driving in our little town more than on the freeway. On the freeway it regularly moves between 30mpg to 37mpg, depending on the terrain travelled. So I tend to think it's pretty accurate. Nice to get the wheels balanced and tires rotated and the 4-wheel alignment done. As well as getting my Lancer's air filter replaced. I am happy to get that done because we live in a dusty part of the country and I just know it wouldn't hurt to freshen to a new air filter. Loving my Lancer GTS as always!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• I havent dealt with my service department yet, but it sounds like you have a really great one that you go to sephia......i had a VW and they would never inspect other parts and tell me they need replacing haha...sounds like your service dept is really fair too.....hopefully i will have a similar experience, but i dunno..my dealership didnt even wash/detail my car when they sold it to me because it was a saturday and detail was closed haha
    they wouldn't wash your car because detail was closed? Eeek!

Yeah, Ideal Mitsubishi is really pretty good. We had to wait a long time last time in but I mentioned all the things that were done. We were enjoying shopping and browsing so it was cool. I didn't even buy my Lancer GTS from them! I went to west Phoenix(Avondale, AZ)to buy mine! They still treat us right!

I know where I'll buy our next Mitsubishi from! :D

I am watching the development of Mitsubishi's electric car the i-MIEV. Even though I won't be buying anything new for years and years, I think electric might be a sound way to go for propulsion after all the dino gas and oil is used up, or gets too costly to keep spending money on.

• broonsbybroonsby Posts: 13
    Hi folks. Just recently got a 2008 Lancer ES (2.0 auto) and am averaging 32 mpg mixed driving. I should note that it is highway biased. The computer seems pretty accurate in mine so far. The deal is that the longer you drive the more accurate it will be since it starts from scratch after more than 4 hrs idle time. It's simple statistics really. The more data, the more accurate the results will be. But honestly, never take too much stock in the computer display in any vehicle. It's only a guide at best.
    As far as the whole issue of taxes, Maine has all the rest of you beat. We are #1. It sucks.
    Yes, I would love these lovely new diesels and hybrids now, just bring the prices in line 1st! Even with the high price of gas, it will take several years to pay back the difference in price.
    Lastly, the real reason we don't drive electric vehicles is the battery. The technology is still in its infancy and doesn't deal well with the cold of the Northern states. Too bad really, since electric vehicles have a huge efficiency advantage. Let's put into perspective. A vehicle is roughly 13% efficient (Popular Mechanics) at turning energy released into power to the ground. By the time you include weight and other losses, only 0.5% of the energy burned goes into moving the passenger forward. You read that right. An electric vehicle is roughly 50% efficient at getting energy to the ground with a backyard conversion. If the math holds equivalent, that's at least 2% of the energy released moving the passenger forward. So roughly 4x as efficient. The real loss is still the batteries and the inability to deal with temperature swings.
  • lancerfanlancerfan Posts: 17
    Does the display in the dash say instantaneous m/pg or just average m/pg? Stupid question i know but it was just bugging me when my buddy said he wished his car did that and then i wondered if this car has it
    Does the display in the dash say instantaneous m/pg or just average m/pg?

It displays both. The instantaneous is a bar graph. The average is a digital number display. The only bad thing is that the average mpg display resets after 4 hours of the car being turned off. Also displayed on this information screen at the same time is the average speed driven.
  • lancerfanlancerfan Posts: 17
    Thanks. Had me wondering that all.
  • K&N just came out with an air filter for the '08 Lancers. I got mine last week and installed it before the UPS guy got out of the parking lot.

Gotta say that it improved my fuel mileage and pep.

I don't have exact figures yet on the fuel mileage since I still haven't used a tank of fuel - sorry, it is summer time, and I ride the motorcycle to work every chance I get. But if the on board computer is accurate, I would say that I am getting between 5-15% better fuel economy. (depends on whether I am testing the acceleration or economy)

The increased pep is also noticeable. The car seems to get to the redline quicker in 1st gear and the acceleration at highway speeds is improved too. The jump from 70-80 in fifth gear is even more effortless than before.

Is it worth $54 (including shipping and tax) - so far YES. especially if you live in the SW or dusty areas of the country (you know the whole lifetime filter thing). If it is just for a fuel mileage gain, at $4+/gallon it probably won't take long to save the $54 in gas either. :shades:
    no, my sub sounds good cranked up at the upper levels. It is pretty strong, causes some mild shaking of the interior fittings some times. Nothing big, in fact, I don't see how it couldn't shake things up, quite a bit really. You might ask your dealer about yours, dunno what might be wrong.

Actually I like how they have set the sub and various speakers up in our Lancer GTS. It's designed to send the sound right towards the center of the cab, whisking happily about to our ears.

No, check it out with your dealer, if you want. I actually have nothing new to report on my '08 Lancer GTS. I'm not getting paint chips, apparently that is an issue with some people. And mine is steering straight and true, the stereo sounds great. Love the looks of the car.

A side note-I found a 2008 Hot Wheel production of a Rally Red Lancer Evolution at Wal*Mart a couple weeks ago. Looks great-I asked a guy stocking about an actual Lancer GTS Hot Wheel model because I didn't see one of our cars in there. He said to check back soon as he expects more stock to come in soon. Anyway, I have my 2008 Lancer EVO Hot Wheel in Rally Red(looks almost exactly like our baby EVO Lancer's)right next to my baby blue 1965 Ford Mustang convertible model sitting on top of my computer monitor. Oh, what a lovely pair! :shades:

I agree. This is a problem for the dealer. Typically the pop would be from a bad speaker or amplifier. If you can feel resistance while pushing in on the cone (unpowered of course) of the speaker, then the coil is fried (melted and falling down on the magnet. It will make a slight scraping noise as well. If the cone checks out, it's probably an amplifier issue. Please note that all no speaker system is bullet proof. You should as a rule keep the sub volume down to 3 or less at higher volume levels. As an aside, if it's the Rockford Fosgate system, dang bro, that's loud!
  • haha i have the voume no higher than 30 on the nav system (i believe it goes up to 45).....i used to run it with the sub at level 6 of 7, but not ive got it down to like 4 because i'm worried about it.

I guess I will ask the dealer about it later...i had it there today but they only do oil changes on saturdays so i didnt even bother....they also got oil on my engine cover....i checked when i got home and i noticed it....so lame

whatever...they also wrote on my service reminder slip on my windshield to come back in 3000 miles...what the hell...im pretty sure our oil is supposed to be changed every 5k.....if they put crappy oil in my car im gonna be so pissed:(

My sub sounds fine in the cabin..it is just when i go check it in the trunk...it sounds pretty horrid. After seeing the oil on my engine cover i dont know if i want these guys tearing my stereo apart haha :( ugh bad day!
    wow, you're just talking about opening your trunk and listening to your stereo from back there in this, huh? Ya know, I always shut mine off when I'm back there. Now, there's times when a particular Foghat or Tragically Hip tune has my immediate fancy and I'll pop the trunk for my wife to put groceries in. I should turn the sound down, but, y'all know that that's not always easy to do when you're enjoying a tune, right?

But, that makes me curious. I should turn up the sub to 6 and bass at 4, 5, or 6 and pop the trunk and leave a song run for a bit and walk back there and listen. Then I'll be able to tell much better. In fact, I will try and remember to do it tonight when I get home from work. I'll see if it makes an annoying crackling, popping sound.

It's funny, because, you remember when we were watching that YouTube video with an '08 Mitsu Lancer GTS, starting up its motor. We'd hear that weird, fast-tick sound? Well, I hear it now every time I start up my Lancer GTS. I can pretty much tell you that I have blocked it out of my mind as even being there every time I start that pup up. But, if I listen for it, I can hear it. It's just normal factory install-parts in the electrical system, the starter probably, making the noise. Means our Lancer's are working fine, gentlemen! Seems to me my '65 Ford Mustang(my first rig all of my own!)would make that sound when I could not turn the engine over. I would have to get out and bop the starter solenoid with the head of a screwdriver(I still have that screwdriver, BTW!). I'd then close the hood, get back in the 'Stang and it would turn over like cherry pie and run just fine! It's not a defect, however, in our '08 Lancer GTS'. Don't worry 'bout it at-tall. It would only be a problem if you're all not able to start your Lancer's up after hearing that ticking sound, right? I mean, it's not a problem with the part wearing out prematurely, IMO. Just a feature of using those parts in unison, is what I'm trying to say.

Gentlemen, start your engines! :shades:

• chip21chip21 Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me how many RPMs a 2008 Lancer ES 4 cyl with CVT transmission is turning to run 75mph.
    This would be on level ground.
    Well, I don't exactly know, but I can make a best guess. I have the cvt and 2.0 liter engine. At 65 MPH, it runs about 2100 RPM. At 75, I believe it runs about 2300-2400 RPM. I can tell you from experience that it will make a difference in gas mileage. I average about 32 MPG at 65 MPH, windows up. 75 MPH will drop it to about 29 MPG. If you average a constant 45 average, you can see 40+ MPG. Yes, you read that correctly. Rolling resistance and wind resistance all add up above 60 MPH, just like the EPA has stated for years.
  • yeah if you are running 75 mph on cruise control it will be at about 2400 with the CVT
    You are pretty close on figures. The gauge on my Lancer reads 2500 rpm at 75mph. And I am getting 30mpg at that speed and not to happy about it. I recently got rid of a 92 Toyota Camry automatic that would do 75 at 2000rpm and get 33mpg.
    It had 280k on it and never any problems. And with the Lancer CVT having 6 gears, but not being able to see or feel any shift change's I was concerned that maybe it was not shifting into 6th. So it sounds like 2500 may be correct for the car, and if so it will never get much better mpg.
    Thanks for the info.
    I have a 2008 Lancer and I am very dissatified with the radio screen. I have talked to my dealer, and they say learn to live with it, and I have called Mitsubishi USA and talked to customer service rep, and he says that they are aware of the problem but no fix is in the works. He recommended that I fabricate some kind of hood to go over the screen. I told him that if that is what the answer is that Mitsubishi should design, fabricate and furnish the hoods to the owners. His reply was that it would be up to management. I do plan on pursuing the issue.
    Otherwise the car looks good, rides and drives good, but have not made up my mind about the CVT, the other down side is poor mpg for a vehicle this size and weight. I feel that it should be getting 33mpg or better at interstate speed (75) and it is getting 30mpg.
  • Chip, If you want better mileage, I would try the K&N air filter. I installed mine about 500 miles ago and am getting just short of 10% better mpg. I am up to 32 mpg in a city/hwy mix with a 5 speed and I cruise well above 3000 RPM at highway speeds.

Also how many miles do you have? I noticed that around 5k the motor started to finally break in get better mileage.
  • woods77woods77 Posts: 23
    Where did you get the air filter from and about how much does it cost? I just got my 09 Es-Sport over the weekend.
    Have just over 6000, changed oil at 3000 and replaced with 5-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic, which I have used in my cars for many years, will change on 5k frequency. I tried a K&N filter on my Ford truck and afer a while I kept getting a check engine light. It got bad enough that I bought my own OBDII scanner. I finally traced the problem to the mass air flow sensor, which is located immediately behind the air filter. I cleaned it several times with electronic cleaner and the code would clear, but after a couple thousand it would come back. I finally came to the conclusion that a minute amount of oil from the filter was getting onto the sensor. I replaced the K&N with stock paper and have not had a repeat of the problem for 25k.
    Never did replace the sensor, just cleaned.
    So this sort of soured me on an oil type filter, but good luck with your application.
    Thanks for the response
  • Got it online directly from K&N. It was $54 something with tax and S&H
    Yeah, this is a possibility with oiled air filters. A number of mods include a cold air intake that extends the filter away from the sensor. The intake increases the amount of oxygen that the engine gets and reduces the chance of oil on the mass airflow sensor (MAF sensor). The oil problem is one they generally try to avoid by suggesting a "very light" oil coating. They strongly suggest no heavy coatings for just this reason. By the way, DON'T use carburateur cleaner. This can ruin a sensor. They make special cleaner readily available at parts stores to clean air intakes and is sensor safe. I know that for trucks there exist 100k mile high flow air paper air filters. I hope these start making their way to the Lancer.
  • It is the highways and roads that makes the Lancer sway to the left. epsecially if the road was pave uneven.

I have no paint chippin g on my 2008 Lancer with 37,650 miles on it. No problems and paint chipping.

Steering wheel swaying to the left is caused by un even pavements on highways and roads.
    try cruise control and your car will ran straight if the pavement is even.

You really have to learn how to drive the new Lancer.
  • I have had my GTS for over 1.5 years now and I have a little over 23K on the tires and I have to tell you despite numerous trips to the dealer not once have they been able to correct the pulling or excessive wear issue on the Dunlop tires. When I expressed my frustration with the problem I was told by the dealer "well you will have to call Dunlop about it nothing I can do for you." I am at wits end I am calling Dunlop and Mitsu b/c this is crap and I live in Chicago and the weather is never perfect but little to no traction in snow is one thing but when it is cold or raining too....pffft! The last trip to the dealer for and oil change and rotation at 22.5K miles they told me the tires were past the wear indicators and needed replacing. WTH! I hate this car at this point.
  • Maybe it is the GTS tires. I have an ES 5 speed with 10k miles don't have any drifting issues or tire wear.

As far as poor weather traction - I live in Milwaukee and have nothing to complain about. The wet traction is fine. I barely even notice a loss of traction compared to normal driving conditions. The snow - well it is snow. Driving down slushy roads isn't difficult. About the worse thing with the snow is getting out of my un-plowed alley in the morning. I have certainly had worse handing cars in winter - my 1985 Celica GTS comes to mind immediately.

But - one of the main reasons that I didn't go for the GTS was the wider tire. Wide tires will get significantly worse snow traction compared to narrower tires.
  • sorry to hear of your '08 Lancer GTS tire troubles. I have had my tires rotated twice, and I have had two tires repaired, one of the tires has been fixed twice.

My Lancer GTS' tires and steering and handling are doing fine, I did have an all-wheel alignment done, too. All is well.

I will need to replace the tires within the next 3 or 4 months, though. I am currently at 29,865 miles on my Lancer GTS. I am not really happy with the Dunlop's, but they are driving straight-ahead and true.

I am looking at getting some Kumho Ecsta's at $149 a tire next, after I get the 30,000 service done. Coming right up, that it is. Then I'll get some new tires.

Maybe new tires would help you with your Lancer's pulling to the side problems.

• Bought Kumho Ecsta ASX today and had them "siped" at Discount Tire. I talked the sales guy down to 567$ for the set of 4 with the siping and rebuild kits on the TPMS. We shall see how these go....

***Note, so far the new tires corrected the pulling immediately and with the siping the grip on the ice is impressive.
  • fantastic news on your Ecsta's. And I now think it was Discount Tire and not Tire Rack I got that price for the Ecsta's from. Good to hear, let's hope for true road handling and traveling. :D

• Please help i was driving home today and hit a contruction baracde due to a jackass not using his mirrors. I broke my driverside mirror. It didn't come off the car but the plastic and glass is gone. The part that attaches to the car is also fine. I've already order a new one but don't know how to remove the old one? Please Help?