Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

Comments

• good deal. If you don't need to deal now it sounds like you could get more in your Lancer GTS by waiting for the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. I just know that I love my '08 Lancer GTS just as much now as I did in March of 2007 when I was itching so bad to trade my '01 Sportage 4X4 in. Once I saw this beautiful car's exterior in all of its glorious detail I just set my sights on getting one and I was going to get one, that was all there is to it!

I am glad you have been struck by Mitsu Lancer fever lovethelancer. Very cool. Did you know that I rented a plain old white 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer sedan in late 2004? It was an automatic transmission model and I needed it while my Sportage 4X4 got a new alternator. I was actually even impressed by the old-gen Lancer and I did not forget that. Manufacturer's need to keep in mind that when they sell to rental agencies its a great way to spread the word about their brand of cars. Someone like me rents their cars and then remembers that experience for later. I have been a Kia fan for the last 9 years and just got turned on to Mitsubishi about a year ago exactly. One year ago I was reading that autospies piece I linked to in here just recently and globbing on to anything and everything I could find about Mitsubishi. Everything I found was positive and these people and their pride for the Mitsubishi name and brand trademark is truly inspiring. I'll pop a link in here for you to read up on sometime. It is truly interesting. They take their carbuilding seriously, yes, but they take it many steps further. They enter their cars in the Dakar Rally races and they win them. Then they take this build information back to the engineering room and on to the manufacturing floor. That report by Bryan Arnett, Lancer Product Information Officer touches on this Dakar racing heritage and all the other racing history Mitsubishi builds in to their cars.

BTW-I took a turn from a frontage road on to a I-10 freeway onramp the other day and accelerated in to the turn in a large manner and freaked my wife out. I mean, we were stretching in to the turn and the Lancer GTS just ate it up and wanted more! You will love how your Lancer GTS handles!

One of the early reviews on the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS says that you will feel like you are driving an expensive European sports sedan costing twice what you'll pay for your Lancer GTS.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=35aeee2acc231baa29b74c6c3282df3f&t- =293784

Lots of stories/issues, dating back to September 2007...and still going strong.

My 08' Lancer GTS still has the issue. It's gotten so bad that I'm starting to not drive the vehicle at all. I just had a 4 wheel rotation and balance, along with a 4 wheel tire rotation done at my local Mitsu delaer on 1/12/08 (6300 miles).

I was going to drive it to Las Vegas on Friday (I live about 2.5 hrs away) but I only got about 1 mile from my house and darn thing was pulling so badly and even the front-end of the car was shaking rather badly...and I was pretty ticked off. I turned around and just parked it back in my driveway and then took off again in my 07' Nissan Xterra - with no pulling or shaking whatsoever :)

I have my 2nd appointment at my nearest Mitsu dealer scheduled for Tuesday morning. It now has 6500 miles on it - same issue. We'll see what they come up with on this trip...but I'm not holding my breath for sure. After this, I'm contacting Mitsu directly and starting the "Dispute Resolution Process" if they don't fix it.

I really want to love this car..it just won't let me. It's definitely the most unhappy I have ever been with a new vehicle purchase that I have been involved in, and I have purchased many; 01 Nissan Pathfinder, 03 Nissan Pathfinder, 07 Nissan Armada, 07 Honda Fit, 07 Nissan Xterra. Guess I should have stayed with Nissan or Honda, huh? This is actually my wife's primary vehicle, and it's her first new car. She can't stand the pull either. I keep telling her it will get fixed...but I don't think she believes me :)

Again, I really want to love the car...it looks just incredible when it's all cleaned up...it's just that darned "pull to the left" that I have to compensate for each time I drive the vehicle (and now the shakes). It really takes away from my driving experience. And I'm sick of it! Hopefully Mitsu will help me out at some point - if they don't...I'll just take the hit financially and trade it in ASAP. Wish me luck!
  • Something to know...

We had a guy in another Lancer forum I read have a similar problem, and after taking it to the dealership 3 times, doing rotations and the like, it still wasn't fixed. The forth time he took it in he also made a call to Mitsu North America the same day. He later got a call from the service manager stating that Mitsu North America had called him and told him to replace the tires on the vehicle and that they would allow it to be covered under warranty terms on the vehicle. He chose to switch from the Dunlops to some performance Goodyear ones (not sure which off hand). When he picked the car up that evening, the pull was, for the most part, gone. He thinks that he still feels/thinks it pulls when it really doesn't after replacing the tires. Sort of like muscle memory or something like that. But, that is beside the point, the fact is that replacing the tires with another brand seemed to fix the problem for him. Maybe you can give this idea a shot and see if it works for you.

Bill
  • please look back as post 434 in this thread and see what that '08 Lancer owner did. The dealer decided to replace his Dunlop's with Goodyear tires, too. That is starting to look like a fix for this "pulling to the left" problem.

If my '08 Lancer GTS starts pulling to the left I'm gonna insist that they put Goodyear tires on mine, too. At no cost to me, mind y'all.

I'd check that solution out immediately at your dealer.

• mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    Yes, I have read that post (434) and if you read the link I provided...many Lancer owners have done just that and still have the pull to the left problem. It's been hit or miss for fixing the issue by replacing the stock tires with new ones (Goodyears' or whatever). I will definitely be asking them about it it for sure.

Some folks (at least have claimed) that Mitsubishi took back their car (lemon Law/Dispute process) and gave them a brand new one. And even the brand new was said to pull to the left (although "not as bad" as the original one).

I'll be trying everything...stay tuned...
  • I wasn't aware that the tire swap wasn't fixing the problem in each and every '08 Lancer case. Yikes.

Glad I don't have the problem but I do really want you to get a good result with yours, mbunting. Mitsubishi Engineering and Corporate ought to be working OT on this problem because as we all know they can't really weather a negativity storm of any sorts right now.

Watch and your problem oughta be solved very soon, me thinks. Please keep us all posted in here and good luck to you!

• ON saturday, i had to take my Lancer to the dealership with defective Relay switches. They drove me to a rental place in a GTS. After being in that car, i loved the drive of my ES, the GTS tires are terrible in winter. They sure dont hold onto a snow covered street well.
    Now i know what issues i have when the car goes into creep mode and all you can get is 40k top speed.
  • ru06ru06 Posts: 23
    I love how this is turning into a complain forum! Gosh! I guess when people are happy with their car they keep their mouth shut, but when something goes wrong with it, the whole world must know. Of course the GTS won't be as good in the snow! It has 18'' low-profile SPORT tires!! lol
  • Glad I found this Forum about that Hot azz looking Lancer 08! I hear you SolerClipz with jumping in and getting it right now, but honestly, I think the wait is gonna be worth it! that's what i'm hoping for atleast. I mean as far as i know, the Lancer 09 Ralliart edition is gonna blow out the competion!!! supposely it's gonna have AWD which the 08' GTS does not.. and 235 HP!! and going for about $25K, that's not bad at all?? u got the Civic SI and Vw GTI all with only about 200HP...and no AWD... I cant wait!! I'm trying to save save save!!!
  • Urbanstreets...

Yes, the 09' Ralliart variant of the Lancer will have AWD (similar to the old Evo IX, but without the electronics for active adjustment if I read correctly) as well as the 4b11 I4 2.0L engine turboed to about 225 to 230 estimated HP for around $25K in price. The only thing I am not to thrilled about is, if only for the 09' model year, the Ralliart will only come with the SST dual clutch transmission found in the Evo X MR. I would have liked a 5 or 6 speed manual as I really want to get one to learn on before I get older and have a family where I need a more family friendly vehicle.

My thought though is about the new Hyundai Genisis Coupe coming fairly soon as well. It's suppose to be around that same price range as well, but with a newly designed V6 NA engine putting out closer to 300 estimated HP with 250 ft/lbs for torque. Granted, that will be RWD and not AWD, but I live in Houston, TX, so the worst I see is rain and flat pavement. Also, I am not to fond of the idea that if one tire has a puncture/blowout I may and probably will have to replace all four tires as most AWD vehicles have to. Add to that possibly a lighter weight overall and reg. octane gas for about the same or maybe better MPG instead of the premium the turbo will really need to run smoothly, and the Hyundai suddenly becomes a more attractive offer.

I am not buying a new vehicle until this time next year, so I got plently of time to watch some of these new models come out and be tested and compared against one another to see which will be worth the test drive and possible purchase for my next ride.

Bill
  • Phew... Read though all 12 pages of that EvoM thread... (I've actually been a member there since 2002).

Here's my take-away:

1) Get your tires changed
    and
    2) Have an alignment done

Both of these should be done under warranty and free of charge. Call Mitsu corporate and tell them what your problem is and which dealer you're going to. Let them know what you want done.

If the above two don't completely eradicate the problem:

1) Demand new wheels/rims

2) Ask for a new car (as some on EvoM net have)

For the above two, you'll have to fight Mitsu to get reimbursed (i.e. go through the Dispute Resolution Process).

*Rant*
    However, I have to say that I am disgusted by the litigiousness attitude of some of the members. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as this has been quite prevalent on EvoM net. I suppose this is a carry-over attitude that started with the DSM community 15 years ago...
    *End Rant*
  • no prob with your rant. I agree with you, man. I am just glad I don't have the problem with my '08 Lancer GTS, that of the car pulling to the left. Last night I drove to a neighboring SE Arizona town and while driving down a long stretch of highway that leads away from this town I decided to test my Lancer for this "pulling to the left" problem.

Well, mine doesn't have it. I mean, I let go completely of the wheel for a spell. I could've tuned in a different station on the Lancer 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo if I wanted, or took a big bite of a Krispy Kreme donut, too, the car tracked so true for so long. I really think that this issue is affected by the streets we're on. I checked it again last night for the problem and it rode straight.

What's weird is I have noticed it before but it doesn't last or keep up that way. And even if it does it isn't a big deal to correct it while steering. After checking it last night, though, I know my Lancer GTS doesn't have the problem.

Anyone that finds out what people are getting for a corporate or individual dealer response on this issue please post it in here. It will help us see how well Mitsubishi responds to a problem where they will have to part with cash to fix it.

The silver was my 3rd favorite color choice and looking at this picture I can see why that was. Looks mah-vel-ous.

Actually I had put the Electric Blue as my top color choice and Rally Red was 2nd, but I ended up buying a '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red. It was the way the entire package was laid out on that March 2007 day that helped me decide on the Rally Red. In retrospect I think that I would be happy with either the Rally Red, Electric Blue or Apex Silver, still. They remain my 3 new world order Lancer color favorites.

• I'm hoping to pick up an electric blue GTS in a few weeks!:)

Two things that I am gonna miss about my jetta though are the blue dash lights and the telescoping steering wheel...but hopefully the Lancer will be less of a hassle maintenance wise over the years than my jetta was!
  • so, you're gonna do it and buy a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and not wait for the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS? Or is that "few weeks" you're talkin' about really more like 5 months of weeks?

Great color choice, BTW! I love the new Lancer's color of Electric Blue. It shows the car's beautiful curves and angles very well.

Are you going with the automatic CVT with paddle shifters or the 5-speed manual, lovethelancer?

• I'm planning on going in on March 15th...so a few actual weeks haha

I am going to go with the CVT because I actually never learned to drive a manual (pathetic I know). Plus I live in the Seattle area and I know you know how the hills are around here...no thanks haha

I decided not to wait for the 2009 because they arent going to be coming out for another 4-6 months and I just dont want my jetta to keep costing me money by falling apart haha. I am going to lease the GTS for 36 months and if I still love it after that I will go ahead and buy it. I figure a lease will be good because it is a first year new model car so if it falls apart within 3 years I can get rid of it (really hoping it doesnt because it looks amazing).

I also have not test driven it yet so hopefully i wont be disappointed when I do.

I'm hoping to get the Sun&Sound Package as well as the Navigation and technology package with FAST Key. Hopefully I can get it for $299/mo or less on a lease.....

If you dont mind me asking...how much do you pay for insurance a month sephia?
  • insurance costs at all, lovethelancer. I am paying $96.53 a month for insurance for my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with automatic CVT tranny, Rally Red, 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo with 10-inch woofer and 9 speakers, foglights, leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift knob, headrests with built-in head restraint system, automatic climate control with a strong air conditioning system, power w's, d's and m's, micron air filtration in the cabin, rear heater vents on the floor, driver's knee airbag, driver and front passenger side and front airbags and side curtain airbags and rear side curtain airbags, paddle shifters for "shifting" the car through 6 forward "gears", Bluetooth technology, cruise control and steering-wheel mounted audio controls, window tinting, auto-off headlamps and power-glass sunroof.

That car insurance is through Safeco of Seattle, BTW. I am happy with how much I am paying.

• That's great news!

This will be my first time off of my dad's insurance policy so I am hoping that doesnt hurt me too much....even if I am paying $125 for insurance I dont think that is too high or anything!

I cant wait to get my lancer i'm so excited!:)
  • You should check with Amica, I pay 65/month with my lancer :) I picked a company thru that big review company, I forget the name, but they rated super high like the military only one did.
  • Thanks for the Rec. I will check them out!