Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara Audio Systems

Comments

• blozanoblozano Posts: 23
    Yes, easy fix. Do you know when you put down rag top. You hear hesitation in radio volume when top is almost in full down position. This rag top engages switch which provides more power to your radio amp to provide better sound to compensate for road noise. When switch is deffective, sound on radio will surge up and down.

Sit in back seat passenger side. Remove panel which is on top which is below rear window, same panel where seat belt goes into panel at top. You will need to remove #2 phillips screws which hold panel in place. Screws are hiding behind seat belt front cover where belt goes down in panel, under cup holder which allows arm rest cover to lift off and one more right on left side of head rest in corner. Remove panel. You will see switch which is in verticle position. Remove switch with torx screw driver. (2-screws) You will need to purchase switch qty-1 p/n: 84231-06010 switch 2008 price approx. $22.00 and go ahead and purchase some new panel clips, qty-4 p/n: 75868-06020 $2.00 each. Note: remove two washers which are under old switch and place under new switch. Reverse assembly with everything.

If for any reason you want to by-pass switch, just unplug switch. Radio will still work in standard mode. The amp sound will not increase in performance when top is down and sound will not be as sharp. This will allow you to save some money if budget for new switch is not available..

Good luck.
  • gus26gus26 Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Solara w/6 CD changer & the radio just cuts off while I'm driving. I can't seem to make any connection with these incidents. It comes right back on when I push the on knob & may go for days or just hours before the next time it cuts off. Sometimes a CD will just pop out when it cuts off. Has anyone else experienced this? What is it?
    Thanks
    Gus
  • Never had that issue. Try joining www.solaraguy.com and posting your question there. Tell 'em thestevo44 sent ya..
    When you say cut off. ? Is the power or display going away ? When you press power button or knob, radio comes back on ? What is part number on your radio ? Is your radio model # 86120-AA120 ?
    Not sure of radio model #. The radio just cuts off & display goes blank. Yes it comes right back on when I push the knob.
    Please provide all small numbers off from of radio or send me digital picture.
    Thanks everybody, but they just replaced the radio, so no more problem.
  • I'd like to add an iPod connection to my JBL stock system--but not the AUX type, but the one that will let me control the iPod from the steering wheel controls. I've found harnesses online that will let me just plug it in to the CD Changer connector (usually in the trunk, it says) or the XM connector. Is there such a connector in the trunk or other easily-reached location. I'd love to be able to hook this up myself quickly as I have a long drive coming up. :shades:
  • I have a 2005 Solara SLE with the same problem. I took the passenger side panel off as you described, but I do not see the switch. Is it in a different place in the 2005 model year? What does it look like? I see the seat belt tensioner, the back seat light (right above drink cup), and the mechanism for the roof (there is a black metal piece over this mechanism) inside the wall. Please help...

Thanks,
    Paula
  • bobbob Posts: 2
    New 08 Solara. MP3 player whines . Pitch changes with acceleration. Not too loud but annoying.

Any advice or experience?
  • I have a 2008 SLEv6 coupe without NAV.

My 2003 had the JBL "premium" sound system, which I don't believe this new model has.

I believe that this sound system is inferior to what I had in my '03, and I'd like to try to remedy that.

What have others done to improve their sound? I was thinking of first simply trying replacing the rear 6x9 coaxial spears. I'd like to take this one step at a time as this is a brand new vehicle and I'm a tad hesitant about making any major changes.

Any suggestions?
  • Hi, My 2006 Solara does the same thing. Do you happen to have the invoice with the part number on it. I feel I can replace it myself instead of going to dealer.
    Thanks
    Part number of switch. 84231-06010 description of switch courtesy lamp switch.

I left detailed procedure how to install and parts needed Switch was approx. $20.00
    Yes, easy fix. Do you know when you put down rag top. You hear hesitation in radio volume when top is almost in full down position. This rag top engages switch which provides more power to your radio amp to provide better sound to compensate for road noise. When switch is deffective, sound on radio will surge up and down.

Sit in back seat passenger side. Remove panel which is on top which is below rear window, same panel where seat belt goes into panel at top. You will need to remove #2 phillips screws which hold panel in place. Screws are hiding behind seat belt front cover where belt goes down in panel, under cup holder which allows arm rest cover to lift off and one more right on left side of head rest in corner. Remove panel. You will see switch which is in verticle position. Remove switch with torx screw driver. (2-screws) You will need to purchase switch qty-1 p/n: 84231-06010 switch 2008 price approx. $22.00 and go ahead and purchase some new panel clips, qty-4 p/n: 75868-06020 $2.00 each. Note: remove two washers which are under old switch and place under new switch. Reverse assembly with everything.

If for any reason you want to by-pass switch, just unplug switch. Radio will still work in standard mode. The amp sound will not increase in performance when top is down and sound will not be as sharp. This will allow you to save some money if budget for new switch is not available..

Good luck.
  • towneyktowneyk Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Solara SLE, and the radio has been fading in and out for almost two years. The dealership has replaced the radio 3 times, and the AMP twice, but each time, it starts again. We changed to a different dealership, and they are now going down the path of replacing this switch. They've had the car for 5 days. They have been nice enough to give us a loaner vehicle.
  • Before I replace my amp on a 2005 Solara SLE conv. Has anyone had the problem with fade out of stations, CD, cassette etc.? All stays lit up but the channel fades and volume increases. Never did it for the dealer. Any ideas?
    Read my article I wrote. Amp switch is bad. Rear seat, passenger side, behind panel by armrest.

Good luck.

Good luck.
  • Thank you I will try the fix.