Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara Audio Systems

Comments

• I have a 2008 SLEv6 coupe without NAV.

My 2003 had the JBL "premium" sound system, which I don't believe this new model has.

I believe that this sound system is inferior to what I had in my '03, and I'd like to try to remedy that.

What have others done to improve their sound? I was thinking of first simply trying replacing the rear 6x9 coaxial spears. I'd like to take this one step at a time as this is a brand new vehicle and I'm a tad hesitant about making any major changes.

Any suggestions?
  • Hi, My 2006 Solara does the same thing. Do you happen to have the invoice with the part number on it. I feel I can replace it myself instead of going to dealer.
    Thanks
  • blozanoblozano Posts: 23
    Part number of switch. 84231-06010 description of switch courtesy lamp switch.

I left detailed procedure how to install and parts needed Switch was approx. $20.00
    Yes, easy fix. Do you know when you put down rag top. You hear hesitation in radio volume when top is almost in full down position. This rag top engages switch which provides more power to your radio amp to provide better sound to compensate for road noise. When switch is deffective, sound on radio will surge up and down.

Sit in back seat passenger side. Remove panel which is on top which is below rear window, same panel where seat belt goes into panel at top. You will need to remove #2 phillips screws which hold panel in place. Screws are hiding behind seat belt front cover where belt goes down in panel, under cup holder which allows arm rest cover to lift off and one more right on left side of head rest in corner. Remove panel. You will see switch which is in verticle position. Remove switch with torx screw driver. (2-screws) You will need to purchase switch qty-1 p/n: 84231-06010 switch 2008 price approx. $22.00 and go ahead and purchase some new panel clips, qty-4 p/n: 75868-06020 $2.00 each. Note: remove two washers which are under old switch and place under new switch. Reverse assembly with everything.

If for any reason you want to by-pass switch, just unplug switch. Radio will still work in standard mode. The amp sound will not increase in performance when top is down and sound will not be as sharp. This will allow you to save some money if budget for new switch is not available..

Good luck.
  • towneyktowneyk Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Solara SLE, and the radio has been fading in and out for almost two years. The dealership has replaced the radio 3 times, and the AMP twice, but each time, it starts again. We changed to a different dealership, and they are now going down the path of replacing this switch. They've had the car for 5 days. They have been nice enough to give us a loaner vehicle.
  • Before I replace my amp on a 2005 Solara SLE conv. Has anyone had the problem with fade out of stations, CD, cassette etc.? All stays lit up but the channel fades and volume increases. Never did it for the dealer. Any ideas?
    Read my article I wrote. Amp switch is bad. Rear seat, passenger side, behind panel by armrest.
    Yes, easy fix. Do you know when you put down rag top. You hear hesitation in radio volume when top is almost in full down position. This rag top engages switch which provides more power to your radio amp to provide better sound to compensate for road noise. When switch is deffective, sound on radio will surge up and down.

Sit in back seat passenger side. Remove panel which is on top which is below rear window, same panel where seat belt goes into panel at top. You will need to remove #2 phillips screws which hold panel in place. Screws are hiding behind seat belt front cover where belt goes down in panel, under cup holder which allows arm rest cover to lift off and one more right on left side of head rest in corner. Remove panel. You will see switch which is in verticle position. Remove switch with torx screw driver. (2-screws) You will need to purchase switch qty-1 p/n: 84231-06010 switch 2008 price approx. $22.00 and go ahead and purchase some new panel clips, qty-4 p/n: 75868-06020 $2.00 each. Note: remove two washers which are under old switch and place under new switch. Reverse assembly with everything.

If for any reason you want to by-pass switch, just unplug switch. Radio will still work in standard mode. The amp sound will not increase in performance when top is down and sound will not be as sharp. This will allow you to save some money if budget for new switch is not available..

Good luck.

Good luck.
  • Thank you I will try the fix.
    You can also just unplug switch. Only thing here is amp will not boost when top is lowered.
  • Finally got a few minutes to replace the switch. Thanks for the great advice. This fixed the problem. Everything was just as you stated. THANKS
  • Same problem with my 2006 Solara. Thanks for the great advice. This fixed the problem. Everything was just as you stated.

The switch is on the passenger side. I took both sides thinking it might be on the drivers side. It's on the passenger side behind the roof motor - sort of hard to find. It is a switch which is black with a black rubber covering on the switch itself.
  • Can you please explain in more detail where to find this switch so I can disconnect it? I have a 2005 Solara convertible and I'm unable to locate the screws that you are describing. I've found one where the rear passenger seatbelt goes into the top panel, but no other ones. Also will I be removing the side panel along the door or something in the back behind the headrest?
    Thank you!

Good luck.
  • Can you please explain in more detail where to find this switch so I can disconnect it? I have a 2005 Solara convertible and I'm unable to locate the screws that the last ugy was describing. I've found one where the rear passenger seatbelt goes into the top panel, but no other ones. Also will I be removing the side panel along the door or something in the back behind the headrest? I'm confused as there is no armrest in the backseat like some are describing.
    Thanks!
    Arm rest is on your right. Once you remove screws, the panel will have to be pulled as you have speed clips that have to be unsnapped. Arm rest is really side panel but has place to rest your arm.
  • I have this problem with my 2005.

I've managed to remove the panel but can't see any vertical switch. An earlier post says it's covered with a black rubber jacket? How big is it?
    Is it UNDER the arm rest? I didn't remove that panel - yet.
    What wiring is running from/to it?
    Help!
  • More Mystery

I just went to the Toyota dealer. He says part number 84231-06010 is a courtesy lamp switch - cost=$20.50. He gave me a print out/diagram and that part number goes to a courtesy lamp in the passenger door. Then I gave him the clip number 75868-06020 and, while this number matched up to clips, they were $5 each. Kinda pricy for a small piece of plastic. Now if I can't get the right parts I'd like to just bypass the switch if only I could find it?
  • you must remove the entire panel. Look where the top bracket folds down. That is where the switch is located. It is actuated by the top bracket. It is toward the back of the opening. Took me a couple of minutes to see it. The top must be closed to replace the switch.
  • Switch is located on passenger side right above rear tire. You can almost access switch through crack when top is down. If you send me an e-mail where I can send you attachment, I can provide digital picture of switch. Remember, you must visualize convertible top coming down and frame on top comes down and presses switch to boost your amp to compensate for road noise when top down. If you unplug switch, radio will work but enhanced sound will not work as amp will not be boosted. If you take side panel off passenger side while you sitting in rear seat, switch is right by you elbow (right)
  • Got it!
    The trick for me was actually putting the top down, in stages, after removing the panel. I could then see where the descending frame tripped the switch.

I'm off to the dealer again with the switch in hand. I'll post the part number he gives me. As I pointed out 84231-06010 is apparently a courtesy lamp switch.
  • Job completed.

When I returned to the dealer I was waited on by a different guy who was familiar with the problem. As noted in this thread 84231-06010 is the correct part and Courtesy Lamp Switch is the description Toyota has assigned to the part.

Thanks for all the help.
  • I have 2005 Solara convertible with JBL 6 CD changer. The preset channel buttons on the stereo and the controls on the steering wheel suddenly stopped working. I can manually control volume and change channels but none of the buttons will work. the eject on the cd and cassette work. Any suggestions?
  • So if the amp is kicked on when the top is in th edown position. What if you used a zip tie or something to keep switch activated so that Amp would keep radio louder all of the time. Do you think this would cause any long term problems or fuses to blow when opening or closing top?????? Just wondering prior to buying the switch and replacing mine.
  • I'm not an EE but my gut tells me to repair it per specs. The cost is small and the only difficult part is figuring out how to get to the switch and then re-assembling the whole thing. This is explained on the thread and somewhat intuitive. Good luck!
  • Switch when unplugged (removing wires) will allow amp to be deactivated. Making switch by tie wrap will try to close circuit but with bas switch, problem will come and go. You can install new switch and tie wrap closed to allow amp to be powered up all the time but may be too much bass and sound with top closed. I would replace switch and allow system to work as designed.
  • I just purchased a 2007 Solara Convertible with a built in NAV system. I happen to own an XM from my previous car and thus have an account with XM. Is there a way to use XM through my NAV? I would rather not have to install the XM radio like I did in my other car? I see the SAT button - but it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Thanks!
  • We bought our 2006 Solara new from a local dealer. Your 07's description seems to match ours. "Our 06 was sold as "XM ready." Our dealer sent our car to their after sales, radio dealer who installed the actual XM radio for us. No problems and lost of fun. We toggle the SAT/AM button to move through XM's 2 screens of available presets (and one screen of maintainance settings) and back to AM. We can move up and down our preset channels and adjust the volume through the steering wheel controls, as well as by turning the dials and pushing the up/down rocker switch on the radio itself just like we can with the AM and FM channels.

I don't know if your local radio shop can install the radio you own to make your car's system operate as above. You may find a way to do that from others on this forum.

Lastly, I think your XM subscription is tied to the instrument. If you wanted to install an in-car XM system as I described above you might have to buy a new subscription to receive service on the new install.

Hope this helps,
    Meegwell
  • richjacyrichjacy Posts: 1
    Blozano you are a saint! I had this exact problem with my 2006 Solara. Radio and CD volume would cut in and out exactly as it does when ragtop was lowered and raised. Brought it in to the dealer and they immediately start talking about the antennae or anywhere between the radio and antennae- several hundred dollars fishing expedition. Even mentioned replacing $2000 stereo. They even stated that they had never heard that the volume cuts in and out when lowering or raising roof- suggested that this was a defect! I read your comments and realized the dealer had no idea what they were talking about. I ordered the part AGAINST the advice of the dealer's service guy who warned me about listening to internet forums.
    I removed the armrest first (1 screw- lift straigh up or otherwise you might break off one of the delicate clips that insert into the plastic support below) and then the upper side panel on the rear passenger side (2 screws). With those parts removed and the roof mechanism visible to the eye I lowered the roof halfway to see exactly where it made contact with the switch mentioned. It is immediately obvious when you do this. In fact, I could manipulate the switch with my finger and get the radio to cut in and out exactly as it had been doing randomly up to then. I then unscrewed the switch (2 screws) and unplugged it from the electical harness it connects to. From there, the new switch (which cost me $25) went right in and connected back up with no problems. Reassembly went smoothly, exactly in reverse. Problem is now fixed!!! Thank you Bozano- great advice!