Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

dubes1dubes1 Posts: 7
edited March 24 in Dodge
My 1999 Dodge Ram rear end just locked up at about
40 MPH. Almost put wife and I threw the
windshield. Anyone else have this problem.

Comments

• jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    Sounds like the rear end ran out of lube. Right now I haven't heard of any of the truck makers having any rear end problems.
  • I just had the oil changed at the dealership I purchased it from. Rear end lube was all over the street.
    Sounds like they didn't tighten the drain plug and it came off. Sounds like a free fix and an apology.
  • I am considering which to go with please offer help/opinions.(mp_green@hotmail.com)
  • I have a dodge ram 2500 with a v10 engine, just brought back to dealership because there was a problem with the front end of the truck, it just kept sweaking every time I drove it over a bump, it took a body shop almost 3 1/2 weeks to fix the problem. The whole entire front end had to be taking off to find the fix.
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    What was the fix? If you know, this could save others countless hours in diagnosing a nuisance problem.
  • brboybrboy Posts: 1
    I'm negotiating with a dealership on price and they want to charge a $550 advertising fee for my region. It was on the dealer's invoice they showed me. Has anyone else had this experience of a high advertising fee?
  • Bought a 99 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9 last week with 26,000 miles with extended warranty. I was cleaning the K&N air filter, and after reinstalling the filter, the Check Engine light came on. Is there anyway of resetting the check engine light. Every thing seems to be ok? This truck drives great, I sold my 94 Dodge 4x4 5.2 standard cab it had 80k no problems. This new truck has 285 75 R16's really looks good, no Rough idle, or tranny problems yet. Any input on the check engine light would be helpful!!
  • I know several people that have the K&N in their Rams. It should have nothing to do with the light. One thought is that you put too much oil on it and it dripped on the MAP sensor below it. Might want to check that out.
    As for resetting the light, I think you can just disconnect the battery to reset it. If the problem is still there, the light should come back on. Check this site for great tech data on the Rams:
    http://www.ecpe.vt.edu/~dfritz/
  • abaltoabalto Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
    Surviving black ice has more to do with speed, tires, straightness of travel, etc.. than the vehicle itself. When to engage 4wd may also have more to do with experience and driving skill.
  • ncsgtncsgt Posts: 1
    Gee thanks, That answered all of my questions about this truck.
  • Maybe you should not be driving a Full size truck if you don't know how to handle it?
  • I have a 98 dodge diesel with 43,000 miles and I am on my 3rd new automatic transmission.. I pull a 5-wheel camp trailer that weighs 9000 lbs. I just replaced the last one in Phoenix Arizona while on vacation. On the way home it began slipping in less than 1000 miles.....Is anybody else having any problems with autotransmission????
    All have been under warranty but no answers from dealers as to why.......
  • My brother bought a new 1995 Ram 2500 4x4 with the diesel. A couple of months later and the transmission started to slip. He had it rebuilt and then about a month later, it started to slip again. If he uses the overdrive manually, he can get it not to slip.
    I purchased a new 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad with the diesel. About two months after I got it, it started to slip out of gear when I turned left.
    The dealership was no help, they said that I should wait for the truck to get broke in.
    I'm at about 10,000 miles now, and it still is doing it. Anybody else?
  • dean52dean52 Posts: 12
    To try to answer your questions about handling.
    You have to remember your driving over 6000 lbs of truck. It doesn't matter what your driving if you hit ice the only solution is to use 4wd drive and go slow. Usually tires that are made for snow don't do as well in rain. Just remember your not driving a sports car.75 mph in a large truck in wet weather around turns sounds like suicide.
  • Can someone with a 2001 2500 DSL and the Hi-Output & 6 spd (2-wheel drive) tell me about mileage/maintenance? I am stationed in Korea and doing my homework before a possible purchase and was wondering if the mileage is as bad as the gas engines. Any other info on this particular model would also appreciated. Thanks, Alex
  • phhuttphhutt Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 1500 sat s. with the 318 engine and 68000miles. When driving in 4wd the drive shaft separated from the rear end with no warning. Truck was very hard to control and bring to stop. Anyone else have this problem???
  • I have a 2000 Ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with the 5.9 V8. Recently a whining sound has started when I am accelerating, I have taking it to the dealer twice and they have made adjustments to the air filter. Because they thought that it was sucking air and making the sound. None of this has work, has anyone else experienced this? I am really starting to think that my engine is messed up, and the dealership just doesn't want to fix it since it is still under warranty. Also I am debating on getting an extended warranty, any information on the best place to buy and if I should buy one? Thanks!
  • that you should check out: Pickups discussion Dodge Ram Problems and Finance/warranty discussion Extended Warranty... or not?

In addition, here's a direct link to Finance/warranty discussion: Talk Directly To 1Source Auto Warranty. Fyi, 1Source auto Warranty is one of Edmund's partners. You'll find the link to their website in Edmund's Consumer Advise section.

Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Edmunds.com Host
    Pickups Message Board
    I have heard that the 360 characteristically makes a whining sound. I would check around a few used car lots in your area and drive one similarly equipped in the same model year. I have done this several times and the information you gain is invaluable as to when the dealer tells you something is "normal". Sometimes it really is.
  • I own one of the 2000s and have taken it to the dealer a number of times. First and second time was for a rough idle, which they fixed both times by finding a cracked spark plug. The truck now has 13k and I noticed a "thump" when I start out in a slow rolling forward and then then accelerate. Sounds like a top heavy box falls over in the bed. Anyone every hear of that one? Dealer said it's normal. One of the mechanics said he has a Dakota that does that also.
  • Is it a 'whining sound' or a kind of a wooshing sound. If the air-cleaner was recently changed, the housing may not have been put back on right.

The air-cleaner has a screwey ring that goes over the opening to the intake manifold.

Even the dealer put it on wrong. It makes a heck-of-a-wooshing noise when accelerating.

Mine did ping but I found a TSB which has the ignition wires moved. No more noises.

Bob C

Otherwise my 5.9L purrs like a kitten.
    If the price is right, I will be trading my 99 quad for an 01 quad with the off-road package. What mileage are you getting with the 3.92 and the 5.9 liter engine. The off-road has the 4.1 rear end, and I know the mileage will be worse than my 5.2 with the 3.55, I just want to know how much. Any info will be great.

Thanks

David
  • I just bought a 2001 1500 Quad. I love it, but every time I drive over a bump or a dip in the road, it squeaks right behind my ear. It's starting to drive me crazy, and I can only keep turning up the radio to drown it out for so long. The dealership thinks it may be the new rubber seals on the doors and suggested I give it a few hundred miles to break in. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
  • Justbrow1, I own a 1999 Quad cab and I have the same problem tried a couple of things but
    it didn't help, the noise went away for awhile but just recently came back. I' am getting ready
    to replace my Goodyears, and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions, I have the
    245's on mine, mostly highway travel and an occasional dirt road. Anybody have any suggestions on increasing the gas mileage with my 5.2 I'am getting about 13 mpg, I have put in
    a KN airfilter but that's about it.
  • I have a 2000 Quad-cab with the 5.9l engine and the off-road pkg. Average mileage is 12.5mpg. I might squeak out 13.5 on a long highway trip.

One thing to consider about the Off-road package: Only Goodyear makes the LT275/70R17 tire size.
  • I figured out that when I roll the windows down, the squeaking goes away. At least that narrows it down, and the weather's nice anyway!
  • I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 with the cummins diesel. We pull a 31' Coachmen travel trailer that weighs approximatly 8500 lbs. We get 12-13 MPG on fairly level terrain and 19-21 when running solo. We bought it new and have 18300 miles on it with no complaints.
  • I am interested in purchasing a Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the Off Road package...It has the 4.10 Axle ratio...The dealer I was speaking to said that I would not be able to drive the truck over 70 MPH with this axle ratio...Is this true? I do a lot of Highway driving and sometimes it seems it's necessary to drive at higher speeds just to keep with the flow of traffic around here. I like the looks of the off road package and would like to go offroading sometimes...
    Your replies are appreciated,

Thanks,
    Joe
This discussion has been closed.